As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] Cookie Brigade EAST 2012 - Bake Cookies, help Child's Play!

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    ransim wrote: »
    Finances are so bad right now that I can't attend the con any more, and so by way of that I can't bring any cookies. I'm more worried about where I'm going to live than I am baking. Really sorry. :(

Oh jeez, yeah worry about getting life handled first. We'll miss you though! If its not to crazy maybe one of us can put together a PAX care package for you.
    Kiashien wrote: »
    I will murder an orphanage and donate the entire looting funds for root beer space invader candies.

...Or just donate some monies, if you don't want the murder.

>_>

<_<

No orphanage murder!

And here I was worried they wouldn't be in demand. I'll be making the first batch this weekend and having my lovely assistant and boyfriend Robziel try them out since he likes Rootbeer flavored stuff (I was born with the communist gene apparently so I don't like rootbeer). There will be some at least, but they may be rather limited edition. I'll be posting whenever I go out distributing on twitter (@Ransim) and I always bring the candy with me.

I'll be in BYOC on and off, and am registered with the cookie brigade, so I'll find you, somehow, and demand space invader rootbeer candies. And possibly barter a forum coin in trade. Or donate. Or something. One way or another.. I MUST have these :)

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    FYI.. fun fact. Root beer exists because settlers in new england wanted to brew beer.. but had none of the ingredients. So they invented something with a good head that was kinda sorta like beer and fermented it. That's right- real root beer kicks butt and tastes awesome and has alcohol in it.

Root beer is therefore reasonably popular in new england because we used to get it off tap with a head, much less sweetness, and a normal beer alcohol content some 80 years ago.

So.. yea. Root beer. Do it!

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Finances are so bad right now that I can't attend the con any more, and so by way of that I can't bring any cookies. I'm more worried about where I'm going to live than I am baking. Really sorry. :(

That really, really sucks. :( Hope everything works out for you.

Ln5yLL7.png
  • sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    YOjlK.jpg

I have begun making candy! Three batches done, three flavors and three hundred candies!

So far I've done, strawberry, orange and blue raspberry. Still need to do grape, lemon, pina colada and I might do a special run of root beer candies.

snnGr.jpg

i will so trade you cookies for some ,or i may just have to give me own donation :P

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    Everything sounds amazing. Those space invader candy pictures definitely brighten up my morning though :D

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    Those alien candies are putting my gingersnaps to shame!!!! Haha, I'll definitely be nom-nomming one of those!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    Here is what the candy's look like finished. I learned a bit of a lesson last year about color and hard candy, unfortunately for some of the colors I still have not managed to perfect a method to keep them true. Pretty much any color that involves blue ends up looking terrible, the blue breaks down badly in the heat, so blue looks like green and purple looks like a dark maroon.

They get coated in powdered sugar and a little bit of citric acid to keep them from sticking together.

Top Row Left to Right: Grape, Strawberry, Orange
    Bottom Row Left to Right: Blue Raspberry, Pina Colada and Lemon
    T0phil.jpg

So six batches done, this will make about 96 bags (six pieces per bag, one of each flavor). I'll maybe try to do one more batch of each before PAX East to double that number and I'll do at least one batch of the root beer, probably 3 per bag for those so 32 bags.

Definitely not going to make as much as I did last year, there was so much left over I ended up taking some home even after leaving a ton for the enforcers.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Here is what the candy's look like finished.

those look great! I wasn't sure if they were soft or hard sucking-candies. Can't wait to track you down and drop some cash for my crew when I'm not off selling mine.

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    So after slaving over costumes for a while, I took a break to start cookie prep. So far - cookie cutter has been made. Everything else still up in the air. Gotta hit the BJs and buy all the supplies so I'm ready to bake like crazy in a few weeks :)

Excited to see what everyone will have!

Hey everyone, we've posted something important on the Cookie Brigade site and sent out some emails to everyone, if you didn't get the email please log in at cookie-brigade.com and check out this link:

http://bit.ly/z3b3Ab

Thanks!

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    The Brigadiering is almost upon us! Thank you, all of you awesome bakers - many of whom have already started your efforts!

Remember, we need both Bakers (the creators of cookies) and Distributors (those who hand out cookies to the people) to make this possible! If you're interested in doing either of those things, please sign up today!

As a long time distributor, I can assure you that there's few things that compare to distributing at PAX: you meet so many wonderful and generous fellow gamers, and you witness truly interesting situations! It's really an experience not to be missed, and we would greatly appreciate your help!

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    Yes as VT said we can always use distributors and its a ton of fun! You do get to meet awesome people and its a great way to just get around the convention. As someone who has a bit of a social phobia it was a challenge the first time but definitely don't regret it and I'm looking forward to distributing again this year.

• MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    ishtra wrote: »
    So after slaving over costumes for a while, I took a break to start cookie prep. So far - cookie cutter has been made. Everything else still up in the air.

What did you use to make your cookie-cutter? What fun shapes are you doing!?

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
    MASeffect wrote: »
    What did you use to make your cookie-cutter? What fun shapes are you doing!?
    I use crafting brass - thin strips of brass about 2-3mm by 2cm by 20+ cm ... a little stiff but workable. soo much better than my first run where I just cut around a pattern.

I made hexes of various sizes. Have to finish costumes first, since too early to start the cookies anyway.

• TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    I signed up last night after realizing that I have a stupid easy peanut butter cookie recipe and might have enough time to bake at least SOME for you guys!

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    I will have the Oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies back in full force!
    DSC07005.jpg
    On the left, birthday cake-flavored Oreos. On the right, inverted Oreos in inverted chocolate chip cookies (chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips). I also have ones using candy cane Oreos, peanut butter Oreos, mint Oreos, and even a few with berry Oreos. I already have ~400 baked and plan on at least 100 more.

HI3789R.png
    Those look tasty, I missed out on them last year I might have to try and snag one this year.

• LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    Punzie those look delicious!

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
    @punzie - So awesome! can't wait to snag some. I need to make myself a cookie-brigade check list for all the fun stuff people are making :)

• crimsong19crimsong19 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Haven't been entirely active on the CB or PAX forums as of late because of classes and all (final semester), but I sent the survey in. I'm definitely up for baking and distributing (but only on Friday and Saturday because those are the days I managed to get passes for, long story). I'm not sure about cookie type or quantity, but I put down chocolate chip, triple chocolate chip, chocolate chip meringue, fudge, and cake batter fudge on the survey, so ... maybe a batch or so of each should be good! XD

PAX East status: Hotel [X] Three-day passes [] Two one-day passes [X] Cookie recipes [X] Transportation [X]
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    Over the last week, I have been trying to eat everything out of my freezer so it will be totally empty next week when I start baking my katamari cakeballs. I have defrosted 2 lbs of ground beef and made chili, eaten some seriously gross microwavable meals (what crack was I smoking when I bought those?), and had peas and corn with almost every meal. Child's Play - this is my level of dedication to you. You're welcome. :P :)

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
    crimsong19 wrote: »
    Haven't been entirely active on the CB or PAX forums as of late because of classes and all (final semester), but I sent the survey in. I'm definitely up for baking and distributing (but only on Friday and Saturday because those are the days I managed to get passes for, long story). I'm not sure about cookie type or quantity, but I put down chocolate chip, triple chocolate chip, chocolate chip meringue, fudge, and cake batter fudge on the survey, so ... maybe a batch or so of each should be good! XD

I am hoping to have an email out to everyone from the survey who identified they wished to distribute soon with necessary information. I'm in the process now of trying to organize that data.

As far as quantity got for whatever you're comfortable making/carrying with you to PAX.

I am hoping to have an email out to everyone from the survey who identified they wished to distribute soon with necessary information. I'm in the process now of trying to organize that data. As far as quantity got for whatever you're comfortable making/carrying with you to PAX.

Can't wait to get it :D Starting to bake this coming week! Frostings already tested out.

ishtra wrote: »
    I am hoping to have an email out to everyone from the survey who identified they wished to distribute soon with necessary information. I'm in the process now of trying to organize that data. As far as quantity got for whatever you're comfortable making/carrying with you to PAX.

Can't wait to get it :D Starting to bake this coming week! Frostings already tested out.

I've been giving myself diabeetus through osmosis making candy. I have a couple more batches to do and still need to make the root beer ones. Its been a crazy couple weeks around my house.

• jabrazellejabrazelle Registered User regular
    I forgot to sign up till just now, but the wife and I should be hauling over a ton of chocolate chip cookies again this year.

jabrazelle wrote: »
    I forgot to sign up till just now, but the wife and I should be hauling over a ton of chocolate chip cookies again this year.

Now worries glad to have you guys back on board! Are you registered on the brigade website already?

I've been giving myself diabeetus through osmosis making candy. I have a couple more batches to do and still need to make the root beer ones. Its been a crazy couple weeks around my house.

So true! Every time I open the powdered sugar for the frosting, I inhale a hearty amount accidentally. Starting the batter-making Sunday/Monday, baking hopefully Monday/Tuesday and beyond. Then frosting the cookies Thursday/Friday/Weekend until everything is done :D

• sofreshsodarrylsofreshsodarryl East 2011 Omeganaut Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    Wow all of these goodies seem delicious!!! Will there be any sugar-free cookies or candies available?

Wow all of these goodies seem delicious!!! Will there be any sugar-free cookies or candies available?

We usually have people that make sugar free and gluten free cookies. So always ask the distributor.

I've tried to make sugar free candy but I didn't have much luck last year with splenda and sugar free syrup, it apparently has a weird boiling point and getting it hot enough is a pain.

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    So I am a big ball of phail this year, and I haven't had time to make my cookies or my costume, so I am scaling back and sticking with liaison/logistics work this year. Just let me know what I need to do and help with!

• blackbirdblackbird Registered User regular
    uArI8.jpg
    First attempt at Triforce sugar cookies! Right now they're in "testing phase" to get the recipe just right and to see how sturdy they are. Hopefully, they don't all break in transit... If it turns out they're too fragile, I have a backup plan!

edited March 2012
    Edit: Apparently it ate part of my reply >_>
    So I am a big ball of phail this year, and I haven't had time to make my cookies or my costume, so I am scaling back and sticking with liaison/logistics work this year. Just let me know what I need to do and help with!

If you are registered on the brigade site there is a thread for liaison sign up, we can always use more people.

blackbird wrote: »
    uArI8.jpg
    First attempt at Triforce sugar cookies! Right now they're in "testing phase" to get the recipe just right and to see how sturdy they are. Hopefully, they don't all break in transit... If it turns out they're too fragile, I have a backup plan!

Those are awesome!

ransim on
  • robokunrobokun Registered User new member
    uArI8.jpg

All they need is yellow frosting :D

• ErickaJoErickaJo MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Katamari cake balls? Can I use them to roll up ALL the cookies?

I just made some cake batter rice crispy treats. I'm pretty happy with them. They will be amongst my offerings this year.

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    Oh! Those triforce cookies look fantastic! =) I hope they do hold up, because people will love them! If not, don't leave them at home: we may be able to get some distributors to carefully haul them about ;) (they wouldn't survive a trip in my Cookie Bandolier most likely... but perhaps in someone's padded messenger bag?)

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • blackbirdblackbird Registered User regular
    robokun wrote: »
    If only! If only. I might grab some yellow food coloring and see if I can make the cookies a nice golden color.

Oh! Those triforce cookies look fantastic! =) I hope they do hold up, because people will love them! If not, don't leave them at home: we may be able to get some distributors to carefully haul them about ;) (they wouldn't survive a trip in my Cookie Bandolier most likely... but perhaps in someone's padded messenger bag?)
    I have some bubble wrap, I'm just afraid that the baggage handlers will literally throw my box that's going to say "FRAGILE" all over it. If nothing else, people will at least get to piece together their own triforce! I think I'll be able to stiffen up the recipe a little and get it so no one should have to worry about breaking them, though.

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    If only! If only. I might grab some yellow food coloring and see if I can make the cookies a nice golden color.

I have some bubble wrap, I'm just afraid that the baggage handlers will literally throw my box that's going to say "FRAGILE" all over it. If nothing else, people will at least get to piece together their own triforce! I think I'll be able to stiffen up the recipe a little and get it so no one should have to worry about breaking them, though.

There was a pretty good study a year or so ago that indicated that packages marked 'Fragile' were routinely subjected to higher forces than packages not marked as such. I suggest that, in order to keep them safe, you eat all of them. That way they will never be broken during transport.

7B14287.png
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Those look frickin AMAZING!

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular

oh I so need to snag some of these for the boyfriend!

fss_overall.png
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular

I've read that your best bet for getting baggage through a trip with the least damage is to use luggage with wheels. When they load the plane, one person tosses the bags from the entry point to the end of the cargo area to be stacked by another person. If your bag has wheels, they'll push it so it rolls to the other person. Ta-da. Less damage. That's what I've heard, at least. YMMV

HI3789R.png