As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] Old thread. Please lock.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Do esports teams change a lot? I looked up who's on Quantic Gaming and see that three of them were on Nevo at The International and one of them at MYM.

• SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    Gnomocide wrote:
    Page- wrote: »
    Dota 2 bots are pretty bad for comparing to general pubs. They're way too passive in lane and just roll over and die when you start being aggressive.

You can practice last hitting and denying against them, I guess.

I think you're overestimating the skills of people who've never played dota before. The game is so far from being "intuitive" that many newcomers do a lot of really counter-productive stuff that seems right (pushing/towerdiving from the get-go etc.), and the bots will indeed completely dominate them. I had a decent idea of the theory behind the game when I started (read a lot of stuff and watched streams before), but I still got completely wrecked by the bots at the start because the difference between "good positioning" and "huge overextension" is so relatively small to the untrained eye (and dependant on knowing the abilities of the heroes as well). But yeah, after learning those basic things and getting used to the interface, the bots lose almost all their usefulness. They are still nice to have when you just need 2 minutes to get a grip on a new hero, though.

edit: not saying people MUST PLAY BOTS FOR 2 WEEKS or some shit like that, but for those of us who like to take it slow, they're a decent option (just don't overdo it, bot games are really boring compared to the real deal of course). Other players may prefer jumping into the fray and hoping for the best, which is equally valid of course :)

Na'Vi vs Quantic Gaming GRAND FINAL will be up within less than 2 hours, going to be good! I'm really enjoying Tobi and Synderen casting together, they compliment each other very well. GO QUANTIC

but do they complement one another?

• GnomocideGnomocide Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    no, I only watch for the compliments, they have reverse-synergy and thus don't complement each other at all.

(curse you senshi :P)

Gnomocide on
    dota-coladas errwhere

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    So does anyone know if Gabe Newell plays under the name "Gabe Newell"? I played against a guy with that name the other day... I just figured it was someone that changed their name but I wasn't sure.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    So does anyone know if Gabe Newell plays under the name "Gabe Newell"? I played against a guy with that name the other day... I just figured it was someone that changed their name but I wasn't sure.

I doubt Gabe would play games with that tag. If anything it would be gaben and he'd only play that on some publicity stunt. He probably has a hidden steam account.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius

As far as I know, this is Gabe Newell's profile. If you check someone's profile you can click the little arrow next to their name to see what names they have used previously.

Just because, I also checked Robin Walker's profile and it looks like he does play some Dota 2.

edited March 2012
    this synderen guy is trying too hard to be I don't know what he's trying to be but he's trying too hard

Senshi on
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Synderen is far and away the best pro co-caster that Tobi has.

e: Also, holy fuck... 30k viewers. This game is in beta!

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    pardzh wrote:

I'm sure that he's a great caster

but he can't banter for shit

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    So much lag.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    Senshi wrote: »
    pardzh wrote:

It's not what he's there for. He's there to follow up with the insight of a pro player after Tobi has done his insane play-by-play thing.

pardzh wrote:
    pardzh wrote:

It's not what he's there for. He's there to follow up with the insight of a pro player after Tobi has done his insane play-by-play thing.

then why is he trying so hard?

pardzh wrote:
    pardzh wrote:

then why is he trying so hard?

I don't even... What? That makes no sense.

He's trying hard

to achieve a level of witty banter

and he's failing hard

he doesn't need to banter because he's a good caster, of that there is no doubt

so why does he try hard to banter

what part of that does not make any sense

or are we just getting mad at senshi because HE'S A CASTER AND A KNOWN FIGURE IN ELECTRONIC SPORTS SO WE CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE BECAUSE IF YOU HAVE A NON-POSITIVE OPINION YOU'RE THE CANCER KILLING VIDEOGAMES

or are you just being purposefully obtuse because you're some sort of fanboy?

• BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    or maybe you are overreacting to an incredible amount

who knoooowssssss

game 1 was p. good, f those people who were trying to spectate via i.p T.T

Biosys on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    i don't really know what you mean either tbh senshi, hasn't really looked like 'tried too hard to banter' to me

19ZUtIw.png
    Biosys wrote: »
    game 1 was p. good, f those people who were trying to spectate via i.p T.T

I'm not gonna blame them. If available, spectating in-game is gonna be far superior to watching a stream and few people are gonna know that they don't have the same level of support for spectating private games as public matchmaking games.

With just a couple more features for replays/spectating, I'd never watch a Dota 2 stream again.

• übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Na'Vi got screwed hard in that first game because of the lag. Every single time they made a move the game locked up. By the third time they should have just started the whole thing over. I wouldn't say I'm a Na'Vi fan, but those disadvantages due to lag were so one sided.

camo_sig.png
    edited March 2012
    Quantic did win a lot of the teamfights pretty convincingly, of which none were really affected by the lag.

pardzh on

I want to watch more, but the stream is only giving me 35k/s on any quality setting.

camo_sig.png
    This whole Storm/Tiny lineup is starting to look really horrible.

It was horrible. It seems the only stream working well now is the HD one, they must have allocated most of the lower quality bandwidth up to that one.

camo_sig.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Does anyone else get frustrated watching Shadow Shaman? CC ALL THE THINGS FOREVER

• BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    hd is the direct stream itself, for any lower settings it has to go through own3d's encoding stuff, with varying degrees of succcess/smoothness

hd's working a lot better than 360p for me now anyway

3clipse wrote: »
    Does anyone else get frustrated watching Shadow Shaman? CC ALL THE THINGS FOREVER

Picking AM without banning Rhasta seems silly, especially when it seemed like Na'Vi already knew that Quantic favors him.

• nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    i blame dendi's lag!!!!

man i wanted to see some dirty tiny combos

and i had such high hopes for 6 minute Midas AM

19ZUtIw.png
    They reset the stream, and now 360p works fine again.

camo_sig.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    tehjester wrote: »
    Gnomocide wrote: »
    I think you're overestimating the skills of people who've never played dota before. The game is so far from being "intuitive" that most newcomers do a lot of really counter-productive stuff that seems right (pushing from the get-go, etc.), and the bots will indeed completely dominate them. I had a decent idea of the theory behind the game when I started (read a lot of stuff and watched streams before), but I still got completely wrecked by the bots at the start because the difference between "good positioning" and "huge overextension" is so relatively small to the untrained eye (and dependant on knowing the abilities of the heroes as well). But yeah, after learning those basic things, the bots lose almost all their usefulness.

As a complete noob to dota (I've played LoL but i know there's a vast difference between LoL and DotA2) i can say this is 100% correct. These bots are teaching the value of positioning and not to overextend myself

While that's fine and all, many newer players develop the bad habit of being way too passive in lane and during the mid game. If the bots are fostering that type of play, meh. They're alright for learning last hitting and denying and the heroes, but for actually learning how to play and what should work and what shouldn't, not really.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    good grand finals

hurrah

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    So I learned to jungle and stack creeps with juggernaut... its pretty fun. What other heroes are good jungle? I tried axe and he was ok with the counter attack thing, seems better with jugg though since I can wipe out the first easy creeps and have just enough time to stack the other ones near my lane and then deny some exp to the other team.

Speaking of denying exp like that, is it normal to do so even if you aren't jungling, but just running bottom lane?

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Enchantress is really easy to jungle with. You take control of a creep and let it take all the hits.

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    He's trying hard

to achieve a level of witty banter

and he's failing hard

he doesn't need to banter because he's a good caster, of that there is no doubt

so why does he try hard to banter

what part of that does not make any sense

or are we just getting mad at senshi because HE'S A CASTER AND A KNOWN FIGURE IN ELECTRONIC SPORTS SO WE CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE BECAUSE IF YOU HAVE A NON-POSITIVE OPINION YOU'RE THE CANCER KILLING VIDEOGAMES

or are you just being purposefully obtuse because you're some sort of fanboy?

Dunno man, the guy talked to his co-caster when not talking about strategy. If you think he was bad at it, you should check out other casts, maybe not DOTA2 but SC2 has plenty of amateur casters. The casting for the finals yesterday was really classy stuff, comparable to SC2 casting a year ago even.

• shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    Synderen has been casting with Tobi forever. He's way past the point of having to try hard. That is how they legitimately interact.

Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    3clipse wrote: »

i hate anyone playing rhasta other than myself, because they all fail at ccing.
    note: i of course refer to someone on my team picking rhasta after i say i am planning on grabbing him, so much hate.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    Hey guys. I just got a key for this lovely game and am now very torn between it and Lol. I was wondering the best way to learn the game. Should I just start randoming heroes and do recommended builds or stick to like 5 or so. So for I've played lich half a dozen times, Sven a few times, Storm spirit twice, bounty hunter and a few others in draft pick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    StokedUp wrote: »
    Hey guys. I just got a key for this lovely game and am now very torn between it and Lol. I was wondering the best way to learn the game. Should I just start randoming heroes and do recommended builds or stick to like 5 or so. So for I've played lich half a dozen times, Sven a few times, Storm spirit twice, bounty hunter and a few others in draft pick.

Just so that no one is confused... I like LoL and Dota, I think they are both great games. But when it comes to Dota, you wanna unlearn a lot of things from LoL. For starters, tower damage is WAY different... if you are running away, don't stop at your tower unless they have just a tiny amount of HP left. Thats the number one thing I see LoL players do wrong in Dota.

This guide has been posted before, but its really damn good with how honest it is: http://www.welcometodota2.com/2012/01/purges-inclusive-guide-for-noobs-aka.html

Just remember the skill and knowledge ceiling in Dota is fucking huge, but the satisfaction of when you learn stuff is really great.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    Thank you much!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Just got an invite and had my first game, really my first match of games with this type! It...it did not go well. At all. But that's to be expected I suppose, though I do feel like Valve could make the interface a little more intuitive. There doesn't seem to be any clear "X" button to close the store that I could find, no indication that you're supposed to buy items with the right mouse button, which is a little weird, no indication on how on earth you're supposed to use those portal scrolls...

I'll get used to it, i imagine, and it looks like they'll eventually have a tutorial.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    You're getting down to the point of them having a pop-up that says "right click to move" with that stuff.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream