As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OLD [STEAM] Thread: CLOSE ME

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    do we have a group or something for paying days?
    I did a couple of the missions in single player this morning, but didn't have much luck getting into internet games.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    we got a pretty good population from just hanging out in the penny-arcade group chat. it usually pretty easy to set something up.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    So Steam thread, these two games are vastly different but I can't decide:

Alan Wake and Wargame: European Escalation.

I've heard very good things about Alan Wake from some community members and also trusted RL friends, and now that it's on PC I really want it. However, I love real time strategy and Wargame also comes highly recommended. I can only get one. Someone say something inspirational one way or another to tip me towards one.

Do you love horror fiction? Does your heart hold a secret spot for the writing of Stephen King? Are your dreams ever filled with a creeping dread stirred to life by the ancient Lovecraftian horror of a malevolent elder god? Does Rod Serling narrate your waking hallucinations and nightmares alike? Would your private thoughts make David Lynch giggle with glee? Do you enjoy slightly repetitive combat wrapped around a gripping story set in a beautiful/horrible environment with awesome characters?

Alan Wake.

Do it.

Unghhh I love all these thiiiiinnnggs so many emotions.

If it's not too late to chime in on this one, I would also describe myself as the person above, and I loved Alan Wake. I even spent $60 at launch for 360 and thought it was worth every damned cent. On top of that I'm going to re-buy it on PC during a sale.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    So I think I'm going to start that Postal 3 let's play soon. Any suggestions on formatting it? It will be entirely text and images, but what ratio should I go for? Can I just link to images straight from Steam?

• Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    I had some trouble with my recording of Tunnel Rats so I might do a text/image LP as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    So I think I'm going to start that Postal 3 let's play soon. Any suggestions on formatting it? It will be entirely text and images, but what ratio should I go for? Can I just link to images straight from Steam?

Oh I'm so excited! You should be able to link images from your steam account. As far as content, do what feels right.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Did anyone else get that D&D bundle from GG? What game should I start with? I was thinkIng BG 1 or 2. Are there any mods I should use?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Did anyone else get that D&D bundle from GG? What game should I start with? I was thinkIng BG 1 or 2. Are there any mods I should use?

Tutu

It runs BG1 in the BG2 engine

Which is much more fun

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    or alternatively Trilogy. Both do the same thing more or less.

Edit: also a widescreen mode might be appreciated:)
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    When is the Hitman: Blood Money LP being done by Tube?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    When is the Hitman: Blood Money LP being done by Tube?

It isn't Blood Money. It's Hitman 2. Huge difference.

• Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    ErSFQ.jpg
    If it runs well, and is reasonably priced, I might buy this "steam box".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man, I like the game, but it is a bloody shame they had to ruin prey with the stupid spirt walk death mechanic. It would have been FAR superiour without that. Oh.. I died. Woop-di-doo time to shoot some ghosts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    striderjg wrote: »
    Man, I like the game, but it is a bloody shame they had to ruin prey with the stupid spirt walk death mechanic. It would have been FAR superiour without that. Oh.. I died. Woop-di-doo time to shoot some ghosts.
    I actually really liked that mechanic. Instead of "load my latest quicksave and pretend that didn't happen" it's "wee let's shoot some ghosts." If you don't like shooting stuff, then maybe Prey isn't the right game to be playing, and replacing "quickload hotkey" with "shoot things" sounds like a win to me.

• Options
    striderjg wrote: »
    I actually really liked that mechanic. Instead of "load my latest quicksave and pretend that didn't happen" it's "wee let's shoot some ghosts." If you don't like shooting stuff, then maybe Prey isn't the right game to be playing, and replacing "quickload hotkey" with "shoot things" sounds like a win to me.

Ya, I understand the intend, but it doesn't work at ALL for me. Basically I just don't care anymore. Death in the game at this point for me means really nothing as there is not consequence. As for not liking shooting things, nah, not me:) I just like a challenge as well, and the oh, your dead, shoot some ghosts and your back EXACTLY were you were just ruins it. You could probably win the game if you stand in one place for every fight firing and just die 10 times and then pop back with no regression after shotting some ghosts. Lame.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Man. Vessel is like Rockhard with Water physics. I'm digging it so far. Still pretty early on, though. Just got to:
    first nozzle upgrade area

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    busfahrer wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Yeah, no hard feelings at all, I was just pissed last night due to what happened. Thanks for explaining.

And yeah, PA server is full a lot, so having 2 will help. I was surprised how cheap they are.

The nerd in me is giddy that 3 of that IP's fields are single-digit.
    Or how about the fact that
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    WITH BLACKJACK....
    IP is 8.6.3.103
    8 + 6 + 3 + 3 + 1 = 21
    Coincidence? I think not.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Steambox = steam ranking of PC's?

BRILLIANT!

• Options
    Matt343Matt343 Registered User regular
    So, how much of this steambox stuff do we know from sources beyond that one article? While that site may be legit, the article seemed like speculation based on unrelated quotes for the most part, and I want to make sure we aren't jumping the gun on this one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Matt343 wrote: »
    So, how much of this steambox stuff do we know from sources beyond that one article? While that site may be legit, the article seemed like speculation based on unrelated quotes for the most part, and I want to make sure we aren't jumping the gun on this one.

That article is the only source. So yeah, this could very easily turn out to be completely untrue.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Man, the Lego games don't ever drop in price, do they. At least we don't have to pay console prices for them.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    I do love this Steambox and standardized system requirements idea, but isn't Valve the same company who partnered with EA to publish thier console games just to avoid the headache of making and shipping physical products? It seems unlikely that Valve would make such a huge shift in direction all of the sudden like this.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    I do love this Steambox and standardized system requirements idea, but isn't Valve the same company who partnered with EA to publish thier console games just to avoid the headache of making and shipping physical products? It seems unlikely that Valve would make such a huge shift in direction all of the sudden like this.
    They're not necessarily shipping physical products, they're endorsing a standard.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    in case anyone missed the $5 sale last week, but is enjoying the free weekend now - amazon has payday for $7.50 instead of steam's 10

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    They're not necessarily shipping physical products, they're endorsing a standard.
    ...and, allegedly, making a "Steambox" that conforms to and encourages those standards, no?

Darlan on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I know I bitched about this in chat, but M&B REALLY freaking needs auto saves.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Man, the Lego games don't ever drop in price, do they. At least we don't have to pay console prices for them.

?

Every lego game I searched for was either as cheap or cheaper on Amazon for consoles.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    They were really cheap during Christmas. Even came bundled at one point I believe.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    ...and, allegedly, making a "Steambox" that conforms to and encourages those standards, no?

Their partners would be the ones actually making it.

What's the deal with that image @SquiddyBiscuit posted? Does it have any significance? Where is it from?

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the opinions earlier guys, ended up getting Alan Wake. I'll pick up Wargame later. I'm one of those guys who likes playing against the AI and the campaign as much as multi in RTS games, so the community isn't an issue for me.

Anyway... played Alan Wake for... I don't really remember how long. I'm at Lover's Peak. This game's use of sound and music makes it really goddamn tense and atmospheric, if I ever have to be in the forest at night I think I'd shit my pants now.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So Portal 2 just isn't fucking working for me. It crashes at the loading screen right after the splash videos. Suggestions?

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Source SDK is downloading something that's 2 gigs big for me, what's that all about?

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Peewi wrote: »

Their partners would be the ones actually making it.

What's the deal with that image @SquiddyBiscuit posted? Does it have any significance? Where is it from?

A valve employee tweeted that pictures a few months back. some people are saying its a prototype

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Echo wrote: »
    So Portal 2 just isn't fucking working for me. It crashes at the loading screen right after the splash videos. Suggestions?

Does the same for me, actually. It worked fine when I played it a couple of months ago.

EDIT: I verified the game cache, Steam downloaded 18.5 MB of Portal 2 and now it's working.

Peewi on
  • Options

Does the same for me, actually. It worked fine when I played it a couple of months ago.

EDIT: I verified the game cache, Steam downloaded 18.5 MB of Portal 2 and now it's working.

Yep, did that several times. Downloads the same 18.5 megs each time. Still no worky.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Oh man, I was planning on playing some Portal when I got home. Now you've got me all nervous.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    So, not sure if the Steam thread is the right place for this question.

I've had a hankering for an economics sim for the past two weeks but don't really have any money to invest in buying some to test if they are good. I remember that I have Patrician 4 on steam and try it out yesterday and really like it.

I seem to remember somebody saying that Patrician 3 was a better game, and think it was someone in this thread. Can anyone comment on why Patrician 3 should be better, since I like the graphics in 4 and don't want to spend 4,5€ buying 3 if the "better" thing about 3 is mostly someone preferring sprites over 3d models. Is there a significant gameplay difference?

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Yep, did that several times. Downloads the same 18.5 megs each time. Still no worky.

I tested mine out just now and it worked fine. Then I verified the cache and it also downloaded 18.5 MB, but it still worked when I loaded it up. And it looks like it redownloads that file every time I verify too, so that's probably not the source of your crashing.

Other Source games work fine, I take it?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Anyway... played Alan Wake for... I don't really remember how long. I'm at Lover's Peak. This game's use of sound and music makes it really goddamn tense and atmospheric, if I ever have to be in the forest at night I think I'd shit my pants now.

Glad it's working as intended for you!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    SteevL wrote: »
    Other Source games work fine, I take it?

Episode 2 works fine. Finding tons of google hits for the exact same issue, with zero solutions. :x

edit: get me my old smileys back!

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.