As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[XBLA] Thread - Monaco out soon, DuckTales HD this summer.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    anyone tried i am alive yet? i'm grabbing the demo but it looks pretty good

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    anyone tried i am alive yet? i'm grabbing the demo but it looks pretty good

From this week's Bombcast discussion, it sounds like it's really bad but with a lot of neat ideas

I was just expecting really bad, so this is a somewhat pleasant surprise. I'll grab the demo

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Grabbed the demo, found it interesting enough to buy the full game. "Really bad with a lot of neat ideas" is pretty spot on.

The thing that is a horrible stupid dumb idea is the whole stamina thing. This monotone guy has been walking across the country for almost a whole year. He should be in shape enough to be able to climb something for longer than 30 seconds.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    The Eurogamer review actually really liked it. It did say there were some bad moves, but sounds like if you can get past them, then it's a really good game.

forumsig.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I played the demo last night. Another vote for "great idea; poor execution". You really find yourself wanting to like it.

I actually thought the stamina thing was a neat idea. What I don't like is the idea that sections of the game will force you to drain your max stamina, and only allow you to recover it through semi-rare consumables.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Grabbed the demo, found it interesting enough to buy the full game. "Really bad with a lot of neat ideas" is pretty spot on.

The thing that is a horrible stupid dumb idea is the whole stamina thing. This monotone guy has been walking across the country for almost a whole year. He should be in shape enough to be able to climb something for longer than 30 seconds.

There's quite a bit of difference between walking and climbing. Hell, I can do my kick box class for an hour and a half but good luck getting me climbing more then 15 minutes.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I really wanted to like the demo too, and played through twice to see if I could change things.

The second time there was a woman with a gun who I backed away from the first time, and this time I thought maybe SHE was bluffing. She wasn't and shot me.

And the rest of the demo was spent with it being IMPOSSIBLE to see or hear anything at all as there was no consumables around, I had used the other ones when I was "supposed to", and the effect of low health is blurry, muffled everything.

So, I would say from a game developer standpoint, that was a challenge that was ignored. A gun shot should be very bad, and make things very difficult, and have reprocussions. But instead it just made the game kind of unplayable.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I really want to play I Am Alive. I love the concept... but man, people really aren't into it. I'm thinking it might be best to save the $15 and put it towards something like Dear Esther or Pixeljunk Eden on PC, the ME 3 DLC, or Overland, which I haven't gotten around to yet.

"The Last of Us" will probably do it better. I'll try to give this one another shot at some point, but I'll probably just delete it from my HD and forget about it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    eh, i bought it because i'm a sucker for games like this, and the demo seemed solid. hope the game is fun enough that i beat it atleast once.

eh, i bought it because i'm a sucker for games like this, and the demo seemed solid. hope the game is fun enough that i beat it atleast once.

I feel like we post in the same threads. Play the same games.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:

There's quite a bit of difference between walking and climbing. Hell, I can do my kick box class for an hour and a half but good luck getting me climbing more then 15 minutes.

Just to add to this, I've been climbing tonight and was seeing (out of curiosity) how long I could continually climb for. Four hard climbs (12m per climb) was about my limit, saying at a max 1 minute per climb. But I've been climbing for a good few years now. 30 seconds is a pretty reasonable time to get pooped!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    Well... Its not a fun mechanic in this game! :P

edited March 2012
    Well... Its not a fun mechanic in this game! :P

I have someone who wishes to argue with you
    Shadow-of-the-Colossus.jpg

Well it seems I can't post an image in a spoiler, or at least it doesn't show on my PC, but SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    I love SotC! Did the guy have a fast draining stamina bar though? I don't remember that.

• mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    I love SotC! Did the guy have a fast draining stamina bar though? I don't remember that.

Depended on if you grabbed lizards.

And as far as fast draining stamina, it really only goes fast if you have to make big leaps across things while climbing. You also get Pitons later that you can plant while climbing to regenerate your stamina in the midst of climbing. Which is nice.

Granted it is certainly weird when I'm climbing and I'm like, shit I won't make it! I best open this can of fruit cocktail if I want to survive mid climb.

Still. It isn't bad. You just need to see the further areas of it I suppose. Maybe. Or something.

...I bought and like this game..

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    mastrius wrote:
    Granted it is certainly weird when I'm climbing and I'm like, shit I won't make it! I best open this can of fruit cocktail if I want to survive mid climb.

That pretty much sums it up. Their philosophy is to be gritty and realistic and make it all about survival, but what happens is that that annoying little bar drains and your character magically receives a boost because of one of the dozens of items you have stuffed in your inventory.

I want to use this occasion to vent: I can hardly play this game, but I accept that that may just be me. One may think it's a good game, that's entirely a matter of opinion and I'm happy for whoever can enjoy it. If one thinks it's a very good game, that's still a matter of opinion, albeit a questionable one. If a game reviewer gives it a PERFECT score - or anything beyond an eight on a ten point scale - which I have seen happen twice now, that's plain irresponsible. That's not doing their job and comprehensively and intricately inform the reader about the product. Whatever floats your boat, but there are deep cutting mistakes in that game.

i like that it's pretty open for a game like this, dislike the GIANT SWATHES OF UNAVOIDABLE FOG. especially since it's hard to see where you are going sometimes and only have a map to go on.
    other than that i really dig most of the mechanics and the story, and really enjoy being rewarded with more retries for helping the injured. it is a fun game that probably would have been better if they just left the stamina bar off... but even then all the game is still doable, it just takes some trial and error (the first encounter with enemies i almost wasted all my retries before i figured out the pattern for taking them out).

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Starting next month (April 2012) all new Xbox LIVE Arcade games will have the option to increase from 200 to 400 Gamerscore points, with the addition of up to 30 Achievements. Even better, this Gamerscore increase will be required in all new Xbox LIVE Arcade games starting in June 2012.

Shoot Many Robots is pretty good! Its definitely geared towards Coop, but its totally doable solo. There's little story to speak of other than you're a redneck guy with a ton of weapons who's been ready for the robot apocalypse for a long time. Plus there's Diablo style loot! And the loot descriptions are hilarious.

Its a 2.5D side scrolling shooter, and controls decently. The only issue I have is with the aiming being a little janky. You use the left stick to move and aim and X to shoot. Itd feel more comfortable if aiming was handled with RS and RT shoots. But whatevs, its only 800 points and I highly recommend it.

I bought it without trying the demo first because in the photo gallery the guy had a Fruit Fucker on his head. Dunno if its an enemy or gear, but that was enough for me. Plus, I randomly had a ton of MS points I didn't buy...

i too got 400 points from MS for some reason, so i picked up shoot many robots.

it's literally co-op metal slug, but your character has more than an inch of health. it's very fast-paced and fun in co-op, with some levels POURING robots at you in endless hordes. the weapon variety is nice, and the controls feel great (sliding, ground-pounding, etc, all cool). the items you equip having different effects on damage/character stats is great, i have a sniper that doles out 550 damage and has 2X damage on crits. with my explosive barrel and rocket launcher combo i can clear a room in seconds.

the fruit-fucker is actually a hat you can buy, and the lil guy humps the shit out of your face and head (LOL). there are other game references and generally funny items/weapons. i am very pleased with this purchase and have already convinced someone else to buy it.

It came out of nowhere too. I hadn't heard anything about this game until I saw a banner on the PA main page on Wednesday. I've been playing it in little spurts because of ME3, but I'm going to sink some significant time into it this weekend.

I think a piece of gear might be offering some insight into how the Robocalypse started. I unlocked a helmet that is just one of the standard chainsaw robots, and its description is something like:

"WiFi Chainsaw Robots downloading pictures of puppies in a lightning storm can have dire consequences."

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Shoot Many Robots is pretty good! Its definitely geared towards Coop, but its totally doable solo. There's little story to speak of other than you're a redneck guy with a ton of weapons who's been ready for the robot apocalypse for a long time. Plus there's Diablo style loot! And the loot descriptions are hilarious.

Is it Diablo style tho? I was watching some gameplay and it looked like you find the item, pay to unlock it and then it's in your equipment menu forever. You just change what you go into a level with. Are there multiple types of the same item like with different stats and whatnot?

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Is it Diablo style tho? I was watching some gameplay and it looked like you find the item, pay to unlock it and then it's in your equipment menu forever. You just change what you go into a level with. Are there multiple types of the same item like with different stats and whatnot?

Yes

Like the shotgun, Standard is just called Lulu, but then you can get stuff like Buckshot Lulu which has increased damage and a knockback effect.

There's other modifiers like "Ninja" which increases your jumping ability and melee damage, and "Frenzied"(I think) which increases weapon damage and crit%

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I agree with everything about Shoot Many Robots. I played it at NYCC last year and was meh about it. Played the demo tonight and I just had so much fun. I want to buy it, but I just bought Torchlight since it is cheaper. If I had people to play SMR with, I would put out to get it.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I agree with everything about Shoot Many Robots. I played it at NYCC last year and was meh about it. Played the demo tonight and I just had so much fun. I want to buy it, but I just bought Torchlight since it is cheaper. If I had people to play SMR with, I would put out to get it.

i'll play dude, and i have a friend who has it too. let's team up and throw down on some bots.

redfield85 wrote: »

i'll play dude, and i have a friend who has it too. let's team up and throw down on some bots.

I want to say late tonight (after Walking Dead and Talking Dead). About 10:30pm est or so.

Monday and Wednesday nights I have hockey, but other than that (and Friday afternoon hockey) I am free. PM me or something and let me know when!

Do our own personal stats/items come over from what we already played? Does the level system even mean anything besides unlocking new weapons?

bYf6vNQ.png
    i'll be on tonight for some games, i'll toss invites if i see you online.

the stats and gear from campaign do carry over to multi, it seems you can only have one 'dude' to level. it would be cool if you could start a new character, seems like once you hit lvl 50 that's it. and yeah, leveling only gates you from better weapons and gear. the kind of damage i can lay down now that i'm almost 50 is crazy.

still having a blast overall. i love metal slug, co-op, and unlocking things so this game hits all the right buttons for me.

Yea, I am really liking the game. I am sad that none of my friends listen to me when I tell them X game will be fun if at least 4 of us get it and they just flat out say NO.

I can't imagine how much you run through people at higher levels. I am running through mobs decently now and I am maybe level 10 or so.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    also: Costume Quest, Stacking & their DLCs are all 50% off
    some other stuff too, I'll fix the OP with the info tomorrow

Anyone play Sine Mora yet? Definitely eyeing it, and the reviews so far seem to be stellar.

So is Minecraft out today? I'm kinda interested in it since everyone seems to love it.

It's not, that I've heard of. I'm expecting a Summer of Arcade release.

forumsig.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Yikes, and here I was afraid that this thread had fallen off the face of the Earth.

Which would be a bad thing--it convinced me to buy Bloodrayne Betrayal after all.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Not having a PC, my expectations for Minecraft on the Xbox are astronomical. The amount of fun I've had solo on my phone with it has me really looking forward to interacting with others and a controller.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Anyone else picking up Sine Mora? The demo is awesome and the reviews are all outstanding for it. I guess if you're not into shmups it's not gonna be your thing but the game is absolutely beautiful and the demo gives you a long look at it. 3D support too.

The NeoGaf OT does it more justice than I can

Allforce on
  • Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    Yea, Sine Mora is great. A year or two ago they were getting fans to send in their own renditions of ship cannon fire. Wonder if it made it in anywhere.

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I've never enjoyed a schmup before, but I bought this before finishing the demo, and I'm loving it so far. I just hope it doesn't get too hard or frustrating, because I really want to see everything this game has to offer visually.