As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Greatest American [chat]

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    I got my gf Skyrim for Christmas and now she's back to playing Oblivion. I guess the quest log in Skyrim doesn't give her enough information on what to do or something.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    the iPlay

the ultimate in designer sex toys

are YOU on the beer list?
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Sparvy wrote: »
    I didn't say it was dumb and that you shouldn't watch it.

I'm just saying that watching it isn't very important.

i was too facetious. I regret posting it and editing it now.

never regret

i am basically a regret elemental, from the sub-plane of regret. it's tucked in near the negative energy plane.

this is you (you must have read oglaf before)

You have confused me with my pet.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    hahaha Epic's president said the iPad 3 has better specs than the PS3/xbox 360.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

never regret

i am basically a regret elemental, from the sub-plane of regret. it's tucked in near the negative energy plane.

this is you (you must have read oglaf before)

You have confused me with my pet.

bahahaha

• SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I must've missed it. Was the general consensus that it's dumb and we shouldn't do anything?

I'm not sure what the consensus is but from anything I have seen of the story it goes like this:

Kony is a being of pure evil who ruins the lives of many.
    This information isn't particularly new, he is being hunted by the Ugandan military and has been indicted by the ICC in Hague.
    His death or capture is probably going to happen, these warlords generally aren't very long lived.
    Spamming a video all over the internet has very limited effect in this matter, he doesn't need ad revenue and large scale action from foreign (non-Ugandan) military is unlikely.

Result: This videos only really is going to succeed in making keyboard activist feel good about themselves when he is capture or killed for reasons unrelated to this video.

Of course spreading the information about just how shitty life in central Africa can be is good but this campaign feels disingenuous to me.

Sparvy on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

More RAM and higher resolution, but with both of those at only 512 megs that's not terribly hard.

nibXTE7.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Oh, look I don't think there is any issue with you posting the video or asking people to look at it, except that as others have said, a lot of people have being doing similar all over the place, but thems is the breaks right?

So far as I am concerned the campaign is worthy in that any organised campaign against murdering jerks is worthwhile just for that reason, but that the specific campaign goals may be less worthwhile. It seems that they may be supporting continued or further US (or other countries) military intervention against the LRA in Uganda, Congo or the CAR, which is less of a worthy goal. Will that goal, if achieved outweigh the negatives of intervention? Will the recipients of such aid or support be worthy? Do we want to support Patassé, Kabilia or Museveni further? Really?

edit - also what Sparvy said

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Crafty pigs ...

... cunning ham ... Cunningham!

Hap6.jpg

• mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Huh, this is quite an insightful youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

You should watch that, it's pretty important, i think.

Not really.

He may have missed the earlier discussion on the matter.

Anyway, whether or not it is misplaced, I kind of like it when the World unites to attack nasty murdering jerks, even if just by social media

I must've missed it. Was the general consensus that it's dumb and we shouldn't do anything?

Not at all, but telling a bunch of facebook using teenagers to essentially sign a petition to have a guy in another country arrested doesn't change the fact that it will never work, just like how other countries requesting the arrest of George Bush or Dick Cheney or Kim Jong or any other political leader, admittedly ruthless or not, that the outside world disagrees with.

Normally, i'd agree, but in this case, the movement actually got US military to go to Uganda. Something IS actually happening. It just needs more momentum.

I was under the impression Obama had already sent 100 troops to Uganda well before that campaign started.

He did. But they're in an advisory role, not a 'go find this bastard and shoot him in the face' role.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Right. Have a wedding to attend in two weeks. Need to talk to my doc to see if I can get a prescription for ativan to cover me for that weekend.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    there is supposedly a 40 dollar product coming out today that has not been announced yet from apple.

Curious as to what it will be.

pocketpussy pocketpussy pocketpussy

sigh.

that was my first thought too.

steam_sig.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    You guys want to know what's going on in Africa follow this dude on twitter.

I grew up with and went to high school with him and he's basically devoted his life as far as I know (it's been a few years since we've hung out) to keeping the general public informed up to the minute of what's going on over there.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    mindspork wrote: »

Not really.

Anyway, whether or not it is misplaced, I kind of like it when the World unites to attack nasty murdering jerks, even if just by social media

Not at all, but telling a bunch of facebook using teenagers to essentially sign a petition to have a guy in another country arrested doesn't change the fact that it will never work, just like how other countries requesting the arrest of George Bush or Dick Cheney or Kim Jong or any other political leader, admittedly ruthless or not, that the outside world disagrees with.

Normally, i'd agree, but in this case, the movement actually got US military to go to Uganda. Something IS actually happening. It just needs more momentum.

I was under the impression Obama had already sent 100 troops to Uganda well before that campaign started.

He did. But they're in an advisory role, not a 'go find this bastard and shoot him in the face' role.

Did the video lie? it made it seem like the Invisible Children organization/movement/group of like-minded people got it going.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    man, these layoffs have me feeling anxious right now.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Given that the 360 is seven years old, I would be surprised if it didn't.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

TGhe HD version of that is only $10. It's 2 hours long. I'm downloading it now.

Not really.

Ah, thanks for that

Ah shit on a sandwich...

I should go shovel some snow before it all metls away...

I hate shoveling snow, breaking ice and all that bullshit.

You people who live in the south have it so cushy.

Well, about snow, not about... well, politics or everything else, i guess.

Not really.

Did the video lie? it made it seem like the Invisible Children organization/movement/group of like-minded people got it going.

The original "Invisible Children" video was done in 04? I thought? Obama sent troops last October? So yes the video was made before Obama sent troops. I can't speak to the motivation.

I just saw this all over the facespacebooks this morning. And anything that my first exposure is 25 copies of it tagged with 'share this and we can make a difference' causes my 'crotchety old man sense' to tingle.

the iPlay

Comes in black or white.

:winky:

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Right. Have a wedding to attend in two weeks. Need to talk to my doc to see if I can get a prescription for ativan to cover me for that weekend.
    that shit fucks with my memory. other than that it's aight.

spool32 wrote: »
    the iPlay

Comes in black or white.

:winky:

I think the question at that point is can it be properly miniaturized for the asian market?

:mrgreen:

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Two of you chaps should fill up the last two spots for my flash duel game!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/156745

eh eh eh!

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Ah shit on a sandwich...

I live in Michigan and have not had to shovel once this year.

Psn:wazukki
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    the ipad has never really been a desire of mine. and i am totally gaga for apple products. but they have only ever struck me as cool when fiddling around with a buddy's ( :winky: )

maybe i would like one more if i carried around one of those rolled-up silicon keyboards.

Organichu on
    wazilla wrote: »
    Ah shit on a sandwich...

i am smouldering. You could cook an egg on my face and shake a bucket of paint in each hand. That's how rageful i am right now.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    work was all "how many extra hours do you want?" and I was like "all of them" so now I'm doing a 39 hour week.

To a college student, that amount of money is roughly 45 bottles of vodka

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Ah shit on a sandwich...

i am smouldering. You could cook an egg on my face and shake a bucket of paint in each hand. That's how rageful i am right now.

Wow! That's pretty warm.

Speaking of warm, it's supposed to hit 60 this week!

Psn:wazukki
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Ah shit on a sandwich...

Put a shovel in each hand and you'll be done in no time.

nibXTE7.png
    Still no SD slot on the iPad.

nibXTE7.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Ah shit on a sandwich...

Put a shovel in each hand and you'll be done in no time.

Dual wielding is OP.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »

I'd rather have one that doesn't carry a risk of addiction.

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Still no SD slot on the iPad.

That's dangerously close to giving customers something more than one-time-only expansion options that don't cost hundreds of dollars more at the time of purchase.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    the ipad has never really been a desire of mine. and i am totally gaga for apple products. but they have only ever struck me as cool when fiddling around with a buddy's ( :winky: )

maybe i would like one more if i carried around one of those rolled-up silicon keyboards.

I want a tablet so that way I have an e-reader that's more useful than an actual e-reader

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyi_4x673H0

where can i find more music like this and the music in the sims.

what is it called?

steam_sig.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Tav wrote: »

I want a tablet so that way I have an e-reader that's more useful than an actual e-reader

oh yeah i mean

i guess a tablet would be nice for reading books in bed and all

i just mean i don't really get excited about them as 'replacement devices' or whatever, for general use

like, i love the ios keyboard, i can text p quickly with it

but that's all i really want to use it for? short messages and such. and that applies to tiny, shitty plastic qwerty kb's on android devices, too.

for something to be my 'primary use' device i want a real, full size keyboard- not a tiny shitty plastic one or a touchscreen one

Dynagrip wrote: »

I'd rather have one that doesn't carry a risk of addiction.

The ativan is the only thing I miss. The ability to have a fast acting "Fuck this I can't deal with this shit anymore by myself."

/mutter.

So it's "the new iPad".

That's its name.

What the hell are they going to do next year?

nibXTE7.png

Man, having one has changed a lot of things about how I go about my daily life.

This discussion has been closed.