As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Clive Barker's Undying!

12346»

• Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    Darkness 2 next :D

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Aww, I was all set to make a recommendation, one that also involved darkness of a sort.
    Roomy darkness, you might say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvkjP6dqpfY

Oh well. Good show, Hello! I don't know how you find the time to keep doing these, but they're always a riot. Actually watched an LP for the first Darkness recently, so I'm definitely looking forward to saving money you taking on the sequel.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Don't forget to make a thread for it. :V

Also, there was so little mention of JAHM in that little end of game rant.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    Yeah, for some reason the joy of finishing made me forget all the RAGE over jammed doors :(

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Well. I now know the true pain of JAHM, as strawberry jam vision in dead island gave me a migraine yesterday. It was quite bad.

Anyway, looking forward to the darkness. I've heard you can quad wield guns.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Gotta admit, I'm surprised you were that positive after all the rage. I'm a bit more forgiving of older games, though I admit Undying had its share of problems even back in the day. You can see it wanted to have a deeper-than-usual horror story, but it kept veering sharply towards FPS conventions which kind of undermined the effort: conveniently jammed doors, endless respawns, too many breaks in pacing (the mansion should've been a lot quieter in general, in my opinion), and so on. Throw in weapon/spell balance issues, plot problems - Journal Patrick and Game Patrick show very different attitudes towards Keisinger - the acting, and all of Eternal Autumn and you do have a game with problems on top of simply not aging well.

That said, I still enjoyed it. The weapons and spells partly avoided the usual FPS guns loadout and using them simultaneously was innovative for its time. I like games that put some thought into enemy placement, so you're not always fighting the same things; the game was guilty of throwing waves of mooks at you sometimes, but varying them by region was a nice touch. Backtracking can either be lazy re-use of assets or a way to better establish a setting. I would've preferred a map and some open design, of course, but I liked being able to revisit the mansion and unlock more of its secrets over time. It'd be a stretch to call the game well plotted or scary, but it did have some internal consistency and a few legitimately disturbing elements.

Whatever you can say about Clive Barker's Clive Barker's Undying, Featuring Clive Barker, it wasn't trying to be just another early-oughts shooter, even if it did feel like one at times.

Side note: for anybody who cares, I did stumble on this Q&A thread with one of the developers. They go into a couple details that aren't really elaborated in the game: what the King actually was, the nature of the Celt sacrifice, the relationships between the siblings and Keisinger, and gameplay stuff that got snipped out of development (such as missing spells, some of which are used by enemies).

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine