As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: February's done, go to the new thread

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    reVerse wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/scroll-of-resurrection?ref=/wow/
    So the rumor about Blizzard giving away free mounts for inviting a person back to WoW was correct. I guess it was only a matter of time before they started using social gaming ideas to keep people in the game. Now they just need to start giving people special powers for the number of friends they have in this game...

I don't keep up with WoW, but between the threads title and this post... has WoW been on the decline or something?

Yes, over the last year or so they've gone from 12 million active players to 10 million active players.

And half of those two million lost subs were over a single quarter; the whole "subscribe to WoW for a year and get Diablo 3 free!" deal was done in response to the drop in subs. I've heard that the deal counteracted the decline for a while, but I would not be surprised to see WoW down another 1-2 million players come their next earnings report.

And yeah, 8-10 million players is still a lot and more than pretty much everyone else, but the sudden and sharp decline just drives the point home that WoW was pretty much nothing but an anomaly.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    So the rumor about Blizzard giving away free mounts for inviting a person back to WoW was correct. I guess it was only a matter of time before they started using social gaming ideas to keep people in the game. Now they just need to start giving people special powers for the number of friends they have in this game...

I don't keep up with WoW, but between the threads title and this post... has WoW been on the decline or something?

unless the new expansion really rejuvenates people you're likely seeing the beginning of the end of wow, subs are way down and they have actually started lay offs in their customer service areas.

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    So, has this been talked about yet?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465809
    These developments were first tracked in the Play.com thread but eventually grew into something far more than what the original thread was ever intended to cover.

The original news was that Monster Hunter Portable 3 was listed on Play.com. The subsequent carnival of stupid began when a photoshopped image from 4chan emerged, purporting to show listings for GTA: Vice City Nights, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, and Tales of Innocence R:

Originally Posted by V_Ben: View Post
    I'm not sure if these other ones are real...

While a quick search of Play.com would quickly reveal that none of these other listings actually existed, somehow Eurogamer seized upon the image. Without any fact checking whatsoever, it quickly became front page news:

Quote:
    Joystiq saw it posted on Eurogamer and, again without any fact checking whatsoever, posted it as confirmed news as well:

Quote:
    In no time at all, the stupidity had gone mainstream:

Originally Posted by Spiegel: View Post
    Terrible, just terrible. Gaming jornalism is such a joke.

http://uk.vita.ign.com/articles/122/1220198p1.html
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/07/pl...ghts-more-for/
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ce-city-nights
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/grand-t...report-6364921
    http://kotaku.com/5891238/new-grand-...headed-to-vita

All based on one photoshopped image
    Amazing.

Originally Posted by shagg_187: View Post
    Even worse is that everyone refers to Eurogamer as the source and they have fantastic words such as these:

"The listing has since been yanked, but Eurogamer was able to capture a screenshot of the page. It suggests the game will carry a €39.99 (about $50) price point." -Gamespot

"Eurogamer was alerted to this by reader el_pollo_diablo, who sent us the image displayed in this story." -Eurogamer

"Sony is hosting the PlayStation Vita Game Heaven on March 9, and we have a feeling that it just might include these titles." -Joystiq

"Eurogamer was alerted to the leak by a reader, posting images of all four games listed on the site. The link to Monster Hunter 3 is still live on Play.com." -IGN

"Perhaps the most interesting news here is an HD version of action-RPG Final Fantasy Type-0, which publisher Square Enix released for PlayStation Portable in Japan last year. Although the chances that we'll see that PSP game in the U.S. or Europe seem fairly slim, an HD remake for PlayStation Vita is far more likely to make its way over here." -Kotaku

smh.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Virtual buttons can work well when they are spaced and sized correctly. For example, I have no problem playing Street Fighter 4 on my phone. They did need to dumb it down a bit from 6 buttons to 4, but I've seen plenty of games get even 2 buttons wrong. Platformers with a single jump button also work great. Sonic CD immediately comes to mind there.

The problem is that the spacing and sizing will change from person to person. Although, to be fair, most games with virtual buttons will at least let you freely arrange them on the screen.

My problem comes down to the lack of physical feedback.

I had this issue with a platformer I was playing on my sister's iPod.

It was even good and only had 3 buttons (left, right, jump). But it would fuck you up often enough to be annoying because you never know if you are on the button without looking at your hands.

You are holding the damn screen, it's gonna shift around in your grip a bit.

I can maybe see that being a problem on a tablet, but on a smaller device like a phone it's nearly impossible for you to not see where your hands are. That particular control scheme, though, is why I like virtual analog sticks far more than virtual buttons for movement. You don't have to pick your thumb up to stop moving, so you rarely lose your place.

No it's not. Unless they are completely obstructing the screen of course, which is the other major issue with on-screen buttons.

If they aren't obstructing the action, you aren't looking at them. You shouldn't be looking at them. If you are playing a game staring at your hands instead of the action of the screen, something has gone wrong.

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    I refer back to my Game Reviews: LMFAO comment and expand it to "Gaming journalism: LMFAO"

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    So, has this been talked about yet?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465809
    These developments were first tracked in the Play.com thread but eventually grew into something far more than what the original thread was ever intended to cover.

The original news was that Monster Hunter Portable 3 was listed on Play.com. The subsequent carnival of stupid began when a photoshopped image from 4chan emerged, purporting to show listings for GTA: Vice City Nights, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, and Tales of Innocence R:

Originally Posted by V_Ben: View Post
    I'm not sure if these other ones are real...

While a quick search of Play.com would quickly reveal that none of these other listings actually existed, somehow Eurogamer seized upon the image. Without any fact checking whatsoever, it quickly became front page news:

Quote:
    Joystiq saw it posted on Eurogamer and, again without any fact checking whatsoever, posted it as confirmed news as well:

Quote:
    In no time at all, the stupidity had gone mainstream:

Originally Posted by Spiegel: View Post
    Terrible, just terrible. Gaming jornalism is such a joke.

http://uk.vita.ign.com/articles/122/1220198p1.html
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/07/pl...ghts-more-for/
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ce-city-nights
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/grand-t...report-6364921
    http://kotaku.com/5891238/new-grand-...headed-to-vita

All based on one photoshopped image
    Amazing.

Originally Posted by shagg_187: View Post
    Even worse is that everyone refers to Eurogamer as the source and they have fantastic words such as these:

"The listing has since been yanked, but Eurogamer was able to capture a screenshot of the page. It suggests the game will carry a €39.99 (about $50) price point." -Gamespot

"Eurogamer was alerted to this by reader el_pollo_diablo, who sent us the image displayed in this story." -Eurogamer

"Sony is hosting the PlayStation Vita Game Heaven on March 9, and we have a feeling that it just might include these titles." -Joystiq

"Eurogamer was alerted to the leak by a reader, posting images of all four games listed on the site. The link to Monster Hunter 3 is still live on Play.com." -IGN

"Perhaps the most interesting news here is an HD version of action-RPG Final Fantasy Type-0, which publisher Square Enix released for PlayStation Portable in Japan last year. Although the chances that we'll see that PSP game in the U.S. or Europe seem fairly slim, an HD remake for PlayStation Vita is far more likely to make its way over here." -Kotaku

smh.

Heh, I read through this. It's pretty hilarious.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Shit, I found this really neat .gif on NeoGaf today that I'd like to apply to the situation...

Ah, got it.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you...

... Games Journalism.

http://h13.abload.de/img/games-journalismaf8t.gif

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    skeldare wrote: »
    Virtual buttons can work well when they are spaced and sized correctly. For example, I have no problem playing Street Fighter 4 on my phone.

Why would I want to play a watered down version of Street Fighter 4 with virtual buttons, when I can play it on my 3DS?

Because it's difficult sometimes to just carry a 3ds everywhere

Also it's not socially acceptable where I live to play a ds of any kind as an adult, I used to get mountains of shit popping open my DS in the break room. It was okay for my friend, because women are allowed to, I guess? I dunno, I hate southeast wisconsin so much.

I had a bluetooth keyboard that I put a little clip on so I could attach my phone to the keyboard and just hold the keyboard, but it broke. Wish there was a retail version of that or something like it

override367 on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Who is that tool? Some tabloid site reporter, right?

Originally Posted by jschreier: View Post
    Hey guys. I'm the Kotaku reporter who wrote about this rumor. I've read through both this thread and the Play.com one and I can't seem to find any sort of proof that these game listings were photoshopped. Can somebody point me to the 4chan thread or wherever else you guys saw conclusive proof that the listings were fake? Or somebody claiming to have made the listings?

Just so you know, my standard operating procedure is to make it very clear when something is an unconfirmed rumor (as I did in the post) and to contact all related companies for comment (as I did this morning). Since the listings look legitimate, the timing seems to match with Sony's big Vita announcement plans on Friday, and none of the games seem particularly farfetched, I had no problem running this rumor as is.

If it's incorrect, I'm happy to update the post and admit my mistake. But right now all I see is a bunch of GAFfers assuming it's incorrect because it looks like it's maybe kinda fake? If somebody has more evidence than that, please let me know!

Zephiran wrote: »
    Shit, I found this really neat .gif on NeoGaf today that I'd like to apply to the situation...

Ah, got it.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you...

... Games Journalism.

http://h13.abload.de/img/games-journalismaf8t.gif

I remember when that video was posted. Fanboys writing game reviews and expecting us to trust their opinion. For the record, I should never, ever be trusted to write an actual published review of any Sonic game ever. Even if I do scrutinize the shit out of a specific game. There's such a wide conflict of interest that can't be ignored.

That dude got paid money to gush over a game he was literally dancing with before even playing it. Let that sink in.

edited March 2012
    Renzo wrote: »
    Who is that tool? Some tabloid site reporter, right?

Justin from Joystiq. He wrote their review of that game (Skyrim).

EDIT: Might as well post the entire video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN2KUJgOPBs&feature=youtu.be

Aside from the obvious conflict of interest, do you really want to trust the opinions of someone who does shit like this, and especially willingly posts it on the internet?

EDIT AGAIN: To clarify, this is also the Neir guy people were bitching about earlier. The one who couldn't figure out X on the map.

TheSonicRetard on
  • RobesRobes Registered User regular
    I can see him doing that as a form of a joke due to the anticipation of Skyrim and not a sincere love and bias of the game.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
    Robes wrote: »
    I can see him doing that as a form of a joke due to the anticipation of Skyrim and not a sincere love and bias of the game.

Except he also posts on quite a few forums. Even if that video was a joke, his unbridled excitement and praise of a game he had not even played was documented. He clearly went in to the game looking to love it. which calls his critical eye into question.

His decision to post that video calls his decision making into question, too.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    So, the ipad 3 is getting a lot of hype.

Cool.

People seem to be under the misconception that it's a quad-core device though. When it isn't, the CPU is a modified A5 (Hence the name,) which the iphone 4S uses, and its using a quad core powerVR gpu. Which is also what the iphone 4S uses. except its the quad core variant and probably clocked slightly higher.

So, basically, the ipad 3 is still just an iphone with a bigger screen.

Yet people are going to buy it. For 600$+

This is about as bad as how apple rebranded the shuffle and ipod touch as 5th generation and used identical parts, some down to using even the same batch with identical serial numbers.

For reference, my phone uses a proper quad-core ARM9 (The big brother to the base model the A5 is based off of.) and a quad core GPU based off of the powerVR (Again, the big brother of the powervr in the iphone 4, which again is probably the same basic design used in the GPU for the ipad 3.)

I'll wait til someone buys one and takes it apart to verify, of course, since its vague speculation based on apple production deals, and such. Still...

Man, Apple rips people off pretty hard, if this is the case.

I'm also somewhat leery of their tegra vs A5 penis waving, considering most benchmarks showed the A5 barely inching out the first generation tegra 3.

steam_sig.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Virtual buttons can work well when they are spaced and sized correctly. For example, I have no problem playing Street Fighter 4 on my phone.

Why would I want to play a watered down version of Street Fighter 4 with virtual buttons, when I can play it on my 3DS?

I personally can't play either the iOS nor the 3DS versions. Both just feel wrong to me. I need either a saturn pad or an arcade stick in my hand.

I find the 3DS version hard as well, it's almost impossible to use the L and R buttons properly.

The 3DS tries to make up for this with its own virtual button hotkeys on the bottom screen, but let's be honest, six button fighters aren't great on four face button handhelds.

SC plays great on PSP and DoA is amazing on 3DS though, so 4 button games are right on.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Also it's not socially acceptable where I live to play a ds of any kind as an adult, I used to get mountains of shit popping open my DS in the break room. It was okay for my friend, because women are allowed to, I guess? I dunno, I hate southeast wisconsin so much.

Wait, what the fuck?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    It's not the number of face buttons which kills SSF4 3DS for me - I cut my teeth on SF2 on the SNES so I'm used to 4 face buttons. It's rather the position of the buttons and d-pad (and slider pad) on the 3DS that kills it for me. They're too close to the edge of the unit, and I find physically holding a 3DS to be uncomfortable for most gaming, and thus it's extra uncomfortable for a portable fighter.

I sound like a broken record I'm sure, but Vita feels great in my hands, and as such I have absolutely no problem playing MvC3 on it.

I hate the Vita's dpad, at least it finally has decent sticks though. PSP's nub was dumb.

I used to use a power grip type of device on the 3DS to make it feel right but I've since given it up in lieu of the CPP, which does a decent job of rebalancing the system.

edited March 2012
    I actually love the vita's dpad. very precise, and I like the mechanical clickiness of it. Works great for precise things.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Wait, what the fuck?

This attitude is most cerainly out there and its not a good thing. If I'm playing Shredder Chess on my Android phone, shit, even Angry Birds, I'm a classy gent. If I pull out a DS then HERP DERP MANCHILD.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited March 2012
    I hate the Vita's dpad, at least it finally has decent sticks though. PSP's nub was dumb.

I used to use a power grip type of device on the 3DS to make it feel right but I've since given it up in lieu of the CPP, which does a decent job of rebalancing the system.

Oh I agree that the d-pad on the vita is annoying. I think the actual feel of the D-pad (it's a REAL cross this time, not 4 buttons!) is great, probably the best d-pad sony has made, but the placement is annoying.

But since UMvC3 is so fast paced to begin with, it doesn't feel like it demands the super precise control you need to get the most out of SSF4, and thus I don't mind using the analog stick. It reminds me of the neo geo pocket color when I play using it.

EDIT: I'm super interested in the CPP though for the same reason you listed. Do you share my criticisms of the 3DS's slider and button placements? And did the CPP solve those problems for you?

TheSonicRetard on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Speaking of portable fighters, there wasn't a DOA for the PSP, was there?

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »

Yes, over the last year or so they've gone from 12 million active players to 10 million active players.

And half of those two million lost subs were over a single quarter; the whole "subscribe to WoW for a year and get Diablo 3 free!" deal was done in response to the drop in subs. I've heard that the deal counteracted the decline for a while, but I would not be surprised to see WoW down another 1-2 million players come their next earnings report.

And yeah, 8-10 million players is still a lot and more than pretty much everyone else, but the sudden and sharp decline just drives the point home that WoW was pretty much nothing but an anomaly.

?? It more says that the game is finally running out of steam. You can only milk a game for so long before people get tired of the same old, same old.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

That's surprising to hear. I think the d-pad on the Vita is one of the best around. I think I like it even better than the dual shock d-pad. All of the Vita buttons have a really nice mechanical clickiness. I love 'em.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Except he also posts on quite a few forums. Even if that video was a joke, his unbridled excitement and praise of a game he had not even played was documented. He clearly went in to the game looking to love it. which calls his critical eye into question.

What critical eye? Every review is biased. Most reviews aren't KillScreen material or anything. They're a review of a commercial product from a trusted source: if you agree with a reviewer's past reviews, he gives you a good barometer on what to expect on each new review. We just had some slagging on a reviewer for playing a game with a stated dislike, and now for elated joy? Can a reviewer not play a game they've waited for and still find the faults?

I'd rather honest passion than stoicism in my reviewers. I'd personally hand games to reviewers with an affinity for the title they're reviewing. Much like Sterling over at Destructoid opted out of reviewing the later AC games because they were definitely not his thing.

Cool.

People seem to be under the misconception that it's a quad-core device though. When it isn't, the CPU is a modified A5 (Hence the name,) which the iphone 4S uses, and its using a quad core powerVR gpu. Which is also what the iphone 4S uses. except its the quad core variant and probably clocked slightly higher.

I've heard it's essentially the same PowerVR chip powering the Vita.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    I actually love the vita's dpad. very precise, and I like the mechanical clickiness of it. Works great for precious things.

The dpad on the vita is a lot better than the PSPs. Although I still hate the placement, but that's a problem I've had with Playstation controllers since the original Dual Shock.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA

Oh I agree that the d-pad on the vita is annoying. I think the actual feel of the D-pad (it's a REAL cross this time, not 4 buttons!) is great, probably the best d-pad sony has made, but the placement is annoying.

But since UMvC3 is so fast paced to begin with, it doesn't feel like it demands the super precise control you need to get the most out of SSF4, and thus I don't mind using the analog stick. It reminds me of the neo geo pocket color when I play using it.

EDIT: I'm super interested in the CPP though for the same reason you listed. Do you share my criticisms of the 3DS's slider and button placements? And did the CPP solve those problems for you?

The slider is fine its the dpad placement that annoys me. CPP fixed this decently enough because now I can brace the system with the right of my right hand on the back of the system because of the lengthing. It did make it just a wee bit too big to fit in my pocket attached though, so its an annoyance.

CPP makes MGS 3D control a lot better and it adds a decent alternative for Resident Evil so its worth the price of admission for that, but sometimes I keep it on for Mario Kart to keep my hands from cramping from using the L button too much. I've only had it a week though but so far I'm loving it.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular

Cool.

This is about as bad as how apple rebranded the shuffle and ipod touch as 5th generation and used identical parts, some down to using even the same batch with identical serial numbers.

For reference, my phone uses a proper quad-core ARM9 (The big brother to the base model the A5 is based off of.) and a quad core GPU based off of the powerVR (Again, the big brother of the powervr in the iphone 4, which again is probably the same basic design used in the GPU for the ipad 3.)

I'll wait til someone buys one and takes it apart to verify, of course, since its vague speculation based on apple production deals, and such. Still...

I'm also somewhat leery of their tegra vs A5 penis waving, considering most benchmarks showed the A5 barely inching out the first generation tegra 3.

itt people don't understand what a tablet is for

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    Yeah, I've never particularly loved the pad placement even on the dualshock. Still it could be worse. It could be the Dreamcast controller.

steam_sig.png
    Same Kotaku dude.
    Originally Posted by Ignis Fatuus: View Post
    In case you don't know how 4chan works, the original thread is probably gone by now and would be impossible to search for to begin with. People have been watching the Play site for a long time before the image emerged and never saw any such listings. The only evidence that such listings existed came from the image which was sourced on several forums from 4chan, and one of our own users supports that being the original source with his own testimony.
    You're asking the community to effectively do your job, but not only that, you're asking them to prove a negative which is about as absurd as demanding that Iraq prove that they absolutely don't have any weapons of mass destruction.

Actually, I'm asking you to prove the accusations you're making in this thread. You are accusing me (and other reporters) of posting incorrect information, but your evidence appears to be based on nothing but assumptions. If you want to continue throwing around tired "lol game journalism" insults instead of, you know, actually backing up your claims, be my guest.

Meanwhile, as I said before, if anybody has something conclusive showing that these listings have been photoshopped, please let me know here or via e-mail (jason@kotaku.com). I will of course continue to look into this on my own, but I always appreciate hearing more info.

edited March 2012

What critical eye? Every review is biased. Most reviews aren't KillScreen material or anything. They're a review of a commercial product from a trusted source: if you agree with a reviewer's past reviews, he gives you a good barometer on what to expect on each new review. We just had some slagging on a reviewer for playing a game with a stated dislike, and now for elated joy? Can a reviewer not play a game they've waited for and still find the faults?

I'd rather honest passion than stoicism in my reviewers. I'd personally hand games to reviewers with an affinity for the title they're reviewing. Much like Sterling over at Destructoid opted out of reviewing the later AC games because they were definitely not his thing.

Critical eye does not imply a complete lack of bias - every single opinion is biased. Critical eye refers to the degree in which a reviewer will scrutinize a game. I don't trust someone who has made up their minds about a game to display a level of scrutiny that I find valuable. And I'd certainly say that, given everything within the last 2 pages, that NONE of these outlets are trusted sources to me.

If all you got out of these two pages are that reviewers can't like a game, nor can they not dislike a game, then you missed the entire point of these last two pages worth of posts. It's not that they liked or disliked the game, is that they weren't critical with their assessment of it, and either let their bias hang out so blatantly that you question their degree of scrutiny, or flat out didn't play the game at all.

I don't want passion out of my game reviews. I can get unlimited sources of that from every forum on the web. I'd rather have a good discussion about what the game does right, and what it does wrong, without trying to boil the argument down to "this game sucks" or "this game rules." Which is pretty much why I'm very against review scores in the first place.

TheSonicRetard on

Cool.

itt people don't understand what a tablet is for

I love people who reply and simultaneously prove their goosery and add nothing to the statement at hand.

The point, good sir, is that at this juncture the ipad 3 is looking to be running slightly rebranded parts from a year ago at a premium price. Which has actually been Apple's business model for a couple of years now if you actually pop the devices open and look at the glittery bits inside. If they can get away with it, that's fine. More power to them for preying on their less then informed consumers. It's more just a point of curiosity to me.

steam_sig.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Psh, my 3DS is with me constantly, and I play it during lunch at work. I just scoff at anyone who attempts to make me look silly playing games. I don't let others mandate what I do for entertainment.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Wow more confrontational than I would have expected

• subediisubedii Registered User regular

?? It more says that the game is finally running out of steam. You can only milk a game for so long before people get tired of the same old, same old.

Yeah it was an outlier in the sense that it far surpassed expectations of it and all other MMO's, and other MMO's should never treat it as a reference for how many subscribers they're supposed to have.

WoW has been a phenomenal success, but the decline doesn't mean anything more than like with all games, people will eventually move on. All MMO's are eventually going to die, sooner or later, that it had this kind of run to date is pretty incredible.

Personally I think it would be wise for Blizzard not to fight this too hard, and just focus on cracking on with whatever next MMO project they're building. Although then again, it's not like anything they've done so far really requires more than a few state tweaks here and there.

Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Psh, my 3DS is with me constantly, and I play it during lunch at work. I just scoff at anyone who attempts to make me look silly playing games. I don't let others mandate what I do for entertainment.

On the bus, I'm usually diddling with my phone, headphones in ear, kinda lost in my own world. I could see myself using a vita or 3DS in such a setting, but I don't carry them with me because I don't like crowding my pockets (and my briefcase is full).

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Shady, I like that you're reposting that stuff here, but it's kinda confusing until I realized that the Kotaku guy is quoting someone else and you didn't copy over the quote tags.

But yeah, my impression from the previous post you brought here was that he doesn't know how 4chan works.

subedii wrote: »

Yeah it was an outlier in the sense that it far surpassed expectations of it and all other MMO's, and other MMO's should never treat it as a reference for how many subscribers they're supposed to have.

WoW has been a phenomenal success, but the decline doesn't mean anything more than like with all games, people will eventually move on. All MMO's are eventually going to die, sooner or later, that it had this kind of run to date is pretty incredible.

Personally I think it would be wise for Blizzard not to fight this too hard, and just focus on cracking on with whatever next MMO project they're building. Although then again, it's not like anything they've done so far really requires more than a few state tweaks here and there.

I would love for Blizzard to make another Lost Vikings game, personally. But it'll never happen.

subedii wrote: »

I would love for Blizzard to make another Lost Vikings game, personally. But it'll never happen.

I think I would die of joy if that ever happened.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.