As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST]Photography at PAX East 2012

That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guyRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in PAX Archive
It's a little early to start taking pictures, but it's never too early to start talking. I just bought a Nikon D3000 that I plan on bringing with me to document my PAX trip. I have wanted a DSLR for years and I have a bunch of old Nikor MF lenses that work great with it. I am really excited to see how much better my photos come out this year. At PAX '11 all I had was a crappy point and shoot and was just miserably disappointed at the quality of my photos. This year is going to be better. I hope that, by the time PAX rolls around I will have totally learned this new camera up and down.

I hope this thread will become a place for people to dump photos during and after PAX.

That_Guy on

• Options
    VariVari Registered User regular
    I just bought a Sony Nex 5N-- all the ease of a point and shoot, with a big ol' lens on it. I'm excited to spend some time with it and learn all its functions and abilities. PAX will be its trial by fire-- we'll see how well it can play. ^_^

• Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    Hey nice. I bought myself a Sony NEX-C3 recently as well. It's had a couple test runs on nights out and performed admirably. Its low light capability is impressive. Really though, I could have bought anything and it would better than the piece of junk Canon Powershot I had before.

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote:
    It's a little early to start taking pictures, but it's never too early to start talking. I just bought a Nikon D3000 that I plan on bringing with me to document my PAX trip. I have wanted a DSLR for years and I have a bunch of old Nikor MF lenses that work great with it.

Love my Nikon D3000! What lenses are you bringing? I am still debating if I want to try and bring my Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8. Weighs a ton but talk about sharp photos.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    JlsoikittyJlsoikitty Land of Wind and GhostRegistered User regular
    Looks like I'll be chasing the bats out of my old Fuji S2 Pro for the weekend. I better get started on the oats and squats so I'll have the stamina to lug around the camera plus the ten pounds of cr123a batteries I'll need.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote:
    It's a little early to start taking pictures, but it's never too early to start talking. I just bought a Nikon D3000 that I plan on bringing with me to document my PAX trip. I have wanted a DSLR for years and I have a bunch of old Nikor MF lenses that work great with it.

Love my Nikon D3000! What lenses are you bringing? I am still debating if I want to try and bring my Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8. Weighs a ton but talk about sharp photos.

It came with an 18-55, and I am going to bring that. I also have a 100mm to 300mm telephoto and another really great macro both from about the 1970s. Most of the day I am probably just going to bum around with my AF for quick photos, than go back and take special ones. I am going to be staying in the Westin so going back and forth from my room and PAX is going to be a breeze.

I have been into photography since I started high school, but have never owed a really nice camera. The body I inherited with the lenses leaks light a little, so my photos never really came out very well. I have been wanting a high quality DSLR for a decade now. I paid 300 for my D3000 from someone on Craigslist. She had barely used it. You are probably aware that the average lifespan for the shutter is around 60,000 actions. She had only put it through about 3,000. A refurbished body alone is going for around 350 some places online. I think I got a great deal.

• Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I dragged my DSLR in past years. This year I may pack lighter and leave it at home. I guess that's one argument for the Micro 4/3 systems.
    Think about how you're going to share the pictures now and get your Flickr or SmugMug all hooked up in advance...because you're gonna take way more photos than you imagined.

The community DVD project is usually looking for good video and photo to add to the discs, so you may want to contact them with a link to your pics when PAX is over.

macrogeek on
  • Options
    Just a month until PAX and I think I am learing my D3000 pretty well. It has been so long since I have used a an SLR, I forgot most of what I learned about their use. It's nice that the camera has rather good automatic settings so I can get an idea of what lighting conditions warrant what settings. I am having to relearn ISO, shutter speed and fstop all over again. It is SOOOO much easier to learn on a DSLR than it was to learn on an film SLR. In high school (where I learned most of what I know/knew) I would have to take a whole roll of film and develop it before I could even get an idea of how well my settings worked. The hardest part was unrolling the film and winding it perfectly around the jig while having my hands trapped in a black bag. Now I can review my photos and modify my settings on the fly.

Can not wait to break it in at PAX.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    hmm. Thread is not bumping for some reason.

Testing 1, 2, 3.

Edit: I made a post in another thread and it bumped, so it must just be this thread. It seems to think that every new post in it is from Feb 20th.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

Testing 1, 2, 3.

That's odd. I wonder why it's not working.

• Options

Testing 1, 2, 3.

IcyLiquid says "The thread has been sunk and is working as intended. " I reported my own post here as well to the mods to see if they can do anything about it.

I might just have to make a new thread if no one can tell me what is wrong with this one.

• Options

Testing 1, 2, 3.

IcyLiquid says "The thread has been sunk and is working as intended. " I reported my own post here as well to the mods to see if they can do anything about it.

I might just have to make a new thread if no one can tell me what is wrong with this one.

What does sunk mean? Does that mean the topic is inappropriate?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    Sunk means that the thread will no longer be bumped by new posts. This was a moderator action and is a tool in Vanilla Forums to quietly let a thread continue but fade into oblivion, without locking it. Also, discussing moderator actions on the forums is against the rules. I suggest PMing the appropriate moderator to discuss this action.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    The thread was sunk because threads for pictures taken during PAX should not be made until PAX begins (or shortly before if people want to add Pre-PAX pictures). Discussion of cameras should be relegated to another sub-forum, as other than the fact you are taking it to PAX, it has little to actually do with PAX or the community. Threatening to make a new thread because you disagree with moderator action and couldn't be arsed to actually PM me and ask about it won't earn you any favor.

Since this thread is no longer on-topic anyway, there's no reason to not lock it anymore. If you want to create a thread for PAX pictures and videos, I recommend you wait until PAX and have some pictures to contribute to the thread before doing so.

E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.