As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

used a q-tip for the first time, now my right ear is plugged?

Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So, my friend was singing the praises of q-tips and how great they were. I thought, hey, let me try this. Cleaned both my ears (apparently went up inside the ear which is not ideal). It didn't hurt at the time and hasn't hurt since, but my right ear sounds like it's clogged now, like there is water or someone putting their finger in it. Looking online it looks as though I've pushed some earwax into my ear where it shouldn't be and that is whats clogging my ear. I can like, pull my ear open and hear normally so I know I didn't damage my ear, I'm just wondering something. Should I get another Q-tip and try and clear it out myself, or should I just wait until I can see a doctor Wednesday afternoon? I know it's not pressing but it's annoying as hell. I just don't want to go digging around my ear and have this go from "small problem" to "woah now you're ear is fucked up".

Thanks guys.

Chop Logic on

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Go to a local pharmacy and pick up some ear wax removal. Drip some in the affected ear and it should clear it up pretty quick.

Don't bother going to the doctor over this, its a waste of his and your time (and money)

and no, do not attempt to use a q-tip to clear that ball of wax, it will just make it worse most likely.

Draygo on
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the proper medical advice on the use of Q-tips is NEVER USE Q-TIPS. At best you can use them for clearing around the ear, but you should never be poking shit in your ear canal, precisely because of what just happened to you. Don't poke anything else up there, ever again.

Also, hit your friend.

Also, no ear-candles.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Then once you do what Draygo suggested, keep your ears clean :P The point of a qtip is maintenance, not clearing out years of neglect, which is what ear wax remover is for. You should use a qtip once a week or so, generally after a hot shower, just to clean the surface wax. That will prevent that huge ball of wax from forming deep in your ear.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I am not a doctor! But...

Don't go poking around in there or use anymore Q-Tips! That'll make it worse. I'd use something like this as long as your not in pain.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ear-nose-and-throat/medicines/earex-ear-drops.html

My sister uses it and it sounds as though it just needs breaking down somewhat. If that doesn't work, see your doctor.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Don't use Q-Tips inside your ear.

There are earwax removal products at your local pharmacy. You can also irrigate your ear simply with warm water and an ear bulb syringe (around 2-3 oz of water). Most people can just fill their ears with water in showers to rinse them out.

With a Q-Tip, you may have punctured your tympanic membrane. It should heal over time, but you should definitely see a doctor.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    if you cant get it cleared with earwax remover then go visit the doc and they can flush it out with water. I have a bulb syringe that I use with warm water from time to time if I need to flush out the ear.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yes, Q-Tips are bad. Also - Earwax is good. Clean the outside of your ear, but unless you have such horrendous earwax inside your ear that it is preventing you from hearing - leave it alone.

Noquar on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Basically all you need is the ear syringe and some hydrogen peroxide. Just go buy an ear syringe. Skip the peroxide they sell for it, that stuff is too weak to be very effective. Get the stuff in the normal bottle. Overall it should only cost around 3 dollars. Tilt your blocked ear upward. Take some peroxide, about a cap full or two, and pour it in your ear. Wait a few minutes, say 5. Then tilt your ear down draining the peroxide. Then, with your ear still tilted down, use the bulb syringe to squirt some warm water in your ear. Not hot water, that might make you feel dizzy. Squirt some water in there a few times. It isn't going to seem like it is working at first, but eventually a big plug of wax should come out. If it doesn't after a few minutes of trying, put some more peroxide in there and repeat the whole process.

If it is really good in there, you might have to do it over the course of 2 or 3 days.

Don't clean your ear with qtips. I learned this the hard way, and made the same thread here a few years ago.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Basically all you need is the ear syringe and some hydrogen peroxide. Just go buy an ear syringe. Skip the peroxide they sell for it, that stuff is too weak to be very effective. Get the stuff in the normal bottle. Overall it should only cost around 3 dollars. Tilt your blocked ear upward. Take some peroxide, about a cap full or two, and pour it in your ear. Wait a few minutes, say 5. Then tilt your ear down draining the peroxide. Then, with your ear still tilted down, use the bulb syringe to squirt some warm water in your ear. Not hot water, that might make you feel dizzy. Squirt some water in there a few times. It isn't going to seem like it is working at first, but eventually a big plug of wax should come out. If it doesn't after a few minutes of trying, put some more peroxide in there and repeat the whole process.

If it is really good in there, you might have to do it over the course of 2 or 3 days.

Don't clean your ear with qtips. I learned this the hard way, and made the same thread here a few years ago.
    Word of warning: the hydrogen peroxide is going to bubble in your ear. Like, think baking soda-and-vinegar style reaction (not quite that extreme, though). This is going to feel weird, and possibly unpleasant.

• XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    I did this before and I would like to start with some advice on proper technique.
    1. Never just shove the q-tip in your ear.
    2. When cleaning around the canal, go in a constant circular motion with the q-tip always pressed up against the side of the ear.
    3. Don't go in the ear canal, when your jaw moves up and down when chewing/talking is naturally designed to push excess wax out of the ear.

When I did this, I had a big sized lump crammed in there, and the peroxide thing wasn't working. I ended up filling a large cup with warm water, and squirting it directly into my ear canal, rinsing out the inside. It took about 10 minutes, but eventually a big lump came out, I could hear again, and been fine ever since. Probably should have gone to a doctor, but, :effort: and figured it would be cool to finally be forced to learn sign language.

Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I thought I made it clear when I said "clean the surface wax", but yeah, you shouldn't be jamming a qtip down in your ear...but they are insanely useful for cleaning the folds of the outer ear, which get wax build up as well.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »

Word of warning: the hydrogen peroxide is going to bubble in your ear. Like, think baking soda-and-vinegar style reaction (not quite that extreme, though). This is going to feel weird, and possibly unpleasant.

And then feel pleasantly warm.