As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resident Evil 6 Out Oct 2nd.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    It's also weird that no new major characters have really been introduced since RE2.

I only hate Sheva as an AI. I didn't hate her as a character

They should put her in 6 and make her amazing

I hated her as a character; she was bland, uninteresting, devoid of any real personality, and stole what should've been Jill's role at the end of the game.

I'd much rather that she never popped up again, and we simply got new and improved female characters in her place.

Considering how boring Jill was in that game, I don't think she'd have been any better, frankly.

I don't have the typical Sheva hate, but that's probably because I learned the AI exploits (or just gave her an SVD, which the AI is hilariously accurate with) rather quick--that, and overwhelmingly played live. She didn't leave much of an impression besides having cool melee animations. Chris is just a stupid as AI--what a shock, given it is the same AI. It wasn't Mass Effect 1 bad.

Pretty easy overall, at least on console.

Synthesis on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So I'm playing Revelations. This game is incredible! If you're a RE nut (like me) you should definitely think about picking it up.

• Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    I echo the above sentiment. I'm up to episode 4 and having a blast.

Raid mode is very good, but I do kinda miss Mercenaries; obviously there's already a Mercs game on 3DS though. I hear a lot of hate for it; if I don't care that it's just a rehash, is it worth picking up? Is there anything actually bad about it or are people just annoyed by the recycled content?

camo_sig2.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Anybody who's a Resident Evil fan and has a 3DS has no excuse NOT to get Revelations.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    It's not in stock.

Is that a good one?

newSig.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I also hear it's not that great

Which seems like another good excuse

Mercenaries 3D was a good way to show off the fact that the 3DS could run a modern style RE game, but it wasn't quite enough to warrant long term play at full price. It's certainly not as good as Revelations, though it's not terrible. If you enjoy RE5 style play and can find it cheap, I'd go for it. I'm not sure what the online community is like now though.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    So I'm playing Revelations. This game is incredible! If you're a RE nut (like me) you should definitely think about picking it up.

It's actually disappointing to me. The engine is fantastic and the game looks great. The story, writing, characters, enemies and setting are all really uninspired. So basically I agree it is worth picking up, but with how good the good things about it are, it makes it really seem lacking in other areas.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    jeddy lee wrote: »

It's actually disappointing to me. The engine is fantastic and the game looks great. The story, writing, characters, enemies and setting are all really uninspired. So basically I agree it is worth picking up, but with how good the good things about it are, it makes it really seem lacking in other areas.

Resident Evil's never been known for it's Oscar caliber story.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA

I just finished Episode 3 I think and I'm having fun. The story is kinda meh, but the action and stuff are what I bought it for. :P The story is very secondary.

I also hear it's not that great

Which seems like another good excuse

Never change UV.

• jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Resident Evil's never been known for it's Oscar caliber story.

Yeah but even for resident evil. I expect crazy Japanese interpretations of American action scifi movies, this just feels really stiff and uninspired.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    What chapter in RE5 do I have to reach before it will allow me to fully upgrade the M37 and buy the Hydra? Seems like I'm getting close to the end of the game (chapter 5) and I have plenty of gold, but the last few upgrades aren't available.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I want to get Revelations but I'm waiting to get a CPP first.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    What chapter in RE5 do I have to reach before it will allow me to fully upgrade the M37 and buy the Hydra? Seems like I'm getting close to the end of the game (chapter 5) and I have plenty of gold, but the last few upgrades aren't available.

You should be able to upgrade it fully after beating Chapter 5.

Cool, Resident Evil Revelation's producer really wants to make more 3DS RE games.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=172972
    The following comments come from Resident Evil: Revelations producer Masachika Kawata...

"The incredibly positive fan reaction to Revelations has definitely given me motivation to make another 3DS RE title. I have some ideas in mind. However, I have a lot of other projects that need to be taken care of first. I must admit, hearing players say how much they enjoyed Revelations does kind of make me want to forget the other projects and get stuck right into making another RE game for fans to enjoy (laughs)."

Kawata was asked if the commercial reception thus far has encouraged him to continue focusing on a more old-school style of Resident Evil.

"Of course! Game development is always a very taxing process, no matter what the project, and the only thing that gets us through is the belief that, at the end of the journey, there are people waiting to enjoy the game. So if a game sells particularly well, then we have good reason to make more titles like it."

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I finished Revelations and the Chasm Raid Mode. Lookin' for PA bros to start rollin' Trench with me. Who's in? Drop some friend code knowledge on me as well as your current level (I'm 25). Let's do this!!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I just started playing RE4 today on my PS3. (The HD release). Man. This game is hard. Mostly because the controls just aren't as crisp as I'm used to after playing Uncharted and other modern 3rd person action games. I'm still enjoying it. But a lot of the challenge isn't from the encounters, so much as it comes from user error. I keep wanting to use the right thumb-stick to aim, and instead pan the camera away.

I've never played a RE game before with any seriousness. This is my first real attempt to sink my teeth into a game. I'm on PS+ and I got the PSOne versions of RE1, 2, and 3 for free a while back, but man... I can't play those games. I've launched each one, started a new game, and given up after less than 5 minutes.

A couple years ago I went into Gamestop and got the Gamecube versions of REZero and RE1 for fairly cheap. Even with those being slightly more modern than the PSOne games, I still had a hard time with it, and ended up giving up rather soon.

Its too bad, because I love the idea of the series and I feel like I'm invested in the franchise despite having barely played it at all. I mean, Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine are some of the biggest names in the entire video game industry. People just know who they are. I'm hoping that I can stick with RE4 to the end and then move on to 5.

With two major releases this year, I'm really hoping to finally become initiated into this series. Oh and I bought Revelations for my 3DS. I'm just waiting to play it until I can get my hands on a CPP. I played a demo unit of Revelations with the CPP and I know that after having experimented with it like that, I won't be able to play without it.

Lucascraft on
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I just started playing RE4 today on my PS3. (The HD release). Man. This game is hard. Mostly because the controls just aren't as crisp as I'm used to after playing Uncharted and other modern 3rd person action games. I'm still enjoying it. But a lot of the challenge isn't from the encounters, so much as it comes from user error. I keep wanting to use the right thumb-stick to aim, and instead pan the camera away.

I've never played a RE game before with any seriousness. This is my first real attempt to sink my teeth into a game. I'm on PS+ and I got the PSOne versions of RE1, 2, and 3 for free a while back, but man... I can't play those games. I've launched each one, started a new game, and given up after less than 5 minutes.

A couple years ago I went into Gamestop and got the Gamecube versions of REZero and RE1 for fairly cheap. Even with those being slightly more modern than the PSOne games, I still had a hard time with it, and ended up giving up rather soon.

Its too bad, because I love the idea of the series and I feel like I'm invested in the franchise despite having barely played it at all. I mean, Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine are some of the biggest names in the entire video game industry. People just know who they are. I'm hoping that I can stick with RE4 to the end and then move on to 5.

With two major releases this year, I'm really hoping to finally become initiated into this series. Oh and I bought Revelations for my 3DS. I'm just waiting to play it until I can get my hands on a CPP. I played a demo unit of Revelations with the CPP and I know that after having experimented with it like that, I won't be able to play without it.

The first time I roundhouse kicked a Ganado's head and it exploded, I knew I had something precious on my hands.

• UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    While RE4 and RE5 definitely don't control as fluidly as other third person shooters, the gameplay is designed taking that into account. You usually have at least a second or two to react to things, and when you want to do impressive shit like shooting down thrown items, the hitboxes are massive.

Every shot in RE is a supposed to be a calculated outburst of violence - the goal is to become the calm eye of the storm going on around you.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
    Yeah, I've kind of picked up on that. I've had to be a lot more tactical about where I fight my battles too, because the townsfolk have a really nasty way of getting around behind me. I've started using doorways, alleys, and narrow passages as my preferred battlegrounds.

Honestly, I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog does with The Last of Us. From a purely hypothetical standpoint, it seems like it should have the perfect mix of modern shooting with some scary fucking shit.

I may catch a lot of flack for this, but I thought the best version of RE4 was on the Wii. Having played the heck out of the GC version, I thought I'd give the Wii release a shot to see what was different. Having control of the aiming reticule with the remote made the game a lot smoother and easier. I think Capcom noticed that too, because the enemy dropped a lot less ammo, which in turn, made the game more difficult and suspenseful.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I may catch a lot of flack for this, but I thought the best version of RE4 was on the Wii. Having played the heck out of the GC version, I thought I'd give the Wii release a shot to see what was different. Having control of the aiming reticule with the remote made the game a lot smoother and easier. I think Capcom noticed that too, because the enemy dropped a lot less ammo, which in turn, made the game more difficult and suspenseful.

Yeah I thought that Wii port is one of the better uses of wii-mote control, though that thing is a bitch to deal with sometimes. Did the PSN hd port of 4 have move support?

I am currently renting Darkside Chronicles. Many the banter for that game is so colossally terrible, but not in a fun RE1 way, just more in a mundane way, Leon did have some great quip about some monster doing something weird being awesome.

It's really nice seeing all RE2 stuff in full 3d, but it makes me really wish they just spent the resources on a full blown RE2 remake.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I concur

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I would say the Wii version was best until the PS3/360 version

I really hated the awful Wii control scheme, but they let you use the Classic Controller or the GameCube controller! Options are so nice! Plus it had all the extras of the PS2 version on-disc.

But then the HD versions came out with all of that included, and now they don't look like butt on an HDTV anymore

edited March 2012

I really hated the awful Wii control scheme, but they let you use the Classic Controller or the GameCube controller! Options are so nice! Plus it had all the extras of the PS2 version on-disc.

But then the HD versions came out with all of that included, and now they don't look like butt on an HDTV anymore

You're such an oddball UV. I've never once heard someone call the Wii controls in RE4 "awful". I'd like to meet you in person one day and buy you a drink and just get your opinions on a bunch of stuff. :P

e: I don't mean "oddball" in the negative sense of the word. I promise.

urahonky on
    So Operation Raccoon City comes out this month. Are there any trailers for it that will sell me on the game? I've watched a couple of them, like their brutality trailer, and while crazy kill animations are cool, it didn't tell me much about the game.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I think this is the first time I have ever seen someone else apart from me also switch to the normal controls.

Picked up the Wii version after hearing everyone championing the wiimote scheme, wanted to play the extra stuff I never did on the GC version but after about an hour I switched to the CC Pro and enjoyed it waaaaay more.

The aiming was fine, but just moving and quickly repositioning with the nunchuck just wasn't happening.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    Wow. This "boss" battle with two chainsaw ladies and a bunch of regular dudes is a bitch. Things are fine until I run out of ammo for my shotgun.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    You know you can go the other route and just fight an el gigante, right? Much easier. Unless you're trying to do both to get the cash prizes.

And you are talking about RE4, right? I dunno if anything like that is in RE5.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Yeah, RE4. I actually (incorrectly) thought that the path I chose would be the El Gigante route since it had a bigger area on the map. It looked more like a boss arena to me so that's the direction I picked.

The El Gigante fight isn't really easier though. You fight him in a corridor, unless you want to run away. And running away causes him to destroy some shacks so you can't get the sweet, sweet loot. In case you didn't think to, Lucas, just stash Ashley in a dumpster before the fight begins and forget about her.

The El Gigante fight isn't really easier though. You fight him in a corridor, unless you want to run away. And running away causes him to destroy some shacks so you can't get the sweet, sweet loot. In case you didn't think to, Lucas, just stash Ashley in a dumpster before the fight begins and forget about her.
    I always found the El Gigante to be a ridiculously easy fight. And hell. If you have an upgraded TMP, you can literally stunlock him to death in the first corridor in that section.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »
    I always found the El Gigante to be a ridiculously easy fight. And hell. If you have an upgraded TMP with an asston of ammo, you can literally stunlock him to death in the first corridor in that section.

heenato wrote: »
    I always found the El Gigante to be a ridiculously easy fight. And hell. If you have an upgraded TMP with an asston of ammo, you can literally stunlock him to death in the first corridor in that section.
    Not REALLY. The TMP is really a weapon you save for bosses. If you have it upgraded as far as it can go at the time, You can take down El Gigante in 3-4 clips. Which, again, isn't that hard to come by.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Didn't RE4 have a "smart" drop system, in that it recognized what weapons you were using and dropped ammo for it more frequently?

I remember getting a LOT of hand cannon ammo after I upgraded it to infinite and thus never used anything else.

newSig.jpg
    Nocren wrote: »
    Didn't RE4 have a "smart" drop system, in that it recognized what weapons you were using and dropped ammo for it more frequently?

I remember getting a LOT of hand cannon ammo after I upgraded it to infinite and thus never used anything else.

I think this is true. Although, RE4 Wii really held back on the bullets. Then again, having the cursor centered on the enemy's head before raising the weapon did make combat a lot easier. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page

I did stash her, yes. Like I said, I was having a problem with running out of shotgun ammo. I think I've only got about 9 shots on my save. I really wish the weapon salesman also sold ammo. I'd buy so many bullets.

• LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    He "does", albeit very obtusely. Upgrading your Capacity on a gun gives you a full clip, which over the course of the game (especially on the Wii, with it's reduced ammo drops) adds up an awful lot.

Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
    The Wii has reduced ammo drops, but increased cash drops. It's not Wii specific, though, that's just the PAL version which RE4 Wii was built on regardless of region.