As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    True story: my husband doesn't really like tahini in his hummus

He is wrong but such is life

But yeah, people making mojo for the first time may want to opt for a cilantro-free version for the traditional experience, or may just love cilantro and go for that

Speaking of curry, now I want some

Do you want a good chana masala recipe?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    My new apartment has a gas stove! I am excited to finally be cooking with gas.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Egg white on its own is not great. But egg yolk + white is ace.

So on my fried eggs, the yolk is runny and i spread the goodness all over the egg.

Yesss, so good.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular

Man, that is terrible.

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote:

But yeah, people making mojo for the first time may want to opt for a cilantro-free version for the traditional experience, or may just love cilantro and go for that

Speaking of curry, now I want some

Do you want a good chana masala recipe?

Yes! I don't get to make much spicy stuff what with my hunka burnin love's acid, but when the cat is away, the mouse will make curry

Here ya go!

http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/02/chana-masala/

I would recommend that you buy as many of the spices whole as you can and grind them at home when you're actually using them. They'll be much more pungent. So for instance, the recipe calls for 2 tsp ground cumin seed and then 2 tsp whole cumin seed toasted and ground. I prefer to grind all 4 tsp myself instead of using pre-ground. I also get my garam masala from a local spice shop that mixes their own and sells it whole so I can grind it fresh myself. The only stuff I don't grind myself is the cayenne, turmeric, and paprika.

Try it with amchoor powder if you can get it. We didn't care for it and just use the juice of one lemon instead of amchoor powder and lemon juice. I'd also strongly recommend you buy dried garbanzo beans in bulk and cook them yourself. They're both cheaper and better tasting than canned in my opinion. And they take up less space dried.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    baking a devils food cake.

Forgot to flour the pan...

Hopefully it doesn't stick too bad.

EDIT: Okay it came out fine. Now to put this frosting on it and stuff.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It's not cooking but I picked up a bag of kimchi fried rice at Trader Joe's, as I wanted to try something with Kimchi without the risk of buying a package myself and finding out I disliked the taste

It was really damn good, added a great flavor to the rice that I really enjoyed, so I think I'm gonna look into getting some kimchi to cook with now

Look at the ingredients on the kimchi you try out. A lot of brands in the states will make napa kimchi without fish sauce or shrimp paste. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but if you try a kimchi and find you like it, you should note whether or not it has fish sauce and/or shrimp paste. Try a few brands out and figure out if you prefer it with or without. I'm guessing the TJ's kimchi fried rice doesn't have fish sauce or shrimp paste.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

I did this the last time I baked a regular cake - I buttered the pans but brainfarted and didn't flour them. The pans were already semi-nonstick so I thought it wouldn't make a difference, but I had a bastard of a time getting them out. Glad yours turned out better.

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    neville wrote:
    we need more people asking for dessert recipes!

Snickerdoodles please. Mine still aren't quite where I'd like them.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

I did this the last time I baked a regular cake - I buttered the pans but brainfarted and didn't flour them. The pans were already semi-nonstick so I thought it wouldn't make a difference, but I had a bastard of a time getting them out. Glad yours turned out better.

Yeah it was just a silver disposable pan too so we could have manhandled it out if need be.

But it turned out pretty tasty, just wish my friend hadn't wanted dark chocolate frosting on it.

Also I think it could have used a minute or two less in the oven than what the recipe said or something because it was a little dry.

Need to buy an oven thermometer.

EDIT: @neville how do I make gingersnaps?

Tallahasseeriel on
    speaking of snickerdoodles, I'm normally not that big of a fan
    but a local bakery makes the best snickerdoodles I've ever had
    they got the texture just right

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Look at the ingredients on the kimchi you try out. A lot of brands in the states will make napa kimchi without fish sauce or shrimp paste. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but if you try a kimchi and find you like it, you should note whether or not it has fish sauce and/or shrimp paste. Try a few brands out and figure out if you prefer it with or without. I'm guessing the TJ's kimchi fried rice doesn't have fish sauce or shrimp paste.

I will take note of this!

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Janson I didn't take your comment negatively at all. You can't love everything, right?

Do you have a good lasagne recipe though? I want to cook a big meal this Sunday but don't know what to make yet. I might do enchiladas or a shredded bbq pork in a slow cooker.

I have 'a' lasagne recipe, and it's always been successful with guests, but then I've not exactly been cooking for people with gourmet tastes! It's also French-style rather than Italian-style, as with pretty much any lasagne made in the UK.

Spoilered so as to not offend any decent cook:
    Anyway, it's:

Ground beef
    1 large can tomatoes
    Fresh garlic, finely chopped
    An onion (or two, if small)
    Mushrooms
    Herbs
    Salt & pepper
    Sometimes a beef stock cube (depends on quality of meat and whatever seasonings I do/don't have!)

Milk
    Flour
    Butter (1/2 stick)

Lasagne sheets

Lots of cheese!

Fry the onion (usually in olive oil) and mushrooms; add the beef and the rest of the ingredients, leave to simmer for a while. While it is simmering, make the white sauce with the milk/flour/butter. Layer the meat and sauce in a lasagne pan, top with lasagne sheets and then the cheese. Bake in the oven for 30-40 mins or so.

It's a pretty vague recipe because what I exactly put it in depends on what I have in my fridge at the time!

Anyone have a good carrot cake recipe? Mori's not a fan of carrot cake but I'd like some and I'm thinking perhaps I could just make a small one, or maybe a batch of cupcakes and then bring them into work. I like my carrot cakes moist and with sultanas (raisins for the US folk).

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I will post my famous (stolen) lasagna recipe.

You will need:
    A deep pan - I like to use those foil pans you can buy at the store for cheap.
    A big stock pot (for sauce and meatballs)
    Another big pot to boil noodles in
    A big mixing bowl (for meat)
    Some lasagna making stuff (hamburger, ground pork, olive oil, oregano, parsley, parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, some eggs, breadcrumbs, a bunch of noodles, garlic, crushed tomatoes, some kinda red wine, and beef stock)
    Some aluminum foil

I like to use meatballs in my lasagne because I saw it on TV one time. Then I decided to try it, and it was totally awesome. I've modified the recipe to my own taste, but I think it's mostly still sound. Most of the seasoning goes into the meatballs, which then steep in the sauce forever.

So for my meatballs I use
    80/20 hamburger, ground pork, parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, oregano, and a shitload of parsley. If it seems like you're using enough herbs, you're probably using too little - you are literally going to be steeping these meatballs in your sauce like so many delicious tea bags. Pile in the herbs. I promise it'll even out in the long term. Also a few eggs. Why am I not being precise with the measurements? Because I don't know them offhand. I always just kind of eyeball it (I'm kind of stupid that way), but whenever I make this stuff I make a lot of it, so I generally do like 3-5lbs each (depending on how much meatball grazing I think I'm in for) of hamburger and pork, probably 2 cups of parsley or more, another 2 cups of parmesan cheese I'd bet, most if not all of a can of breadcrumbs, and enough eggs to moisten it up. A bit of salt doesn't hurt, either. Assemble the meatballs, pan fry them in a small amount of whatever oil (I use the olive oil because I used to watch too much of the food network).

When those are done, deglaze with the wine and transfer the liquid to your stock pot. Add crushed tomatoes, garlic (don't put the garlic in the meat because it'll burn when you fry it and taste like balls), the beef broth (to taste, really - I use a lot), and the meatballs. Let it work for an hour or two and then add more of whatever ingredient you want for taste ( more parsley, parmesan cheese, whatever).

After a while you can start cooking your noodles. Salt the water, cook and drain. You want them to be just shy of tender because they'll continue to cook as you're baking them. You're looking for slightly chewy but without any crunchiness.

In a mixing bowl mix ricotta cheese, parsley, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese and an egg or two and set it aside.

Pull a good few of the meatballs out of the sauce and set them in a dish so they can cool. You're going to want to mash them up a bit/break them apart.

Oil up your pan and start layering stuffs, starting with meat, noodles, cheese, meat, noodles, cheese, etc. I like my lasagne bulky and super-deep, so I do 5 or more layers, but a lot of people do less. Do it to your preference. The secret is to cross up your noodles. Lay them all vertically on one layer, then all horizontally on another layer. This will help keep it from coming apart as so many lasagnas seem to do.

When you've built it to the desired height, top it with lots of mozarella and parmesan cheese, sprinkle on a fine dusting of parsley, and then wrap the top in foil. I want to say you'd bake it at 350 or so for about 45 minutes. I probably ought to write this kind of stuff down...

I (and my friends) can safely say that this lasagna is the best lasagna we've ever had. And I've eaten a lot of it in my day. Also, the leftover sauce is super, super delicious for any kind of other pasta, including spaghetti or as a dipping sauce for bread.

e: One final thought - You're probably reading this and wondering "where's the onion?". I don't use any. I don't feel like it needs it.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    So I am 90% moved into my new place. The house is right next to a whole foods, a great taqueria, a cajun butcher, a church's chicken, a chicago hot dog place, and an award winning BBQ joint.

That'll do pig. That'll do.

easysig2.jpg
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Stale, you're going to end up with half of SE++ vying for a spot in your house like some kind of fucked up reality show

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    @janson I will hit up my mother for hers. As she has had that recipe for twenty plus years and has given it out to everyone.

Blake - awesome! Thank you :)

cabsy wrote: »
    Stale, you're going to end up with half of SE++ vying for a spot in your house like some kind of fucked up reality show

there is also a dive bar across the road. parking lot full of bikes. doors swinging open, molly hatchet playing too loud.

easysig2.jpg
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »

I can't ever return to the U.S. because I will die of lack of Korean food. I am almost certain. I have reached a point where I will be sad forever here, without real cheese and bread and beer, and sad forever there, without easy access to cheesy street bokkis* and pigs' feet boiled in years-old broth.

Friday night we went out and got a kind of fiery-hot beef short rib that is frankly delicious. We had it with oyster jeon and these pancakes that are made of seasoned meat wrapped in perilla leaves then dunked in egg batter and fried.

6b76db5390b62d54bf1bdc1.jpg

fa44d467cd29fb608e8bd64.jpg

Also this morning I made ham and cheese waffles. Highly recommended. And I don't even care for ham.

*not an actual food name

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yes.

I would eat those Korean thingos right there.

I made coconut sorbet guys.

You should all make it.

It is both delicious and idiot proof.

Like unless you accidentally thow a boatload of semen in it I can't see how you could fuck this recipe up.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    You can fuck it up by adding coconut.

Because coconut is awful.

Fyndir, you use a fucking lid.

another terrible food opinion courtesy of fyndir

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Blake T wrote:
    Fyndir, you use a fucking lid.

Of course I do, I like to make things nice. 8->
    Druhim wrote:
    another terrible food opinion courtesy of fyndir

You're welcome.

Fyndir on
    jesus... fyndir is the new #pipe

no one listen to him.

easysig2.jpg
    As if anyone ever did.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Fake coconut is super gross

Real coconut is ok, though I'm so put off by years of being forced to eat fake coconut that I generally avoid it

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm going to jump on the anti-coconut bus too. It's not a flavor that I enjoy.

edited March 2012
    I can totally get not liking coconut flakes in stuff. Dried coconut tends to have an annoying texture. But I love the flavor.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    I have trouble eating a lot of coconut flesh.

I love the flavour though.

Hm, actually, not sure if I've ever had real coconut as a flavour rather than as flakes on something.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Even coconut water is hit or miss for me, whatever brand that Dru gets is pretty good but any of the other bottled ones I've tried have been gross. Fresh is fantastic though.

Usagi on
    Also janson here is my mum's recipe.
    HEATHER’S CARROT CAKE RECIPE
    Ingredients
    Bowl 1.
    1 ½ cups wholemeal flour (sifted)
    ½ cup plain flour (sifted) (officially ½ cup soy flour)
    2 teaspoons bicarb of soda (sifted)
    2 teaspoons cinnamon (sifted)
    ½ teaspoons salt

Bowl 2.
    2 cups grated carrot (I use 3 cups)
    1 cup coconut
    1 tin drained crushed pineapple
    1 cup chopped walnuts

Bowl 3
    ¾ cup sunflower oil
    3 beaten eggs
    ¾ cup milk
    2 cups sugar

Mix a little, then:
    Add bowl number 2 to bowl number 3, stir with wooden spoon.

Then add bowl number 1 and fold in with wooden spoon.

Line 2 rectangular tins with baking paper.
    Divide mixture into both tins.
    Cook at 180 degrees for approximately 55 minutes.
    Cool in tin for 5 minutes before turning out.

Philly Cheese Icing.
    120g packaged cream cheese
    3 cups icing sugar
    60 g butter
    1 teaspoon grated lemon rind and maybe a little juice.
    Beat cream cheese, butter and lemon rind; gradually add sifted icing sugar.

Huh, spoiler is not loading on my phone! I shall look at it when I get home, thanks!

I dislike every bottled coconut water I've tried, but drinking straight from a coconut is amazing.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Yeah I'm going to jump on the anti-coconut bus too. It's not a flavor that I enjoy.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I wish there were a grocery search site that would let you find specific grocery items by searching nearby stores. I discovered earlier that the commissary where I normally shop seems to have stopped carrying Cento San Marzano tomatoes.

This discussion has been closed.