As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dust 514] Internet Cyborg Space Marines

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Stork wrote: »
    The other issue with having a shooter on a console and PC is you end up handicapping issues and have to deal with it in some way. PCs will just absolutely smoke the console players unless you put in mechanisms like Monday Night Combat uses (I think - never played it) or something similar.

Consoles have been confirmed as being able to use a mouse and keyboard.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Comahawk wrote: »
    The other issue with having a shooter on a console and PC is you end up handicapping issues and have to deal with it in some way. PCs will just absolutely smoke the console players unless you put in mechanisms like Monday Night Combat uses (I think - never played it) or something similar.

Being able to and being designed to are two different things.

Only reason I bring it up, and nothing against you, is I see this subject brought up every now and then with someone invariably saying that consoles can use KBAM. Sure you can plug your mouse and keyboard in to a console, but you can't actually play games with it unless the Devs specifically design that feature in to the game. As history has shown, Devs really don't care to.

However for the 360 (and probably PS3?) you can, right this very moment, buy a third party peripheral that allows you to use KBAM with any (or just about) of your games.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Comahawk wrote: »

Being able to and being designed to are two different things.

Only reason I bring it up, and nothing against you, is I see this subject brought up every now and then with someone invariably saying that consoles can use KBAM. Sure you can plug your mouse and keyboard in to a console, but you can't actually play games with it unless the Devs specifically design that feature in to the game. As history has shown, Devs really don't care to.

However for the 360 (and probably PS3?) you can, right this very moment, buy a third party peripheral that allows you to use KBAM with any (or just about) of your games.

CCP has said that Dust 514 will be played with a keyboard and mouse or a standard controller.

Here is a link: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/06/dust-514-supports-both-mouse-keyboard-and-controller/

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    And the people who play with controllers will get curb-stomped, and the game will suffer for it.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    And the people who play with controllers will get curb-stomped, and the game will suffer for it.

I'm not so sure, the article that is cited by that news posting mentions Shadowrun as having well balanced play between console and PC gamers. That gives me a bit of hope, but ultimately, I know I will be playing with a keyboard and mouse.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    The volume of hurtebutte suggests otherwise. I certainly don't have one.

The EVE universe is heavily dependent on text channels. If you're playing DUST rather than $FPS_SHOOTER, then you're likely doing so because you're interested in the persistent universe and social interaction aspects. You're going to want a keyboard.

Aren't USB keyboards like £7 or something? Does the PS3 need a special expensive Sony keyboard? (genuine question here)

• Options
    To the best of my knowledge, no, just a standard USB keyboard.

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    New info: game is free to play, no required $20 buy-in. Also, there'll be a Vita app, but no way to play the game on the Vita.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    StorkStork Registered User regular
    PS3s work just fine with a standard keyboard - you can actually use them for typing in passwords for WiFi routers and such.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Aren't USB keyboards like £7 or something? Does the PS3 need a special expensive Sony keyboard? (genuine question here)

I have a old, cheap, hand-me-down Saitek keyboard plugged into my PS3 right now. It works perfectly. Even the backlight comes on.

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »

I have a old, cheap, hand-me-down Saitek keyboard plugged into my PS3 right now. It works perfectly. Even the backlight comes on.

It's not like Sony to miss a trick like that. Still, that's good to know.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Forget keyboard/controllers/etc what I want to know is what's keeping rich Eve bastards from just giving themselves Jesus armor and making life miserable for some jerk who just bought it from Gamespot because the characters on the box look like Master Chief. That's what I'd do and I'm not even that evil and/or douchy. Plus I'm poor as shit in Eve terms.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Malkor wrote: »
    Forget keyboard/controllers/etc what I want to know is what's keeping rich Eve bastards from just giving themselves Jesus armor and making life miserable for some jerk who just bought it from Gamespot because the characters on the box look like Master Chief. That's what I'd do and I'm not even that evil and/or douchy. Plus I'm poor as shit in Eve terms.

As I understand it, Dust will have a skilltree something like EVE's, although not with the same skillpoint system. In short, you can buy all the fancy gizmos you like, but you won't be able to use them until you've played enough to skill up.

So far as contacts with EVE players giving an advantage, well for one thing that's kind of the whole point. CCP aren't expecting DUST players to talk to us because we're so wuvvable.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Malkor wrote: »

Maybe the prior postings about butthurte would shed some light on that. :)

TL;DR: Dust is a PS3 game. Eve players, not so much on the PS3.

26904.png
  • Options
    CCP Interview at GDC yesterday: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/07/gdc-2012-ccp-talks-dust-eve-and-world-of-darkness/

Interesting hint here:

"While many EVE Online players aren't thrilled with DUST 514's PlayStation 3 exclusivity, there may be hope for a PC release yet. And while the devs weren't ready to make any official statements on the spot, a bit of wink-nudging indicates that a PC release may still be in the cards. As the devs note, mouse and keyboard controls are already supported in the PS3 version of the title. "I wonder why we did that," Hilmar joked during the interview.

Lending a little more weight to the ppossibility of a PC release after the 1-year exclusivity period expires.

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    My question is - will there be a way to tie my account across platforms? I'm not going to get into this on the PS3 and then move to my (faster/prettier/sexier/more comfortable/blah blah) PC without being able to migrate my accumulated bits.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    edited March 2012
    CCP are usually pretty good about stuff like that, but it's a bit premature to ask about that kind of thing when the PC version is no more than a nudge-nudge wink-wink, and in any case can't come out for at least a year after the PS3 version launches.

EDIT: And CCP are not above trolling their players in the same way that the bottom of the abyssal plain is not above the peak of Mt Everest.

V1m on
  • Options
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    SquiddyBiscuit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, apparently the beta will launch in April... Kind of sucks, but it will save my GPA

• Options
    I dont know if anyone else saw the Fanfest keynote, but the orbital bombardment stuff that they showed was pretty shithot.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Didn't see this video posted in either thread, so here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF4diq-KlXI&feature=youtu.be&a

EVE ship activating orbital bombardment, on a specific area, and in real-time causing an orbital bombardment in DUST.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Beta registration is apparently up. Keys should go out tomorrow.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    If you are willing to log into playstation home and complete 12 inane e3 challenges, watch a bunch of videos and win a match in some insanely hard hex-grid tactical mini game then you could get one of 10k keys available there.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    Adda wrote: »
    If you are willing to log into playstation home

You lost me here.

• Options
    Sejarki wrote: »
    Adda wrote: »
    If you are willing to log into playstation home

You lost me here.

I swallowed my pride for a beta key.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    I also got down on my knees and swallowed a whole lot of pride.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Microsoft, Sony -- It's all the same bullshit. Who cares.

• Options
    JediNight wrote: »
    Microsoft, Sony -- It's all the same bullshit. Who cares.

Nice segue.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So I saw before that the game is supposed to be free to play -- how are they going to be making revenue off of Dust then? Empire-only frag-fests for F2P, but if you want to participate in 0.0 Merc corps you need a subscription or something?

• Options
    JediNight wrote: »
    So I saw before that the game is supposed to be free to play -- how are they going to be making revenue off of Dust then? Empire-only frag-fests for F2P, but if you want to participate in 0.0 Merc corps you need a subscription or something?

Like they said, free-to-play, but there'll be a cash shop in-game. Stuff like weapons, dropsuits, mods, and even things to make you gain skill points faster, if I remember correctly. I just hope they aren't charging an arm and a leg for things like that.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    I cannot comment on prices ect, but the game was funded and paid for by profits from eve, and since it's running on TQ the over head is minimal so free is easy.

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    Yeah I really wonder how this is gonna work out. I was under the impression that Merc corps were going to be funded by EVE corps and have to buy/make their own equipment, ground ships, etc. But instead you're going to buy it from item shop?

• Options
    Oh, its worth mentioning that they did say just about everything available in the store is also available for an ISK price, and not regular cash. So it's not necessarily pay-to-win. By playing, you'll get the money you need to continue buying stuff.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    My buddy and I tried watching a video for this to see what it was like. The video consisted of like 10 minutes of a dude going through menus, then 10 minutes of gameplay. The "gameplay" he showed was him flying a ship over the battlefield, ditching it to capture a part of the base behind enemy lines.

Like...if your there to show GAMEPLAY why would you show yourself AVOIDING combat and cheaply trying to steal a win without actually fighting anyone? Like, you were there to get people pumped for your game, you werent there to win!

That being said, this game looks pretty, but last time I saw actual gameplay, combat seemed clunky and folks seemed to take forever to kill/die. I was hoping for new gameplay that fixed that, but instead I got a PR dude who decided to circumvent actual combat to just...hack an undefended terminal.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I have a voucher code for this weekend's beta test. But I'm not going to be here as I'm going to be off in Texaslandia to visit family, anyone want it? It's for the NA region.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Got into the beta weekend, going to play with a cousin online within the next hour - PS3: Spicosaurus, join if you wanna play.

• Options
    jocurijocuri Registered User new member
    I never really liked to play a fps on ps3, I can't get used with the analog movements for my aim, I always bork it up :|

• Options
    I'm finding that that's a common occurance in this game.

Thankfully, that's not a problem for me :D

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    IMHO you would be stupid to use a controller in this game with the ability to use KBM, if being good at it is your goal.