As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. ALL OF IT. DON'T ARGUE ABOUT DLC

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know I hope that level scaling is done differently this time.

I really don't want us level 30 start people to be bit in the butt like we were in ME2.

The enemies scale up to you as far as I have heard.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well...it isn't the scaling I'm worried about.

Moreso how the upgrade system affects it.

I expect the first few levels on Insanity to be pretty tedious unless we get a big credit bonus for importing.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    has anyone said anything about import bonuses yet

i'm curious

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    well, the ending spoilers are making the rounds

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    taky says insanity is roughly equal to silver

which is fine, because gold is just silver with extra phantom/atlas spam

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    I think insanity basically just makes shield absorb 75% instead of 50%, right?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    taky says insanity is roughly equal to silver

which is fine, because gold is just silver with extra phantom/atlas spam

I don't even mind the Phantoms. It's enough to either focus on one, stasis one or have a Krogan charge one while you shoot it, keeping it in place. Atlases though? I hate them by now. All they do is take half a minute to take down. Just don't run into it, that simple.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »

taky explained it as two different systems

shields cap any incoming damage to a certain amount

that's why fast-firing weapons get rid of shields - each shot can only do so much damage, but with so many shots, the shields are depleted fast. this is why stuff like the widow isn't great for taking down shields. number of shots count more than damage per shot.

armor, on the other hand, does a flat percentage damage reduction. if your gun does WTF levels of damage, the armor is still only going to take off, say, 40% of that. 40% of WTF levels of damage is still a LOT. that's why widows and the like punch through armor so easily. power of shots counts more than number of shots.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Good thing the main game wont force you to take all the weapons. The demo really made it hard on power-dependent classes like the Adept.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Atlases are tanks. They focus your attention while the snipers set up, the phantoms start flanking you, and the engineers begin dropping turrets.

And if you figure out what's going on, you have one person plink the atlas while everybody else deals with the flankers. Which is just as it should be.

Kinda like how Engineers are good for controlling territory.

They all play a role in making the battlefield a dangerous place to run around in. :)

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Hardcore makes shields absorb 75% of the break-through damage, normal is 50%. We don't know what insanity is (100%, maybe). That's not the only difference, though -- their damage and defense increases, and their AI behavior is more aggressive.

Edit: Oh, that's a constant thing the percentage refers to, not just the overflow damage?

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Technicus RexTechnicus Rex All your base.Registered User regular
    So how much hard disc space does the origin preloaded game take up?

I've got the xbox360 CE ordered and plan to install any and all game discs to yo the hard drive. Iv managed to clear out about 30 Gigs of free space, that should be plenty I hope...

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazi's. You can't trust people. - Super Hans.
  • Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    Good thing the main game wont force you to take all the weapons. The demo really made it hard on power-dependent classes like the Adept.

Yeah, before I played the MP I was like "dude, Vanguard is going to be annoying with these long cd's."

Then I discovered the ways abilities/loadouts/builds find synergy and was very pleased.

• Options
    the thing with atlases is they act on your baser instincts

it's BIG so it must be the BIGGEST threat on the battlefield

which 9 times out of 10 it's not

pro teams ignore atlases and save them for the end of the wave, killing everything else first

RxI0N.png
  • Options

Hardcore makes shields absorb 75% of the break-through damage, normal is 50%. We don't know what insanity is (100%, maybe). That's not the only difference, though -- their damage and defense increases, and their AI behavior is more aggressive.

Edit: Oh, that's a constant thing the percentage refers to, not just the overflow damage?

Ah, I see.
    And Insanity really is Silver?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    How do you deal with the end-of-wave rush on Gold anyway? Seems like there'd be 6 or 8 of the damn things just plowing into the LZ, along with tons of engineers and phantoms, so you can't just pull them away from the LZ, or you'll find turrets all up in your business when the time comes to extract.

I've only been to wave 8, so that's why I ask.

• Options
    Ah, I see.

It's supposed to be roughly equivalent, yeah.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »
    How do you deal with the end-of-wave rush on Gold anyway? Seems like there'd be 6 or 8 of the damn things just plowing into the LZ, along with tons of engineers and phantoms, so you can't just pull them away from the LZ, or you'll find turrets all up in your business when the time comes to extract.

I've only been to wave 8, so that's why I ask.

simple: don't be in the LZ when wave 11 hits

be holed up on the opposite end of the map, then rush the LZ ONLY when you've got 30 seconds on the clock

works every time, enemies spawn near you. if you aren't near the LZ, neither are they.

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    A nightmare by Manwiththemachinegun:

Wrex stands broken, bleeding from a hundred wounds. Thousands of husks swarm around him, clawing over the broken remains of their dead. As they finally drag the mighty Krogan down, eager to tear him limb from limb, he looks at the camera and says...

"Shepard, if only you had scanned all the Keepers."

• Options
    A nightmare by Manwiththemachinegun:

Wrex stands broken, bleeding from a hundred wounds. Thousands of husks swarm around him, clawing over the broken remains of their dead. As they finally drag the mighty Krogan down, eager to tear him limb from limb, he looks at the camera and says...

Don't sweat it. I got that shit. 8-)

• Options
    You better have scanned that trio of eezo-rich asteroids or the Turians won't have enough warships to help.

• Options
    Didn't rescue that quarian? Good job, now the Migrant Fleet is sitting this one out.

• Options
    Ah, I see.

Huh, well my Engineer is doing fine in silver, so maybe I'll start the campaign on insanity for shits and giggles. I can always turn it down when it's too dumb.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    If you didn't use the Consort's trinket,

(tiny ME3 spoiler)
    You can't recruit the Brothean, even if you buy the DLC.

• Options
    AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Registered User regular
    If you ordered the digital download special edition of the game the soundtrack apparently is available to download now.

• Options
    insanity's only hard when your cooldowns are boned like in the SP demo

when i'm carrying only a shotgun, i expect to RIP AND TEAR

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »
    If you didn't use the Consort's trinket,

(tiny ME3 spoiler)
    You can't recruit the Brothean, even if you buy the DLC.

Haha, if that spoiler was true, Bioware's HQ would burn on release date.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    More like hope you collected all the League medals.

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    Ah, I see.

Huh, well my Engineer is doing fine in silver, so maybe I'll start the campaign on insanity for shits and giggles. I can always turn it down when it's too dumb.

Remember, you won't have three humans backing you up in the campaign. Even really, really bad players are better than the AI teammates.

Plus going down is game over instead of 'revive me!'.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    what worries me is this Galactic Readiness score. I get that you can get it up either in singleplayer or multiplayer, but whenever they asked someone "if someone played just the singleplayer, will he be able to get the best ending?" they seemed to have dodged the question

correct me if I'm wrong here guys

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Guys, ME3 is a thing that is actually happening.

I may just fire up ME1 & 2, just to go through the battle of the Citadel, the Collector base, and a few other big action missions to get super psyched.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    If you strip mined all planets within relay range, you defeat the reapers, but no system can support expansion and everyone collapses into resource wars.

NONE OF THEM EASY.
    As they finally drag the mighty Krogan down, eager to tear him limb from limb, he looks at the camera and says...

This is how I envision that death scene.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    what worries me is this Galactic Readiness score. I get that you can get it up either in singleplayer or multiplayer, but whenever they asked someone "if someone played just the singleplayer, will he be able to get the best ending?" they seemed to have dodged the question

Don't worry about it. There are enough points in just the Single player to get any ending.

MINOR ENDING TALK ABOUT WHY THEY PHRASED IT THAT WAY. VERY, VERY VAGUE.
    I think they dodged it because there isn't a linear scale of endings from worst to best. Things can be drastically different and its hard to say which is 'better'.

• Options
    Z0re wrote: »
    Ah, I see.

Remember, you won't have three humans backing you up in the campaign. Even really, really bad players are better than the AI teammates.

on the other hand, i don't have 2 extra instant powers on command when i play multi, so there's that.

you can get the best ending by having no friends, yes :P

RxI0N.png
  • Options

They've said you can get the best ending with just the singleplayer. But you'll have to do most if not all of the singleplayer content to do it.

Basically, you can't do a critpath run and expect a good outcome the way you could in ME1, and with some finangling, could in ME2. Or at least that's my understanding of it.

And you'll be getting bonuses depending on your actions in previous games, so I wouldn't worry about it at all.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

they have actually done the exact opposite of dodging the question

Bioware has been very clear that MP is not at all necessary for the best ending

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Z0re wrote: »
    Ah, I see.

I can usually solo the first 4-5 waves on Silver pretty handily.
    I'll be fine.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    More like hope you collected all the League medals.

And not just enough to complete the quest.

You need all of them.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know I hope that level scaling is done differently this time.

I really don't want us level 30 start people to be bit in the butt like we were in ME2.

I don't think NG+ was that bad in ME2. Well, the Freedom's Progress YMIR sucked, but after that... having all your powers was more than compensation for losing your weapon/armor upgrades.

htm on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    the thing with atlases is they act on your baser instincts

it's BIG so it must be the BIGGEST threat on the battlefield

which 9 times out of 10 it's not

pro teams ignore atlases and save them for the end of the wave, killing everything else first

The only times an atlas provides difficulty is when it's the first target you have to kill in a given time. And even then, that's doable by itself. Usually that only occurs on round ten though, so you're even good to use your missile launcher on it.

Phantoms shouldn't have insta-kill moves. Atlases can do that too, but it serves to prevent you from charge-nova-spamming. Phantoms though are dangerous enough as it is, they're actively hunting you down and their blaster can incapacitate you in two shots on gold.

Unrelated, does anyone know why the limit is four players instead of six? Every class has something to provide: Infiltrators can make short work of Atlases, Engineers are good at crowd controll and with defenses etc. etc,

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

This discussion has been closed.