As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    Anyone want to play?

• Options
    EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    I'm watching the http://www.nasl.tv/ stream at the moment, but I'm up for a game when it is done.

• Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    Ugh...feels like tac strike could be 10x the cost, and there would still be too many of them each map. So sick of defending a flag, only to get tac striked from half the map away. At least make it a grenade beacon or something that requires SKILL...ugh, I hate this game tonight. I'll love it tomorrow.

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I don't know, it's pretty damn easy to dodge a tac strike by just flying up when you see the laser disappear.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Just did Arena, our team lost but I got three of the top six medals. Aftermath x 2 Double kill x2 and Blue Plate Special x2

Oh man I love this game.

• Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    Missed the show match =(

Anyone know if they are posting videos of it?

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    I don't know, it's pretty damn easy to dodge a tac strike by just flying up when you see the laser disappear.

They may have patched this recently, but, in my experience, not only will flying off the ground not save you, neither will being under a roof (in the case of Crossfire).

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    In Crossfire, you have to be under the roof in the room by the flag. If you are in an upstairs hallway (and not in the generator room), the splash can get you. Flying up can help, sometimes you still get hit. Either way, if you see the laser, just fly away for a second. If they follow you with it, it will probably reset and you have even more time to get away. If they keep it on the flag, you will live and be back on the flag in 5 seconds.

I do think tac strikes should be 5,000 or so. It's always silly when someone uses it at the end of a match and everyone remembers they have one. It would also work to give people that upgraded turrets/gen a small amount of credits per kill or whatever.

I don't know for sure, but I imagine the NASL videos will be up on the site sometime later.

• Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    .....It would also work to give people that upgraded turrets/gen a small amount of credits per kill or whatever.

This, or at least a notification if your upgraded turret did something. It always feels like such a waste because you just never know if it was worth it or not.

• Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    My two main issues with Tac Strikes is that with cordination, there is 0% chance to stop a flag grab. 0, none, nada. They will be on your flag in the middle of the strike and you will die horribly if you're close by, also, all your set defenses just went poof. Its the dumbest thing and means that after the 5-6 minute mark you have no hope vs a real team of being on the flag to defend it. It also leads to a slippery slope mechanic where the team capturing, now has someone that can tac strike for the next capture, etc etc.

Could they fix this? Yes. Doom bringer shield is a bubble that at full strength absorbs a tac strike but dies at the end. You and your placements survive, but you're unshielded. Obviously, double tac strikes would work, but thats 7000 credits and requires two people to coordinate, not a problem with team work, but it needs to be more then two guys on vent one tacing, other flag grabbing, then they switch after the capture since the capture just gave that guy most of what he would need for a tac strike.

Or they could just remove them and make it so heavies have a larger role and place in the game, along with team work, and defense, and the generator, and...yea, tac strikes are bad for the game, in my opinion. Go back to Juggers and laser tags.

edited for typo.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    If they manage to do the coordinated tac strike thing, you can just fly out of range and shoot at the flag stand. One or two people - which you should have defending the flag stand anyway - should be able to take down any capper like that.

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I think it might be an issue of making Vehicles and Upgrades an attractive alternative to calling in strikes. There's really no reason not to just horde credits and burn it on strikes later. Vehicles seem much weaker in the latest patch, and the base upgrades are kind of underwhelming, especially if your gen is always down.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Giant Bomb TNT is tribes tonight:

http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't know why, but after 2 large glasses of wine I become the god of death in shooters. Especially so in Tribes Ascend...
    Accursed Sandraker! How dare you break the law of gravity! Eat bolt!
    Air mail
    Air mail
    Air mail

Dram on
  • Options
    I have found myself loving the shit out of this game, CTF is a lot of fun and Arena is a return to form in some ways for FPS' in general.

I'm pretty bummed 343 studios fucked up Halo Reach but Tribes Ascend has done more to fill the FPS shaped void in my heart

• Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    Since no one has posted it yet. I will post it here.

Tribes Beta Version 0.1.809.0 Patch Notes

Badges are now awarded as you achieve certain milestones inside of the game. Each badge has multiple ranks (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Obisidian). You earn bonus XP each time you rank up a badge. You may view available and earned badges, as well as accolades and general stats, through the PROFILE menu broken down by subsections. Note that this system is still a work in progress, and some items are not yet fully complete. In addition, some bugs and issues should be expected.
    Two new perks have been added (see below for more).
    A new Team Deathmatch map has been added (Outskirts).

Weapon/Balance Items

Mirv Launcher and Mortar Launcher now use standard 50% projectile inheritance.
    Two new perks have been added - Rage and Sonic Punch.
    Rage is a defensive Perk that, fully unlocked, increases energy regeneration for a limited time and provides a 25% heal if nearby your flag when an enemy grabs it.
    Sonic Punch, fully unlocked, creates a shock wave with each melee swing that pushes back nearby players, and can force a flag fumble.

Additional Items

Fixed many scenarios where weapons could “dry fire.” This fix improves instances where the weapon would appear to fire but no projectile would spawn, improves instances where the weapon could falsely reload, and improves scenarios where a deployable would not properly deploy, even though it appears valid on the player’s client.
    Arena Gamemode
    Arena now unlocks as a playable mode at Level 8.
    Fixed issue where players would spawn as the Soldier class upon first joining an Arena Deathmatch.
    Credit count resets after each new round in Arena Deathmatch (the total number of reported credits earned for the lifetime of the match is retained, however).
    To better indicate a player is in a warm-up round, the game goes grayscale during this period.
    The overhead caret for the last man standing on a team is now always visible to other players.
    Players who are benched during the finale of a round will no longer AFK timeout if the finale lasts more than three minutes.
    When a player runs out of respawns, the text next to the death counter now says, “Out of Respawns” and when the timer expires it says, “Fire to Spectate”
    The distance from the reticule to see the health and nameplates of other players and objectives is more lenient, especially when zoomed.
    CTF Temple Ruins has been removed from the public queue pending technical and design improvements.
    CTF Bella Omega has been removed from the public queue pending design improvements.
    Fixed many bugs on the Player and Team Summary Scenes
    The “Acquired” pop-up has been improved.
    The HUD animations for accolades and badges has been improved.
    Fixed a bug where a player could ski through an inventory station and be propelled out.
    Fixed a bug where the player could get in a situation where they would not properly attach to a vehicle station.
    Fixed the “missing font” log spam.
    Fixed a bug where you could click the “Boost” button from the Player Summary even when that button is invisible.
    Fixed issues where players were not being AFK kicked in situations where they were the only one in the match and at the initial team-select screen.
    The in-match class quick select screen no longer overrides the post process effects for the map.
    Added proper animations to the Heavy when driving or riding on a Grav Cycle.
    Fixed a bug where ammo pickups were floating in the air or continuously bouncing.
    Fixed an issue where bForceStaticTerrain stopped working in the previous patch.
    Fixed an issue where users were losing their weapons when spawning a vehicle and then immediately using an inventory station.
    Fixed an issue where players were able to call-in a Supply Drop on their own head.
    Fixed an issue where turret holograms were not properly disappearing after using an inventory station.
    Fixed an issue where sticky projectiles on the generator were not damaging nearby players.
    Fixed an issue where users were able to stay perpetually hidden from turrets by rapidly enabling and disabling stealth.
    Fixed an issue where the Soldier’s Utility Pack was not functioning for many players.
    Added improved collision to base turrets and base radar sensors.
    Fixed an issue where motion sensors destroyed by enemies were not triggering.
    Lava on Inferno TDM will now cause damage when touched, but currently will not show players on fire after contact.
    Fixed an issue where players were able to get over the boundary wall on Inferno. Also fixed collision issues on the ceiling in the central tunnel.
    Lava Arena has been refitted with a custom art set.
    VGS and Team Announcer volume settings are now properly working.
    Base Turrets and Base Radar Sensors now have new collision, this will make them easier to hit and repair.
    Fixed an issue where 1P overlay effects on the weapon and arms would not be playing even when the effect was active, i.e. health regeneration, stealth, jammer, etc.
    Fixed an issue where Shrikes were taking double or more damage from light turrets.
    Fixed an issue where certain sounds were not stopping when the player died.
    Fixed an issue where the Infiltrator’s Stealth Spinfusor was not doing extra damage to armored.
    Rank names have been adjusted to match new iconsx.

Known Issues

Lava pain volumes in Inferno TDM will not show any fire particle effects.
    Roaming a map can occasionally lead to a crash. The fix is under investigation.
    The new gray-scale effect that shows up during a warm-up round in Arena Deathmatch does not affect users with low video card settings.
    Pathfinder’s Light Assault Rifle allows for constant repeated bursts of fire in training areas if the player holds down the fire button. This issue will be fixed in a subsequent patch.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    The badges are kinda fun. Most players will get several in their first match, I imagine.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    johnwing wrote: »
    *Fixed many scenarios where weapons could “dry fire.” This fix improves instances where the weapon would appear to fire but no projectile would spawn, improves instances where the weapon could falsely reload, and improves scenarios where a deployable would not properly deploy, even though it appears valid on the player’s client.
    *Fixed a bug where a player could ski through an inventory station and be propelled out.
    *Added improved collision to base turrets and base radar sensors.
    *Fixed an issue where certain sounds were not stopping when the player died.

Yes, yes, yes!

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Doesn't seem like it actually reports what badges you are getting, but, I got a TON of exp in my first match with the new patch.

Of course now the servers seem to be borked.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Sucks that we'll be getting essentially minus two CTF maps while they're being tweaked. I guess people were too miffed about the general generator defense on Bella, and the Temple I can see easily being a bit more consolidated and focused.

• Options
    I don't get why they keep messing with Bella, it was kinda meh, and then they made it AWESOME, and then they made it okay, and then they mad it bleh.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I'm liking the new Reach-style commendation badge thingies; some extra XP doesn't hurt at all. Connection right now is very sketchy at times; I'll wait until later tomorrow to play some more.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Don't buy Sonic Punch. I know, I know... it already looks bad on paper. I just thought that maybe if the range is good, or the knockback is big, or it adds damage.

Nope. It's melee range with a wider arc. The knockback is minimal. It does have a cool sound and visual though!

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I got like 18,000XP my first round after the patch. Insane.

And the servers are really shitty right now.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    Servers are a little unstable because Hi-Rez is purposely stressing them to track down a bug that occurs at high loads.
    Also this patch had a nasty side effect on Light Turrets they are firing twice as fast, so thatis gonna be annoying till a Hotfix is out.

• Options
    sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    Who-Psyd wrote:
    Servers are a little unstable because Hi-Rez is purposely stressing them to track down a bug that occurs at high loads.
    Also this patch had a nasty side effect on Light Turrets they are firing twice as fast, so thatis gonna be annoying till a Hotfix is out.

Avoid Arena.... It has become HELL!

• Options
    The best bug right now is that getting a kill credit instead of a kill is causing you to lose a kill and money instead of giving you stuff.

Some players have taken to the habit of just hitting the K key any time they are really low on health. It's frustrating.

• Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    So they added inheritance for the fusion mortar and MIRV. So when exactly are they going to add it for the freaking AP Grenades? I can't tell you how many times I've been scooting along wanting to lob a grenade into a group only to have it fall slightly in front of me and kill me or at least really damage me badly. I can't believe it still isn't fixed.

• Options
    OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    I just started playing this last night and it inspired equal parts joy and frustration.

I appear to still have some of my 8th grade spinfuzor dueling skills left, and I feel like out in the open, I've got a fair shot at beating anybody regardless of their loadout or mine. They've done a good job at making a game that plays and feels a lot like Tribes classic.

But then it got really frustrating that the bases are basically indefensible. I think it's partly base design (so many entrances, many of them more accessible to enemy skiers than spawning defenders) and partly game design (max two turrets per technician, and it looks like you have to stay a technician or they disappear).

Am I missing something? Because after a few games of the gennies going down inside the first 30 seconds and the whole base staying completely destroyed over the match it was getting pretty frustrating. It seems like they really want to just emphasize cappin' flags, mid-field duels. and camping in the generator room.

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Options
    Bases can't be locked up tight, but some skillful defense can keep the gens up for the most part. If the enemy is devoting too much attention to dropping gens then they're in trouble anyway.

Who-Psyd wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The best bug right now is that getting a kill credit instead of a kill is causing you to lose a kill and money instead of giving you stuff.

Some players have taken to the habit of just hitting the K key any time they are really low on health. It's frustrating.

Seems both of these bugs have been fixed, thankfully.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I just started playing this last night and it inspired equal parts joy and frustration.

I appear to still have some of my 8th grade spinfuzor dueling skills left, and I feel like out in the open, I've got a fair shot at beating anybody regardless of their loadout or mine. They've done a good job at making a game that plays and feels a lot like Tribes classic.

But then it got really frustrating that the bases are basically indefensible. I think it's partly base design (so many entrances, many of them more accessible to enemy skiers than spawning defenders) and partly game design (max two turrets per technician, and it looks like you have to stay a technician or they disappear).

Am I missing something? Because after a few games of the gennies going down inside the first 30 seconds and the whole base staying completely destroyed over the match it was getting pretty frustrating. It seems like they really want to just emphasize cappin' flags, mid-field duels. and camping in the generator room.

It's map design, mainly. Namely they are terrible at it.

Also an unhealthy obsession with catering only to the "Must Go Faster" flag capper crowd. They are now slapping the "Fastest FPS In Town" type lines on their advertising, which should tell you what they think about those of us who played the originals with a defensive mindset.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

It's map design, mainly. Namely they are terrible at it.

Also an unhealthy obsession with catering only to the "Must Go Faster" flag capper crowd. They are now slapping the "Fastest FPS In Town" type lines on their advertising, which should tell you what they think about those of us who played the originals with a defensive mindset.

It's also a little perturbing how locked down the game is in comparison to the older games (and I don't mean the classes and what have you). There's no player hosted servers and no mods. I understand that F2P doesn't really work if someone can just make a mod that unlocks all your cool stuff that you want people to pay for, but the game loses some of its richness without the possibility of a mod like TAC (which emphasized teamwork and vehicles because if you touched the ground you exploded).

I understand their match-making service or whatever you want to call it, and I think it works pretty well (I like having to choose new teams blind every match), but I kind of miss being to just pick a server to hang out on and see the same people all the time. I suppose if you just get a group of friends on at the same and all do "join a friend" it works pretty similarly. I guess in that case, my handle on Tribes is the same as this one, OhTheVogonity. I'm gonna keep at this a while, because it still seems like pretty rewarding gameplay, even if I might have to change my style a bit.

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Generators are definitely not indefensible. With 2+ good people guarding the room/vicinity it becomes very challenging to break in without a team effort, let alone kill the gen for any reasonable amount of time. One player on D usually isn't enough though, as a Raider I can pretty easily take out one guy.

Zek on
  • Options
    I've found I can almost take care of the generator myself as a Tech, but I also had to unlock everything to do it. Its not an easy job, but with the thumper, 2 turrets and 4 motion detectors I can keep the generator up most of the match as long as the rest of my team holds their own. That said, having a second person makes this 100x easier. If 3+ people are constantly going after the generator, they're wasting valuable players and just keeping them busy will likely cost their team the game.

If you have 6 raiders camping your base the entire match, chances are your team has other issues.

• Options
    BhaelfurBhaelfur Registered User regular
    Did they buff machine guns? It seems that Raiders and Techs never miss me when using their SMGs.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I've found I can almost take care of the generator myself as a Tech, but I also had to unlock everything to do it. Its not an easy job, but with the thumper, 2 turrets and 4 motion detectors I can keep the generator up most of the match as long as the rest of my team holds their own. That said, having a second person makes this 100x easier. If 3+ people are constantly going after the generator, they're wasting valuable players and just keeping them busy will likely cost their team the game.

If you have 6 raiders camping your base the entire match, chances are your team has other issues.

Hoping your team has one guy that has enough unlocks to make a manageable defense is pretty frustrating.

• Options
    I'm glad you agree that one person can effectively defend the generator.

• Options
    They have to, especially in the long run, balance the game around people having unlocks.

Its one of the unfortuante aspects of F2P but its far better to balance at the level that you will be at for the majority of the time (maxed out) than you will be at the minority of the time (not everything unlocked).

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I imagine a skilled RDR can also defend the gen quite solidly. I am terrible at RDR but I can cause a lot of havoc indoors.

Jugs who can use Mortar well indoors are also very dangerous.

It's also a little perturbing how locked down the game is in comparison to the older games (and I don't mean the classes and what have you). There's no player hosted servers and no mods. I understand that F2P doesn't really work if someone can just make a mod that unlocks all your cool stuff that you want people to pay for, but the game loses some of its richness without the possibility of a mod like TAC (which emphasized teamwork and vehicles because if you touched the ground you exploded).

I understand their match-making service or whatever you want to call it, and I think it works pretty well (I like having to choose new teams blind every match), but I kind of miss being to just pick a server to hang out on and see the same people all the time. I suppose if you just get a group of friends on at the same and all do "join a friend" it works pretty similarly. I guess in that case, my handle on Tribes is the same as this one, OhTheVogonity. I'm gonna keep at this a while, because it still seems like pretty rewarding gameplay, even if I might have to change my style a bit.

Private servers (though not player-hosted, I think) will be coming in the future, which will allow custom rulesets and such (including increasing the importance of gens, among other options). They seem to want to keep the gameplay a bit simpler/faster on the typical public servers though, hence the lower emphasis on base defense in current matches.

Remember the game is still in beta, so don't assume there won't be maps that have heavier emphasis on bases, etc. Personally I hope they end up with a mix so that there is variety from map to map.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm glad you agree that one person can effectively defend the generator.

Against one person, sure. I disagree that defending the generator is currently effective though. You can defend it in some cases, I just don't really get why you would.

This discussion has been closed.