As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat]Easy

Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
speakeasy.jpg

A speakeasy, also called a blind pig or blind tiger, is an establishment that illegally sells alcoholic beverages. Such establishments came into prominence in the United States during the period known as Prohibition (1920–1933, longer in some states). During this time, the sale, manufacture, and transportation (bootlegging) of alcoholic beverages was illegal throughout the United States.

What's your poison [chat]?

Caveman Paws on

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Beer. As it is the liquid bread that raised monuments.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Scotch.

or Gin.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    _J_ wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    so i am basically hoping either in fall '13 or fall '14 my hooks- low income, first generation student, orphan

I'd think that would make you a FAFSA darling, swimming in possible federal aid.

it will but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. i will qualify for the highest amount of federal loans- and since it's undergrad, even being independent that's capped at 12.5 per year- and the highest pell grant ($5.5k)... but 18k doesn't make a dent in most costs of attendance considering it'd have to cover food and housing also.

so i'd have to rack up a bunch of little scholarships (more than is realistic, probably), or go to a school with a lot of institutional aid- which is why i'm aiming for such selective programs.

it might seem- to someone middle or upper class- that the poor and disadvantaged kids have it 'easy' with financial aid... but that's only true at the few very, very generous schools in the country- and they all have commensurate levels of selectivity in their admissions. yeah, harvard, upenn, and stanford make sure all kids coming from an income <50k get a full ride with no loans... but do you know how many kids from my background go to those schools? it's almost statistically negligible.

the better a student's financial background, the higher chance he/she has for admission to a top program. if i manage to get into one of those programs it'll be excellent and a breeze, financially. but especially as a transfer student it's obscenely unlikely.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    AW YEAH DIS MY JAM

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    caramel macchiato.

wandering wrote: »
    caramel macchiato.

100% blaming these and the coffee culture at my work for me gaining weight

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    This was in the trailer thread and you should watch it. Warning: Has some truncated n-words in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VovGH2Fe1w&amp;feature=player_embedded

Sarksus on
    so i am basically hoping either in fall '13 or fall '14 my hooks- low income, first generation student, orphan

I'd think that would make you a FAFSA darling, swimming in possible federal aid.

it will but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. i will qualify for the highest amount of federal loans- and since it's undergrad, even being independent that's capped at 12.5 per year- and the highest pell grant ($5.5k)... but 18k doesn't make a dent in most costs of attendance considering it'd have to cover food and housing also.

so i'd have to rack up a bunch of little scholarships (more than is realistic, probably), or go to a school with a lot of institutional aid- which is why i'm aiming for such selective programs.

it might seem- to someone middle or upper class- that the poor and disadvantaged kids have it 'easy' with financial aid... but that's only true at the few very, very generous schools in the country- and they all have commensurate levels of selectivity in their admissions. yeah, harvard, upenn, and stanford make sure all kids coming from an income <50k get a full ride with no loans... but do you know how many kids from my background go to those schools? it's almost statistically negligible.

the better a student's financial background, the higher chance he/she has for admission to a top program. if i manage to get into one of those programs it'll be excellent and a breeze, financially. but especially as a transfer student it's obscenely unlikely.

12.5K isn't "having it easy". That is a stupid-low number given what most places charge.

I mean, I understand why the government wouldn't hand out 50K loans to students...but...12.5K is "I have money and need a little help"...that's not going to get someone to college who doesn't already have a support mechanism in place.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    nevermind

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    for the love of god don't watch that thing sarks posted

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Speaking of old-timey drinks, I need to figure out where I can get some gum arabic. My sister got me some whiskey sour making supplies (a bag of lemons, some cane sugar, and a handle of jim beam) and I've heard that using gomme syrup instead of just a simple syrup is the dopeness.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    @Jacobkosh, should I pick up ME3, or get the ME2 DLCs?

smCQ5WE.jpg
    WATCH IT

IT'S AMAZING

Sarksus wrote: »
    WATCH IT

IT'S AMAZING

LIES!

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    What iPhone running app do you guyses use?

smCQ5WE.jpg
    you've posted it twice now Sarks.

stop.

steam_sig.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote:
    WATCH IT

IT'S AMAZING

LIES!

Do you expect less from such a man? I bet he is also a communist.

u7stthr17eud.png

12.5K isn't "having it easy". That is a stupid-low number given what most places charge.

I mean, I understand why the government wouldn't hand out 50K loans to students...but...12.5K is "I have money and need a little help"...that's not going to get someone to college who doesn't already have a support mechanism in place.

yup. i mean, i MIGHT also qualify for a perkins loans- i'm not sure how that works- but even with that i'd still have a gap for penn state, and a five digit gap at anywhere OOS or private.

so lacking a lot of merit aid (which is almost impossible for transfers), my main goal is to get into one of the few schools in america that meet 100% of the demonstrated financial need of transfer students. it's not a big list at all! and most are crazy hard to get into.

if i don't get into any i'll just have to see what happens. i'll try and work every summer and during the school year, i'll apply for lots of little scholarships. i dunno if it would work out. we'll see.

if i could just join the military i wouldn't have all this to think about. :3

where's my bionic eye, OBAMA

edited March 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDe9lKn040U
    seriously. how do i find more music like this. and the stuff from the Sims.

i love it.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    crown royal whiskey

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

I think something like 20% of Stanford students receive financial aid. So it's not a negligible fraction. But, that still means that 80% of them do not, which means in turn that 80% of them come from households with at least six figure incomes (Stanford's cutoff point for charging tuition). This is massive overrepresentation, statistically. So your point still stands--clearly, privilege is working out pretty well for those that have it.

I only posted it once!

yup. i mean, i MIGHT also qualify for a perkins loans- i'm not sure how that works- but even with that i'd still have a gap for penn state, and a five digit gap at anywhere OOS or private.

so lacking a lot of merit aid (which is almost impossible for transfers), my main goal is to get into one of the few schools in america that meet 100% of the demonstrated financial need of transfer students. it's not a big list at all! and most are crazy hard to get into.

if i don't get into any i'll just have to see what happens. i'll try and work every summer and during the school year, i'll apply for lots of little scholarships. i dunno if it would work out. we'll see.

For some reason that $12.5K cap is really grinding my gears. It's almost insulting.

"You have nothing. Here's something that still won't actually help you in any meaningful sense. Have a nice day."

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    for the love of god don't watch that thing sarks posted

it's odd that the one who is presumably the main character also looks the most disturbingly plastic

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I only posted it once!

Sarksus that video is simply no good. It was better then the movie my brother made, but not by much.

(My brothers movie was soooo bad. The dishonor will follow our family for three generations. )

Caveman Paws on
    MrMister wrote: »

I think something like 20% of Stanford students receive financial aid. So it's not a negligible fraction. But, that still means that 80% of them do not, which means in turn that 80% of them come from households with at least six figure incomes (Stanford's cutoff point for charging tuition). This is massive overrepresentation, statistically. So your point still stands--clearly, privilege is working out pretty well for those that have it.

right, the unfortunate thing is when those sorts of stats are released, it's usually harder to pin down the amounts of aid. so if stanford says, for example, everyone who makes >250k per year has to pay fully... families that make 150k can still get a bunch of financial aid. it's well known that stanford meets all demonstrated need (cost of attendance minus expected family contribution) for every student. for eighty percent of their kids their expected family contribution is equal to the cost of attendance. but for the twenty percent where there is an inequality, how many have an expected family contribution of zero?

i dunno, but i'd wager that it's low single digits.

edited March 2012

For some reason that $12.5K cap is really grinding my gears. It's almost insulting.

"You have nothing. Here's something that still won't actually help you in any meaningful sense. Have a nice day."

yeah.

for independent students it's something like 9,500 freshman year, 10,500 sophomore year, 12,500 junior year, 12,500 senior year. i think once you hit grad school it's like 20,500 per year? something around there.

and i can only borrow as much as i can because i'm independent. if i were not an orphan and under 24 it starts at like 5,500 freshman year.

Organichu on
    Good point. You clearly have done your homework (I'm, by contrast, am going off of stats I heard in passing in '08).

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Elki wrote: »

get the DLCs, they're really good and all of them have now folded into my me3 experience, sometimes in seriously significant ways

rRwz9.gif
    I only posted it once!

Sarksus that video is simply no good. It was better then the movie my brother made, but not by much.

(My brothers movie was soooo bad. The dishonor will follow our family for three generations. )

You need to connect with your inner hipster.

I think what's pissing me off is my preconception that we had FAFSA to offset the privilege that wealthy students have, at least in terms of raw fees. But if someone literally has nothing, why the shit is the cap so low?

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    jesus. the day my phone is dead all day is the day my mom's in a car accident

at least she's okay

Damn Eddy

Good point. You clearly have done your homework (I'm, by contrast, am going off of stats I heard in passing in '08).

yeah unfortunately it's not something that is explained all that well. either people make too much money to even seek financial aid or they went into school at 18 and their parents sort of handled all the scary papers and promissory notes and all that jazz. it's crazy how many kids say like 'ok, so what if fafsa gives me 8k... what's the MOST i could try to get from fafsa the next year?'

but i am trying to stress about it less in general. thankfully my community college is cheap and so i can afford it with almost no loans at all until i transfer. i'll cross the bridge when i come to it.

but i sure hope i get into a top school that will meet my need! it'd suck to like, work three jobs and take out personal loans and suck dicks and whatever other sort of malarkey i'd have to do just to get a less-than-top-notch education.

at least she's okay

That opening statement scared me out of my socks. You have to preface these things. I am glad she is okay

that is often a fear I have.

steam_sig.png

yeah unfortunately it's not something that is explained all that well. either people make too much money to even seek financial aid or they went into school at 18 and their parents sort of handled all the scary papers and promissory notes and all that jazz. it's crazy how many kids say like 'ok, so what if fafsa gives me 8k... what's the MOST i could try to get from fafsa the next year?'

but i am trying to stress about it less in general. thankfully my community college is cheap and so i can afford it with almost no loans at all until i transfer. i'll cross the bridge when i come to it.

but i sure hope i get into a top school that will meet my need! it'd suck to like, work three jobs and take out personal loans and suck dicks and whatever other sort of malarkey i'd have to do just to get a less-than-top-notch education.

Indeed. Sucking dick for a lousy education would suck dick.

at least she's okay

Better than your mom being dead and your phone being in a car accident.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »

get the DLCs, they're really good and all of them have now folded into my me3 experience, sometimes in seriously significant ways

is there anything you need to do in 2 to give you a benefit in 3, not like decisions to make but upgrading something or collecting resources? I remember in 1 if you had a lot of money you got extra money in 2, like that sort of thing

This discussion has been closed.