As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Darkness 2: Twice as many wieldings as Halo 2.

1235»

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    Oddly enough, unless I'm being a silly goose of epic proportions, the only level select is from the New Game+ Menu. Also, be sure to pick up relics. Not only are the worth a shit ton of XP, but they also all have really, really cool backstories about the Darkness and the Angelus.

Thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to know. When I can afford it, I'm grabbing this game.

I found the two relics in the demo. The background info was great. The one thing I am wondering, though, is who they're narrated by. I'm thinking its the darkling?

We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    An occultist named Johnny Powell. You'll run into him later in the game.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    So this game took me 4.8 hours to beat. For Reference MW 3 was 6.5 hours.
    Whilst this game had some cool bits there is no way you could call it value for money.
    Wait for the 75% off Steam sale.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    It's a hell of a game, they did a great job, but I'm with you. It's damn short, and I know I wasn't rushing through. There is a New Game Plus and co-op, but I know no one who bought it (hell, I'm the only person I know who played it!) and I just beat the damn game. I'm not going to playthrough again so soon.

It's a helluva a title for $40 and an absolute steal for $20 or below.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    The vendettas crew has some great banter when you sit in the lobby for a bit.

I AM THE PARAKEET OF ASS KICKING AND WEILDER OF THE CLAP!

• Options
    RaxximusRaxximus Registered User regular
    The first darkness was one of those great 'culty' games you can't help but love. A few flaws in gameplay and a not so perfected motion capture kinda deter you. But it just has that magic of a great story attached to it. t I just finished it last week and loved it.

What did you guys think of Darkness II? It was quite the opposite (in a good way!) of the first

• Options
    I loved it.

I thought it kept the heart, heh, of the original while trimming the fat. I thought the gunplay was well done, I liked how we could choose how to level up the powers this time around, and I liked the cel-shading.

I do miss some of the old powers like the Demon Arm Scout and the Darkness Guns, but I can understand why they were removed, as they are now redundant.

I thought the relics were brilliant and I loved hearing Johnny's narration on them.

• Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    Dude once i got the darkness guns in the first game that was the only weapon i used. It was also the very first upgrade i got in the second game. Now i just need the upgrade that lowers the cooldown on it and extends the duration. Dual uzi spraying without using ammo? Oh hells ya.

• Options
    HuntingNoobHuntingNoob Registered User regular
    Finished it and liked it. It was too short though, took me 6 hours.

• Options
    It's much better paced then the original, trust me.

God I hope they do a third.

• Options
    So got to the pa rt where the aunt dies. WTF? Also wtf did he do to her? It looked like he killed her with scissors. Oh well at least I just split his chest open and ripped out his heart with my bare hands.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    And now the darkness killed my darkling? FUUUUUUUUCK. Dude was the best part of both games.

Edit: Just beat it and I called that ending the moment I heard that weird dude talk about the angelus.

pawa24 on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Just finished this last night. Good game, I really liked how much you could mix up using the arms, guns, and special abilities very fluidly.
    It deserves more love than it's getting, seeing as I had to dig down quite a few pages to find this.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Can this game be finished in under 7 hours?

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Yeah definitely. I probably should have upped my difficulty a bit because I kind of steamrolled through it on the default setting.
    Single player is pretty short and sweet, so might not be worth full price to some. A good rental for sure.
    Havent dabbled in the multiplayer yet.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Did anyone else start grinning like a madmen when
    You shoot out the tires of the onrushing car and Jackie flips off the driver as it flies over you?

Because that is the moment I have taken away from the game as it's stand out fuck yeah moment

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    BigDes wrote: »
    Did anyone else start grinning like a madmen when
    You shoot out the tires of the onrushing car and Jackie flips off the driver as it flies over you?

Because that is the moment I have taken away from the game as it's stand out fuck yeah moment

That was pretty awesome.

Confronting all the named characters after rushing through their goons was always great too, just because of the ridiculous ways the Darkness had for taking them out.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Just bought and finished this in a night. Clocked barely 6 hours. Worth every penny per minute. Mind, I only paid $30.

The only complaints I have is with the animations. There is something funky going on. Since it's pretty obvious your darkness tentacles aren't considered physical objects in the game, they clip and go through everything in a weird way. I've torn guys in half, while their buddy is RIGHT ON TOP OF ME trying to hit me. It looks like the guy up front is a giant and the guy caught in my tentacles in a miniature. Really annoying and weird, and it happens because they didn't set the tentacles and it's animations as physically happening, they're just projected animations imposed on the screen. Look great until someone gets inside of the animation. Really, really, really bugged me.

Also that the Abdul Darkling has no unique voice, so it's just a skin with nothing else to it. Not that it matters, since Hooligan is awesome.

Been tracking through Vendetta, which looks like it'll add a couple more hours. It's pretty much as fun as the main campaign. Just like the main story, the characters are very enjoyable.

Which I think is the strongest aspect of this game, actually. I just loved the characters. They did just enough to get me attached to the characters, and then collapsed the world around me.

Really good game, most everything was solid. I sincerely hope there is a third one on the way.
    I will say that the sequel-bait ending rubbed me the wrong way. It really should have ended on Jackie letting go of Jenny, fade to white. Then in The Darkness 3, all they have to do is another "Previously On", opening with that moment and there. There you go. The Darkness II has an actual ending, and The Darkness 3 can still happen.

It's not about happy-ending or anything. I mean, Jackie is still trapped in Hell. It's just that it allows an actual ENDING, if the next game doesn't happen. I miss endings.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    It's a damn fine game I really hope get's a sequel. Or at least a major expansion.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Just finished it.

Fuuuuuuuuck this was a good game.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So I was bored yesterday. I had that problem we all get from time to time, own a billion games, but "There's nothing to play..." Anyway, I was picking up some meds at Walgreens, and decided to try out this Redbox everyone's always on about. Picked up The Darkness II

OMG!

Somebody please tell me this sold well, like... really well. I need for there to be a third game. I played the first game, and thought it was pretty good. I found the tragedy of Jenny and Jackie to be very interesting. II upped that interest, and the scene after the credits shot it to the moon. Not to mention the game is a blast and a half to play. Plus the Vendettas campaign/Hit list stuff are actually worth playing. Alot of care and polish went into making this game, I really hope it sold well and that The Darkness III gets made. Also, Mike Patton is incredible.

/gush session

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I wasn't sure where they'd go after the first game with Jenny as a love interest. Somehow they managed to reel me right back in.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah I played/beat this on opening night. Like everyone says it's a really great game, and it boasts an 80+ rating on Metacritic on every system. It's totally a steal on discount, but the length of the campaign is really the shortest I've played in years. A huge tease for other games to come out of the franchise.

I think it was kind of like, "Hey guys, yeah we still own this IP. Yeah, it's awesome. Well, see ya later."
    Plus they literally CAN NOT end with that ending.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Well there was a lot more to it than just the main campaign. The multiplayer bits tied in really well to the story, linking key sections together and those characters were awesome.

• Options
    Under normal circumstances, I'd be a little disappointed in such a short campaign. But since this is a Redbox rental I was pleased I could beat it in one afternoon :lol:

I was just going to keep it, but apparently they'd charge me the full $60. I'll just return it and pick up my own copy from Amazon or something so I can listen to more Mike Pattony goodness

PUNISH THEM JAAAAAACKIEEE

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    So... I held a man upside down by his legs and ripped his asshole inside out. It was called Assecution. Half my brain is telling me that was awesome, and the other half is saying "Ew..."

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    So... I held a man upside down by his legs and ripped his asshole inside out. It was called Assecution. Half my brain is telling me that was awesome, and the other half is saying "Ew..."

Ok, this post just sold me on getting this game. Will acquire when I get home on Friday.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Ok, this post just sold me on getting this game. Will acquire when I get home on Friday.

You're going to want to go through the execution skill tree. they happen randomly it seems, and once you start getting the ammo, health and demon shield executions you start to get more varied animations. The particular one that netted me the butt windsock was the demon shield.

One thing I don't really dig too much in this game is that they took the best power from the first game, Black Hole, and turned it into a powerup you get from like... 1 in 50 corpses =/

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    butt windsock

I'm gonna be laughing all day because of this. Thank you sir.
    One thing I don't really dig too much in this game is that they took the best power from the first game, Black Hole, and turned it into a powerup you get from like... 1 in 50 corpses =/
    Eh, Blackhole was a liitle too good though.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Black hole is much more common when you've thrown points into it.

• Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    It was a great idea to allow New Game + in this, because it was really fun to play through again with all of the abilities right from the start.