As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    moocow wrote:
    Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I cut my weightlifting back to 2 days a week, with bodyweight shenanigans instead of the day of lifting that I cut out. I run 3 days a week and do the elliptical on the days I lift, and there's room for 2 days totally free of any activity in there too. I think I'm in the 60s on all 3, but I haven't actually tested push-ups and sit-ups for maxes, so the only solid number I have is my run.

Since I don't ship for 6 months, maybe I can push myself to 100s in all three by then. :D

Just don't injure yourself. Seriously. That will do so much more harm than not having 100s.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    moocow wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I cut my weightlifting back to 2 days a week, with bodyweight shenanigans instead of the day of lifting that I cut out. I run 3 days a week and do the elliptical on the days I lift, and there's room for 2 days totally free of any activity in there too. I think I'm in the 60s on all 3, but I haven't actually tested push-ups and sit-ups for maxes, so the only solid number I have is my run.

Since I don't ship for 6 months, maybe I can push myself to 100s in all three by then. :D

That's quite a bit of cardio. Like Veritas said: be careful. There would be nothing worse than preventing yourself from shipping out on time due to an injury.

I'd recommend that you replace some of that running with road marches so you can get used to carrying weight on your back. Not sure what road marches are like outside of Benning, but you'll probably want to be capable of carrying about 60-70 lbs or more while marching at a ~20min/mile pace.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Oh my god. Does anyone know when the TSP Roth is coming out?! It says "soon". HOW SOON?

Inquiring minds require this information (aka I shouldn't be this excited but I am.)

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Going to Kessler AFB for tech school as a Cyber when I graduate with my Computer Engineering degree. Just waiting on that EAD date. Some of my friends have to pack up and leave two days after they graduate, others...December. :(

*holds breath*

I have never worn glasses, and I've never seen an optomotrist, but I know I will need glasses eventually. Cyber is a non-rated position. I'm too broke to see an optomotrist as well, but how does a new butter bars go seeing an optometrist to get eyeglasses? Someday I would like LASIK, but that's years from now.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular

Taranis wrote:
    Handgimp wrote:
    Handgimp wrote:
    I'm always willing to discuss the navy, submarines, nuclear power or spook shit with people; active duty e6 submarine electrician here.

Approximately how many submariners are there in the Navy?

Hmm right now we have like 70 boats commissioned with ~130 crew per, but SSBN/SSGN have two crews so ballpark it at ~11,500 currently attached to boats. As far as submarine-designated personnel on shore duty that's a WAG, but I'd say ~2/3 so my made-up number for active duty submariners would be about 20,000.

Sweet. So you know Green then, right? E5 type.

(I love when people ask me stupid shit like that.)

While it is a pretty stupid question, I actually met a girl a few years back in Panama City who asked me if I knew someone that turned out to be a guy from my company in Fort Lewis. I was taken by surprise to say the least.

My first year on active duty in DC, I was walking through my building doing something and I get stopped.

Random lady looking at my nametag "I know that name...where are you from?" She was maybe 60
    Me: Uh, just north of Boston ma'am why do you ask?
    Random lady: "I knew a John with your last name who worked in XX unit with me back in Tennessee in 1975."
    Me: Holy crap, my Dad's name is John and he WAS there in 1975.

Turns out it was a lady my dad used to work with in his unit from back in the day. My last name isn't exactly uncommon, either.
    Cantido wrote:
    Going to Kessler AFB for tech school as a Cyber when I graduate with my Computer Engineering degree. Just waiting on that EAD date. Some of my friends have to pack up and leave two days after they graduate, others...December. :(

*holds breath*

I have never worn glasses, and I've never seen an optomotrist, but I know I will need glasses eventually. Cyber is a non-rated position. I'm too broke to see an optomotrist as well, but how does a new butter bars go seeing an optometrist to get eyeglasses? Someday I would like LASIK, but that's years from now.

When you inprocess your base, you'll stop by the medical clinic. Just ask where the optometry folks are at and ask to schedule yourself. Very simple.

• Options
    @Cantido I'm just curious, what is your commissioning source?

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVR wrote:
    @Cantido I'm just curious, what is your commissioning source?

AFROTC. When I get the degree, one day later I'll commission. Right now half my class is holding their breaths, waiting for their EAD date, because depending on your AFSC, you are either needed right away or have to sit around unemployed for a month or six while your job availability opens up. All because of Congress.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    All because of Congress.

This works on so many levels.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Congrats, Cantido! I'm also in AFROTC.

And our detachment just added another 2 CSOs. Junior class now has 7. With 3 pilots. Heard last year the quota for CSOs was 50 people short. Seems rather significant. Handing them out like candy at my detachment now, it seems! Last week the Juniors got their rated slots, so five got CSO. The following week another junior and a senior asked for it and got them! Kind of crazy.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Hahaha, fun stuff: just checked my LES and I still have 55 days of leave on the books. This is after taking two months off while transferring. Granted there was some travel involved but still...

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Handgimp wrote:
    Hahaha, fun stuff: just checked my LES and I still have 55 days of leave on the books. This is after taking two months off while transferring. Granted there was some travel involved but still...

You know those people who are like "yeah I need to take some leave or else I lose it, ya know?"

No. I don't know.

Also, I hate you.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote:

You know those people who are like "yeah I need to take some leave or else I lose it, ya know?"

No. I don't know.

Also, I hate you.

You hate me for not being able to take leave for four years, or for finally getting something close to a good deal?

:p

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Handgimp wrote:
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote:

No. I don't know.

Also, I hate you.

You hate me for not being able to take leave for four years, or for finally getting something close to a good deal?

:p

Touche.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    Cantido wrote:
    All because of Congress.

I won't argue that congress isn't inept, but don't blame them for the air forces inability to properly predict manning levels. When you have certain career fields that are 300% manned while others are at 30% (not an exaggeration) its not congresses fault.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Cantido wrote:
    All because of Congress.

I won't argue that congress isn't inept, but don't blame them for the air forces inability to properly predict manning levels. When you have certain career fields that are 300% manned while others are at 30% (not an exaggeration) its not congresses fault.

Hmm. What about that scare when all my friends on scholarship didn't receive them because the AF had no money? That was frightening for them.

Congress is the new Bush! Find something you don't like, and make a game about blaming it on Congress!

Cantido on
  • Options
    Cantido wrote:
    All because of Congress.

It was more of a joke than anything. I know congress doesn't run the military, they just bitch at the people running at it and threaten to take away their allowance like a bunch of vagrant teenagers.

• Options
    You'd be surprised how much of my work is dictated by Congress. I don't know how or why, but it seems like they can bypass the chain of command and tell us what to do.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Cantido wrote:
    All because of Congress.

Hmm. What about that scare when all my friends on scholarship didn't receive them because the AF had no money? That was frightening for them.

Congress is the new Bush! Find something you don't like, and make a game about blaming it on Congress!

I'll spare everyone the long drawn out version, but if you're on a rotc scholarship and its been awarded already, that money is safe. If someone was claiming otherwise due to not passing the annual budget, I believe they were incorrect. If you're interested I'd be glad to discuss over PM, but it would significantly detail the thread.

• Options
    VeritasVR wrote:
    You'd be surprised how much of my work is dictated by Congress. I don't know how or why, but it seems like they can bypass the chain of command and tell us what to do.

Just like the President can bypass congress and deploy us without an official declaration of war?

It's all semantics with plenty of loopholes, if you want to get into it.

• Options
    VeritasVR wrote:

Just like the President can bypass congress and deploy us without an official declaration of war?

The President is in our chain of command, and we can be deployed without war (humanitarian crisis).

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVR wrote:
    VeritasVR wrote:

The President is in our chain of command, and we can be deployed without war (humanitarian crisis).

It's extremely unlikely we'll ever see another declared war unless we change some of the powers the president currently has. So far as I know, there was no declaration of war on Iraq, and we managed to hang out there for quite some time.

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Instead of going to war, we go to "aid" countries for decades at a time.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    VeritasVR wrote:
    VeritasVR wrote:

Like I said, TECHNICALLY we can be deployed without declaration of war. Because it wasn't a 'war'.

Such is the way of beaurocracy.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    War?

I don't know about you guys, but I went to Iraq for the hearts and stayed for the minds.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Taranis wrote:
    War?

I don't know about you guys, but I went to Iraq for the hearts and stayed for the minds.

Yeah, gotta love the kids who throw rocks at soldiers until they give them candy, when they run out of treats they throw more rocks.

• Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    moocow wrote: »

Good! Now do those 100's in two minutes. Because that's the time allotted for each exercise.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    VeritasVR wrote:
    Handgimp wrote:

No. I don't know.

Also, I hate you.

I'm looking at a possible 105 days of terminal leave, because 75+ is use or lose and my ETS is 4 days before the start of the fiscal year.

Direct your hate!

• Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    Do you have a job lined up and if not when can you legally begin to collect unemployment?

• Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    Hey guys, dropping in after asking my recruitment question elsewhere in the forum.

Currently joining the US Army, hopefully as a 35w (Linguist Recruit) to be transitioned into 35p (Cryptologic Linguist). I had been attempting to commission full-time as an OCS applicant, but within the past few months I was told that idea is a non-starter unless you are a rockstar candidate with 270+ PFT, a master's, tons of work experience, or some combination of all of that. My recruiter asked me to attempt to commission as a reserve officer but that doesn't help me much - after all is said and done I'd still be unemployed in an area with 20% unemployment (and more like 50% unemployment for people my age). So enlistment it is.

While they've told me I could probably drop an OCS packet once enlisted, I'm not banking on that at all, so I'm enlisting into an MOS that plays into my skills and also gives me some worthwhile training, while also helpfully being one of the few that still qualify for enlistment bonuses.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    I've never heard of OCS requirements like that, can't be right. Did you talk to an officer recruiter? I was recently pro-rec'd SNA for the Navy, and that was with a Bachelor's, an alright GPA, and without taking a PFT at all. Having a very high ASTB score helped me, and was certainly the best part of my packet, but the selection rate was fairly high to begin with. Which officer community were you looking at?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Keep in mind, it's entirely likely there just won't be many OTS/OCS slots period. The Army is trying to cut something like 30k soldiers, the AF another 10k. It's kind of insane.

I'll caveat this by saying this is how the Air Force works, and it may differ for other branches.

The AF Academy and ROTC provide a relatively predictable number of commissioned officers every year. The Air Force knows* pretty solidly how many folks and into what career fields they'll send people almost a full year out.

OTS is the way they can fix something if they've jacked up their numbers. Have a lot of kids get out for some reason that year? Big OTS class. Have NOBODY get out that year, no OTS class.

We're "fiscally constrained" sure, but its comparatively cheap to send someone to OTS. It's less about money, at that point and more about the requirement. For example, there was no OTS in 2010 (I think, may have been 2009). I think Veritas was part of the class that got kicked back almost a full year.

*by "knows" I mean "should know". I dont think AFPC's predictions have ever come close to in line with reality.

• Options
    LaemkralLaemkral Captain Punch King Chester, VARegistered User regular
    Okay, those "requirements" are baloney. I've met recent OCS grads who meet maybe one or two of those criteria, and it's probably the PT score.

Drop the packet for OCS, don't give up. Worst that happens is they say no. You can always go to OCS later in your career or get selected for green to gold to complete a bachelors or do a masters.

Hell, the recruiter could just be trying to dissuade you because linguists are hard to get. Also, same with Reserve/Guard. The Army forces people into the National Guard and Reserves because they just don't have people asking for it but slots need to be filled. If you chose to go Reserves, you can pick the branch you'll commissn to simply by finding a unit in need of a lieutenant and asking them to pick you up. You automatically get the branch they need, no competing nationally.

Yes, right now is a tough time to go OCS because ROTC churns out the majority of the force's officers and many programs are the largest they,ve been in years while the force is cutting down size. OCS to support the active force is minimal and you'll have to be competitive to get it, but it can still be done. The only sure fire way to guarantee Active service as an officer is I believe to go through West Point as the only ones who go Reserves through them ask for it (but not sure on that, they may force all west pointers to go active).

Regardless, drop the packet with your recruiter because it can only ever help you to apply for stuff.

Avatar courtesy of MKR, and the strip I appeared in.
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Dropping the OCS packet is definitely a good call. Also know that you probably need to talk to someone different than your recruiter about that. With the Marines, and I'd bet the army works in a similar fashion, the only thing a recruiter has to do with officers is hand you the business card of the Officer Selection Officer (OSO). The OSO handles all OCS applicants.

• Options
    Yes, do not use the enlisted recruiter as anything but a POC to get in touch with someone in charge of officer accession.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    I may just be misinformed about the process, but I've never heard anything about applying to Army OCS except through a recruiter. In any case, I was told the selection boards for OCS are getting hyper-competitive (like only 1 in 12 get recommended) in my area so my 3.4 gpa and 230 PT just wouldn't cut it. Obviously nothing I can do about my GPA now, and of course I can work on my PT - it's just that I'm plum out of time and am tired of being unemployed. I'd rather be getting paid to improve myself in their eyes in the meantime.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    Laemkral wrote: »
    Okay, those "requirements" are baloney. I've met recent OCS grads who meet maybe one or two of those criteria, and it's probably the PT score.

Drop the packet for OCS, don't give up. Worst that happens is they say no. You can always go to OCS later in your career or get selected for green to gold to complete a bachelors or do a masters.

Hell, the recruiter could just be trying to dissuade you because linguists are hard to get. Also, same with Reserve/Guard. The Army forces people into the National Guard and Reserves because they just don't have people asking for it but slots need to be filled. If you chose to go Reserves, you can pick the branch you'll commissn to simply by finding a unit in need of a lieutenant and asking them to pick you up. You automatically get the branch they need, no competing nationally.

Yes, right now is a tough time to go OCS because ROTC churns out the majority of the force's officers and many programs are the largest they,ve been in years while the force is cutting down size. OCS to support the active force is minimal and you'll have to be competitive to get it, but it can still be done. The only sure fire way to guarantee Active service as an officer is I believe to go through West Point as the only ones who go Reserves through them ask for it (but not sure on that, they may force all west pointers to go active).

Regardless, drop the packet with your recruiter because it can only ever help you to apply for stuff.

All good info, but I wanted to add one piece...you were speaking for Army, correct? I believe the Army only selectively commissions Lt's from ROTC -> Active Duty, some go Guard/Reserves.

The Air Force (and I *think* Navy) ROTC programs all go active automatically.

• Options

All good info, but I wanted to add one piece...you were speaking for Army, correct? I believe the Army only selectively commissions Lt's from ROTC -> Active Duty, some go Guard/Reserves.

The Air Force (and I *think* Navy) ROTC programs all go active automatically.

Yes, Army you compete for Active service and your branch. To an extent, you also compete for duty station if you're asking for somewhere nice like Germany, Italy, Hawaii. OCS however is, to my knowledge, straight to Active unless you go through Guard OCS because then it becomes about funding.

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    This system seems entirely too convoluted.

• Options
    Comahawk wrote: »
    This system seems entirely too convoluted.

Sorta, not really. Like Iceman said about the USAF, applies to the Army. They can predict roughly how many people they will gain in new Officers at least two years out based upon attendance at West Point and the number of contracted ROTC cadets. Promotion rate for junior officers is set, and slots available rarely change across the board. Based off that they can figure out how many OCS slots to offer to current and incoming Soldiers. Excess people don't get selected for Active service and enter the Guard or Reserve.

• Options
    Don't believe shit recruiters tell you until you confirm it with people in the service. If he gives you some bullshit requirements ask him to see the reg or policy letter that drives it so you can better understand. If he gives you a bullshit answer to that to, then you're probably smart enough to figure out what it means. If he claims it's FOUO, Classified, some other such nonsense, ask him for the reg regardless, then have someone in this thread check it out on the AKO, Epubs, etc.

I watched two good friends of mine get lied to constantly in their recruiting stage and would've been pushed into jobs they didn't want if they hadn't been keeping me informed of what they were being told.

This discussion has been closed.