As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] PAX East Trading Cards 2012 (You can mail your cards again)

• Options
    adastraadastra Registered User regular
    Got my cards from Jakprints and there were 107 cards in there - not the epic overages that some have gotten, but just right! ;-)

I'd be interested to see how cards from other printers (like Zazzle) turn out. I do a lot of printing for work and we use a bunch of different printers interchangeably. Jakprints is a pretty reliable one, Zazzle has been a bit hit-or-miss, and there are others I like more than either!

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    So I .. uh.. borrowed some time at work to use the Photoshop I had there.. and came up with these:
    SmallFront.jpg
    SmallBack.jpg

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I could also still use some assistance with getting a few of the badges that have been mentioned in this thread, but weren't in the template.. namely the Kingsport Raiders badge (to replace the current Assassin's one), and an Xbox360 badge (to go where the space currently is). If anyone can help with that, it'd be awesome, since my photoshop skills were limited to what you see above :)

Thanks in advance to any feedback you send my way.

• Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    Looking good, man!

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    EchoZeroEchoZero Registered User regular
    I am still in need of a kind soul to help me put my card together.

• Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    EchoZero wrote: »
    I am still in need of a kind soul to help me put my card together.

You have a PM :)

signature.png
  • Options
    I know I'd seen a set of the assassin's ball badges floating around somewhere, any chance anyone can send me a link to them, need them to help some people with card creation! Thanks!

signature.png
  • Options
    rascalrascal Registered User regular
    Hey ITZ, the badges are from MarsChelios' post:
    For those who are playing Assassins Ball this year if you'd like to rock your faction on your card I've linked the 100x100 transparent png images below for use. If you need the .ps files to tweak things to get them display better let me know. I'll update when the last two factions are ready.

Kingsport Raiders
    faction_image_small.png

Robot Ninjas
    faction_image_small.png

Varsity Dead
    faction_image_small.png

Cowboy 'Verse
    faction_image_small.png

Also for those playing we'll be making some trading cards. Initially we were going to do a set for each faction but we may end up doing just one card so we can print more. Our idea is to give you two per kit, one to keep and one to share/trade.

• Options
    malicious nerdmalicious nerd NYRegistered User regular
    Unless something radical happens to the schedule, it is looking like we will be meeting Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 6:30 PM. Sunday will be in the Westin after the Omegathon/Closing Ceremonies. Still deciding on the locations for Friday and Saturday.

I'll keep lurking this thread for details then. :)

PAX East 2012
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Time Off: [x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @maliciousnerd
    Gamertag: Fr3akyxAssAssIn
  • Options
    Thanks Rascal!

signature.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Cards for me and for the A-Team just arrived from Zazzle, and they look great! The sole quibble is that the cards are 1/16" shy of 2.5" x 3.5". What do the finished Jakprint cards measure?

The cardstock is a good weight, about that of a playing card. The finish is slightly glossy, like a lustre photo finish (non-textured). The saturation and colors are true to how I had edited the photo, and the printing and cutting is consistent and even.

It took 5 days from ordering to delivery using the standard shipping option. Now I'm thinking about making non-PAX trading cards as gifts.

I haven't counted the cards but am assuming it's the 100 I ordered and without the free bonus cards that Jakprints sends.

rascal on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    rascal wrote: »
    Cards for me and for the A-Team just arrived from Zazzle, and they look great! The sole quibble is that the cards are 1/16" shy of 2.5" x 3.5". What do the finished Jakprint cards measure?

The cardstock is a good weight, about that of a playing card. The finish is slightly glossy, like a lustre photo finish (non-textured). The saturation and colors are true to how I had edited the photo, and the printing and cutting is consistent and even.

It took 5 days from ordering to delivery using the standard shipping option. Now I'm thinking about making non-PAX trading cards as gifts.

I can't wait to see how your cards turned out! It will be good if we have extra options next year.

• Options
    browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular

I can't wait to see how your cards turned out! It will be good if we have extra options next year.

agreed. if you feel like sharing a pic of the finished product, I'd love to see one!

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    Hey PDave, I'm looking forward to trading cards with everyone (and comparing printers!). Perhaps adastra can suggest additional printers to check out -- I've only used a couple. I used Vistaprint recently for a lot of varied printing work, and was generally very happy with the work and pricing; but they have been a bit weak with delivery times for me in the past. They don't have an off-the-shelf 2.5"x3.5" product, but their standard postcard is larger than 2 trading cards: someone handy with a paper-cutter (and alignment in Photoshop) could make him/herself 500 cards for about $15.
    adastra wrote: »
    I do a lot of printing for work and we use a bunch of different printers interchangeably. Jakprints is a pretty reliable one, Zazzle has been a bit hit-or-miss, and there are others I like more than either!

Hey adastra, which printers have you liked?

• Options
    adastraadastra Registered User regular
    Hey adastra, which printers have you liked?

Jakprints has been good, and their employees are really friendly when you need service. They also make some really cool stuff!

I've been really pleased with OvernightPrints (and they're almost always running various sales and promotions that keep them competitively priced) - however, I don't see a trading card-sized option on their site and I'd have to inquire about custom sizes.

I've also enjoyed supporting Enized, a small printing company in Illinois that will print a variety of different sizes and shapes - what I like the best about them is that they're very detail-oriented and quick to reply. They helped me with files when I was first learning how to prepare things for print. I like the personal connection and supporting a small business over a mega-huge printer!

I've been really unhappy with Vistaprint, and generally 'meh' about Zazzle - both companies have messed up jobs I've sent to them. Their site-based design tools really don't let me have the level of control that I need to specify and control how things are printed and trimmed, and so they've done some really awful stuff. At least Zazzle has issued refunds? :(

So I'm interested in seeing how things turn out!

• Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    I got my cards in! They look great and smell like fresh madness.

I have 120 cards/hugs to give. Y'all will have to get 'em quick ;-)

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    I am doubting that i'll get my card done, i've been lacking the motivation for doing stuff lately.

• Options
    Adastra, thanks for your feedback! I'm going to take a look at the other companies you mentioned.

• Options
    Rex BeaversRex Beavers Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Order Submitted!
    PaxEast2012_RexBeavers_Front-1.png
    PaxEast2012_RexBeavers_Backcopy-1.png

Rex Beavers on
  • Options
    MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    I'm not seeing a postcard on Jakprints that's the right size. Can someone tell me which product they chose?

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm not seeing a postcard on Jakprints that's the right size. Can someone tell me which product they chose?
    They don't have a standard 2.5x3.5 product. There is a way to enter a custom size. I haven't done this since last year so I don't remember the *exact* steps.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    They don't have a standard 2.5x3.5 product. There is a way to enter a custom size. I haven't done this since last year so I don't remember the *exact* steps.

Knowing it's a custom size is what I needed.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • Options
    Order submitted.

• Options
    I'm really looking forward to trading cards! All the cards posted here have been terrific; I just love the humor and spirit -- still cracking up over the guy fleeing the rhino :)

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Cards ordered - just over $38 shipped, for comparison (Jakprints).

Looking forward to seeing everyone's cards :)

• Options
    KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I'm really sorry if this has been asked/brought up before, but I haven't been following the thread and it's now ginormous. Is there still a Cookie Brigade trading card? Are we going to have one for 2012?

Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    so I need to go put in my order but the original post says the below...I am looking at the site for jaxprints and I don't see a 2.5 x 3.5 postcard...any thoughts?

Name Your Project: Lastname PAX Cards 2012
    Promotional Code: PAXEAST12 (for orders of 100 or more)
    Product: Postcards
    Stock: 12pt Gloss Cardstock (heavy)
    Quantity: 100
    Finished Size: 2.5 x 3.5 inches
    Ink Side One: Full Color (4)
    Ink Side Two: Full Color (4)
    Proof: No proof (printed as is)
    $10 Discount: Select "No" - the tagline discount is not applicable with any other promotions, such as this one.
    File Prep Instructions: No
    Standard Turnaround

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    EchoZero wrote: »
    so I need to go put in my order but the original post says the below...I am looking at the site for jaxprints and I don't see a 2.5 x 3.5 postcard...any thoughts?

Name Your Project: Lastname PAX Cards 2012
    Promotional Code: PAXEAST12 (for orders of 100 or more)
    Product: Postcards
    Stock: 12pt Gloss Cardstock (heavy)
    Quantity: 100
    Finished Size: 2.5 x 3.5 inches
    Ink Side One: Full Color (4)
    Ink Side Two: Full Color (4)
    Proof: No proof (printed as is)
    $10 Discount: Select "No" - the tagline discount is not applicable with any other promotions, such as this one.
    File Prep Instructions: No
    Standard Turnaround
    zerzhul wrote: »

Knowing it's a custom size is what I needed.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    hey @rascal, were there particular discount codes you used on zazzle? i was going to skip trading cards this year because of the cost, but if zazzle can do them cheap, maybe i'll be back in! also, did you just assemble the card from the template as usual (ie as described in the op) and then upload it as your image for the card? just trying to figure out how to go about this. if i enlist a helpful helper to make my card, what kind of file will i need from them to upload to zazzle?

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Thx Zerzhul...fail reading comprehension on my part, for some reason I didn't realize a customer order either...

• Options
    KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    My cards has arrived. I shall be trading. I must have all the cards. ALL THE CARDS. I WILL FIND YOU...

..okay maybe I'm not that crazy, but I do want your cards.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    @tvethiopia, I hope you're back in! Look for Zazzle's business card in the 2.5" x 3.5" size, aka "chubby" --it's 50% off with coupon code BIZCARD4LESS, so $9.48 per 100 cards printed on their standard white 110 lb. cardstock. Shipping is $3.99 per 100, but I signed up for the free trial of "Zazzle Black" which is their free shipping program. I made the card in photoshop using PeasantDave's templates, and saved the final design as a jpg file to upload to Zazzle -- I assume they work with psd files too, but I wanted to save it in jpeg on my mac anyways. I had to resize the card ever so slightly in going from pixels in psd to inches in jpg, but the proportions look unchanged and the black border is even all around, so I guess it worked. As noted previously, the cards I received are actually 2.43" x 3.44 -- not sure why it's a hair off. I'm quite happy with them, but then again I haven't seen the Jakprint cards to compare the quality.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Krissta wrote: »
    I'm really sorry if this has been asked/brought up before, but I haven't been following the thread and it's now ginormous. Is there still a Cookie Brigade trading card? Are we going to have one for 2012?

I don't remember who made last year's card. At this time no one is making a cookie brigade card to my knowledge, but it is probably worth asking on the CB forum.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    very late to the party but it looks like my cards have been delivered and all. I'll pick them up at some point before PAX starts. Can't wait to start trading!

A big thanks to everyone who helped out with the picture editing and Photoshop hints!

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    Does anyone see a problem with meeting in the Westin each day to exchange cards to keep things simple? This will definitely be the location on Sunday.

• Options
    ThirmuriThirmuri CalgaryRegistered User regular
    I need a card number. Whatever the next available one is works for me

• Options
    edited March 2012

I don't remember who made last year's card. At this time no one is making a cookie brigade card to my knowledge, but it is probably worth asking on the CB forum.

Damn. I think it would be really good to make these... Around 80% of the people I distribute to have never heard of the Cookie Brigade. I think the cards would help!

Is there a way to get ahold of last year's document and just update it? :\

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options

Damn. I think it would be really good to make these... Around 80% of the people I distribute to have never heard of the Cookie Brigade. I think the cards would help!

Ask on the cookie brigade thread. I only have the cards that I worked on myself. Even if someone just knows what to put on there and has a couple pictures, one of the helpers here can bang it out.
    Thirmuri wrote: »
    I need a card number. Whatever the next available one is works for me

#31 is yours!

• Options

Ask on the cookie brigade thread. I only have the cards that I worked on myself. Even if someone just knows what to put on there and has a couple pictures, one of the helpers here can bang it out.

I actually have one at home, so I could at least provide the info. I did ask on the Cookie Brigade site, so I hope someone gets back to me pretty quickly. ;)

Thanks for all your help!

Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Cards ordered :)

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    G at?
    Does anyone see a problem with meeting in the Westin each day to exchange cards to keep things simple? This will definitely be the location on Sunday.
    Sounds good to me. What time(s) would we be lookin

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
This discussion has been closed.