As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Simcity] Where discussion of water pollution and power grids is normal.

JimpyJimpy Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
SIMCITY 5

CGI trailer but a trailer none the less. Looks pretty good so far!

Thread Music
Press release on Forbes.com
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/03/06/simcity-5-confirmed-maxis-taking-social-and-environmental-bent-to-classic-franchise/

A few excerpts from the Forbes article:
The game will be worlds different from the Simcity 4. Maxis Senior VP Lucy Bradshaw wants to make one thing absolutely clear. “We are adding curvy roads,” she says. “That’s really important.”

There are other changes coming as well. For the first time in the Simcity franchise, the world will no longer be confined to the borders of your own individual city.

Online and social elements where if you put a lot of polluting power plants near your borders, your friends might start to get some smoke rolling into their suburbs. You might even start to contribute to global CO2 levels.

Curvy roads and social elements... finally. And global warming. Al Gore will be proud. But where the hell are the llamas?

Concept Art
S3EHa.jpg
wKjpg.jpg
tkfqu.jpg
0pkTx.jpg
4PTWr.jpg
0e7Fz.png
Police%20Station.jpg
ConstructibleWorlds.png

Videos

News Articles and Stuff
Info on multilayer found by Lucky Cinic on SimCity.com
Multiplayer
Work together with friends to build a region for the first time! The cities in your friends’ region will directly interact with each other.

Want to be a good neighbor? Send fire trucks to help your friend in an emergency.

Want to be a bad neighbor? Produce mass pollution and watch your friends’ Sims become sick.

Team up to share resources and accomplish great feats like launching shuttles into space.

Participate in global challenges like lowering the total pollution output in the SimCity world to unlock a trophy to place in your city.

Check regional and global leaderboards to compare your city with your friends.

Every decision in your city and those in your friends’ cities will impact the greater SimCity world.

Potential DLC Stuff/Deluxe Edition vs Limited Edition
VOhXs.png

Simcity Designed to Support Mods ~ Shack News
http://www.shacknews.com/article/72768/simcity-designed-to-support-mods?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#

Back From Simulation City: Inside Maxis' Glass Box ~ Rock, Paper, Shotgun
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/08/back-from-simulation-city-inside-maxis-glass-box/

Jimpy on

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Well, huh, look at that. And here I thought EA had completely forgotten about the parts of the Sim- franchise that weren't The Sims. Put me in the "tepidly intrigued" camp.

Any bets on when they'll announce that they'll sell individual buildings or disasters as day-1 DLC?

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm in.

Also I MUST KNOW MOOOOOOORE!!!

Will there be Lamas? And Arcologies? WIll Sim Copter be reporting heavy traffic?

WHAT OF THE MONSTER?!!?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • JimpyJimpy Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Well, huh, look at that. And here I thought EA had completely forgotten about the parts of the Sim- franchise that weren't The Sims. Put me in the "tepidly intrigued" camp.

Any bets on when they'll announce that they'll sell individual buildings or disasters as day-1 DLC?

Thought about that already. I can't imagine they won't after what has become of The Sims but who knows.

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Holy shit this looks exciting. I've been with Sim City since Sim City 3000 and it was a blast back then and still is a blast with SC4. We don't talk about Societies though. That never happened.

Still, I hope we get some actual in engine shots soon. An HD Sim City game would be most excellent.

Oh, and there is a brand new SimCity.com with plenty more info, including this little gem:
    Multiplayer
    Work together with friends to build a region for the first time! The cities in your friends’ region will directly interact with each other.

Want to be a good neighbor? Send fire trucks to help your friend in an emergency.

Want to be a bad neighbor? Produce mass pollution and watch your friends’ Sims become sick.

Team up to share resources and accomplish great feats like launching shuttles into space.

Participate in global challenges like lowering the total pollution output in the SimCity world to unlock a trophy to place in your city.

Check regional and global leaderboards to compare your city with your friends.

Every decision in your city and those in your friends’ cities will impact the greater SimCity world.

Lucky Cynic on
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Sounds like a lean on CitiesXL. The original was supposed to be all multiplayer and stuff, I understand that part didn't do well.

I'm definetly intrigued. I love a good builder game. Anno 2070 is filling that gap currently (thanks to a gifting friend).

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    it's lives!!!

That sounds pretty awesome Lucky. I wonder if the part where the two cities meet on the bridge means your citizens will go to war with the other?

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    My favorite part of the trailer is how many of the people in the hi-tech future town ride Segways.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Here's what the PC specs are on Origin's website,

System Requirements
    Processor:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better

Operating System:
    Windows XP/Vista/7

RAM:
    Windows XP: 1.5GB
    Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB
    PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB RAM

Graphics Card:
    ATI X1800 or better*
    nVidia 7800 or better*
    Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*

DVD-ROM:
    8x or better

*Minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 or better support.

How does my ATi Radeon HD 5670 512MB stack up to the X1800? I'm not really up on my Graphics Card lingo.

As I said in the Video Game Industry thread, I will definitely be buying a copy of Windows 7 and be Boot Camping that shit JUST for this one game.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    You can run it.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    But will I be able to run it well at 2560x1440 is what is yet to be seen.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I hope you guys know that we're going to start our own region together, right?

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    OH ARE WE, HENROID? ARE WE???

JtgVX0H.png
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Malkor wrote: »
    I'm in.

Also I MUST KNOW MOOOOOOORE!!!

Will there be Lamas? And Arcologies? WIll Sim Copter be reporting heavy traffic?

WHAT OF THE MONSTER?!!?
    Will we regret cutting back on transit funding?

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    OH ARE WE, HENROID? ARE WE???

Yes we are, Darmak. We can be neighbors. I'll keep my pollutants away from our border even! Except the nuclear power plant.

*hisses*

JtgVX0H.png
    Just don't get mad at me when that shared power goes out in a meltdown!

I think we should make two regions. One a fucked coal powered, crime ridden world and the other, a genuine attempt at making as pleasing and peaceful world as possible.

I think we should make two regions. One a fucked coal powered, crime ridden world and the other, a genuine attempt at making as pleasing and peaceful world as possible.

They would probably both be the the opposite of what we tried

Exactly.

Dox the PI wrote: »

They would probably both be the the opposite of what we tried

Mostly because I would be the comic foil.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Hopefully they'll take a few notes from the rather many things CitiesXL unfortunately seemed to do wrong. But yes, this is very much long overdue.

I could have sworn that SC4 modeled pollution spreading to neighboring cities, but glad to see that sort of thing'll be taken further.

In addition, I hope they include more buildings for government ministries to simulate the capital of a "SimNation"--Foreign Ministry, Defense Ministry, Interior Ministry, Education Ministry--both for jobs and for local effects.

• CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    tumblr_l9s0oylfm21qz4w1go1_400.png

Had to steal from the Vox games comments.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
    I heard about this a week ago at Simtroplis--given some of the goddamn amazing building mods that came up at that website, I hope the community is still strong enough to jump into this when it comes out.

SC4 did have region play and chemistry going on. If you had a bustling industrial city, other cities nearby would get a silent bonus to residential and commercial growth. Pollution did carry over though, so you couldn't just put a powerplant in the very corner of the map because the next city over may be doing much better and well, wouldn't like that very much.

SC4 did have region play and chemistry going on. If you had a bustling industrial city, other cities nearby would get a silent bonus to residential and commercial growth. Pollution did carry over though, so you couldn't just put a powerplant in the very corner of the map because the next city over may be doing much better and well, wouldn't like that very much.

No, in SC4 pollution didn't carry over.

Yeah, you could also implement the whole "bedroom community" concept finally--though it was tough to get working on the large scale (like everything else, I guess) because of transit issues.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Man, I hope they simplify some things. Mainly, traffic.

Also, I am so in. EA, you can have my monies. This time.

I wonder if I can replicate my 1,000,000 people that I did once in SC2K. You can count me in for a PA region.

I actually haven't played a Sim City game since Sim City on the SNES. Is 4 a good game or should I pick up one of the older ones?

JtgVX0H.png
    I actually haven't played a Sim City game since Sim City on the SNES. Is 4 a good game or should I pick up one of the older ones?

4 is the best since Sim City 2000 and possibly the best ever.

4 is most certainly an awesome game and you should make sure to pick it up with the expansion, Rush Hour. It really isn't complete unless you get Rush Hour.

Something about part 3 was really annoying. But yeah, 4 measures up to 2000 very damn well.

Steam has SC4 Deluxe, which includes Rush Hour. There's also some great mods out there, and lots of regions based on real world locales that people have done up. Some are huge, though, so can take a while to import. :P

There's a San Francisco Bay Area region that's, uh yeah. Huge to import.

edited March 2012
    re installing SC4 at this moment
    There goes my free time

edit: holy shit I've owned this game for 9 years

Dox the PI on
    Here's a handy link for the people jumping back in to SC4: SC4 Widescreen Wiki

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I'll be really mad if this game is not on Steam, but this would be about the only game I'd buy on Origin.

steam_sig.png
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'll be really mad if this game is not on Steam, but this would be about the only game I'd buy on Origin.

I will eat a cock if it's on Steam, or if it doesn't require Origin installed.

...:(

Suriko on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    This just looks so bad. It's as if they didn't learn anything from Sim City Societies...

...and I was about to say Spore, but I guess Spore sold well?

I guess there's much more money in appealing to the masses who buy The Sims instead of the old fans of the series.

I'm basing my bashing of the game on the graphical style which is not at all realistic like previous games tried to be (with exceptions like the hyperstructures and monsters from Sim City 2000, etc), but rather very worryingly stylized in a way which makes the entire world feel like a cartoon. That makes is quite difficult for me to think that there will be any strategic depth and challenge to this game, but rather a shallow "build pretty things" game, which I think Cities XL already does better. And if it does have depth and micro management, the graphics feel out of place... but perhaps it will have a Theme Hospital like charm, so who knows?

Either way, it's EA and Origin and after Spore, I'm not inclined to buy anything else from them...

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
This discussion has been closed.