As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Official I Hate [Final Fantasy] Thread: Dead like FF XIV's userbase. New thread.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    When you get the 7777 coins win on the slot machine does the fragment just pop up or does it trigger when you leave it?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    When you get the 7777 coins win on the slot machine does the fragment just pop up or does it trigger when you leave it?

The screen with go dark and it'll pop up then and there along with a little voiced clip saying as much. If you're just taping down L1 and walking away though, you'll obviously not know until you leave the machine.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Arkady wrote: »
    the biggest surprise to me about the 13 reactions was that apparently lots of people liked wandering around towns full of developmentally damaged NPCs

which isn't to say that 13 does a great job of worldbuilding necessarily, but most of the elements it removed were never anything but semi-mindless padding

You and me, hating pointless town excursions together!
    Lack of towns wasn't really a big deal as it was made out, it was more of a symptom of a larger problem, but that's the part that stood out on the surface for a lot of people. It's an easy dot point problem that's really the tip of the iceberg of larger world building, storytelling and art direction issues. FF13's setting felt hollow, very gamey rather than creating a world you could lose yourself in.

It's not that towns are all that important or useful for gameplay purposes so much as they can do a good job of helping ground a setting or giving it a sense of place. Making it seem like a real environment that people live in and has an internal logic to it. Plus they can be good beats for pacing, or hubs for stories.

If the world and it's inhabitants were shown better in the game (instead of explained in a datalog), if the pacing was better, if the environment design was smarter then the town thing probably wouldn't have even been noticed.

Yeah. Pretty much. My problem with FFXIII wasn't so much lack of towns. It was that you never really had time to take anything in.

• Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    LOVE that song...so much.

Fixed. It's my default choco theme.

I love Vamo'alla Flamenco from FFIX, but Crazy Chocobo is now the default chocobo theme from now until forever.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Example of a game (and series) that perfects rpg towns? Trails in the Sky.

Houses and living quarters (above shops) for everyone fully furnished. Restaurants, general stores, and the like. Believable economies and modes of transportation (which aren't instant). NPCs that talk about current events both local and elsewhere in the world, with complete dialog changes after every event. In-world readable newspapers.

Most believable rpg world ever.

That sounds way too good.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Just completed my platinum in 13-2.

Few random thoughts:

-- I completed the game with Team Choco (tm). From the moment they became available, I used only chocobos in my monster pack. For most of the game I went with Blue - Red - Silver, and when Goldie became available to me, I swapped him for Red

-- I got my 99,999 Damage trophy very easily on the Long Gui with Goldie. I didn't really have to make any special preparations or anything. Goldie had minimal infusions. I think I infused maybe 3 monsters into him and that's it. I gave him a tonberry with Str/Mag +35%, I gave him Role Resonance, and I gave him Pack Mentality. That's it.

-- I've heard horror stories of how long the end boss can take. On my first kill, I completed the final stage in 6 minutes. On my second time through to see the final Paradox Ending, my kill was 2:57. Yeah. Team Choco rocks it.

-- Worst part of the game for me was tracking down Captain Cryptic. So annoying.

-- I had terrible luck capturing my Blue Chocobo. It took me 24 kills. Of course, that was very early in the game. Well before I had the improved capturing fragment skill.

-- I did one of the earliest parts of the game out of order. I went to Sunleth and Archylte before going to Yaschas. Because of this, I was way overleveled and pretty much breezed through the rest of the game. Of course, my time spent in Sunleth and Archylte was rather difficult at first. Many of the standard fights were extremely challenging when I first arrived, and I died a lot.

• JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    So I beat Feral Chaos (the first time you fight him.) I was worried I was going to have to do something stupid, like a low level Iai Strike build. All I did was switch up my equipment to give me multipliers specifically fitting him (Enemy HP>10000, Large Gap in HP, etc.), throw Sniper Eyes on everyone, and equip EXP to Brave. Zidane did well, Firion did the lion's share of the work, and Squall cleaned up. Prishe and Kain didn't have to do anything.

Firion is pretty great. Once you learn FC's attacks, you can pretty much play matador and punish him with Double Trouble after every move. Also works for normal Chaos, who is very susceptible to the new and improved Straightarrow.

sig.gif
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    The more I think about it the more I think that dispute the game's other failings FF13-2 had easily the best executed final boss in the series.

It is easily up there with the dread you feel in FF6's final boss.

FF13-2 final boss spoiler:
    Jet Bahamut with his arms crossed is badass enough, then they pan out to show that you're about to get tri-raped. I think its easily the most intimidating boss in the series.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Understood

I obey

Kupo

I rather love the Paradox Endings. I think Marvellous Mog's Flan Plan is the best.

Oh brilliant
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I think the flan one would have been better had that not chosen someone to voice Mog with that obnoxious tone and they way they constantly said Kupo (and the way "kupo" was voiced) that made me want to stab the fucking thing. It was this exact mixture of a snotty tone of voice that a teenaged bratty girl has and indifference to the actual thing being said that was just infuriating to me.

I've always liked Mogs in FF games but good lord the voice in XIII-2 was insufferable.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Think the paradox endings are the only real things I have left to do, beyond the odd fragment and the paradigm shift,chocobo riding and pre-emptive strike achievements.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    I think the flan one would have been better had that not chosen someone to voice Mog with that obnoxious tone and they way they constantly said Kupo (and the way "kupo" was voiced) that made me want to stab the fucking thing. It was this exact mixture of a snotty tone of voice that a teenaged bratty girl has and indifference to the actual thing being said that was just infuriating to me.

I've always liked Mogs in FF games but good lord the voice in XIII-2 was insufferable.

That's because it was voiced by a snotty teenaged girl. It's this girl from Modern Family: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1736769/

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I liked Mog's voice. I was all prepared to hate everything about that character, and I ended up really enjoying him.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I liked Mog's voice. I was all prepared to hate everything about that character, and I ended up really enjoying him.

Probably because of the throwing.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Well that was part of it.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I hit a great glitch with Mog; kept picking him up to get him to 'come to me' so I could use his reveal ability. Ended up getting his wailing stuck on repeat for a good few minutes.

It was good times.

All done with Paradox endings! I think next up, I'm monster huntin'

Gotta redo Academia 400AF to do the QTE on the boss at the end, that's not gonna be fun. Even one shotting all the enemies, I'm gonna be hitting battles every couple seconds. But there was an optional boss there that I couldn't handle my first time through. Should be able to tear him up now. ;D

That said, the Paradox Scope version of
    Serah alone vs Caius was fuckin' nuts. I'm level 20, and I think I've levelled pretty well, you know? 1000 magic, over 5000hp, I wasn't expecting an easy fight per se, but dayamn. He could take me from green near full health to dead in one chain, no opportunity for me to heal. I finally got lucky and he stopped chain breaking just long enough for me to switch to COM/COM and spank him. Twice. Luckily Noel's version was much easier. One Mega Javelin or whatever, boop, dead.

Oh brilliant
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Just got that FF8 copy at my local Play'nTrade only to open the disk to find that

a. The fourth disk is missing

b. IT'S FUCKING FF7!! Somebody tricked these assholes. Either that or they can't read numerals...

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Jurg wrote: »
    So I beat Feral Chaos (the first time you fight him.) I was worried I was going to have to do something stupid, like a low level Iai Strike build. All I did was switch up my equipment to give me multipliers specifically fitting him (Enemy HP>10000, Large Gap in HP, etc.), throw Sniper Eyes on everyone, and equip EXP to Brave. Zidane did well, Firion did the lion's share of the work, and Squall cleaned up. Prishe and Kain didn't have to do anything.

Firion is pretty great. Once you learn FC's attacks, you can pretty much play matador and punish him with Double Trouble after every move. Also works for normal Chaos, who is very susceptible to the new and improved Straightarrow.

WTF are you all talking about?

• Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    TDWH is talking about one of the Paradox Endings of XIII-2.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Yeah I was responding to the person directly above my post. O_o

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    While Jurg is talking about Dissidia Duodecim.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    Dissidia Duodecim does parties? I thought it was just one character at a time like Dissidia.

And I didn't know there were FF6 characters in FF13-2

There is a moogle called Mog in XIII-2. However this is not the Mog from VI. Just a Mog.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    It's kinda like tournament style battles. You do assemble a party but they fight one at a time.

And Mog is just another Moogle. No relation to FF6's Mog.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Just got that FF8 copy at my local Play'nTrade only to open the disk to find that

b. IT'S FUCKING FF7!! Somebody tricked these assholes. Either that or they can't read numerals...

The fourth disc is FF7 instead of FF8 disc 4, or all three discs are FF7? If its the latter, you got a better deal, seeing as how 7 is more expensive than 8.

1208768734831.jpg
    Oh, Mog is the new Cid.

"Mog" is the generic Moogle in all the games after 6.

1208768734831.jpg
    I don't recall running into a moogle in 7, 8, 9, 10, or 13. But I hate 7 and 8, and barely remember anything about 9 and 10.

edited March 2012
    Houn wrote: »
    I don't recall running into a moogle in 7, 8, 9, 10, or 13. But I hate 7 and 8, and barely remember anything about 9 and 10.

Yeah....That thing Cait Sith rides? Its a "mog", according to the translation. First summon is Choco/Mog. There's a moogle minigame in an arcade featuring mog, too.
    I don't recall running into a moogle in 9

Are you sure you played it?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    I remember a dude with a tail. And a princess tomboy. And some weasel with a spear and a red hat. And Vivi. And that the plot was basically the FF movie with the one planet taking over the core of the other.

edited March 2012
    The plot was more Dragon Ball Z, to me. Except I don't think the other saiyan dudes were evil, other than Kuja. I never saw the FF movie, though. And there's nothing that could possibly induce me to do so.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited March 2012
    VII moogle: The giant toy Cait Sith rides on. And the summon. And in one of the Golden Saucer games.

VIII moogle: Apparently a GF that you could only get with via that pocketstation minigame we never did get.

IX moogle: Like everywhere. They ran that mail service thing. I'm also pretty sure they were save points in a lot of areas.

X moogle: One of Lulu's dolls.

XII moogle: Also everywhere. One, Montblanc, ran the clan hunt.

XIII moogle: One of the shops was called the Moogleworks.

It's not that complicated. They're exactly like chocobos, they just pop up in one form or another.

The Wolfman on
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

The fourth disc is FF7 instead of FF8 disc 4, or all three discs are FF7? If its the latter, you got a better deal, seeing as how 7 is more expensive than 8.

All three. I already beat it.

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS

All three. I already beat it.

You should sell it then. You can get some good money for FF7.

I can't imagine there's a big market for VII discs in a VIII case. Especially considering that it's on PSN for 10 bucks.

I can't imagine there's a big market for VII discs in a VIII case. Especially considering that it's on PSN for 10 bucks.

If he could find a collector who was fine with just the disks... But then you're probably right. He'd only get collector money if he had the whole deal.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular

No, but if you can find an appropriate case, and print out labels, and put VII in said newly formed case, it's a collector's item (provided you do it right).

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    IX moogle: Like everywhere. They ran that mail service thing. I'm also pretty sure they were save points in a lot of areas.

Literally every save point is a moogle, even on the overworld (you call a moogle with a whistle to save). That's like, the most moogle heavy game in the series as far as I can remember.

House of Paincakes on
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular

Literally every save point is a moogle, even on the overworld (you call a moogle with a whistle to save). That's like, the most moogle heavy game in the series as far as I can remember.

I recall the save points in the final dungeon being crystals or something. I want to go back and play FF9. I got up to the last boss but never actually beat the game. Same thing with FF7. And FF3.

sig.gif
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    TDWH is talking about one of the Paradox Endings of XIII-2.

Wow. There are paradox endings? They went all out on this one. I am still working through the first FFXIII.

Krathoon on
This discussion has been closed.