As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Like, Alternative Music

• YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    thorpe wrote:
    Does Sigur-Ros count? Because I have been listening to a lot of them.
    If a post-rock fan doesn't make a post-rock thread soon, I might do it for them, but they won't like what I have to say.

Just sayin' I'd prefer not to talk about Mogwai and Sigur Ros and The Mars Volta and Muse and all those others that I am personally not so hot on all the time but that there are TONS of fans of on this board.

(Although I like Sigur Ros, they're just too sleepy for me to listen to all the time)
    I agree with what you're saying about Sigur Ros and I assume based on your post that you would also apply it to Mogwai, as I would. But I don't understand how you could relate those same criticisms to The Mars Volta, because they seem pretty unrelated to me. In all fairness, I haven't listened to Frances the Mute yet.

YosemiteSam on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I just started listening to a bit of Miyavi, this J-rocker who plays fucking awesome blues slap guitar. Well, the one song I really like is blues slap guitar. It is, of course, called "Are you ready to ROCK?"

The answer is yes. Yes I am.

Evil Multifarious on
  • bakaHeadbakaHead Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Of Montreal is really good, and so is Mogwai. IMO anyways :D ooh and I forgot Pulp, I really like pulp.

bakaHead on
    What do you do? You laugh you know. I'm not saying I don't cry but in between you laugh I realize its silly to take everything so seriously.
  • Porphyria PlanPorphyria Plan Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I have tried and tried and tried to enjoy Mogwai and I just can't. I can't recall what I didn't like though since it's been a while. Can someone point me in the direction of a couple of their good CDs with good songs? That'd really help me see if I'm missing something good.

Going to see Appleseed Cast tonight at a local club and the wife and I are pretty excited but I think that might delve into another abhorrent genre label. :P

Porphyria Plan on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'd say Rock Action or Hunted by A Freak are Mogwais best albums. You might want to tryo Mr Beast thier most recent one though. it's not quite as good but its a little more accessible.

Mogwai is really best listened to LOUD. If you don't have a good soundsystem try listening to it on headphones. It's the tiny little details that make it interesting and not so good stereos tend to not do thier music justice.

Give it a chance. Took me months for Mogwai to really grow on me.

nexuscrawler on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'd say Rock Action or Hunted by A Freak are Mogwais best albums. You might want to tryo Mr Beast thier most recent one though. it's not quite as good but its a little more accessible.

Mogwai is really best listened to LOUD. If you don't have a good soundsystem try listening to it on headphones. It's the tiny little details that make it interesting and not so good stereos tend to not do thier music justice.

Same here. I'd recommend Happy Songs for Happy People. The track Mogwai Fear Satan from their debut Young Team is considered their quintessential loudcore track.

Alternatively, check out the live album, government commissions (BBC Sessions).

Edit- Hunted by a Freak isn't the album name it's the first track on Happy Songs. I like that album a lot for it's layered sounds. It's hard to describe Mogwai, because their melodies are so simple, yet the music is hypnotic (in a completely different way from trance)

My favorite individual tracks are:
    Kids Will Be Skeletons(Happy Songs)
    May Nothing But Happiness(Come on Die Young)
    Hunted By a Freak (Happy Songs)
    Killing All The Flies (Happy Songs)
    Helicon 2/New Paths to Helicon 2 (Ten Rapid/Government Commissions)

Sam on
    edited July 2006
    I'm the type of listener that can get music and not discover how good it is until months or years later. I give songs multiple chances. I mostly listen using head phones so that part is covered.

Thanks for the advice.

Porphyria Plan on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2006

I gotta go with Happy Songs for Happy People as Mogwai's best album. Mr. Beast was a solid album, though. I still gotta get that BBC sessions album.

Also, it's basically 100% pop, but I'm in love with Camera Obscura. They're like Belle & Sebastian, but not loathable. They're my pop trump card.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Low Key wrote:
    I like basically everyone in this lineup

Or I would do if I'd been able to get tickets. As it is ,they all suck and I hope a tidal wave hits Byron Bay tomorrow.
    You don't really like Snow Patrol do you? I'm still a little lost as to who likes Snow Patrol.

I was listening to one of their songs on the radio the other day, and I made a concrete decision that I would never cuddle with a girl who likes them. If this severely limits my opportunities with many of the hottest women in the world, I don't care. I have principles, and principles are better than cuddling with a Snow Patrol fan.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I agree with what you're saying about Sigur Ros and I assume based on your post that you would also apply it to Mogwai, as I would. But I don't understand how you could relate those same criticisms to The Mars Volta, because they seem pretty unrelated to me. In all fairness, I haven't listened to Frances the Mute yet.
    Oh yeah, it doesn't apply to Mars Volta or Muse, they're just frequently lumped together in this "post-rock" genre of people who are basically trying drastically to move away from traditional rock conventions, and in the old music thread about every 10-15 pages someone would say they like so and so post rock band, who should I listen to? And everyone would recommend the same bands over and over. This is how I came to listen to them and realize that I don't really like them that much.

I do like this Do Make Say Think group, though, and Sigur Ros and Mogwai just a little bit, so...

edited July 2006
    I hate how Sigur Ros is always lumped with Mogwai.
    I came across them in a similar way (not on the forums but both were simultaneously recommended by a post rock loving guy in the dorm) and although I like both bands a lot, I can't stand how they get lumped together.
    They are such different bands.
    This also happens with Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Nirvana and Pearl Jam. And most excruciatingly, Radiohead, Coldplay and Keane, although no one's really guilty of all that here.
    So like fuck genres or something. To uninitiated new listeners it destroys a band's individuality. I don't like the idea of getting into a band thinking "they're like X".

Sam on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Sam wrote:
    I came across them in a similar way (not on the forums but both were simultaneously recommended by a post rock loving guy in the dorm) and although I like both bands a lot, I can't stand how they get lumped together.

So like fuck genres or something.

Sigur Ros is a lot closer to Mogwair then they are to Megadeath or Neutral Milk Hotel. Get over it.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited July 2006
    Sam wrote:

So like fuck genres or something.
    You claim to have listened to them, and yet you don't see why they would be lumped together?

Yeah, there's slight variations on the theme, but the theme is still long, drawn-out, sleepy, ambient instrumental music. They're different bands, but whatever genre they're in is definitely the same genre.

edited July 2006
    Sigur Ros is far more emotional- mournful/heartfelt/jubilant. Mogwai's music is brooding, cynical and satirical when it's not nonsensical ("I am not Batman", "Burn Girl Prom Queen")
    Sigur Ros has lyrics in almost all of their songs. Sure it might as well be ambient vocals since they aren't in English, but there are translations online.
    Even the songs in their invented language have translations, and in any case there's an emphasis on vocals.
    Mogwai has 2 or 3 songs with lyrics.
    The 2 bands have very different live acts.
    And Sigur Ros is actually a mainstream band in Iceland. Mogwai has always been relatively underground.

Despite all this they are both post-rock bands, sure, but that's like saying Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are blues based classic rock bands. There's no doubting that, but they've put out very different music, and continually associating one to the other does neither justice.

Sam on
    edited July 2006
    Sam wrote:
    Sigur Ros is far more emotional- mournful/heartfelt/jubilant. Mogwai's music is brooding, cynical and satirical when it's not nonsensical ("I am not Batman", "Burn Girl Prom Queen")
    Sigur Ros has lyrics in almost all of their songs. Sure it might as well be ambient vocals since they aren't in English, but there are translations online.
    Even the songs in their invented language have translations, and in any case there's an emphasis on vocals.
    Mogwai has 2 or 3 songs with lyrics.
    The 2 bands have very different live acts.
    And Sigur Ros is actually a mainstream band in Iceland. Mogwai has always been relatively underground.

Despite all this they are both post-rock bands, sure, but that's like saying Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are blues based classic rock bands. There's no doubting that, but they've put out very different music, and continually associating one to the other does neither justice.
    Yeah, but look at this --

long songs
    ambient
    discarding conventional rock song structure
    instrumentation focusing on guitar, drums, et. al.
    tendency to experiment with other, non-traditional accompaniaments to that
    slow tempos

There's very similar artists, and if someone mentioned, "Hey! I like Mogwai!" I would say, "Hey! Have you heard Sigur Ros?" and vice-versa nearly all the time.

edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    long songs
    ambient
    slow tempos

That applies to so many artists from Radiohead to Mahavishnu Orchestra.

I see your point though. It's just that it would be cool if the bands were discussed for more than their similarity to each other.

Sam on
    edited July 2006
    Sam wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    long songs
    ambient
    slow tempos
    That applies to so many artists from Radiohead to Mahavishnu Orchestra.

I see your point though. It's just that it would be cool if the bands were discussed for more than their similarity to each other.
    Well, I haven't heard the Orchestra band, but at least for most of Kid A I would agree that Radiohead was very similar to Sigur Ros and Mogwai, except their songs aren't quite as long and there was a wider range of tempos and sounds on the album.

And I think discussing the similarities of bands is important to understand who is doing what, because I'm more or less in the "no idea is original" camp for the most part, but yeah, once you hone in on a genre you like then you start to discuss the difference. That's why we have sub-genre threads now instead of one big music thread, in the hopes that we can focus on a genre and work on a specific sound more instead of just tossing band names around.

And that's why I was bitching about the whole post-rock thing coming into the "alternative" rock thread, because I think these bands sound different enough to warrant their own sub-genre discussion.

Sorry to everyone who is bored to tears of the discussion.

I'm listening to the Strokes' Is This It? right now, and jesus I love these guys. Better than all their pop-retro-rock contemporaries for my money, and First Impressions of the Earth took about 3 or 4 listens before I decided it was a brilliantly mature follow-up to the previous two saccharine pop super fun albums. I love this band tons.

• strakha_7strakha_7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike

The soundtrack for an awesome day.

strakha_7 on
    Want a signature? Find a post by ElJeffe and quote a random sentence!
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Zero tolerance policies are almost invariably terrible.

One might say I have zero tolerance for them.
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    I'm listening to the Strokes' Is This It? right now, and jesus I love these guys. Better than all their pop-retro-rock contemporaries for my money, and First Impressions of the Earth took about 3 or 4 listens before I decided it was a brilliantly mature follow-up to the previous two saccharine pop super fun albums. I love this band tons.

i'm right there with ya. one of my favourite rock bands of these days for sure. what really annoys me though is that my one friend (my only friend who really digs music like i do) hates them because he thinks the lead singer can't sing. it pisses me off to no end and i play as much strokes around him as i possibly can because of it. :twisted:

chuck steak on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The Cat wrote:
    also, OH HOLY CHRIST I HATE HATE HATE WOLFMOTHER AND THEIR LAME ATTEMPTS TO BE LED ZEPPELIN DIIIIIEEEEE

I actually really love Wolfmother. I didn't think I'd like them, based on the description everyone gives them, but I bought the cd on a whim and loved it. I really don't hear them trying to be like Led Zeppelin at all, really. I can hear the influence, but there are just too many differences to say they're copying Zeppelin at all.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The Cat wrote:
    also, OH HOLY CHRIST I HATE HATE HATE WOLFMOTHER AND THEIR LAME ATTEMPTS TO BE LED ZEPPELIN DIIIIIEEEEE

I actually really love Wolfmother. I didn't think I'd like them, based on the description everyone gives them, but I bought the cd on a whim and loved it. I really don't hear them trying to be like Led Zeppelin at all, really. I can hear the influence, but there are just too many differences to say they're copying Zeppelin at all.

that's they thing, they can't copy zep. they just wish they could.

they aren't that bad, but after hearing 'woman' more than 5 times i got the rage and hoped i'd never hear it (or them) again.

chuck steak on
  • Lobster JohnsonLobster Johnson Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The Cat wrote:

they aren't that bad, but after hearing 'woman' more than 5 times i got the rage and hoped i'd never hear it (or them) again.
    Oh, shit, all I ever fucking hear when I turn the radio on down here is Wolfmother. They get props for the Frezetto pic on the cover, but the rest, im not sure whether its a bad Zep rip-off or a bad watering-down of stoner rock. Either way...they grate heavily, and quite quickly.

Lobster Johnson on
    squidsig.jpg
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The Cat wrote:

Oh, shit, all I ever fucking hear when I turn the radio on down here is Wolfmother. They get props for the Frezetto pic on the cover, but the rest, im not sure whether its a bad Zep rip-off or a bad watering-down of stoner rock. Either way...they grate heavily, and quite quickly.

Meh, I freaking love it. It's not going to win CD of the year from me or anything, but they're some really catchy songs with some great groove.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:

i'm right there with ya. one of my favourite rock bands of these days for sure. what really annoys me though is that my one friend (my only friend who really digs music like i do) hates them because he thinks the lead singer can't sing. it pisses me off to no end and i play as much strokes around him as i possibly can because of it. :twisted:
    I know a lot of people who really dislike the Strokes, and i just cant understand why. Maybe they take them too seriously or something.

Also, that concert in July has a decent lineup, but pales in comparison to bumbershoot.

And that is a day short this year(usualy 4 days :( )

Edit: and basically nothing compares to seeing Mike Doughty(Soul Caughing) and the Trancendental Orchestra(Death Cab for Cutie when not booked as a show) get on stage with Lemony Snicket and perform "Hungry Like the Wolf" (the rest of the Show, with Sarah Vowel doing a "This American Life" segment live [with the Trancendental Orchestra doing the music] on the Battly Hymn of The Republic didnt exactly disappoint either.) Unfortounatly, that act wont ever be repeated :(

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    "Guyz we all knowz that teh strokes r like gunna revolutionize teh music scene 4ever dudez lololol!"

...and then a year after Room On Fire everybody is all "liek wtf ru talkin bout lol there isnt no strokes." Thus their third album First Impressions is virtually unnoticed (HAI GUYS HOMOSEXUAL MAKEOUT SCENES WILL MAKE THE MUSIC VIDEO REAL POPULAR!), save for those who were into the band since they broke out in 2000-2001. I mean they're a decent band and there is some good modern/alt/whatever the hell you call it rock on the thrid album, but these guys were WAY overhyped as the second coming of Jesus for alt-rock before their first album was released.

I guess thats my two cents of what I know about alternative rock. Honestly Im too busy going back to old RHCP, JA, and rock from the grunge era and (mid/late) 80's, to really give a darn about all them newfangled bands like Artic Polar Monkeys and red white blue stripes and what have you.

CptKemzik on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    If there is one band that you dont get to bust on, its the White Stripes, they are fantastic, take your criticism back.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Goumindong wrote:
    If there is one band that you dont get to bust on, its the White Stripes, they are fantastic, take your criticism back.

Jack White is really the only thing I like about the White Stripes. His ex-girfriend/fake sister/best friend 4ever LOL Meg just makes my ears hurt whenever she does what she considers "playing" on the drum set.

CptKemzik on
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Starlight, from the new Muse CD, is incredibly catchy and awesome to listen to. I like the album overall, although I haven't really listened to it enough to really review it yet.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • The Nameless OneThe Nameless One Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Goumindong wrote:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

<pant wheeze cough>

HAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Awesome...big fan of your work, Goum.

The Nameless One on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    thread needs more

wedding-cake-1.jpg

Kusuguttai on
  • The Nameless OneThe Nameless One Registered User regular
    edited July 2006

And this is why I love you, Mr Johnson.

PS...they're a bad Zep rip-off.

The Nameless One on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    thread needs more

wedding-cake-1.jpg

Shit, he´s absolutely right!
    I <3 me some Cake.

Haphazard on
  • Lord Cecil EaglelaserLord Cecil Eaglelaser Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I've been listening to a lot of Elliott Smith for the most part the past few days. I always feel as if I have to balance it out with Dragonforce or Prince or something at the end of the day.

Lord Cecil Eaglelaser on
    edited July 2006
    I have a strict rule that I tell every female who honestly has my respect -- NEVER date an Elliot Smith fan.

Fewer things have been more true in life in my experience.

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    I have a strict rule that I tell every female who honestly has my respect -- NEVER date an Elliot Smith fan.

For a brief period online I knew a female Elliot Smith fan.

Good God, she was a train wreck.

Gim on
    edited July 2006
    Gim wrote:
    celery77 wrote:

Good God.
    Oh damn ...

I'm dying laughing over here ...

Oh man ...

I would punch a female Elliot Smith fan pre-emptively if I ever met her in person.

Jeez ...

Still laughing ...

edit: sorry to be a total jerk, but I mean come on -- we're talking about Elliot Smith here. One of my best friends totally loves him for the record, but also for the record I would tell any and every female not to date the guy.

It's okay music, but serious fans are T-R-O-U-B-L-E.

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Gim wrote:
    celery77 wrote:

Good God.
    Oh damn ...

I'm dying laughing over here ...

Oh man ...

I would punch a female Elliot Smith fan pre-emptively if I ever met her in person.

Jeez ...

Still laughing ...

edit: sorry to be a total jerk, but I mean come on -- we're talking about Elliot Smith here. One of my best friends totally loves him for the record, but also for the record I would tell any and every female not to date the guy.

It's okay music, but serious fans are T-R-O-U-B-L-E.

The same thing applies for Bright Eyes. Stay away from serious fans of Bright Eyes.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    CptKemzik wrote:
    old RHCP
    Hell yeah. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this, but I was basically raised by Californication, and as such I love the Chili Peppers. I recently got their older albums and I think they're awesome. Mother's Milk and Freaky Styley are probably my favorites. I love their covers of "If You Want Me to Stay" and "Higher Ground."

YosemiteSam on
  • MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Thread still going?

Check out the Secret Machines, imho...the most impressive bands are trios. They sound like a modern pink floyd+led zeppelin. The drums are very john bonham, and the guitar/bass/voice is very Pink floyd. They were kick ass live.

Lostprophets are another great band. 5 guys from liverpool - good stuff. Their first CD is a little more punk, and their latest releases have been "maintreamish" , but they are one of the only real rock bands that isn't trying to make hits for the record companies but can still make good music.

A Fire Inside has been playing a lot in my truck lately. They are definetly an aquired taste though, the vocals usually turn most people off. After seeing them live, and giving them a chance, i'm now a huge fan. They lyrics really are poetry to music, which i think is hardcore. Diversity is the best trait in a band, and they definetly mix it up.

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
    edited July 2006
    If anyone wants to hear a great instrumental band check out Russian Circles (mp3 at bottom of the link). Saw them live last night and they really surprised me. I'd already spent too much on merch but I had to pick up their only CD.

Porphyria Plan on