As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EverQuest 2] Now Fully F2P, no more silly splitting of the population!

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Technically stamina is still useful for all, but yes they have really slimmed down the necessary stats for each class. There are also other stats like crit mit, crit bonus, multi-attack etc. so there are still various things to use, but yeah the primary stats are vastly simplified now, and I like the change. Balancing STR, AGI and INT on my SK was such a pain.

steam_sig.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    Nice to see good numbers for them, now they just have to make it stick. I'm enjoying the game with my group of friends, but we'll see how long it holds the interest of everybody.

steam_sig.png
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I decided to give this a run as F2P and may ask some friends to join up.

Any recommendations? Started as a Cleric first off because I figured they would be needed at points.

• buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    I'd reccommend running as an Inquisitor, Rysk. Better damage and soloability than Templars (the other cleric), and in fact, they are one of the better soloers in the game, but are also well needed in groups and raids as well. You can be a good or 'evil' inquisitor now, so pick whatever city floats your boat.

Betray to templar later on if all you do is single heal tough 6-mans in DoV, otherwise stay Inquisi.

Assuming F2P allows for AA points:
    Put 21 AA points into Inquisitor Tree. Use 20 points to turn your spells into Melee abilities and the last point to get Battle Cleric.
    Then go Biship STR line with AAs to keep you from being interrupted when casting heals/debuffs.
    Then when you can, at 50th, get Litany of Combat from the Shadow Tree. Now you are a combat god. Enjoy conquering Norrath.

Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    They allow AA points (in fact, 50% of your exp gain goes toward them and you can't stop it. PITA, tbh), just not all the trees.

Hmm. Guessing Shadow Trees and Heroics? DOF and EOF are old enough I'd expect you'd get to spendpoints in them. Battle Cleric +STR and STA line (Cleric) are enough to feel pretty mighty.

Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Well I have a friend I've (hopefully) conned into giving this a go with. He's playing a warlock so whatever we can duo with.

I do get AA points (since I hit 10 last night and started gaining them). I may/probably will re-roll or even pick up one of the paid classes/races. What would combo good for duo-ing with a warlock?

edited January 2012
    Warlock? Shadowknight. Both of you deal with disease damage, so the debuffs help each other equally. You both deal great AoE damage. You keep the mobs on you, he helps nuke them into puddles of goo you can offer up to Bertoxxulous.

buddylee on
    Hmmm, that sounds like not half a bad idea.

Costs dollas though. And I think we'd have to restart, since he rolled up in GFay.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Shadow knight might be worth the dollas tho. I created one as my first character when I got into eq2 about a year and a half ago and it is a blast to play.

It is not a class that is highly sought after in the end game. There are a lot of SKs out there and many of them are terrible, and some design decisions they made in Velious made them into kind of squishy tanks, but for duoing and small group content I think they're about as good as it gets.

Also you can go back and stomp old raid content for fun, a combination of reasonable dps output, moderate self-healing and the ability to bypass stuff via feign all adds up. :)

Are Crusaders premium classes? Well, if you want to stay GFay and stay free, how about a Swashbuckler? You can both AoE very well, and you can take some heat off him. Swashys solo great, so I can imagine a duo will do just fine.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but for anyone on the fence about AoD purchase, it is entirely worth the price of admission just based on Mercenaries alone. If you duo, solo a lot or are not doing a lot of end-game stuff, having a Merc along opens up so many options.

They add valuable dps, heals, buffs, whatever you need. It makes leveling a hell of a lot easier. Plus, if you like to solo/small group well off the beaten path these days (ie, like I do, in Nek Castle, Cazic Thule, Sol's Eye, or Silent City), it makes it possible to do.

It's not that Antonia Bayle is low pop, on the contrary, its very busy - but the content has expanded and there are a lot of places people can go, and many stick to the newer Golden Path content in a headlong rush to 90. Mercs help a lot. Now I can seriously consider leveling a Troubador, Templar, Berzerker, etc, without wondering how the solo times are going to be spent.

Not sure how worthwhile Mercs are for F2P players. Since you can't sell junk on the auction house your money intake is a lot lower, so "a few gold an hour" is actually a pretty substantial amount.

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    So I played this game at launch and loved it

my question is two parts

1.) is it still recognizable as what it was at launch (rad, imo) 2.) is there any valid way to play this and enjoy it in a legit sense without spending cashdollars on micropurchases

reposig.jpg
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    fart, double post

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, you can play it just fine with a fully F2P account (though getting the one-off Silver purchase is well worth it, IMO). The money and bag restrictions are annoying, but not a dealbreaker. Plus, if you've played it at release then the immense bag size increase since will more than compensate for the bag slot restrictions (you can buy ~40 slotters off the auction house relatively cheaply after you've gotten some money).

Glal on
  • HammerHorrorHammerHorror Registered User regular
    If you played at launch, don't forget to type /claim for each of your characters - they probably have a lot of stuff waiting for them.

Just pay attention to the item type- if it's 1 per account you probably don't want to grab that unless you're really sure that's your character.

Who is around that may be able to put a guild tag up for me and my pal? We're mostly just looking for people who may be able to help/provide advice about where to go. We're mucking through on our owns at this point.

• HardKaseHardKase Registered User regular
    How bad are the skill restrictions in this game for the f2p accounts?

Steam ID: HardKAse@hardkase.cjb.net (yes I was drunk when I created it)
    HardKase wrote:
    How bad are the skill restrictions in this game for the f2p accounts?

I believe Silver is restricted to Expert level as max, with any already known Masters being allowed to stay, so the skill restrictions are minimal. The important ones are the money, gear and broker restrictions really.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah not having a broker is kind of a pain. Only been gear restricted once thus far and I'm level 18.

You can still buy off the broker, you just can't sell on it. Oh, and you can't buy directly from people's homes so you can't avoid the broker fee.

Oh, well I guess I misunderstood.

Still, I'm so limited on the coin I can earn it would be nice to broker some stuff (even if I only had 1-2 slots).

Isn't there a Station Cash option to make a one-time purchase to open up broker slots?

I believe they will sell you a token that lets you sell a specific item on the broker, which seems like some real silly goosery to me. I didn't read into it very close, but if the token is for opening a broker slot that would be more acceptable.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, no, we can't buy off the broker without tokens either.

Good thing my bud can make some bags.

Are you Bronze or Silver? I'm Silver and can buy from broker freely (not that I have the cash to buy much, but at least I can get bags).

I think he wanted to sell.

There are other ways to make coin other than the broker, but its more PITA.

Of course, once you have bags you are all set for leveling, since I rarely ever spend a lot on anything leveling up. Quest provide most of what I need. Guildies can always craft you spell upgrades.

I have yet to have any feedback on an Antonia Bayle guild I could join.

Also: I am bronze. So I can't buy anything. I will be able to craft upgrades for my Berserker pal since I just specialized Alchemy (I figure potions will help us duo pretty good since we are lacking healing).

Fandyien wrote:
    So I played this game at launch and loved it

my question is two parts

1.) is it still recognizable as what it was at launch (rad, imo) 2.) is there any valid way to play this and enjoy it in a legit sense without spending cashdollars on micropurchases

1) Yes and no. Yes, the style and general gameplay are the same. If you loved it then, you'll like that stuff now. But no, in the sense that the game is generally 'easier' due to a number of conveniences and changes over time. Heroic dungeons that were tougher at launch are now capable of being duo'd. You no longer need to worry about guild level decay. A lot of mob pathing that made life tough (ie Nektulos) have been moved back from major roads. There a lot of fast travel options. Better spell upgrade options. AAs make you more powerful, etc. Personally, I loved it at launch, but prefer it now as it is. Quests chains and so forth also make a lot more sense and the general gameplay will gear you up pretty well on questing alone. So yes, its the same game you enjoyed and recognizably so, but bigger, vaster and more convenient in many ways.

If you are on a gold account, you will need nothing from the SC store to enjoy the game. Except for appearance items/fluff, nothing in the SC store has any real impact on the game. You can get all the stuff you need and want through gameplay. If you are on silver, you may make a couple purchases here and there to make life easier (ie, unlocking some things that are normally restricted on Silver). But nothing is absolutely necessary.

PS, Freeport got a drastic overhaul, looks hella lot better, is now all ONE BIG ZONE and has quests for folks to do from level 20 to 80 (they scale to level and are fun and interesting). Only fly in the ointment is the old newbie neighborhoods (ie, Begger's Court) are now off-limit quest-only instances, so if you liked hanging out in them, they are not freely available any more, you need a quest. The new quests all support the lore for the Overlord's return and the changes that followed. Qeynos will get a similar treatment come this summer, as well.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Can anyone advise me if the new expansion is worth getting ? From what I've read, there's nothing new regarding new questlines, but as a soloer the addition of mercenaries is tempting, and the new player-made dungeons sound like fun.

Can anyone give me a brief review ?

I've just resubbed, and am only missing the last expansion.

Age of Discovery is kind of a weird expansion in that it didn't add any new areas or anything. I don't think it's worth the full $40 price tag, but I waited for a double station cash weekend and used the 2000 points for $15 Walmart card to get it for $15 and I think it is worth that. It adds the mercenaries, which make levelling just way more convenient. It also adds the tradeskill apprentices, which aren't really critical but are nice to have and can rarely end up giving you a very valuable item (1100 plat on my server for a Colossal Reactant). Another thing it adds is it lets you spend up to 320 AA instead of 300, which isn't necessarily a big deal depending on your class. The biggest feature of the expansion, though, is the Beastlord class. They are currently pretty darn overpowered, and due for a nerf sometime in the next few months, but they are fun to play and have a short series of quests you do as you level that are all their own.

In my opinion, the expansion is worth $15-20, but not the full $40 they list it for.

steam_sig.png
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Age of Discovery is kind of a weird expansion in that it didn't add any new areas or anything. I don't think it's worth the full $40 price tag, but I waited for a double station cash weekend and used the 2000 points for $15 Walmart card to get it for $15 and I think it is worth that. It adds the mercenaries, which make levelling just way more convenient. It also adds the tradeskill apprentices, which aren't really critical but are nice to have and can rarely end up giving you a very valuable item (1100 plat on my server for a Colossal Reactant). Another thing it adds is it lets you spend up to 320 AA instead of 300, which isn't necessarily a big deal depending on your class. The biggest feature of the expansion, though, is the Beastlord class. They are currently pretty darn overpowered, and due for a nerf sometime in the next few months, but they are fun to play and have a short series of quests you do as you level that are all their own.

In my opinion, the expansion is worth $15-20, but not the full $40 they list it for.

Thanks for the reply - I think I'll do the same as you, and wait for a double station points weekend. Or I can wait a few months, and let my free 500sp a month build up.

Or I'll cave in, in a moment of weakness, and just buy it. :D

• NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    I wish I would have thought about buying the game on a double station cash weekend that wasn't too long ago. So clever ... and I feel so stupid >_<

Still thinking about picking this back up one day. I miss the everquest world. It was awesome.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Hey, is anyone still playing? I'm thinking about picking this back up (played briefly years ago) since none of the other MMOs are really doing it for me right now.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Nyht wrote: »
    I wish I would have thought about buying the game on a double station cash weekend that wasn't too long ago. So clever ... and I feel so stupid >_<

Still thinking about picking this back up one day. I miss the everquest world. It was awesome.

I loved the world, at least from when I played EQ1 and the couple of months I played of EQ2. I liked it enough to buy the 10th anniversary art book, it had some really cool stories and such about the development of both games and it really gave me the urge to resub to 1 (which I did for about 4-5 months and played it at work)

JtgVX0H.png
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Oh wow, this thread kicked back up again. Nice.

Yeah, triple station cash for halloween, and probably a pretty high multiplier for Christmas / Black Friday.

I've been playing again recently. Game is extremely easy to level in now, although as a Silver account I'm stuck on 50% AA, which is HORRIBLE. I'm going to hit the AA cap long before I hit the level cap. But if I'm lucky, the game will shift to 100% EXP at that time.

I'm actually stuck trying to think of what tradeskill to take on my Beastlord main. I'm torn between Armor/Weapon crafting (gear upgrades as I level), Provisioning (food/drink consumables), Woodworking (Throwing Weapons), or Jewelry (skillbooks and rings/earrings/bracelets/etc), or maybe even Tailoring (bags).