As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good luck finding the Pizza Planet truck. [BRAVE]

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    pretty sure "prince" is a reasonable short-hand for "disney male protagonist"

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I think the term is "prince consort"

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    But "prince consort" is a title apparently given to the husband of a queen regnant. I'm not sure if it applies to the husband of an heiress apparent.

royal titles are hard!

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    pretty sure "prince" is a reasonable short-hand for "disney male protagonist"

yes definitely

tAwiZ.jpg

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    NOT A PRINCE

DO NOT MAKE ME DO THIS AGAIN

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Sheri you are the resident Disney expert

Explain to me why Aurora and Cinderella both have lemon yellow hair in Disney products these days

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    tAwiZ.jpg

yes, cartoon Michael Shanks is definitely a prince

Sheri who is the best Disney Prince

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Sheri who is the best Disney Prince

Me hello

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Yeah uh. Flynn is definitely not a prince in Tangled. He's not even a particularly good thief.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Technicality. He's a prince in the making. Just like in Aladdin, he becomes a prince by catching himself a princess as a wife.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Also had a genie and was all 'make me a prince'

Flynn had a genie? :P

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER

itty bitty living space

Man now I wanna watch Aladdin.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    one bone fide prince pedigree, coming up!

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I really, really like that new spot.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    The fiance and I watched Aladdin two nights ago and discussed some odd things about the wishes in the movies.

Aladdin and Jafar both get screwed over in their wishes since they ended up only getting their third wishes truly granted.

Aladdin wishes to be a prince, which the Genie grants without any kind of issue. He doesn't say "Ok, I'll make you appear to be a prince" or anything like that, he says he'll make him a prince. So taking this to it's logical conclusion, that means Genie either magically integrated Aladdin into an existing royal family, or he created an entirely new kingdom, family, and subjects for Aladdin. The scene of Genie firing magic all around the oasis after changing Aladdin's clothes implies the latter (Aladdin even shows up to Agrabah with a large entourage of subjects who all promptly disappear and are never mentioned again after the scene). So Genie essentially stole someone's land, put a kingdom there, created a royal family, made Aladdin their son, and then created all the subjects for them to rule over. Either that or he never granted the damn wish in the first place and only gave him a new outfit and a musical number while deducting one of his wishes.

Then Genie decides he can't rescue Aladdin from drowning without Aladdin making a wish (apparently an arbitrary decision, seeing as he's fully capable of acting independently as long as he doesn't kill anyone or get out of range of his lamp), so he deducts a wish from Aladdin even though Aladdin was unconscious.

Then Jafar gets the lamp and wishes to be Sultan and the most powerful Sorcerer in the world. This power apparently either allows him to undo the wishes granted by a genie (erasing a kingdom and an unknown amount of subjects from existence when he reverts Aladdin to street rat, along with essentially murdering Aladdin's royal parents), or he knew Genie lied to Aladdin about being a prince and simply changed his clothes back. If it's the former then he's definitely stupid for falling for Aladdin's ploy about the genie being stronger (and also dumb if he can undo wishes because he could simply undo Aladdin's second wish and make him drown). If it's the latter then he should suspect that the Genie never actually granted his own wishes and merely changed his own clothes as well.

When Jafar is turned into a Genie and trapped inside a lamp, for some reason his first two wishes are completely undone. Despite still being alive and not having loss his position through any political maneuvering, Jafar is no longer Sultan and Jasmine's dad is once again (and even the palace teleports back to it's original location). Furthermore, all the spells cast by Jafar with his sorcerer powers are completely undone--except for the one that changed Aladdin from prince to street rat. Because Genie never made him a prince at all, he was always a street rat.

What does all of this tell us? That the Genie is evil, and everything he did was a long con to get someone to wish him his freedom with their third wish (exactly what Jafar tries to do in the sequel, though with more subtlety). Everything he does with Aladdin is to push him towards the third wish as quickly as possible by making him think he's a prince and then subtracting a second wish that isn't wished for. When Aladdin isn't sure he has his happy ending and backs down from wishing the Genie free with his third wish, the Genie manipulates events to eventually lead to a Xanatos Gambit where either Jafar will wish the Genie to be free so that the Genie will be weaker than him (which would be untrue, as he only changed Jafar's clothes and made him think he was a sultan or sorcerer by secretly doing the magic for him, which is why it all goes away the second Jafar is out of sight), or Aladdin will defeat Jafar and then wish the Genie free having learned a life lesson and gotten his happy ending.

Thus by the end of the film, the only two wishes the Genie granted without lying or cheating was Jafar's wish to become a genie (which the Genie knew was a prison sentence), and Aladdin's wish for his freedom. The other wishes were all either taken away or fabricated, or not proper wishes like the drowning one.

What else does this tell us? My fiance and I should not watch Disney movies at 2am. Also we'll be going to see Brave in theaters.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    ah but in aladdin 3 it was revealed that aladdin's father was the king of thieves and therefore aladdin is a prince of thieves through inheritance

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    That is the best trailer so far. It actually tells us something about the story.

I wonder how much of that is poorly translated, because some of it comes across as sort of engrishy.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I love Scottish accents so much.

Scottish and Kiwi are the best accents.

BLM - ACAB
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    seems to me like a lot of the "rules of the forest stuff" was thrown into the trailer to appeal to japanese moviegoer sensibilities

also people were talking about this movie earlier, it looks fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97V0FggJNcc

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »

Scottish and Kiwi are the best accents.

Oh man now I miss my friend Ben who happens to be a Kiwi.

Playing Inquisitor with him was so much fun.

"Oy mate, you shit 'im right in tha heed!"

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Aww, how come Japan gets a release date and there's nothing about Korea? I wanna see this movie but I cannot afford the price of a movie ticket in Japan.

Or a plane ticket to get there, either, I guess.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    They still have the hydrofoil ferry from Busan to Fukuoka? Might be a more reasonable price than flight.

Yeah, but the hydrofoil typically is about 200, same as a flight over. Also I'm trying very hard to persuade myself to go somewhere new instead of back to Japan AGAIN this year.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Yessss, this is being released close to my birthday, that is wonderful timing.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Wow, and somehow I thought the ferry between Japan and Korea was relatively inexpensive.

Guess my plan to visit Korea and then pop over to glorious Nippon for a day or two is pretty flawed!

edited March 2012
    It's pretty fun, though! The ferry, I mean. If you like boats. Which I do.

Also if you enjoy Fukuoka. Which I also do.

But the hydrofoil ferry only goes to Fukuoka, and maybe one other neighboring city (Shimonoseki now that I've looked it up) so if you were thinking of hitting any of the big cities in Japan you'd be looking at ferry + rail pass and travel times would increase, so you may as well just get an airplane ticket. There's also an overnight boat to Fukuoka but I think it's the same price. Also also a looooooong ass trip ship that takes you to Osaka. Again, might as well get an airplane ticket unless you are all about sea voyages.

Anyway the obvious answer is skip the land of the rising sun and stay here in the land of morning calm.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    the obvious answer is to fly to Korea and then stuff yourself full of delicious kimchi to smuggle back to the states so I can break you open like a pinata.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    You could visit some out-of-the-way Korean seaside village known for fresh seafood restaurants. Or go into the mountains and talk to a cat. Vacationable places.

I was looking at Orbitz the other day to see how Portland->Busan flights are these days, and the first several options they gave me didn't go the usual Portland->Tokyo->Busan route I normally take, but some sort of Portland->Vancouver->Beijing->overnight stay in China->Busan circuit. Had to scroll down a ways to see anything more direct.

But I'd still expect Brave to appear roughly around June/July over there.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I really liked Despicable Me. I usually don't go out of my way to see non Pixar CGI movies but I'm glad I saw that one.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote:

Hooray, I'm popular!

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    I pretty much watch most of the animated movies that come out as of late unless I really think they are gonna be bad. There is always a stinker released each year but in general I can't say I regret having watched most of the animated movies I've seen in theater. It is a nice way to spend a couple hours with my younger cousins and I can expect the film to at least be decent, and I don't exactly have that same confidence in non-animated movies which I feel can vary much more widely in quality.

• StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

Hooray, I'm popular!

Is Kevin McKidd in this movie? He might have the best Scot accent ever

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Staleghoti wrote:
    Fyndir wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

Hooray, I'm popular!

Is Kevin McKidd in this movie? He might have the best Scot accent ever

Brave (2012) .... Lord MacGuffin/Lord's son Young MacGuffin