As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Gesundheit; Sneeze of Mystery

• zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    Burn in hell, heretic. (The motto of Team Sigmar.)

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Skinwolves look awesome, though for some reason they don't seem chaosy at all.

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    More VC than anything.

• bringatoweltoobringatoweltoo Registered User regular
    Those arcane frogs desperately need a Hypnotoad paint job.

I can't be the only person thinking this.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Skinwolves look awesome, though for some reason they don't seem chaosy at all.

You mean the lack of spikes and tentacles?
    Gotta say, the fluff is very definitely WFB Chaos, and of a fairly old school too; specifically they don't "transform" as much as that 9ft tall wolf body literally bursts out of the human host (hence the ragged strips of skin all over them) under the influence of some ritual or other. The hosts get to feel everything BTW.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Not saying about the fluff, just that the models don't really fit in with anything in the GW or FW Chaos range. They fit more with Beastmen.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't see werewolves fitting in with beastmen at all.

VC maybe. Even that's super iffy.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Sons of Ulric yo. These should be Empire.

What - using the warp and tearing through skin means you need to be Chaos? Psh.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    Short tourney writeup, will have more on the blog later.

12 people attended - seems like the break down was thus:

2 Dark elves
    1 Warriors of Chaos
    2 Beastmen
    1 Lizardmen
    1 Skaven
    1 Chaos Dwarfs
    1 Orcs and Goblins
    1 High Elves
    1 Daemons
    1 Empire

Round one I drew High Elves. Dude used Teclis. He is completely and utterly broken, beyond any broken model you've ever played against. A summary from a site I found:
    He is arguably the strongest caster in the game and tends to get a huge amount of power and dispel dice. Teclis gets +D3 dispel and magic dice from his staff and then is usually in an army that also has the Banner of Sorcery which grants +D3 more dice. Defense-wise, he has an extra-powerful dispel scroll, +D3 dispel dice, and +5 to dispel. This means that he actually destroys both sides of the magic phase for your opponent. Not only can they not dispel your spells, they also have a hard time casting anything themselves.

I didn't get one chance to even use my dispel scroll. He irresistible forced every single spell. Completely unfun. I lost, gained 5 battle points.

Second game I drew Chaos Dwarfs. He had two tractors and then a gunline with four shooty warmachines. He ran his tractors forward first turn, I mindrazored my gor horde and ran in and destroyed both in one turn with strength nine, ungors, and razorgors. He couldn't come back from that and I ran through his gunline. Tabled

Third game I drew Orcs. He thought he could hold the line against me but I made it there and just chopped him up. This one was battle points for killing their general with your general and then wiping out stuff. Tabled. I managed to get enough points to get into second place.

I really enjoyed myself except for that first game. I can't stress enough how bad Teclis is.

E26cO.jpg
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    So while looking for 28mm heroic scale african heads I came across this blog post from a startup mini company that is trying to set up production of plastic minis. It's pretty interesting.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    Warhammer fantasy tournament report is located here. I used a cool piece of software to produce an old-school WD style report for the third game.

E26cO.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Just realised those Skinwolves would make badass proxies for VC Crypt Horrors. Not a fan of the uber-ghoul look, but as werewolves? Yeah, I'll take that.

337432_md-Chaos%2C%20Warhammer%20Fantasy%20Battles.jpg

-Loki- on
    So I hate to bring up the whole GW's prices suck thing again but I've decided that as a incentive to get painting done, I'll reward myself with a nice character mini, say from gamezone for every unit I get painted and actually sealed.

That led me to notice that $17 gets you this from gamezone
    gzm0403_1_3.jpg

While $15 gets you this from GW
    m1182344_99060209171_OGGoblinWarbossWolfSpearMain_445x319.jpg
    If I'm not mistaken that's the same wolf that comes in the wolfriders box.

Also, I find the fact that coolminiornot is the US distributor for GameZone and apparently makes their own minis to be pretty bizarre.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2012
    Gamezone stuff pretty much always surpasses GW stuff. They do really nice models. In fact, a lot of other companies do stuff nicer than GW. You want goblin stuff? How about this fatass goblin king.
    aow10.png

Or this goblin hero.
    aow04.png

Or this goblin shaman.
    image003.png

Those are all just from Avatars of War. What GW does best is plastics, and breadth of their range. No other company has as much to offer. Sure, there's stinkers in their range, but they vast quantity of awesome models outdoes basically everyone else due to how much they sell.

-Loki- on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    So yeah, the Gamesworkshop store near me/my work is closing since the little plaza it leases from decided that a T-mobile store that promised a 10 year lease is enough to say "fuck it" and give my store a 30 day notice to get the fuck out. Needless to say, GW is pissed and the store is in its final days and there is nothing to do. Apparently it is one of the best stores in the area too, thanks to the new guy in charge actually giving a shit and actually engaging with his customers in a non-bullshit "So what armies do you play?" manner.

There is a Bunker "near" me at about 35-45min away which is kind of bullshit and many speculate that a new store opening in its stead is highly unlikely.

• MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    At the very least, you need to start slipping notes under the T-Mobile store's door with vile curses in skaven runes.

snm_sig.jpg
    Such bullshit, now I'll have nowhere and nobody to play this stupid fucking over priced hobby gave with.

Oh well, maybe I will finally catch up on my painting.

OK, so Battlescribe.

I think I've worked out how to add, say, magic banners to the O&G roster. Now is there a way to copy that list to another unit or do I have to add each item to each unit that can take a banner?

steam_sig.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    OK, so Battlescribe.

I think I've worked out how to add, say, magic banners to the O&G roster. Now is there a way to copy that list to another unit or do I have to add each item to each unit that can take a banner?

I assume you're talking about the catalog editor? Because you can cut, copy & paste in that. Just right-click the item. If you copy something that has child elements those copy as well.

Really handy for dwarfs when you want to copy the runic items entries.

I are very smart so I don't be needing your help Keenbean.

Thanks.

steam_sig.png
    So I'm going to be getting someone into Warhams this weekend. He said he's pretty sure he wants to play Fantasy, the only problem being that I've only got my WoC army.

I'm also unsure of how I'll teach him Fantasy at a micro level. With 40k I've always just thrown down a Sentinel, a couple squads of 4-5 Guardsmen, and some Space Marines. I feel like a lot of Fantasy is lost if I'm only using 3x2 infantry blocks, plus I'm unsure of how to show him magic and shooting. Here's the models I have:
    -42 Halberd Warriors (including 3 full commands)
    -20 HW/Shield Marauders (including full command)
    -10 Hounds
    -10 Knights
    -2 Characters

Play Mordheim?

I can't envision a situation where fantasy can be even remotely entertaining on that scale.

Play Mordheim?

I can't envision a situation where fantasy can be even remotely entertaining on that scale.

Apparently there's a Fantasy equivalent to combat patrol. It's not perfect, but we can make it work:

-500 points
    -1 Special OR 1 Rare (not both)
    -At least 1 Core, one of which must have 10+ models
    -0-1 Hero, 150 point limit including up to 30 points of magic items

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If you want to have small cost games with magic, use bound spell items like the ring of volans and such instead of going straight for full on wizards.
    Also, as you have noticed, but low point games and Chaos Warrios do not mix well due to multi-hundred point heroes, never mind lords. Regular humans and 'human scale' armies like Skaven and O&G do a lot better there. Plus with goblins and skavenslaves you can have impressively large blocks of infantry for relatively (points wise anway) cheap. Maybe it would be worth getting one of those Army Books and rolling "counts as" for a little?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Gnoblars!

edited March 2012
    That's your answer to everything, Gabriel_Pitt.

...and it's a good one!

mr_mich on
    Here's the lists I put together for Border Patrol. They're 425 points, but I feel like it'll give us a good showing of all 4 phases, and uses the models I have available:
    425 points:
    -Exalted Hero (Ruby Ring of Ruin, Shield)
    -20 Marauders (Light armor, shields, full command)
    -5 Warhounds
    -5 Warhounds
    -5 Marauder Horsemen (shields, throwing spears)

425 points
    -Chaos Fire Sorcerer (Level 1, bare)
    -10 Warriors (Halberds, full command)
    -10 Warriors (Plain, no command)

I feel like he should take the first list, because he won't have to worry about miscasts and he'll have more options to take care of less targets. My army will basically be on autopilot.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Mr-mich i think you would be better off with your 2nd list, its going to have the punching power compared to the other list where as i have found warhounds to be pretty lack luster.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• YannYann Registered User regular
    I played some border patrol today! Empire vs High Elves. We did 600 points though, which works great.

You really want to limit the power/dispel dice to 2D3 though. Makes a fighter general a slightly more viable option.

Draeven wrote: »
    Mr-mich i think you would be better off with your 2nd list, its going to have the punching power compared to the other list where as i have found warhounds to be pretty lack luster.

You misunderstand; I'm playing them against each other to teach someone Fantasy.

• HenryWardHenryWard Registered User regular
    Do you think that the Marauders list will have a real chance? 10 warriors will probably dice up a 20-man block of Marauders, probably even with a cav unit lodged in one flank. The hero being on the Maruaders' side helps, but still...

So can I get a few rule clarifications? If a unit charges down a unit that it broke in combat then do they get a reform at the end of their movement? Also if a unit is destroyed by unstable do the units that beat it get a reform?

steam_sig.png
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    If a unit charges down a unit that it broke in combat then do they get a reform at the end of their movement?
    No.
    Also if a unit is destroyed by unstable do the units that beat it get a reform?
    Yes, as long as they don't overrun.

steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
    edited March 2012
    So according to the rumor mill and my soon to be out of work GW store manager, there is going to be a new line of paints coming out. How large, or what they do, is beyond me. Probably better coverage, more consistency between batches and a higher price tag.

I mean, to be blunt, Citadel paints aren't the most consistent and GW has had issues with suppliers and having to discontinue several paints. Tentacle Pink, Imperial Purple, etc.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The paint range is being expanded, with the addition of further differentiated pigment concentrations, with the goal being, fer ex, you want to paint some good looking Blood Angels GW style, use this particular set of foundation, base, layer, wash, highlight, bam, good looking model, more accessible to people who haven't mastered mixing, blending up, shading, what have you.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited March 2012
    The rumour mill is saying new names that are copyrightable (for example, Skull White is fairly generic and they can't copyright the name, so it's changing to White Scar, which they own), and the range is doubling in size from 72 paints to 144 paints.

As long as they keep devlan mud around, they can do whatever the fuck they want to their paints and I won't care.

-Loki- on
    HenryWard wrote: »
    Do you think that the Marauders list will have a real chance? 10 warriors will probably dice up a 20-man block of Marauders, probably even with a cav unit lodged in one flank. The hero being on the Maruaders' side helps, but still...

That's a good point. I hadn't thought about how easily the best warriors would devour those units.

Since it's his first foray into tabletop gaming, I may just use small illegal units to show him basic mechanics. Like, 3 models in a rank.

That's the best way to do it. Make units that illustrate how things work and don't hamstring yourself from making good examples by unit size of list percentages and things akin to those. List building is a lot easier to pick up and you just say up front, 'these aren't legal units, but they show the rules I need to demonstrate best.' It's how I've taught 40k a couple times, using like, 3 terminators, a rhino, a couple of bikes, tac marines with special weapons and a couple of scouts.

Yeah i think 40k is easier to teach. I have a hard time visualizing how to teach fantasy because so many of the mechanics are based on ranks of troops. Plus my army has zero shooting. I'll just focus on rolling tables and movement.

If I hear another person say that 8th Edition sucks or it dumbed it down or whatever I'm gonna end it all.

E26cO.jpg
This discussion has been closed.