As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SSX] World class tunnel physics simulator

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So guys this game is pretty fun. I barely feel like i'm in control at all, just randomly hitting the right stick while i'm off the ground. Mostly down and left, unless I remember hey, yeah, i'm supposed to be doing different stuff. It's a good SSX game and the online stuff is pretty great.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hm. Well if you're not enjoying it, I would advise then that you go play something else, don't waste that Online Pass, let someone who might enjoy it play. Because the rest of the game is what you're doing now, but against human opponents many multitudes better than the AI. So you think those other racers are putting you to shame now, man. BlitzAce has a full 20 seconds on me on the course I'm best at. That's frustrating. And it makes me want to get better, not stop playing. If you're not feeling that, then do something else with your time.

Oh brilliant
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I was trying to beat people's race times. Then I remembered that I never raced in past ssx games because that is not what the game is about for me.

I'll let you guys have your sick race times. I'm all about flipping around as much as I can.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    I have to agree somewhat; the White Out mountain was dicks. It does seem like they forgot to add fun to some of the mountains...
    Death Zone, on the other hand, is awesome.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    So the DD's aren't that bad. They are annoying, but any obstacle in your way while trying to snowboard is going to be annoying. Truth be told, I think the varied styles of playing are awesome! I mean, I will tricky the shit out of this game all day long and still be satisfied with my purchase, so all the extra's with the racing and DD's and challenges, etc, are always welcome.

Controls seem great to me, they even have classic mode. The response of the controls is also fantastic. They give these characters a lot of breathing room if you want get down and dirty with them. Easily early contender for GOTY - and I don't have any DLC yet :D

Ghost whistler: If SSX is too hard for you, you can always try Whiteout.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So far I like most of the deadly descents, and survival runs are just about my absolute favorite in the explore/global modes. With the exception of Thin Air. Is the idea just to go as fast as possible? Because there didn't seem like a lot of strategy inherent in the oxygen tank.

Also I've really been enjoying the survival descents which demand wingsuits, and then the global challenges that restrict you to no wingsuits.

• ghost whistlerghost whistler explodicator HereRegistered User regular
    Hm. Well if you're not enjoying it, I would advise then that you go play something else, don't waste that Online Pass, let someone who might enjoy it play. Because the rest of the game is what you're doing now, but against human opponents many multitudes better than the AI. So you think those other racers are putting you to shame now, man. BlitzAce has a full 20 seconds on me on the course I'm best at. That's frustrating. And it makes me want to get better, not stop playing. If you're not feeling that, then do something else with your time.
    I used the online pass of course, why wouldn't I. Stupid idea they are anyway. Not that it makes any difference, if I sold it one it would be on the assumption the pass was used since you can't prove otherwise.
    The problems are these ridiculous deadly descents. They simply don't belong in the game at all as impleneted.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    You know you don't have to do the World Tour if its that frustrating to you. I finished the World Tour mainly because I like getting trophies, but honestly beyond the first part you don't need to do anything but Global Events or Explore. Any riders you want just cost 10,000 fun bucks and that's all.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    So far I like most of the deadly descents, and survival runs are just about my absolute favorite in the explore/global modes. With the exception of Thin Air. Is the idea just to go as fast as possible? Because there didn't seem like a lot of strategy inherent in the oxygen tank.

Also I've really been enjoying the survival descents which demand wingsuits, and then the global challenges that restrict you to no wingsuits.

I think the idea is actually to play it safe, I cleared it with no boosting, just a steady run concentrating on keeping the O2 somewhere in the middle, still wasn't in the red when I finished. Thin Air is notably the only one (I think) that doesn't have an achievement for doing it naked. Also the chopper pilot is so god damn misleading on Thin Air. "Woah, you're burning through your O2 pretty quick" is not an innocuous comment. Makes me think I'm doing something wrong. :P

The Cold Deadly Descent in Antarctica is actually my favourite so far, it's so deceptively straight forward, you don't realize you're absolutely fucked until the screen is full ice.

Oh brilliant

Wingsuits should have been incorporated into the trick mechanism rather than a gimmick for a special mode. Granted it's one of the easier ones but again it's not an actual race. The last 2 DD's are races and unless the AI spazzes out any mistake you make will cost you the race, and that's the problem. You can't make up lost ground, you have to restart. Quite where they found a group of playtesters that enjoy that sort of shit I really don't know. They must have been paid a shit ton of cash.

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Don't talk as if you know what belongs or not in the game. You don't enjoy it fine, but some people do! Try to learn the track's layout instead of restarting every time you wipeout, hoping you get through the dangerous parts through sheer luck.

Rewind is also a helpful learning tool. You hit a jump and fall down a cliff? Rewind and do the jump at the appropriate angle. Next time you go down that track you see that same jump you can remember that it,s easy to hit it the wrong way but you know how to clear it.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    The serenity trick it global event (somehow that course seems to lap itself?!) has a top scorer with 140 million points!

This is why you include regular multiplayer.

Fireflash wrote: »
    Don't talk as if you know what belongs or not in the game. You don't enjoy it fine, but some people do! Try to learn the track's layout instead of restarting every time you wipeout, hoping you get through the dangerous parts through sheer luck.

Rewind is also a helpful learning tool. You hit a jump and fall down a cliff? Rewind and do the jump at the appropriate angle. Next time you go down that track you see that same jump you can remember that it,s easy to hit it the wrong way but you know how to clear it.
    Rewind is no help at all. There's no point rewinding when you can't win as rewinding puts you further behind. You're just wasting your time.

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Rewinding is not to win this run on the track. It's to help you learn the track. Yknow, learning from your mistakes? Instead of carving down the hill blindly every time without even trying to remember the twists, turns and pits on your way down.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    ghost whistler, this game can be frusting sometimes, probably best to take a break and come back to it a few days.

I agree with you about the lack of tutorials, much like a fighting game they just throw you in the deep in, but if they entice newcomers I think they need to go out of there way to explain the trick and race systems better in game.

I also don't now how much the additional pitfalls / harder style of maps bring to the game. SSX3 had harder maps to the end of the game but more of maps seemed more mellow and casual (or I am completely misremembering things). I rather focus on beating scores or times then fighting the maps.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Actually the thing I really like about the Global Tour events is that while certain community members are robotic perfection, you can still get up to silver, gold, or platinum levels with some skill. Which reaps you a nice credit reward usually.
    Agreed. Gold is usually attainable without that too much trouble, and I've managed a few platinums as well. That said, I've seen some diamond scores that I'm fairly suspicious of.

cckerberos.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i actually loved the strategy for doing the DD, though i will say that some are better thought out than others. most of them are really fun but i personally detested the oxygen tank one. all the others were much easier (though i'm not sure how i'm supposed to do the darkness one with no headlamp... can you use the sonar thingy?). the one with the trees was actually really exhilarating to me, dodging and weaving over and under these huge dangerous obstacles was really fun.

in race mode rewind is usually unhelpful, though there are circumstances where it can be. i've had like, a 25 second lead and fallen off the course, rewound and then was still ahead of the other racers. plus in trick mode it's a lifesaver, nothing sucks more than building up a 150 trick combo only to bail like 20 feet from the finish line (or worse, bail INTO the finish line so you CAN'T rewind, ugggggggggggh).

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Man they must have uploaded someone's ghost data from the demo into JT2, having difficulty getting that gold.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    i actually loved the strategy for doing the DD, though i will say that some are better thought out than others. most of them are really fun but i personally detested the oxygen tank one.

I just did that one in world tour. REALLY bummed me out too, because the track look really fun to trick on. It doesn't help that with classic controls, the oxygen tank is controlled by clicking in the right stick. Manuals are on the right stick. It's just really confusing and all I ended up doing was going straight down the mountain, not trying to do any tricks.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    i finally got gold on JT2, but the dudes above me i dont even. im just going to be happy with my time and leave it for now.

edit: also, is there a way to invite people to friends only events that you create? or does it alert people at all?

edit edit: glowing big head and big hands. yes.

Ah_Pook on
    i hope there are more rare suits that grant cool powers or fun alterations like those.
    i like collecting the glowing ones for each rider.

i get irrationally excited when a mystery item drops in the shop. i gotta get some people up to lvl10 and see what stupid high end stuff pops up in there for me.

the problem with level 10 rare gear is that it get's REAL expensive.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    The top level gear is pretty great. It makes a lot of medals easier to get when you have a board with a 100% trick or speed stat.

sigcx.jpg
    edited March 2012
    money is of no object in this game. i can enter three big global events with a payout of over a million each for a gold medal. doing these enough is a constant stream of snowbux.

Local H Jay on
    man these o2 races arent very fun so far

I don't know how I feel about the gear perks in this. I spent a good thirty minutes trying to best someones time today and then gave up went back to the gear screen, reloaded it several times until I got a faster board and then blew past him the first try. (Sorry TheScruple)

It's weird to mix skill based gameplay with, oh this guy is going to beat you always because his board gives him a major advantage, makes the skill part feel hollow. Also I'm not sure what effect leveling up has.

I still don't get tricking, I'm trying to chain tricks together with manuals and little tricks but my scores are still not even close to what they should be. What effect does rewinding have on tricking? I notice it puts negative point score in there, but is that in addition (subtract) to whatever chain you had prior? Or does it completely replace whatever chain score you had going with a negative score?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Rewinding totally gets rid of your chain and deducts points from you as far as I can see. I just restart now, not rewind.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited March 2012
    Ugh, that's rough. Why not just take the wipeout in that case, or does that deduct points also?

Uselesswarrior on
    edited March 2012
    No, I don't think it deduct points. I'm not sure if you get any points from your chain though, I thought it gave the points without the mulitiplier, but I'm really not sure at all.

Though rewinding will not stop your flow and reduce your multiplier like wiping out does.

Yeah, no use rewinding except to learn courses.

Antihippy on
    Man, I really wish they didn't feel the need for this gear gimmick. The runs that have no gear requirements are by far the most fun. The ones that do just frustrate me. It's bumming me out.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hold L2 near the edges of cliffs to not die.

Also, I just realized you're the guy who would not stop posting about how much ya hated Mortal Kombat last year. You're uh. Not gonna do that again, right?

Cause. We get it. S'cool.

Seriously, all I'm hearing at this point is "abloo bloo this game's too hard" and "people who aren't placing Geotags my way are obviously doing it the wrong way"

(Protip: There is no wrong way to place Geotags)

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just did over 10k metres on one of the snowstorm descents. My pulse goggles gave up completely a little into my third trip down the mountain, but I still managed two more before making a bad jump. Go go flares and remote memorization!

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Speaking of online pass, is not having it going to significantly impact my enjoyment? I have the japanese region one and can't seem to redeem my pass.

You should be able to create a Japanese PSN account and use the code there. I did that for one game I imported that came with a preorder bonus. It should work on your regular account as well, once you use the code and download everything.
    The stick controls for tricks are not properly explained either as the controls list rotating the stick as a means to tweak them as well as RT. What does that mean?

If you do say just LEFT you get trick A. If you do LEFT then tap RIGHT before the LEFT registers and gives you trick A, you get trick B. If you do LEFT and hold R2, you get trick A tweak. If you do LEFT, the LEFT registers and gives you trick A, and then you tap RIGHT, you get trick A tweak.

uyvfOQy.png
    Reynolds wrote: »
    If you do say just LEFT you get trick A. If you do LEFT then tap RIGHT before the LEFT registers and gives you trick A, you get trick B. If you do LEFT and hold R2, you get trick A tweak. If you do LEFT, the LEFT registers and gives you trick A, and then you tap RIGHT, you get trick A tweak.
    No, that's not what I mean. You are talking about a regular move. The game says that you can do a move like (tap right then push left), and that you can also tweak that by rotating the right stick in the same way as using RT/R2. You can do it all on the stick apparently.

Right. That's what I said. They talk about it during the freefall tutorial for about a half second. I was curious so I took the time at the end and tested it further.

If you do a trick, and then move the stick without returning it to neutral to end the trick, it will do a tweak. I wasn't noticing it during runs because I always had R2 held down to boost/tweak.

uyvfOQy.png
    edited March 2012
    What?

I don't think I've heard of that.

Only R2 is for tweaking as far as I know.

Antihippy on
    I mean...I sat there and played with it for a bit. It works. It's just hard to notice unless you're doing the tutorial or a really long drop that, for some reason, you weren't boosting off. There is basically no reason you'd ever use it, but it's definitely there.

uyvfOQy.png
    Hold L2 near the edges of cliffs to not die.

Also, I just realized you're the guy who would not stop posting about how much ya hated Mortal Kombat last year. You're uh. Not gonna do that again, right?

Cause. We get it. S'cool.

Seriously, all I'm hearing at this point is "abloo bloo this game's too hard" and "people who aren't placing Geotags my way are obviously doing it the wrong way"

(Protip: There is no wrong way to place Geotags)

Protip: if all people are going to do is place them in ravines then the idea was a waste of everyone's time.

• chidonachidona Registered User regular
    It's just, I don't know what you were expecting. Would you prefer the game be too easy? As it is, it's a challenge, sure. But nothing in this game is impossible, the Global Events high scores are proof of that. So nothing is objectively broken or 'too hard' - your complaints come across as being mad you're not good enough.

Dark Raven, super high 5.

I mean, I'm just at the last DD now and honestly? The DDs aren't /that/ difficult. At all. Sure, some took a couple of tries, some had a fairly arbitrary mechanics (the O2 in the Himalayas, the cold in Antarctica), but even then it was still a refreshing challenge and gave forced me to look at tracks in ways I never had thought about before, which was really cool. Even the medal events - a gold really FEELS like a gold, y'know? You have to put time and patience into a track, and part of that is finishing all the way to the bottom instead of restarting every time you fuck up.

I just want to say that wingsuits are amazing and I want them in every future SSX game ever. I wish that they had been incorporated with tricks better though, imagine a wingsuit uber. Also, the Himalayas are my favourite region so far.