As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OLD [STEAM] Thread: CLOSE ME

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Gish is the daily deal, 75% off. I always found that game kinda dull.

Lord_Snot on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote: »
    Gish is the daily deal, 75% off. I always found that game kinda dull.

Same. Got it from a bundle already anyway.

I didn't even like playing as him in Super Meat Boy.

Steam: offday
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Nought wrote: »
    So, not sure if the Steam thread is the right place for this question.

I've had a hankering for an economics sim for the past two weeks but don't really have any money to invest in buying some to test if they are good. I remember that I have Patrician 4 on steam and try it out yesterday and really like it.

I seem to remember somebody saying that Patrician 3 was a better game, and think it was someone in this thread. Can anyone comment on why Patrician 3 should be better, since I like the graphics in 4 and don't want to spend 4,5€ buying 3 if the "better" thing about 3 is mostly someone preferring sprites over 3d models. Is there a significant gameplay difference?

The only thing I saw people saying was better in 3 was the ship combat. I have both games and I don't see any reason to go back to 3. I'd also recommend getting the expansion as it improves the base game.

• ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Steam Box....potential console developed by Valve.

Valve Steam Box console challenger tipped in pipeline - SlashGear

Is Valve working on 'Steam Box' console? | Stuff.co.nz

steam_sig.png
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Love Recettear, but lost interest once I figured out how to make infinity moneyz by ignoring Tear's advice. Really hope there is a sequel one day that greatly expands on this awesome base.

Ever since I first played Final Fantasy 4 as a kid, I had always wanted an RPG economic sim/town builder where I create all the shops and accommodations In a typical 16-bit RPG to effectively take advantage of bands or traveling heroes.

Just caught up on monday morning steam thread: this fits a bit of The Guild II: Renaissance or Pirates of the European Seas. Midevil life/business simulator, with politics.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    On a side note, don't suppose we have anyone playing Bloodline Champions, do we?

Been dicking around with it, and so far it's actually fun. Like a MOBA but without the DOTA bullshit.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Excision wrote: »

I was, but there was only a single article from The Verge so more data points are welcome. If you want to catch up on what people were saying about it, there's a few pages of discussion about it starting on p.87.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    That's also what's been talked about for almost the entire weekend over in the industry thread.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Excision wrote: »

I was, but there was only a single article from The Verge so more data points are welcome. If you want to catch up on what people were saying about it, there's a few pages of discussion about it starting on p.87.

Still that same one article from the Verge I'm afraid, it's just that all the other games news sites are re-printing the same information and linking back to the first article.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Wired (and wireless) 360 controllers are on sale at amazon with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wired-Controller-Black/dp/B003ZSN600/ref=sr_1_6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1330975085&sr=1-6

I need a controller for my computer, so I'm picking one up. Thought I'd share the link if anyone else needs one.

• SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Has anyone played Wakfu? RPS posted a feature on it today, and it looked really cool. I'm at work, so I can't play it, but I was wondering if anyone had some impressions of it.

• ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ahh didn't realize. I was too busy this weekend to check any threads and quite busy at work today as well.

Excision on
    steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh shit, when did they put up the pre-purchase of Darksiders 2? You know I gotta get that. I hope they do a Darksiders TF2 item.

Peewi on
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Asking here because I've seen a few people talking about it. Space Rangers games are on sale at Gamersgate. Is there any reason to get 2, or should I just get reboot? First game worth a look at all?

Asking again.

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Oh shit, when did they put up the pre-purchase of Darksiders 2? You know I gotta get that. I hope they do a Darksiders TF2 item.

"currently unavailable in your region"

Honestly I think this happens with every THQ game.

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Just took the PA survey Tycho posted. Came to the question about whether or not I've taken advise from the PA forums on buying games and chuckled a bit. And then I heard my wallet quietly sobbing.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Just took the PA survey Tycho posted. Came to the question about whether or not I've taken advise from the PA forums on buying games and chuckled a bit. And then I heard my wallet quietly sobbing.

I laughed at that too, and obviously they don't read our thread cuz the way the broke down Purchases didn't fit properly. Do you have more than x games? Yes I have more than 200+.. have you bought any in the past month? Yes, but.. sales sales sales.. is when I get most of mine, and there was no mention of "Do you get gifted many games from the Classy Chaps of Penny Arcade Forums?".

50433.png?1708759015
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Remember how CSGO was gonna be have PC and PS3 players together? Apparently that's not happening.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Remember how CSGO was gonna be have PC and PS3 players together? Apparently that's not happening.

I for one am shocked and I'm sure this has absolutely nothing to do with the exact same reasons this idea has been quietly dropped just about every other time it's ever been tried.

• PeteRoseHairPeteRoseHair Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please!
    Do you always have a worry or care,
    That your steam bank will never be a classy lair.
    Well, ladies and gentlemen I would like you to see!
    That man named PeteRoseHair has gifted the complete Brothers in Arms series to me!

(You're freaking awesome. Song made up on the spot, set to the opening tune of Pirelli's Miracle Elixir. Feels appropriate for announcing something.)

oh SNAP A THEME SONG!

Hahaha I absolutely love this, thank you!

And enjoy Brothers in Arms. For WW2 buffs, it's pretty great. Lots of great touches and attention to detail. The suppression mechanic is also damn fine and lends some weight to taking a hill. You didn't just charge up and throw bullets at guys, you actually lead your squad, direct them, and take a location.

PeteRoseHair on
    steam_sig.png

Eh, it's probably for the better anyway.

• AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular

anoffday wrote: »

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wired-Controller-Black/dp/B003ZSN600/ref=sr_1_6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1330975085&sr=1-6

I need a controller for my computer, so I'm picking one up. Thought I'd share the link if anyone else needs one.

Any reason why I wouldn't want to try wireless? Is it laggy?

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

I for one am shocked and I'm sure this has absolutely nothing to do with the exact same reasons this idea has been quietly dropped just about every other time it's ever been tried.

But Shadowrun did it!

...oh. Yeah.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    I wuv my wireless 360 controller. Couldn't possibly go back to the wired one now. My only complaint with it is that if you disconnected the receiver dongle while the controller is active...it will keep looking for the receiver signal until its battery dies. So you need to make sure the controller is asleep before it loses the receiver signal.

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular

For them. :P

Didn't Quake 3 have cross-platform gameplay between PC and Dreamcast players? And I believe that the PC gamers kicked their asses. For FPSs, gamepads have nothing on KBAM.

Didn't Quake 3 have cross-platform gameplay between PC and Dreamcast players? And I believe that the PC gamers kicked their asses. For FPSs, gamepads have nothing on KBAM.

Hmmm, I don't remember if that was cross-platform or not. My first thought was this.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

PS3 allows KBAM

Also, I'm just laughing because once again, pointless patch certification nonsense gums up the works

Maddoc wrote: »

PS3 allows KBAM

I would be very interested to see any kind of statistics on how many PS3 users actually avail themselves of that.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Probably not too many, honestly.

But still, the option is there!

This change was made pretty much entirely due to the patch certification fuckfest

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

PS3 allows KBAM

I would be very interested to see any kind of statistics on how many PS3 users actually avail themselves of that.

It's funny. I always see these stacks of "PS3 Keyboard and Mouse for FPS Games!" boxes at Best Buy when I go there. I have to assume someone buys them.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    So, not sure if the Steam thread is the right place for this question.

I've had a hankering for an economics sim for the past two weeks but don't really have any money to invest in buying some to test if they are good. I remember that I have Patrician 4 on steam and try it out yesterday and really like it.

I seem to remember somebody saying that Patrician 3 was a better game, and think it was someone in this thread. Can anyone comment on why Patrician 3 should be better, since I like the graphics in 4 and don't want to spend 4,5€ buying 3 if the "better" thing about 3 is mostly someone preferring sprites over 3d models. Is there a significant gameplay difference?

The only thing I saw people saying was better in 3 was the ship combat. I have both games and I don't see any reason to go back to 3. I'd also recommend getting the expansion as it improves the base game.

Ah, thanks. Didn't even notice the expansion. Hmm, costs as much as the game atm. Going to wait on it till the summer sale I think.

Having not been instantly gratified with an answer I looked on youtube for a let's play or review and found a LP of Patrician 4 done by one of the more annoying people in the world. If you haven't played the econ game your LPing before, then please don't.
    I also found a LP of Patrician 3 by a guy that seemed to think the way forward in business is to hijack your competitors' assets.

Patrician 3 seems more old-school in it's management which isn't what I want right now, but I can believe ship combat is better, since it's quite bad in Patrician 4.

I think I need to find a strategy guide to Patrician 4 since I feel like I'm not managing my automated conveys in the right way :/

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular

PS3 allows KBAM

It's funny. I always see these stacks of "PS3 Keyboard and Mouse for FPS Games!" boxes at Best Buy when I go there. I have to assume someone buys them.

Depending on how big the stacks are, and whether the company that makes them sells something else Best Buy is interested in selling, that could indicated that they aren't exactly flying of the selves. Is there a layer of dust on the top one? :)

Most people that I meet who prefer consoles always brings up the fact that they can sit on their couch and play games. I have a hard time imagining how you would use KB&M where you wouldn't be more comfortable sitting in front of a PC. Then again, I really don't understand how playing games from a couch is better then in front of a PC, but that might just be because of the games I play and my more-then-5$-office-chair.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular

I certainly never played any PC players back when I played Quake 3 on the Dreamcast. There was a keyboard and mouse available for the DC though, so even if there was cross-platform play, it wouldn't necessarily have been so one-sided.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Asking here because I've seen a few people talking about it. Space Rangers games are on sale at Gamersgate. Is there any reason to get 2, or should I just get reboot? First game worth a look at all?

Asking again.

Just get Reboot; you can look at 1 if you want to, but I never have.

AnakinOU wrote: »

Any reason why I wouldn't want to try wireless? Is it laggy?

I guess not if the dongle comes with it, but if it's the play and charge that comes with it then it won't work connecting to your PC.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Someone here would know this.

Is there a really simple Steam backlog website? Something where I can just log in with my Steam account, and it will show me a list of my games, and it will let me click a "completed" checkmark next to one of them? (Bonus points if it can automatically check games off when it sees an appropriate achievement unlocked).

Because I logged into backloggery. And saw how it didn't look much like my Steam library anymore. And it looked like way too much work to update.

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular

PS3 allows KBAM

Depending on how big the stacks are, and whether the company that makes them sells something else Best Buy is interested in selling, that could indicated that they aren't exactly flying of the selves. Is there a layer of dust on the top one? :)

Most people that I meet who prefer consoles always brings up the fact that they can sit on their couch and play games. I have a hard time imagining how you would use KB&M where you wouldn't be more comfortable sitting in front of a PC. Then again, I really don't understand how playing games from a couch is better then in front of a PC, but that might just be because of the games I play and my more-then-5$-office-chair.

Not to mention it takes about 2 minutes to plug an xbox controller into your PC and and HDMI cable from PC to TV and poof, you can game from your couch with your PC, but the graphics and framerate are far better than your console.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

Is there a really simple Steam backlog website? Something where I can just log in with my Steam account, and it will show me a list of my games, and it will let me click a "completed" checkmark next to one of them? (Bonus points if it can automatically check games off when it sees an appropriate achievement unlocked).

Because I logged into backloggery. And saw how it didn't look much like my Steam library anymore. And it looked like way too much work to update.
    Pff. You're not actually thinking about PLAYING the games in your Steam gamebank, are you?

8i1dt37buh2m.png

I don't know of anything like that, but until I find something like that or someone makes it I've just been moving games to the beaten category I made in my library.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular

I think you're stuck with either the categories in Steam, or keeping Backloggery up to date. I went with the backloggery option, it works for me but it did take a couple of hours to set up so it's not ideal.

This discussion has been closed.