As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Posebook by Silver, you should get it

Yeah WriteYeah Write Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Artist's Corner
I wrote this blog reviewing Posebook and I thought some folks here my find it informative:

A few months ago Stephen Silver released an app called Posebook--Mike actually wrote about it. I wanted it badly, but it was only available for iDevices. That changed this past week. You can now pick up Posebook for your Android device through the Amazon App Store. If you’re interested in improving your art, I highly recommend it.

Posebook is exactly what it sounds like, an electronic book full of poses. You get several costumed characters in a crazy amount of poses, plus silhouettes, hands and faces. Each pose has multiple angles and you can zoom in and flip every image. The app also comes with some short tutorial videos from Stephen and a gallery of images created by talented artists (like Mike) who used Posebook for their drawings. The videos are excellent and I wish there were more of them. They’re really just there to drive you to Stephen’s Schoolism class, which I’m sure is fantastic (side note: if you’re interested in taking a Schoolism class--and you should be because they're awesome--use the link on my website for a discount...which also gives me referral credit :).

The only downside to the app is that it can be a bit too sensitive when navigating the menus. The UI and overall design feels just like an iPhone app, meaning it was quickly converted and thrown on the Android market. Other than that tiny nuisance, it’s a wonderful app. It looks great on my Droid Razr’s big screen, and until the BlueStacks beta starts, I can use the HDMI out on my phone to see the pictures bigger on my computer monitor.

Here are a couple sketches I did the other night.

pirate.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1331048450749

gangster.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1331048458234

There are so many poses to choose from. I’m seeking out the ones that I don’t normally draw, stuff at weird angles. Posebook is split into two apps, one has males the other has females. Each app is $10. I’m going to get the female version after my $10 Amazon credit comes in from pre-ordering Mass Effect 3. I know that's a steep price from the app mindset, but even at $20 it’s a great value. The absurd number of poses, the tutorials, and the ability to flip and zoom images elevates Posebook above its traditional paper-bound counterparts. If you have a compatible device and you want to improve your figure drawing skills, get this app.

...do the write thing.
Yeah Write on

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hmm.

Is there an iPad version?

EDIT: Can you set up multiple figures to arrange a scene?

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    Yeah WriteYeah Write Registered User regular
    Hmm.

Is there an iPad version?

EDIT: Can you set up multiple figures to arrange a scene?

There is an iPad version. Unfortunately you cannot set up multiple figures. There is a very round about way of doing that if you get the Android version and also manage to get in to the aforementioned BlueStacks beta:
    -Open the pose you want in the app
    -Hit the printscreen button
    -Paste into Photoshop
    -Repeat and arrange

Of course by that point you're probably better off just drawing each one individually. If you go to his blog there are videos there of the phone and iPad versions in action.

...do the write thing.
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Just wanted to chime in on these apps as well:

I own both for iPhone, and they are indeed wonderful. Although both apps are great for what they do, the male one comes with six drawing concept videos to explain a certain element of drawing, where as the female version comes with four. Make no mistake however, the videos included are not repeats/retreads of the ones from the opposite sex app, and I do feel that the concepts match well with the subject model ideally.

I would stress not to use this as an anatomy reference app; this is to help an artist better understand the how and why of art elements, not to teach you how the leg bone connects to the foot bone ahaha. If you buy it with just that in mind, you might be disappointed!

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    is this any better than posemaniacs?