As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Costumes thread

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Gotta get that core strength!

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Munch wrote:
    The new movie Hulk reminds me of this post on muscular anatomy.

thats a good point, and make me feel better about movie hulk's new look

I guess the reason I like "vascular hulk" is that in my mind at least when he transforms its really more about skeletal and muscular growth in response to some threat, and in a similar vein I can't really fathom him gaining a proportional amount of fat.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    He looks more like the actor playing Banner now too. It's a lot easier to see Ruffalo in the new one than it is to see Norton in the older one.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    New Hulk is better. The Norton Hulk has a real freakish vibe that doesn't do him any favors. He's all glistening and veined, in a way that's really unpleasant for a protagonist that's supposed to be a misunderstood nice guy. It just works against him too much. Norton Hulk looks like he secretes slime or something, like you wouldn't want him sitting on your couch or shaking your hand (I mean, yes, he's the Hulk, but still... if he could shake your hand politely, you wouldn't want to because of the quart of goo he'd leave on it after letting go).

The new Hulk is 'bulky' but, c'mon. That's part of the character. He looks like someone you could learn to relax around, if you got a chance to get on his good side.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/misterz173/gallery-of-spiders/108-466826/583926_s_m_ug_096_097/105-1188577/
    this picture was from Spider-Man: The Ultimate Guide, uncredited

i have no idea who drew this or where it's from

besides bad coloring, i want to know WHY GREEN ON SPIDER-MAN

• JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/misterz173/gallery-of-spiders/108-466826/583926_s_m_ug_096_097/105-1188577/
    this picture was from Spider-Man: The Ultimate Guide, uncredited

i have no idea who drew this or where it's from

besides bad coloring, i want to know WHY GREEN ON SPIDER-MAN

Looks like a badly cropped image more than anything.

My eye reads the green as a glow on him from something else, not a part of the suit.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Anti we told you

it is green lights on Spidey's costume via bad coloring

that is the reason

CYpGAPn.png
    that doesn't tell me where the original is from

That's almost halfway decent lighting, but then the goddamn face.

It makes it look like some weird cross-section of Spider-Man's head, like he's secretly an avocado.

it needs to be an alt costume in the next spider-man game

this page perplexed me for ten years and now I know it's just a coloring error

that is bullshit

• GankGank Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    TexiKen wrote:
    When Nightcrawler shaved his head:

nightcrawler.jpg

Man, 90's Excalibur was like the only thing my 2nd Hand Bookshop had in bulk so I read that shit all the time as a kid. I loved swashbuckling, sword-in-his-tail, shaved-head Kurt. He is still sorely missed.

Munch, I love both those costumes. I've found myself drawing Blue Beetle when I got bored at work, cos like you said, the bold lines and the chest symbol being part of the line work on the outfit just meshes the whole thing really well. But while Boosters collar is forgivable, almost all of Guys costumes are horrific.

And these costumes still make me chuckle...
    X-Dudes_Victor_Borkowski_(Earth-616)_and_Santo_Vaccarro_(Earth-616).jpg

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    ok so more live action avengers costumes

this time: Iron Man

in the early trailers for the new movie and other early ,material he is wearing this one

97566711.png

which mostly seems like his Mk.VI (post vibranium) from Iron Man 2 with grey biceps and all gold thighs (lets call it Mk.VII). Immediately apparent is the inverted triangle Unibeam emitter

and then in this trailer after 0:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGt-saFvkNk

he seems to have a different armor, with thrusters mounted on the back (presumably to keep his hands free for repulsor blasting), the thighs are grey, and the Unibeam emitter is circular (lets call this Mk.VIII)

so, which one do you like better? or do you prefer one of the earlier movieverse suits?

I for one prefer the MK.VIII, followed by the other versions with the circular chest piece

Joolander on
    Maybe I should've realized this already, but you've made it pretty clear Iron Man can't be in a movie without making himself a suit if armor that can fix what he needs to fix.

Iron Man 1:

Heart shrapnel and stuck in a cave? Build a suit.

Tech stolen by dead father's friend? Build a better suit.

Iron Man 2:

Tech uh...stolen by dead father's dead working colleague's son? Build a better suit.

Palladium blood poisoning causing eventual death? Build a better suit.

Avengers:

Planetary Invasion? ...Well, you know.
    I'm also almost 100% certain at some point in the movie Tony will build a Hulkbuster suit to thrown down with the Hulk.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Well, that's basically the character progression of Iron Man in the comics too. Hulk smashes things, Hawkeye shoots a bow, and Tony Stark builds suits. He's an action hero version of that Men's Warehouse Guy. We Guarantee It.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Hensler wrote:
    Well, that's basically the character progression of Iron Man in the comics too. Hulk smashes things, Hawkeye shoots a bow, and Tony Stark builds suits. He's an action hero version of that Men's Warehouse Guy. We Guarantee It.

I have to admit: I like the way he looks.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited March 2012
    There was actually a fan theory way back in the Claremont days I believe, postulating that Cyclops should have been a lot more powerful. It was hinted that he was solar-powered, and would have basically been Superman, had it not been for the brain damage he incurred in a fall. But, as a result of that trauma, he was only left with uncontrollable eye lasers.

This is true. According to Marc Silvestri and some of the back-and-forth that went on between Marvel and the Image founders in the 90's, Marvel was going to give Cyclops his full range of powers at some point, and Silvestri took the ideas and costumes and used them for one the characters in his X-Men ripoff, Cyber Force. I want to say the character was named Heatwave.

Hensler on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Sweet Christmas, Hensler. Three weeks later and you don't even link a costume?

Nate Bellegarde's X-men design is neato. I really like his Iceman. That snow-beard is funny.
    http://www.tencentticker.com/projectrooftop/2012/02/28/pr-approved-nate-bellegardes-x-men/

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I don't mind most of them but Iceman and Angel looks super doofy

CYpGAPn.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    True story: As a result of my teenage years spent delving through quarter bins, I love Cyberforce. The only thing I like more than Cyberforce?

Strykeforce.

Let's all take a moment to appreciate when Killrazor met Ripclaw, and played 'Whose is bigger?'
    0Ye5I.jpg

I'm always pretty bummed when these properties get revived for a Pilot Season issue or something like that, and then nothing ever comes of it. I think the last thing to really happen was that Velocity mini-series by Marz and Rocafort, which wound up getting delayed a bunch.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Killrazor is such a fantastic name I am just sitting here in awe

I like the idea of serious-looking, super-powered killers who are actually rather goofy at heart. Did Strykeforce deliver on that?

Sweet Christmas, Hensler. Three weeks later and you don't even link a costume?

Three weeks? Huh, I should restart my PC more often.

Munch wrote: »
    True story: As a result of my teenage years spent delving through quarter bins, I love Cyberforce. The only thing I like more than Cyberforce?

Strykeforce.

Let's all take a moment to appreciate when Killrazor met Ripclaw, and played 'Whose is bigger?'
    0Ye5I.jpg

I'm always pretty bummed when these properties get revived for a Pilot Season issue or something like that, and then nothing ever comes of it. I think the last thing to really happen was that Velocity mini-series by Marz and Rocafort, which wound up getting delayed a bunch.

Munch, have you not read Artifacts? It was probably my favorite superhero comic in recent memories, and definitely the best "event" comic I've seen in a long time. It focused more on the Darkness/Witchblade side of the Top Cow universe, but Cyberforce still had a role in it. The two areas of Top Cow have actually gotten closer together in the past few years, and I can't say enough good things about Artifacts.

As far as Strykeforce goes... :D. After the success of the Darkness video games, and all the people raving about the quad wielding system in The Darkness 2, I think a Stryker game is the next logical step.

edited March 2012
    Hey, look, another Earth-2 costume.

Jay Garrick, the Flash
    l7RUq.jpg

Man, that is awful. It is too busy. Hell, that is too busy for a figure-skater's costume. There is really no need to make superheroes more realistic, which is what the seams and ribbing thing is all about, especially because you can have tights without super-obvious seams and ribbing-- look at the tights speed skaters and some skiers wear-- so the seams and ribbing are just clutter.

If you have an artist who doesn't draw the seams and ribbing, which is a thing that will happen I am sure-- then you are left with a bizarre update of Jay's classic look with a curvy lightening bolt and a helmet with antenna on it for no reason. Stylized antenna can be cool on a bug-based costume, but they make no sense for a speedster. If there was one... ornament on the middle of his helmet near the front somewhere, you could say it was a head ornament like an old race car.

DouglasDanger on
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    The whole reason Jay Garrick was originally designed with a winged, silver helmet was to evoke images of the greco-roman god Hermes/Mercury. If you lose the wings, you lose that imagery and he might as well not wear a silver helmet in the first place. And antennae? Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Really, that's my only problem with that costume. Not that I'm totally in love with the other components, but I could live with them.

edited March 2012
    I honestly don't know why they wouldn't rename him, while they're at it. I mean, presumably they're hoping that Earth-2 will catch on, and lead to spin-offs and such. Why not change his name to Mercury, and play up some of Garrick's previous iconography, while also avoiding the potential confusion of having two different Flashes?

Hensler wrote:
    Munch, have you not read Artifacts? It was probably my favorite superhero comic in recent memories, and definitely the best "event" comic I've seen in a long time. It focused more on the Darkness/Witchblade side of the Top Cow universe, but Cyberforce still had a role in it. The two areas of Top Cow have actually gotten closer together in the past few years, and I can't say enough good things about Artifacts.

Nah, I've not read it yet. I feel like a lot of the Ron Marz stuff has been an effort to make the Top Cow stuff more serious, and grounded, so I'm not sure how much it'd appeal to me. But if you say it's good, I may check it out.

I also just remembered that there was an Avengers/Cyberforce crossover a few years back, by Abnett and Lanning, that I shouldn't probably track down.

Munch on
    I think the kept the Jay Garrick name as a cash-grab, much like the entire Earth 2 thing. Without a connection to the DC history, the book would like an awful 90s Image thing or something.

• VermisVermis Registered User regular
    Why not change his name to Mercury, and play up some of Garrick's previous iconography

Problem is that another name for the element Mercury is:

2068427-_20quicksilver_20running.gif

Which shouldn't bother reasonable people, but comics.

rulksig.jpg
    I honestly don't know why they wouldn't rename him, while they're at it. I mean, presumably they're hoping that Earth-2 will catch on, and lead to spin-offs and such. Why not change his name to Mercury, and play up some of Garrick's previous iconography, while also avoiding the potential confusion of having two different Flashes?

Hensler wrote:

Nah, I've not read it yet. I feel like a lot of the Ron Marz stuff has been an effort to make the Top Cow stuff more serious, and grounded, so I'm not sure how much it'd appeal to me. But if you say it's good, I may check it out.

I also just remembered that there was an Avengers/Cyberforce crossover a few years back, by Abnett and Lanning, that I shouldn't probably track down.

Yeah, the Ron Marz stuff has basically taken Top Cow from the 90's rut and tried to make it more contemporary. YMMV.

That Avengers/Cyberforce book also has Ellis' Thunderbolts and the Hunter/Killer team in it. Honestly all I remember about it is that there were an insane number of characters, and multiple Ripclaw's to confuse things even further.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Calling him Mercury would confuse the character with Max Mercury, though Max probably doesn't exist anymore.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Should've just had him be Max Mercury

George Kambadais did some Avengers redesigns, over at Project Rooftop. I like the Thor one, though I feel like it needs some gloves or bracers, something like that. The Captain America's a bit busy, and the bandana seems inappropriate for Cap. The Wasp is a cool, punk-y redesign, but I don't think would really fit the fashion-conscious Janet Van Dyne. Iron Man and the Hulk are just kinda weird.

But, I love this Ant-Man.

6mHPY.png

It's a really great blend of Hank Pym, action scientist, and Ant-Man, superhero.

That said, Scott Lang's Ant-Man costume is still my favorite. It just looks so freaky, and alien. Like, if Ant-Man were ever to be revamped as the Avengers' reclusive scientist dude, who spends all day in a tiny lab, buried a hundred feet under the mansion, this is what he should look like. I'd probably change the white ribbing to plain black, just to simplify it, but other than that, I dig the Hell out of it.

ynmsZ.jpg

scott lang's costume is easily the best

It doesn't help that the current Ant-Man costume is unbearably lame. Blue gloves and boots with a giant chrome helmet and shoulderpads? Sure, why not?

Though, Chris Samnee's Ant-Man in Thor: The Mighty Avenger, was a pretty good interpretation of the classic costume.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    WW_dress01.jpg

I dig the crap out of this.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Well, that's pretty nice.

I mean, impractical as an everyday costume. But nice.

I will say that her bracers need to stand out a little more, they look like tattoos.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    God that WW costume is nice. Also Munch that Wasp costume definitely works, it's so high fashion it hurts. If anything the scarf needs to be bigger.

huntresssig.jpg
    Ant-man looks like the Rocketeer with a different helmet.

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    I was just about to say that. I like the Eric O'Grady outfit the best though the Lang costume is very interesting for those reasons Munch pointed out.

I think WW would do nothing but trip in that costume.

steam_sig-400.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I don't see it as a fully time costume, but I always liked the stories of Diana acting as an ambassador, and that would be something she would wear to an event or something.

Mainly I thought it was a really well drawn picture of WW.