As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat]Easy

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If you don't think the civilized world is 98% based on privilege you are out of your fucking mind.

nothing else really matters and it is hilaaarious.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    _J_ wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    it might seem- to someone middle or upper class- that the poor and disadvantaged kids have it 'easy' with financial aid... but that's only true at the few very, very generous schools in the country- and they all have commensurate levels of selectivity in their admissions. yeah, harvard, upenn, and stanford make sure all kids coming from an income <50k get a full ride with no loans... but do you know how many kids from my background go to those schools? it's almost statistically negligible.

I think something like 20% of Stanford students receive financial aid. So it's not a negligible fraction. But, that still means that 80% of them do not, which means in turn that 80% of them come from households with at least six figure incomes (Stanford's cutoff point for charging tuition). This is massive overrepresentation, statistically. So your point still stands--clearly, privilege is working out pretty well for those that have it.

I think what's pissing me off is my preconception that we had FAFSA to offset the privilege that wealthy students have, at least in terms of raw fees. But if someone literally has nothing, why the shit is the cap so low?

yup. the reality is that for a lot of kids, cost is a huge factor in education. i think the popular perception is 'is it prudent for me to borrow X amount of money for Y education?'

when really, for a huge number of people, getting that quantity of loans isn't even possible. they could choose today to work every job the university offers, borrow every cent they'll allow etc, and if they don't get into a top 50 university with good financial aid, they might not be able to go to a four year university at all. a lot of gap years aren't about backpacking in europe- they're about saving money to afford tuition.

Organichu on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    @Jacobkosh, should I pick up ME3, or get the ME2 DLCs?

get the DLCs, they're really good and all of them have now folded into my me3 experience, sometimes in seriously significant ways

is there anything you need to do in 2 to give you a benefit in 3, not like decisions to make but upgrading something or collecting resources? I remember in 1 if you had a lot of money you got extra money in 2, like that sort of thing

all of them

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    it might seem- to someone middle or upper class- that the poor and disadvantaged kids have it 'easy' with financial aid... but that's only true at the few very, very generous schools in the country- and they all have commensurate levels of selectivity in their admissions. yeah, harvard, upenn, and stanford make sure all kids coming from an income <50k get a full ride with no loans... but do you know how many kids from my background go to those schools? it's almost statistically negligible.

I think something like 20% of Stanford students receive financial aid. So it's not a negligible fraction. But, that still means that 80% of them do not, which means in turn that 80% of them come from households with at least six figure incomes (Stanford's cutoff point for charging tuition). This is massive overrepresentation, statistically. So your point still stands--clearly, privilege is working out pretty well for those that have it.

I think what's pissing me off is my preconception that we had FAFSA to offset the privilege that wealthy students have, at least in terms of raw fees. But if someone literally has nothing, why the shit is the cap so low?

yup. the reality is that for a lot of kids, cost is a huge factor in education. i think the popular perception is 'is it prudent for me to borrow X amount of money for Y education?'

when really, for a huge number of people, getting that quantity of loans isn't even possible. they could choose today to work every job the university offers, borrow every cent they'll allow etc, and if they don't get into a top 50 university with good financial aid, they might not be able to go to a four year university at all. a lot of gap years aren't about backpacking in europe- they're about saving money to afford tuition.

Great. Now I'm pissed off about something I previously didn't care about.

This is going to end well.

ok i am getting all of these practice questions right. i think i am ready for this test. i am gonna take a break and then just do a final brush up monday night.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    i'm not kidding

nearly everything you do in 1 & 2 matters in 3

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    jesus. the day my phone is dead all day is the day my mom's in a car accident

at least she's okay

Better than your mom being dead and your phone being in a car accident.

ah _J_ i've missed you so

Pony wrote: »
    i'm not kidding

are you talking about decisions or collecting resources/upgrades?

i'm not kidding

which is why I am pissed that I couldn't play 2 because I lost my save game from 1 and didn't want to restart from 1.

so pissed.

steam_sig.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

get the DLCs, they're really good and all of them have now folded into my me3 experience, sometimes in seriously significant ways

is there anything you need to do in 2 to give you a benefit in 3, not like decisions to make but upgrading something or collecting resources? I remember in 1 if you had a lot of money you got extra money in 2, like that sort of thing

yes. in fact, as one example
    that exact thing happens. if you get a lot of resources in 2, that will help your war readiness score in 3.

rRwz9.gif
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    i'm not kidding

are you talking about decisions or collecting resources/upgrades?

both

rRwz9.gif
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Midnight run!

Not the movie.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited March 2012

yes. in fact, as one example
    that exact thing happens. if you get a lot of resources in 2, that will help your war readiness score in 3.

wrex was my numero uno amigo in ME1.

i wanted to continue that trend without replaying mass effect. that's all i wanted.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    alright thanks I was planning on doing a completionist run

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    yeah unfortunately it's not something that is explained all that well. either people make too much money to even seek financial aid or they went into school at 18 and their parents sort of handled all the scary papers and promissory notes and all that jazz. it's crazy how many kids say like 'ok, so what if fafsa gives me 8k... what's the MOST i could try to get from fafsa the next year?'

but i am trying to stress about it less in general. thankfully my community college is cheap and so i can afford it with almost no loans at all until i transfer. i'll cross the bridge when i come to it.

but i sure hope i get into a top school that will meet my need! it'd suck to like, work three jobs and take out personal loans and suck dicks and whatever other sort of malarkey i'd have to do just to get a less-than-top-notch education.

I was definitely in the 'my parents took care of everything' camp. And thank god for that too, because I definitely did not have my shit together. Privilege is great, it turns out! And the moral of the story is: our system is rotten.

A consoling note: long ago in one of my classes we discussed a study to the effect that students who 1) are admitted to both fancy private and state schools and 2) choose state schools on the basis of cost, tend to in the long run even out their earnings with those who went to the fancy private schools. This suggests that student aptitude and engagement is a powerful predictive factor in future career success, and that fancy schools often have great stats more because they get to pick the best students than because they actually make those students good. So, the uplifting moral is something like--you can get a great education lots of places. It's just that some of them will hold your hand less as you do it.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Also Chu, I'd totes recommend finding out if your school has a programming team. Mine did and I was like eff that, I'm not coming in on weekends to practice, but all the people I've been friends with that were on it moved onto some dope careers. Like, one interned over summer at facebook and got hired straight out after the summer without finishing his degree, which is p cray, since in general no large company will even think about giving you a full time job without one or a silly amount of experience to make up for it. Dunno how much of an impact the team had with it, but it's a common thread.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDe9lKn040U
    seriously. how do i find more music like this. and the stuff from the Sims.

i love it.

It's called Exotica, and it's usually lumped in with lounge music.

And:

chinatown_xl_03-film-a.jpg

edited March 2012
    yeah unfortunately it's not something that is explained all that well. either people make too much money to even seek financial aid or they went into school at 18 and their parents sort of handled all the scary papers and promissory notes and all that jazz. it's crazy how many kids say like 'ok, so what if fafsa gives me 8k... what's the MOST i could try to get from fafsa the next year?'

but i am trying to stress about it less in general. thankfully my community college is cheap and so i can afford it with almost no loans at all until i transfer. i'll cross the bridge when i come to it.

but i sure hope i get into a top school that will meet my need! it'd suck to like, work three jobs and take out personal loans and suck dicks and whatever other sort of malarkey i'd have to do just to get a less-than-top-notch education.

I was definitely in the 'my parents took care of everything' camp. And thank god for that too, because I definitely did not have my shit together. Privilege is great, it turns out! And the moral of the story is: our system is rotten.

A consoling note: long ago in one of my classes we discussed a study to the effect that students who 1) are admitted to both fancy private and state schools and 2) choose state schools on the basis of cost, tend to in the long run even out their earnings with those who went to the fancy private schools. This suggests that student aptitude and engagement is a powerful predictive factor in future career success, and that fancy schools often have great stats more because they get to pick the best students than because they actually make those students good. So, the uplifting moral is something like--you can get a great education lots of places. It's just that some of them will hold your hand less as you do it.

nice!

yeah, i've heard that a bunch.

my only concern is that at a less prestigious school (re: one less inclined to provide generous aid) i'd have a literally insurmountable barrier to entry. i'm confident i could extract a good value from a state school if it turns out i can afford it.

but i will keep my chin up and hope. :3

Organichu on
    Thom that reference misses me completely.

i feel real bad about that.

steam_sig.png
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Also Chu, I'd totes recommend finding out if your school has a programming team. Mine did and I was like eff that, I'm not coming in on weekends to practice, but all the people I've been friends with that were on it moved onto some dope careers. Like, one interned over summer at facebook and got hired straight out after the summer without finishing his degree, which is p cray, since in general no large company will even think about giving you a full time job without one or a silly amount of experience to make up for it. Dunno how much of an impact the team had with it, but it's a common thread.

i will look into this! i dunno if my community college has one but maybe i can start one. president of programming club might look nice on a transfer app. :D

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    ME3 is so far awesome.

It is making me wish that I had played ME1 though. :?

ME3 Multi is pretty much required it seems, which actually isn't that bad since it is pretty fun. I did my first one this morning and my Adept went from lvl 1 to lvl 6 in one match. Best part was that I held my own amongst my team of 11-13 lvl players. I got the 25kills, 25assists, and a couple other medals, so I was pretty happy. Only hit the dirt one time too.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Also, and I cannot overstate this enough: if you want to look like a good student, then do the reading, spend some time preparing questions and comments about it, and then go to office hours to talk about it. Unless you are just so hopeless that your questions and comments reliably suck despite your best efforts (which is fine, but if so this class is not one you should look to for a recommendation), doing this will immediately set you apart from the vast majority of other students, and in a good way.

edited March 2012
    Honestly if I could go back and change any single thing about my undergraduate career, I would choose to have gone to more office hours. They are very valuable. And yet students just don't go. Of course, I can understand why not. But now that I am at least a bit older and wiser, I see what a mistake that is (and was for me!)

MrMister on
    yeah professors love it when you look like you care and actually try

Also, and I cannot overstate this enough: if you want to look like a good student, then do the reading, spend some time preparing questions and comments about it, and then go to office hours to talk about it. Unless you are just so hopeless that your questions and comments reliably suck despite your best efforts (which is fine, but if so this class is not one you should look to for a recommendation), doing this will immediately set you apart from the vast majority of other students, and in a good way.

This.

The majority of one's education is what one puts into it. If you show up, do the work, talk to the professors, and put forth a wealth of engaged effort that will pay off in the long run with letters of recommendation and learning the material.

It's the damndest thing.

i will probably engage my classes very much

because i fucking hate where i live and optimally once school starts i will be spending 12 hours a day not-here

edited March 2012

It's the damndest thing.

edit: new auto quote-pruning makes this not work so well.

MrMister on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

It's from Chinatown. And it wasn't aimed at you.

Thomamelas wrote: »

It's from Chinatown. And it wasn't aimed at you.

but! :(

steam_sig.png
    Well it took me 4 hours, but I've crafted a non-shitty question for tomorrow.

Woo forum distractions.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Hello folks. I am at work not playing ME3 :(

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Roar I have a bone to pick with you mister!

Also has anyone

Mass Effect 1 spoiler
    not spared the Rachni Queen

and see how it affects ME3?

Uh oh what did I do now?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Uh oh what did I do now?

Thanks to your meddling and encouraging words and ways I have a date tomorrow.

You monster.

:P

Inquisitor wrote: »
    Uh oh what did I do now?

Thanks to your meddling and encouraging words and ways I have a date tomorrow.

You monster.

:P

Hah! Peer Pressure works!

chapter 3.

in which DUE teaches the first person who broke up with him how to handle a break-up.

steam_sig.png
    I got a soda machine for christmas. Just mixed up a liter of red bull. Now it is time to work all fucking night on this paper.

Also, I cannot stop listening to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Rd1LbrJxs

This discussion has been closed.