As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Soulcalibur 5] SBO on Saturday. Character lock go!

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Fighting game characters as DLC have pretty much always been set at $5 now. Since they've been proven to sell at that point, don't expect it to ever change (outside of special bundle deals, at least).

On another note have many people encountered players online specifically trying to lag abuse (often using Astaroth as their character)? I've seen enough of it now that I have a hard time thinking its an isolated case. Between that and the seemingly very low skill level of your average player I'm starting to get disheartened in playing randoms online.

Ive kind of felt like this sometimes too. But almost all scrubs online white kit asta and I haven't learned how to handle it sans keeping him locked down the whole match. Then again I feel like I am always fighting slight input lag giving certain characters guaranteed lockdowns due to not being able to fit steps in where I should be able to. Also why dis thread die lately :(

Honestly? It just kinda feels like the game is dying off early. I find it takes me a couple minutes to get a game going even at primetime. Wait times for a game are already longer than SCIV's were on XBL this close to launch (even later into it's lifetime). Online is also starting to get plagued with "Network Errors" too that seemingly cut off all random matches.

I can only speak for my personal experience, but that's just my feeling. People are moving on quickly and with ME3 coming up next week I can see the online arena becoming a complete ghost town. I've got maybe 35-40 hours invested but I'm already starting to get sick of it (compared to over 500 hours in SCIV). Some of the new mechanics have completely alienated me and I often find myself playing, not having a whole lot of fun and thinking I should just trade it in.

Since none my friends want to play (many of them outright showing their disdain for SCV), this game may unfortunately get shelved far sooner than I had ever expected. :(

steam_sig.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Preferring sc4. Now that's a rare opinion.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Page- wrote: »
    Preferring sc4. Now that's a rare opinion.

SCIV was the first Soul Calibur I got really into. I'm sure if I had done more than just rented the other iterations I'd have a different opinion. Don't get me wrong, SCV has more polish and a far better online infrastructure, I just don't like any of the new mechanics. I tried for 40 hours, but I don't think I can force myself to like them.

I just don't enjoy the new focus on offense/juggling and the watering down of the defense game. Soul Calibur offered something different from the hectic pace 2D fighters... now it's just much of the same. Getting juggled for 50% of your life while you watch in horror at your impotence has never been fun for me.

SCIV rarely put me in a situation where I felt completely out of control of my character. In SCV, the name of the game is to take control away from your opponent. The design of the game sees to it with defense options being tied to the same meter that lets you do damage or having single frame execution.

I'm going to try a different character to see if I can re-capture the lost magic, but I'm not holding onto hope too tightly here. I'm actually pretty choked up about this. I looked forward to SCV moreso than any title this year. :(

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can learn to enjoy SCV more, I'd be happy to hear them.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2012
    Where are these juggles happening, because they shouldn't be. You need to leave yourself pretty open for most characters to do good damage, and they'll need meter as well.

And Soulcalibur 5 is still a game where defensive options are really important. It's just more active than it was in Soulcalibur 4. More zoning and stepping, less blocking and punishing. I've seen other people complain that it's too hard to turtle.

Although I have seen some other people complain that the overall damage numbers make it feel too close to a Tekken game. Which I can kind of see. At lower levels of play it's just 2 people circling until one of them gets to do their meter combo. I found playing online against people like that to be really lame, which is why I've gone back to offline.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited March 2012
    Here is your weekend streaming schedule.

Final Round top 8 will start on Sunday at around 3pm EST on the main stream:

Meanwhile, the Singapore qualifiers for the official Namco sponsored tournament series should begin early in the afternoon, local time, which would be in about 5 or 6 hours from now. Their stream is here:

There's also a Japanese stream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/kouhatsu

Page- on
    stream
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    So I caved in and bought a stick. Are diagonals supposed to be so excruciatingly difficult to execute? I mean, it is a cheap stick(Paewang) that I bought with the intent to eventually mod to a hitbox, but God....

Depends on whether it's a 4 gate or 8 gate stick.

stream
    edited March 2012
    I think it's an 8 gate. At least, it makes clicking sounds in every 8 directions.

Turns out at least some part of it turned out to be adapting pains, although I still can't use Alpha Pat's Sakura Twister or 8 way run attack reliably, which was the whole point of buying the stick at the first place. :/ Oh well, was going to mod it completely anyway.

EVOL on
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Still playing SC5 on/off here nightly, with Sping Break it should be more often...well, until ME3 comes out anyways. >,>

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
    edited March 2012
    Soulcalibur on the sp00ky stream right now.

Actually, they're just putting random matches on to fill time. It's pretty ugly and not really worth watching.

Page- on
    stream
    Not that it should surprise anyone, but MLG has picked up KOF and Soulcalibur 5, meaning that Soulcalibur 5 will be getting another $17k worth of prize money. Unfortunately, they've schedules the Soulcalibur 5 tournament on the same weekend as NorCal Regionals. We'll have to wait till Monday to see what the official Soulcalibur 5 rules are. Expect a lot of complaining.

stream
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Page- wrote: »
    Not that it should surprise anyone, but MLG has picked up KOF and Soulcalibur 5, meaning that Soulcalibur 5 will be getting another $17k worth of prize money. Unfortunately, they've schedules the Soulcalibur 5 tournament on the same weekend as NorCal Regionals. We'll have to wait till Monday to see what the official Soulcalibur 5 rules are. Expect a lot of complaining.

"Anything involving the B button is banned"
    "Players must wear advertising t-shirts but will not be compensated for being used as billboards"
    "Voldo is banned due to making us uncomfortable"
    Fuck MLG

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Only half way. There's no way I was going to NCR, and MLG Columbus is no problem. All I need is for them to not ban Dampierre and not do anything really dumb and I will have people to go with.

stream
    Only started following FG events these days, but just what kind of rules have they made in the past that are producing these sort of reactions?

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »
    I think it's an 8 gate. At least, it makes clicking sounds in every 8 directions.

Turns out at least some part of it turned out to be adapting pains, although I still can't use Alpha Pat's Sakura Twister or 8 way run attack reliably, which was the whole point of buying the stick at the first place. :/ Oh well, was going to mod it completely anyway.

Since it looks like no one responded to this. The gate is the box limiting the movement of the stick. 4 Gates are square and have walls along the sides and corers in the diagonals (I beleive this is how all 4 gates work). 8 gates have corners in every major direction, so 4 at the diagonals and 4 in the up down left right as well.

All sticks should click in any direction I beleive because once you hit the diagonal right the click is the second directional being clicked in.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I haven't had the chance to play this yet, but how's Maxi?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited March 2012
    Top 8 half done on the Final Round stream.

DK takes out Mick. RTD out as well. Huge upsets.

Lolo getting on stream now. Time for some epic Yoshi gimmicks.

Page- on
    stream
    Really hoping for an Omega vs Lolo Grand Finals. That would be ideal.

stream
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I got something in my email from Gamestop saying something about they were going to be adding purchasable downloadable content on their rewards site. Does anyone know anything about this? I clicked the link in the email and it took me to their online store to purchase a hard copy of SC5 and said nothing about this exclusive content. I'll quote the email below:
    Upgrade Your Soul

This isn’t just Soul Calibur V DLC, this is PowerUp Rewards Exclusive DLC! Bring in classic music from throughout the series, new costumes, bikinis, wigs and even a tiger suit! These awesome DLC packs will come roaring in over the next few weeks, so don’t miss them!

That's probably the already announced dlc.

And lolo is out. :<

Omega still has this, though!

stream
    And Omega wins with Nightmare.

Top 8

Omega - Nightmare
    Hawkeye - Natsu
    Thuggish Pong - Leixia
    Wing_Zero - Xiba
    lolo - Yoshi
    SwordLord - Pyrrha, Leixia
    KDZ - Siegfried, Maxi, Astaroth
    Dreamkiller - Natsu, Leixia

stream
    Thats a much more boring set of characters :(

Well it happens that those guys have been playing those characters forever, so it was inevitable.

The bad news about the Singapore stream is that they had a lot of computer troubles. Apparently the venue gave them a pc to use and it was old and terrible and kept crashing. So they lost most of the archives. Too bad, because they're fun guys, but that stream started at 2am here and I couldn't watch it live.

stream
    Im going to have to find a way to make it to a NJ gathering sometime to actually get into the game. Online as was said is fizzling out fast and its obvious any good players that were there don't bother to log on anymore. And I think I am almost figuring out how to beat whore tactics although Asta and Maxi still give it to me hard.

There are still good players who practice online, but they do it in private games.

stream
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Big ups to my fellow Chicagoans Thuggish and Hawkeye taking 2nd and 3rd.

Wish my bro could have made it higher I wish he would have stuck with aPat instead of switching to Pryhha. Going to get on him about that when he gets home.

Dragkonias on
    stream
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Good luck hitting that launcher raw.

• RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    So, I'm considering trying to learn Viola a little bit. Are any of her users still hanging around? Just curious if anyone has any tips on using her. Like, specifically how she should use her meter, or perhaps notable things to do (or to avoid doing) when she has her orb set (or vice versa)?

Kai uses her I believe.

I can give you a detailed write up of what I learned so far (she is and will continue to be my main) when I get home from work. Too much typing for the phone. However, she does have significant weaknesses and you are going to have some frusterating matches learning to overcome them.
    The plus side is she is flashy looking as hell and when I am winning I get compliments on her all the time.
    Look for a real response around 5 est.

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Maxi just took a tournament here in SoCal. His mixups are quite strong, just that you have to be careful to not get stuck in loops and be aware of your options at all times.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited March 2012
    B:L wrote: »

Maxi just took a tournament here in SoCal. His mixups are quite strong, just that you have to be careful to not get stuck in loops and be aware of your options at all times.

The local community college I went to years ago had an SC2 machine and we had a pretty fun group of guys that would play. I'm most familiar with that Maxi, so hopefully it translates.

I'm gonna get this on PS3. Are there active players here for that system or is it mostly 360?

edit: One of my favorite things about playing with that group is that we got to know each other's style so at times we'd trade parries for a good 10 attacks.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

K ill spoiler cause I can get wordy
    Viola Shit
    Primary things to know - Combo based damage, short range pokes, spacing VERY important.
    Your entire game revolves around trying to find ways to land a launcher or moves that combo into a launcher. Also the fear of landing that launcher is what opens up all the other options.

Meter wise, you either use it on launcher setup moves like 22_88B BE or 44A BE. Or for the combo extension 2b+k BE (thats a small b+k cause its a quick input, you need to enter it quick to get the relaunch).

All your major combos involve the launcher, which for the most part should be 3B. The ones I use
    3B AAB 2A+B - sets up good wakeup mixups. You can 1A+B (solid option to keep them grounded untill they learn to block it) or 66A+B B for grounded pressure. Also sets up the extension when you want to use meter.
    3B AAB 66B 66A+B B - difficult to time, but the highest damaging non meter combo. Not as good of wakeup options though since they can ukemi the final B there for a neutral situation between you both
    3B AAB 7_8_9K 2A+B - the basic combo the game gives you. Good for getting some distance between you so you can attempt to fuck with them using the ball moves (no orb 6B+K, 6A+B, 2B+K, 2A+B etc) untill they move in.
    then you can use the extension (2b+k BE) to follow up the first one with any of the three for a solid amount of damage.
    You can do most of those out of 33_99B, but it launches higher so you need to delay the AAB which I have a lot of trouble with, so I usually just 66AAB when i have to land this launcher.

If you land 22_88B BE you have to immediately follow up with 1B then 3B and you have yourself a free launcher for massive damage. 44A BE give you more time to react but you need to time the 3B with the last hit to get the launch. Too early and the last hit will ruin the launch and too late and they can block. There was some crazy shit that the kid from that earlier tourney did out of this move, but I never really was able to fully dissect it yet. I think it involved 2A+B but I can't remember which version of 2A+B causes the guard break. Finally your CE sets up a launch as well if you manage to hit with it, if not you get a completely free mixup of High/Low//Throw Especially useful if you have them at the edge of the ring for the throw RO. Also if you hit with the CE at close enough range, you can throw in a BB or two to really add up some damage.

As far as orb being set, while a lot of moves change most of them are nearly useless without the orb. However ones you will use in both situations
    2B - this is your best poke by far. Nice speed safe and not terrible range. Without the orb its got ok range, but with it it has very good range for a 2B, and hits twice if close. This can lock down aggressive players that think they can keep attacking instead of blocking until you get enough distance to back off and force an even exchange
    66A+B - you will use this to follow up many knockdown/crumple moves (like CH 1A, 1A+B, I believe CH 4B as well) with or without the orb. However With the orb it does a ton more damage and has a little more range. This is your best mid move for grounded opponents who try to get up into attacks or sit on the ground.
    3B - while you have little options with the orb using the standard launcher (if you launch someone with the orb you basically have 66AAB for damage otherwise you just AA and use the chance to place the orb) the range on it with the orb is insane. You could theoretically use this to punish wiffs at mid range if you have the orb, which is a rare case but its a good opportunity for fair damage and to place the orb (66AAB places the orb)

Many people try to find ways to lock down people with her wierd orb shit (like 4A+B or 6B+K without the orb for example) and while these can work they are very bad at doing it and she simply isnt made to really lock someone down too much IMO. I use 1A+B against people who can't read it to keep them on the ground and that's the only lockdown I see as reliable. If you can cause them to fear lows or throws it makes them weak to that 3B. And if you made them stand and block high all the time take those free throws.

BTW, untill people get good at instant ducking the orb return of BBB/AAB, you can use this to set up a free throw with the orb for great damage. I BBB step in Throw and land it ALL THE TIME as long as I dont whore it. When they try ducking it you can 3B them usually as most people try to attack or simply dont instant duck quickly enough. so thats a solid way to piss someone off.

Speaking of throws, I do not know which one is which as I forget what throws I have mapped where, but her two primary throws without the orb are the one that pushes them forward while you jump back and the one that spins them.
    The former rings out like woah, and you will cause people to fear the SHIT out of it. And if they learn to break it, the latter throw gives a few garunteed moves afterwards. Mainly 6K and 8A+B. Both of these ring out. However the spin around moves them to the side quite a bit from where you started, so it doesnt RO from the same angle. You need to account for that. Oh, and her back throw without the orb is a garunteed 3B so have fun with that.

The rest you need to just fiddle with yourself. Learn the moves that place the orb, and learn the ranges on your other moves cause Viola's moveset can be summarized as quick extremely short range moves, and moderate range but extremely slow moves. You need to learn what moves you can get away with to move in on someone because you HAVE to move in on them. I use 66AAB a LOT and its bad because while the first two hits are prolly her best advancing step killer, the B is duck and punishable, and if you are too close to the edge you RO yourself. I do this a lot. 22_88A with the orb is a great step move cause it has TONS of range, and you can place the orb with a B but if you didn't hit its risky as fuck. As mentioned without the orb, 4A+B causes it to spin around you twice while you fully recover before the first spin even lands, giving you some lockdown. However the orb hits a moderate distance away, and can miss completely too close and I think when blocked the second hit can miss outright, and its special mid so you basically just have some other attack uncontested. 6B+K causes a fairly delayed orb to swipe at them from behind, which up untill it appears should track but there is enough time before it hits to step it. However this hits special mid and its very good for mixups cause if they werent busy running around or doing quick dodging moves it will lock onto them and force a block. This can be useful if they are privy to standing straight up from grounded into a block.
    Sorry for a wall of text, but I am bad ad summarizing things. I did a lot of research on her and spent a lot of time in practice trying to figure out interesting things. My biggest issue at this point is not having a lot of her moveset in muscle memory yet, because picking a completely original char to start is like starting over from scratch. But I play her online a heck of a lot so I am at least good at beating down people who have no clue. Its just that people who do, I can usually do very well a few rounds then I fail to finish the job because I messed up some combo or kept trying to force my hand.

Is there video of the Maxi winning that tourney?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

B:L wrote: »

I have a question.

How do you fight Maxi?

Do you just have to get used to how his strings look? Because he is quite confusing.

That's always been the way to fight Maxi.

Once he gets into certain loops you know exactly which options he has and can choose the most effective defensive counter according to how the Maxi player is trending.

stream
    Ah. Guess I'll just have to play more Maxis then.

If they're just flailing around like idiots you can space them and get easy CHs during stance transitions.

Up close, when they know what they're doing, it's tough. Maxi is the best he's been for a while, and any time he has meter he can do monster damage.

If you're having trouble recognizing the exact moves but can at least react to their timing then consider more GIs. They're a really strong option for most characters.

stream