As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Megaten Discussion] Elizabeth added to P4A; P4's cast is already dead.

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »
    Watched for the Galatic Punt, was not left disappointed.

Chie Satonaka: Dragon Kicking yo' ass into the Milky Way since 2008.

• PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    I need your halp!

I need to know somewhere to get the P4 Reincarnation album! PM me or whatever works! THANKS!

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    As someone who has never played a SMT game before in my life, would the new Devil Survivor 2 game be a decent entry point for me into the series? I've got a 3DS and not a lot of games for it, so I have been thinking about trying it out. But I don't want to get it if I'm gonna be completely lost or clueless.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    As someone who has never played a SMT game before in my life, would the new Devil Survivor 2 game be a decent entry point for me into the series? I've got a 3DS and not a lot of games for it, so I have been thinking about trying it out. But I don't want to get it if I'm gonna be completely lost or clueless.

The Devil Survivor games are unrelated to eachother and the rest of the series by way of storyline, so you should be fine.

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Still annoyed they never released them here in europe.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    The DS is region-free, so you can import the DS titles even if you don't have an American DS. You only need a US 3DS for Overclocked.

What is it that links the various games and sub-series to the main title? Are there common characters, themes, etc that appear in all games sort of how Chocobos, Moogles, and Cid are staples of the Final Fantasy universe? And Slimes are always present in Dragon Quest? What are the things that bind the SMT series together?

(I'm a total noob here)(But lately my curiosity towards this series has been piqued and if Atlas isn't careful they might get a lot of my money.)(I've been jonesing for a good JRPG lately, and FF13-2 did not scratch that itch.)

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    I've only played the Persona, nocturne and DDS series but what ties them all together as far as i can tell are the demons/personas.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Well, there are common demons used in pretty much every game. Such as jack frost, Lilim, Alice, demons like that. But there are no CHARACTERS that are like that. Also, within the same branch of the series, the games are usually related to the previous one in some way, though it's not exactly NESSESARY to play them in order or anything.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    You'll occasionally find overarcing themes of Law VS Chaos, though that's mostly in... okay, everything but Persona.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2012
    I might snag Devil Survivor 2 tomorrow if my store has it. I'm waiting for an Atlus sale before I get the Persona series, but 1-3 are definitely on my list to get digitally on my Vita. And I guess Persona 4 is getting a Vita port called Golden? I read a little bit about it on Gamespot. It sounds like they are changing the main character or something? Since I've never played the original Persona 4 this isn't a big deal for me, but I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are.

Lucascraft on
    I might snag Devil Survivor 2 tomorrow if my store has it. I'm waiting for an Atlus sale before I get the Persona series, but 1-3 are definitely on my list to get digitally on my Vita. And I guess Persona 4 is getting a Vita port called Golden? I read a little bit about it on Gamespot. It sounds like they are changing the main character or something? Since I've never played the original Persona 4 this isn't a big deal for me, but I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are.

Unfortunately, Atlus already had a sale about two weeks ago(which I only heard about the day after it ended), so it's unlikely that there will be another one for a bit, short of Sony pushing some big "PSP on the Vita" promotion to get people to buy some once they expand backwards compatibility.

Ahh really? Dammit. Oh well. Mass Effect 3 will keep me busy for a while, and I'll check out Devil Survivor 2 to see what I think. And I've been dabbling in Resident Evil lately as well, so I should have plenty to keep me busy until Atlas holds another sale. Sucks I missed it though. Sounds like their sale ended right around the official launch of the Vita.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Unfortunately, Atlus already had a sale about two weeks ago(which I only heard about the day after it ended), so it's unlikely that there will be another one for a bit, short of Sony pushing some big "PSP on the Vita" promotion to get people to buy some once they expand backwards compatibility.

Wait, really? I've been checking every day since I got my First Edition Bundle, and I never saw an Atlus sale.

They're not REPLACING the main character. They're ADDING the option of a female main character, instead of the male one.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    They're not REPLACING the main character. They're ADDING the option of a female main character, instead of the male one.

Are you confusing P4 Vita with Persona 3 Portable? Cause that game had a FeMC added to it.

Wait, is FemMC confirmed for golden?

Oh. I dunno. I Honestly haven't been paying attention to anything about golden.

M A G I K A Z A M
    GameSpot wrote:
    As revealed by a recent teaser site, Atlus will be remaking Persona 4 for the upcoming PlayStation Vita console. The portable iteration of the hit 2008 title will feature a new character named Mary, more voice work during in-game dialogue scenes, and new animated cutscenes. The game will also include a new wireless support feature where players can call upon other users when their party members are close to death. The new port will be out next spring in Japan.

Oh I know about her, but I dunno if she's an NPC or a female version of the MC.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    A new character =/= replacing the main character

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    No FeMC for Golden.

EVOL on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote:
    What is it that links the various games and sub-series to the main title? Are there common characters, themes, etc that appear in all games sort of how Chocobos, Moogles, and Cid are staples of the Final Fantasy universe? And Slimes are always present in Dragon Quest? What are the things that bind the SMT series together?

Lucifer will often be messing around in a thinly veiled disguise.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote:

Lucifer will often be messing around in a thinly veiled disguise.

No, no, no. The thing that ties these games together is the deal with humanity having to survive against wars waged by the demons, angels, gods, and goddesses. This theme is present in nearly every iteration in Shin Megami Tensei works. The slight exception is the Persona series, yet even then there's usually the play of a higher power at work that pits itself against the protagonist and his/her friends.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Actually, smt at least in most series that are not persona tend to be about God vs Lucifer. God representing law which is usually portrayed as a kind of brain washed slavery.

So, yes, the original smt was about Lucifer the freedom fighter.

Smt 3, or nocturne, was about the rise of the Demi fiend and the remaking of the world. the Demi fiend being technically the strongest being in the smt universe I believe.

persona is just kind of its own thing. They all take place in the same world/time line though from what I'm aware. They just don't really connect.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, its probably been like a decade since I played smt.

steam_sig.png
    Actually, smt at least in most series that are not persona tend to be about God vs Lucifer. God representing law which is usually portrayed as a kind of brain washed slavery.

Smt 3, or nocturne, was about the rise of the Demi fiend and the remaking of the world. the Demi fiend being technically the strongest being in the smt universe I believe.

persona is just kind of its own thing. They all take place in the same world/time line though from what I'm aware. They just don't really connect.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, its probably been like a decade since I played smt.
    That's more SMT2. 'Ol Louis was a bit more downplayed in SMT1.

But you are correct about the demi fiend being the strongest being in the SMT universe.

And there have been SOME attempts to connect all the different series together, but really, I always saw it as just grasping at straws.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »

That's more SMT2. 'Ol Louis was a bit more downplayed in SMT1.

But you are correct about the demi fiend being the strongest being in the SMT universe.

And there have been SOME attempts to connect all the different series together, but really, I always saw it as just grasping at straws.

Well, not to disagree, since they never were intended to be connected in the first place, but wasn't the female protagonist of one of the SMT games a secondary character in Persona 1 and 2?

jagobannerpic.jpg
    Well, not to disagree, since they never were intended to be connected in the first place, but wasn't the female protagonist of one of the SMT games a secondary character in Persona 1 and 2?
    I don't think so. At least, I've never heard of that. Will have to look into that.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    SMT:If

It was a sidestory game, the female protagonist shows up as an NPC in Persona 1, named Tamaki

Maddoc wrote: »
    SMT:If

It was a sidestory game, the female protagonist shows up as an NPC in Persona 1, named Tamaki

Yes, that's the one.

Found her now:

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Tamaki_Uchida

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Whereas most JRPGs have you trying to prevent a Great Evil from performing the apocalypse, in Shin Megami Tensei games not only does the apocalypse occur in within the first hour of gameplay, it might very well be your own fault. There's usually multiple endings and a morality scale that is less Good vs Evil and more about ideology, which is often seen as Jerks vs Dicks vs I'm Leaving and Taking My Ball With Me. The actual continuity between the series themselves is rather sticky as far as I understand it:

*Please note; much of the following is probably wrong. There are much greater scholars of SMT than I, and much of this is second hand knowledge. That said-
    SMT I and II are directly related. SMT If... is an alternate continuity sidestory to SMT I and II. Persona 1 and 2 are in continuity with If..., and Devil Summoner 1 & 2 (the PS2 versions) are apparently connected to both sets of reality via time travel. SMT III may or may not be a sequel to SMT I and II, depending on how you interpret the symbolic, minimalist plot and a throw-away line. Persona 3 and 4 have references that imply them to be in the same universe as Persona 1 and 2, but plot and mechanics are different enough that it only sort of works. Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are unrelated to this whole mess, except that the main guy from SMT III shows up. Only as a cameo, perhaps. Perhaps.

Devil Survivor appears to be Its Own Thing. ...And I can't tell you if Devil Survivor 2 is a sequel because I ain't done it yet.

Other shared traits between the games generally involves the importance of exploiting elemental weaknesses, the value of stat buffs,

That description of smt ideology is probably one of the best I've seen.

steam_sig.png
    My dream SMT game is one where persona users, devil summoners, shapeshifters ect. co-exist in the same world as separate splats/casses and work together/fight against each other for one epic battle for the fate of humanity. Gameplay wise, it'd probably be a hot convoluted mess but I'd like to see it happen one day.

I just want another game where shooting yourself in the head is actually the best choice.

Also another devil summoner would be cool. Straight up bayonetta style would be amazing. Go raidou!

steam_sig.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Persona 3 and 4 have been explicitly confirmed through developer interviews and such to be in the same universe as 1 and 2.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklVS2P3ogk

An hour of gameplay.

Mitsuru's damage is insane.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    SMT 1-3 are also related. 1 and 2 moreso. DDS 1 and 2 are also obviously related, what with DDS2 being a direct sequel and all. Same with the Raidou games. Shit's connected.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Aren't all of the games barring a few obscure spin-offs part of one huge megaverse?

• DrezDrez Registered User regular

Wait, really? I've been checking every day since I got my First Edition Bundle, and I never saw an Atlus sale.

Yeah, Atlus did not have a sale two weeks ago. At least, not in the US. I have been checking every day even BEFORE I got the FEB.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited March 2012
    Drez wrote: »

Yeah, Atlus did not have a sale two weeks ago. At least, not in the US. I have been checking every day even BEFORE I got the FEB.

Oops, yeah that was my mistake. I and it again and it says 2011. And the last one before that was late 2010. (note: none of these products have changed in price.)

So yeah as it is, Atlus is way overdue for a price drop on just about everything.

There apparently have been complaints on their forums but Atlus reps refuse to comment outside of "it's not that easy", and "it takes time"(as though a year and a half isn't enough).

Donnicton on