As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AlphaMonkey lives! Downtime at 11...

ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
After going offline for a bit, I'm back. I'm not going to go into much detail, but basically summer rolled along and I picked up an engineering / network ops internship. I hit it off with the lead engineering type and we've been jamming on a lot of large sites like PA. After spending 10-12 hours infront of a computer I just didn't have the energy to sign on to the forums. That said, much like an eerie stalker, I was always watching... (The forums are tied to my cellphone, so if you guys go offline, I know about it) Some cool changes went down without you guys noticing, and some more cool ones are slatted in the "real soon now" category. That brings me to my next point....

Downtime!

I have to drag you guys offline for a bit tonight. MySQL has some fun security vulnerability that I just can't ignore, so it is going to get patched. At the same time I'm going to move the database to a new piece of hardware. (RAID 10, Dual Opteron Processors, 4GB RAM) It was created from the fallen ashes of the box that used to run the whole site and it's slave box which was never stable due to its flaky parent. If I have time during this maintenance window, I'll try and get a fix on outbound email. The whole thing should take ~1-2 hours, barring any major problems. If I run into problems, I'll let you guys know via the usual means.

Älphämönkëy on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2006
    Maybe you should appoint a coding admin for the times when you're not able to be here

Tube on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Good to see you alpha.

We missed you.

<3

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Alpha, could you be so kind as to put the links to the IRC rooms on the downtime page?

That's where quite a few people were during the last downtime; made for some good chattings.

Kriz on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Ok. All done. You guys will probably have to take an outtage tommorow evening as well but you will get loads of bug fixes in return. :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    Mr. Yos MannMr. Yos Mann Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    My cellphone alerts me when the forum has a MySQL error.
    It just gives me a message about someone strangling a cat to death.

Mr. Yos Mann on
    shinichiropot2.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Update: The load balancer we bought had a password left over on it, and it took us a while to get that password from the guys we bought it from. I don't have an ETA yet.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    was the thread deletion timer moved back... i suddenly have far more searchable post history than i did in previous months/etc

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Deusfaux wrote:
    was the thread deletion timer moved back... i suddenly have far more searchable post history than i did in previous months/etc
    Not that I'm aware of, but now that you mention it, the database is huge right now.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    TrashieTrashie Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Noticed the thread watching emails are back. Thanks, alpha! I do enjoy that feature.

Trashie on
    Trashie.png
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    Trashie wrote:
    Noticed the thread watching emails are back. Thanks, alpha! I do enjoy that feature.

I wish we could subscribe to threads without it junking up our email every time someone replies, but it seems I'm just full of unnecessary feature requests lately.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Monoxide wrote:
    Trashie wrote:

I wish we could subscribe to threads without it junking up our email every time someone replies, but it seems I'm just full of unnecessary feature requests lately.

you mean like an option to only email once for the first new reply and until you return to the thread?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Trashie wrote:

you mean like an option to only email once for the first new reply and until you return to the thread?
    That's a no go. But I can make it so you can remove yourself from notifications :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    That said, much like an eerie stalker, I was always watching... (The forums are tied to my cellphone, so if you guys go offline, I know about it)
    I don't know why, but I'm really impressed by this.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Trashie wrote:

That's a no go. But I can make it so you can remove yourself from notifications :wink:

is that because its something you'd have to code in from scratch?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    TrashieTrashie Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Monoxide wrote:
    Trashie wrote:

They it works for me is I get emails about threads I've posted in. I don't get another email until I've gone back to thread to check out responses. It's pretty slick.

Trashie on
    Trashie.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Sweet. Watching topics is one of my favorite features.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    Trashie wrote:

is that because its something you'd have to code in from scratch?
    It is because I would have to make a change to the database schema, and while I certainly can do it, there are better places to spend my time.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2006
    I'm with trashie on this one. I thought the default behavior was exactly what was being described/asked for ( one email sent on thread reply, no emails sent until you revisit the forums ).

Is that not true?

I think it would be awful / useless to have a watch thread feature that would send you a separate email on all 300 replies that the average thread around here gets.

Ramius on
  • Options
    GnuGnu Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'm just as confused. I thought that's the way it's always worked, and the way it currently works again.

Or maybe there's a difference between the "watch" behaviour and the "reply" behaviour that I'm not aware of? I never set threads to watch; only email notifications to threads I've replied in.

Gnu on
  • Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2006
    Ramius wrote:
    I think it would be awful / useless to have a watch thread feature that would send you a separate email on all 300 replies that the average thread around here gets.
    I agree, though I'm pretty sure that's the way it always worked which is why, after accidentally turning it on once, I never turned it on again.

denihilist on