As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    sounds delish beast
    good job!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    I need more kimchi so I can make more kimchi fried rice
    nomnomnom

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Hey guys. I have a question about making cookies.

Do you think a stand mixer is necessary to cream butter and mix some decent cookie dough, or can I get away with a hand mixer? Any recommendations?

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Hand mixer is fine! Hell, I've done it with a wooden spoon

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I love to bake, but I only do it at my dad's house because he's got one of those nifty kitchenaid stand mixers. Been thinking about baking at home lately.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I generally give up on spoons and just get my hands into the mix when I'm making cookies.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Creaming tends to work pretty well with a fork, actually.

It's too thick to whisk and I find that the tines, ah, "smoosh" things together better.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Ya hand mixer is good- sometimes even preferable to a stand mixer, depending on how much you're mixing.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Olives must not be that popular down there. Many markets here have olive bars in them. Many QFCs have them as does the Ballard Market.

they are, normal grocery stores just don't have them. whole foods and farmers markets have them.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I love to bake, but I only do it at my dad's house because he's got one of those nifty kitchenaid stand mixers. Been thinking about baking at home lately.

You can bake just about everything with a normal hand mixer. The only things I really miss my kitchenaid for are bread doughs. And egg whites because god I hate whipping egg whites into meringue.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    there's a Giant nearby that has an olive bar

it's my favies

gettin' a little plastic carton-thingy of various olives all with stuff inside them and with varieties and some of them have pits and OLIVETOWN

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    I generally give up on spoons and just get my hands into the mix when I'm making cookies.

Man, what? Doesn't the heat from your hands melt the butter?

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    you must have very warm hands!
    or take an unusually long time to mix

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    A culinary quandary for you, thread. I want something that's crock pot friendly so I can cook it while playing Mass Effect 3 on Tuesday and just smell at it for hours while I punch aliens. Problem is, I cant decide between Chili, puerco pibil and a 7-bone roast with all the fixings.

This may be the most important decision I will ever make.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    you must have very warm hands!
    or take an unusually long time to mix

I have warm hands.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    the answer is pulled pork shoulder, the answer is always pork shoulder.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Ferran Adria's roast chicken is in the oven.

Right below it is a tray of onions, mushrooms and cauliflower. Going to be some good eats tonight.

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I bought a box of Girl Scout Samoa cookies yesterday. Chelsea just packed up her lunch and headed to work.

Apparently part of that lunch was 7 of the cookies....out of a box of 15. This from a girl who as of a year ago didn't like coconut.

Words will be had when she returns.

Those cookies are one of the few things with coconut I enjoy :oops:

KalTorak wrote: »
    Ya hand mixer is good- sometimes even preferable to a stand mixer, depending on how much you're mixing.

This.
    My ch. chip cookie recipe results in 9-12 dozen. Mixing in the ch. chips is haaaarrrd

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Skettts.

You could scale down the recipe you know.

This reminds me, I need to buy a new hand mixer. I spent twenty dollars on it a good six or seven years ago and smoke started coming out of it last month.

It had a good run.

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    Skettts.

You could scale down the recipe you know.

This reminds me, I need to buy a new hand mixer. I spent twenty dollars on it a good six or seven years ago and smoke started coming out of it last month.

It had a good run.

I should probably do that one of these days. It'll probably take a few attempts though.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    A culinary quandary for you, thread. I want something that's crock pot friendly so I can cook it while playing Mass Effect 3 on Tuesday and just smell at it for hours while I punch aliens. Problem is, I cant decide between Chili, puerco pibil and a 7-bone roast with all the fixings.

jambalaya

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Just divide everything by the number of eggs or whatever. Shouldn't need multiple attempts.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »

So, typically when you make cookies, unless they are special varieties, the butter will either be softened or melted. You should only really need to be concerned about hand-warmth melting the butter when baking something like millefeuille when flakiness or pockets of butter are desirable. Otherwise it may slightly change the crispness of your average chocolate chip or oatmeal cookie buut I wouldn't sweat it.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Plus most cookie doughs call for a chill period if you want them to be perfectly chewy anyway! So no big deal in the end if they get a little extra squidgy.

• Options
    So.

I just spent 115 dollars on cooking books at Amazon.

Plus shipping!

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I just spent like 400 dollars on couverture chocolate, cocoa butter colors, luster powders, chocolate molds, fruit purees, invert sugar, glucose syrup, and another chocolate book from Amazon and various specialty shops.

Gulp.

The wife and other family members agree it's worth it though after tasting what I've made in class the past few weeks. Now to perfect a few things by Easter. Yikes.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    The best olives are saturated with vodka in the bottom of a martini glass.

• Options
    So my sister bought some dwarf tahitian lime trees.

Which is nice I guess.

But the cost of the pots, the potting mix and fertilizer were more than the plants themselves.

Happy birthday?

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »

So, typically when you make cookies, unless they are special varieties, the butter will either be softened or melted. You should only really need to be concerned about hand-warmth melting the butter when baking something like millefeuille when flakiness or pockets of butter are desirable. Otherwise it may slightly change the crispness of your average chocolate chip or oatmeal cookie buut I wouldn't sweat it.

The only time my hand warmth has been a big problem was when I made chocolate truffles one christmas.

I was coated in the stuff by the time I was done.

• Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    Yep, our giant has an olive bar of sorts. Not very much though. Wegmans is the place to go for that. And the cheese. I swear, the cheese kiosk is amazing. Portal cheese snobs around here.

5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Olives must not be that popular down there. Many markets here have olive bars in them. Many QFCs have them as does the Ballard Market.

Oh, something about the way Javen wrote, "when we go to an olive bar" and the pictures on GIS made me think there were like stand alone olive bar establishments somewhere. A bizarro-world chain called Nina's Olive Bistro that just serves different olives and cocktails made with Pepsi products or something.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any egg salad variations? I just go with mayo, mustard, a little hot sauce, some pepper.

• Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »

jambalaya

I feel like a crockpot would kill the texture of a jambalaya.

• Options
    Does anyone have any egg salad variations? I just go with mayo, mustard, a little hot sauce, some pepper.

Since you've got the eggs out anyway, maybe try making your own mayo for a different element to it.

• Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »

jambalaya

I feel like a crockpot would kill the texture of a jambalaya.

Indeed it would.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options

Since you've got the eggs out anyway, maybe try making your own mayo for a different element to it.

sliced green onion, cumin, red pepper

or

garlic, cumin, corriander, pickle relish

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    hm. I will add a little garlic and cumin. I don't have any relish or coriander at the moment

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I use mayo, mustard, garlic, a little white vinegar and paprika

• Options
    I went with mayo, mustard, hot sauce and this dried garlic and pepper blend we always seem to have. I couldn't find the cumin.

It is pretty good.

This discussion has been closed.