As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [mini-phalla] of Isaac: GAME OVER - VILLAGE VICTORY

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    B/C they didn't whittle us down enough for you to finish everyone off Langly?

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I was going to take it all the way!

2 wins as a serial killer!

It would be my crowning achievement!

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    How do you get SK so much!

Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited March 2012
    I've only gotten it one other time!

Langly on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    How do you get SK so much!

Typecasting.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Can we end early today?

If everyone votes before I head to work tonight, I'll end it early.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    Hey! Is langley dead or not!?!

Let's vig his dead body just to make sure.

stop putting an e in my name!

also yes I am dead blarg

the game is just over!

The network was crazy-strong this game.

I guess that's what happens with a mason + a called kill!

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular

It was actually much worse than that. Of the 4 specials, 3 of them had backups whom they were masoned with. We had a 5 person network on day 2.

@Kias get in here and vote.

• Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    It was actually much worse than that. Of the 4 specials, 3 of them had backups whom they were masoned with. We had a 5 person network on day 2.

Ahem, then why was I not invited? I enjoy parties.

Oh, also...o0o0oo0oooo0oo0ooo0ooo

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
    The network doesn't usually invite the mafia to their proboards :P

MrTLicious wrote:

@Kias get in here and vote.

Wow I hope that the mafia got 2 unblockable kills each day or something ahah.

THAT'S SO MANY MASONS.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    Screw it. Final narration incoming.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    Day 6: To the victor go the spoils.

Devil's journal:

At last, the hour of my victory is at hand. The final holdout of Isaac's gang, my favorite of the group, Eve, was brought forth by my giddy minions. As the poor wretched creature yelled out "But my name's Bedlam! I swear!", my minions mocked her. They had worked hard for this day, and I was not about to disappoint them.

One last death to report. Apparently in the midst of all the celebrations, one of my lieutenants got careless and started spewing acid. An unlucky Mulligan by the name of ObiFett got caught in the spray, and met an untimely demise.

My victory is at hand. Let all see the strength of my empire....

The Dead:
    Bedlam - Eve - sacrificed to the Devil
    ObiFett - Mulligan - melted by acid

THE VILLAGE IS VICTORIOUS

Survivors:
    MrTLicious - Sloth
    Corvidae - Lust
    Capfalcon - Greed
    sportzboytjw - Charger
    Kias - Brain
    stever777 - Knight
    Assuran - Spitter

I'll post all the role PMs in a second and then an overview of the game from my vantage point. Both groups should unlock their proboards. Thanks for playing!

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Really Bedlam?! :evil:

You couldn't just let me survive my first phalla?
    <3

ObiFett on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Mafia boards should be unlocked:

http://tearswillsetusfree.proboards.com

Thanks for hosting, nirya! Was fun.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    edited March 2012
    Isaac:
    You are Issac, our protagonist and hero.
    As a boy, you and your MOM got along wonderfully, until she began hearing the voice of God. Ever since that day, she has begun to act differently, to the point where she is now attempting to sacrifice you. At the last second, you found a secret passageway into your basement. You have no idea where it leads, but that doesn’t matter. You would just like to live another night.

VC: Outnumber and defeat the denizens of the basement.

Special item: Monster Manual
    This strange and rather convenient book contains an image of every monster that could show up in the basement. You’ve figured out a way to use this to your advantage. Each night, you can take a look at a monster and discover its full name. YOU MAY TRADE YOUR ITEM WITH A MEMBER OF YOUR GROUP EACH NIGHT, BUT IF THAT MEMBER DIES WITH AN ITEM, IT IS GONE FOREVER.

Magdaline:
    You are Magdaline, the hearty heroine.
    Or rather, you aren’t really a heroine. Or a woman at all. You are in actuality just Isaac in a wig given to you by your MOM. But the monsters in the basement all don’t seem to notice the difference, so it works out.

Special item: Book of Shadows
    This wonderful item protects you or a partner from damage for a short while. Lucky for you, it’s able to recharge daily, so you’re able to use it once per day. YOU MAY TRADE YOUR ITEM WITH A MEMBER OF YOUR GROUP EACH NIGHT, BUT IF THAT MEMBER DIES WITH AN ITEM, IT IS GONE FOREVER.

Cain:
    You are Cain, the plucky plunderer.
    Unlike everyone else, you aren’t Isaac in a wig. Nope, you’re just Isaac in an eyepatch. You like to imagine it helps add to a rogueish persona that you’ve been developing down in the basement. And thank god the monsters down here can’t tell the difference. It makes it much easier to grab all the loot you can.

Special item: Money = Power
    This wonderful item lets you convert all the money you’ve collected into damage. But you also need to spend it as well. Thus it takes you a full day to collect enough money to do enough damage to kill someone. And unfortunately for you, you came down here with 0 coins, which means you have to start collecting on the first day. YOU MAY TRADE YOUR ITEM WITH A MEMBER OF YOUR GROUP EACH NIGHT, BUT IF THAT MEMBER DIES WITH AN ITEM, IT IS GONE FOREVER.

Judas:
    You are Judas, the Fez’d fortune-hunter.
    After a couple of days wandering around, Isaac located a hat in one of the random chests. Isaac liked the hat so much he never stopped wearing it, and thus Judas was born. Judas is much stronger than any of the other protagonists, but he balances it out by being extremely frail. A stiff breeze could take him out, so play carefully.

Special item: Book of Belial
    I would….I would put that down. That book is extremely powerful, and lets you kill whoever you would like. However, it needs to recharge after use. Unlike Cain, though, you get to use your book right away. Aren’t spacebar items just wonderful? YOU MAY TRADE YOUR ITEM WITH A MEMBER OF YOUR GROUP EACH NIGHT, BUT IF THAT MEMBER DIES WITH AN ITEM, IT IS GONE FOREVER.

Eve:
    You are Eve, the Devil’s daughter.
    Much like Magdaline, you are secretly just Isaac in a black wig. Unlike Magdaline, however, your wig was imbibed with special demonic powers. What those powers are? You have no idea, and frankly, you’re pretty afraid to find out. Although you’re pretty fearful of anything at this point.

Special item: Dead Bird
    This little guy is pretty clever. The Dead Bird moves quickly and stealthily, and can add or subtract a vote without anyone knowing. Sometimes, stealth is the best course of action. YOU MAY TRADE YOUR ITEM WITH A MEMBER OF YOUR GROUP EACH NIGHT, BUT IF THAT MEMBER DIES WITH AN ITEM, IT IS GONE FOREVER.
    Special power: Whore of Babylon
    Unlike the rest of the items, this one isn’t able to be traded between yourself and your teammates. The wig you wear marked you with a curse that can protect you from one monster attack. After that, your powers are doubled, even though you will most-likely become a target. Make the most of your situation. NOTE: This will not block the vote. The Devil giveth and the Devil taketh away.

???
    You are ???, the unborn.
    No one’s really sure what you are. Are you Isaac’s aborted brother? A twin that didn’t survive childbirth? A strange blue puppet? Whatever the case, you’re down here with the rest of the group, so you might as well join them in their fight for survival. But for you, this isn’t a fight for survival. It’s a fight to find belonging.

Special item: Deck of Cards
    The Deck of Cards is unique in its functions. You start out with four cards:
    The Fool: one-time roleblock.
    The High Priestess: one-time vigilante kill. This kill will go through guards.
    The Magician: one-time busdriver.
    The Wheel of Fortune: one-time vote manipulation (twice as powerful as Dead Bird)
    You only have one copy of each card to begin with, and when you use a card, it goes away. You may only use one card per day. In addition to choosing a card, you may also choose to draw a card. Drawing a card allows you to return a previously-used card to your hand. However, you may only draw each card once. For example, you could use Wheel of Fortune day one, draw a Wheel of Fortune day two, and use a Wheel of Fortune day three. At that point, you could no longer draw a new Wheel of Fortune.
    YOU MAY TRADE YOUR ITEM WITH A MEMBER OF YOUR GROUP EACH NIGHT, BUT IF THAT MEMBER DIES WITH AN ITEM, IT IS GONE FOREVER.

MOM:
    You are MOM.
    A loving adult in Isaac’s life, you were content to live a simple, quiet life spent raising your son. However, all that changed when you heard the voice of God, who demanded you sacrifice your own son to prove your devotion to him. After watching your son dive into the basement, you decided to follow him, and kill every last creature down there, all in the name of the Lord.

VC: Be the last survivor (and yes, this is an SK role). You are aligned with no side, and can only win when your basement is cleared of all life.

Power: The High Priestess
    God has tasked you with the sacrifice of your son, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t give you any help. As the High Priestess of the basement, you are able to rain death down on one person per day. Hitting powerful enemies first would be the most effective, but all must perish anyway.
    Power: Mom’s Heart
    People can think that attacking your body will cause you to die. But they’re wrong. Only by having your heart slain will you go down. This power will let you survive one kill attempt (not including the vote). After surviving, your powers become stronger, allowing you to kill two people a day instead of one.

Lust:
    You are Lust, one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

The Devil cast you and your compatriots down into the basement in an attempt to sway Isaac and his group towards evil. Of course, your group isn’t exactly the brightest, so you not only ended up separated, but decided that killing Isaac’s group would be much easier than forcing him to become evil. Luckily for you, you know of one other of your group, ________, who is Pride.

VC: Kill Isaac and his cohorts before they kill you.

Power: Seering.
    Being lustful of everyone meant that you follow them constantly in an attempt to be just like them. Each night you are allowed to follow one person and determine who they are. If you are killed and your partner Pride is still alive, this power passes to him.

Pride:
    You are Pride, one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

The Devil cast you and your compatriots down into the basement in an attempt to sway Isaac and his group towards evil. Of course, your group isn’t exactly the brightest, so you not only ended up separated, but decided that killing Isaac’s group would be much easier than forcing him to become evil. Luckily for you, you know of one other of your group, ________, who is Lust.

VC: Kill Isaac and his cohorts before they kill you

Gluttony:
    You are Gluttony, one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

The Devil cast you and your compatriots down into the basement in an attempt to sway Isaac and his group towards evil. Of course, your group isn’t exactly the brightest, so you not only ended up separated, but decided that killing Isaac’s group would be much easier than forcing him to become evil. Luckily for you, you know of one other of your group, ________, who is Envy.

Power: Guard.
    Being the biggest of the sins, you are able to take more hits than the rest of your group. Therefore, you may protect one person who is not yourself each night. If you die and your partner Lust is still alive, this power passes on to him.

Envy:
    You are Envy, one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

The Devil cast you and your compatriots down into the basement in an attempt to sway Isaac and his group towards evil. Of course, your group isn’t exactly the brightest, so you not only ended up separated, but decided that killing Isaac’s group would be much easier than forcing him to become evil. Luckily for you, you know of one other of your group, ________, who is Gluttony.

WRATH:
    You are Wrath, one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

The Devil cast you and your compatriots down into the basement in an attempt to sway Isaac and his group towards evil. Of course, your group isn’t exactly the brightest, so you not only ended up separated, but decided that killing Isaac’s group would be much easier than forcing him to become evil. Luckily for you, you know of one other of your group, ________, who is Sloth.

Power: Death.
    Being the most likely to fly into fits of violence, it falls on you to actually carry out your group’s murderous intentions, attacking anyone who gets in your way. Each night you are allowed to choose one person for death. If you die and your partner Sloth is still alive, then this power passes on to him.

Sloth:
    You are Sloth, one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

The Devil cast you and your compatriots down into the basement in an attempt to sway Isaac and his group towards evil. Of course, your group isn’t exactly the brightest, so you not only ended up separated, but decided that killing Isaac’s group would be much easier than forcing him to become evil. Luckily for you, you know of one other of your group, ________, who is Wrath.

Greed:
    You are Greed, one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

The Devil cast you and your compatriots down into the basement in an attempt to sway Isaac and his group towards evil. Of course, your group isn’t exactly the brightest, so you not only ended up separated, but decided that killing Isaac’s group would be much easier than forcing him to become evil. You decided to set up your residence in the shops and secret places of the dungeon, far away from the rest of your comrades.

Power: Vote Manipulation.
    You love money, which means you have a lot of it, which means it is easier for you to bribe certain unholy beings into misplacing a vote here or there. Each night you are able to add and subtract one vote. And yes, when I say “and”, I mean you can do both of those. Of course, you can choose to do only one of them if you want, but what’s the fun in that?

The Fallen:
    YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN TO MAKE A DEAL WITH THE DEVIL.

You feel the powers of darkness flowing through you. No longer are you a normal _______. No, you have become something much greater.

You have become The Fallen.

As the physical manifestation of the Devil in the basement, you have been tasked with the eradication of the Devil’s enemies. Namely, Isaac and his cohort. You are still a member of the village and retain the same VC as before.

Power: Vigilante.
    You are much stronger than any of the Devil’s lieutenants could even hope to be. Instead of their flimsy little blood-based attacks, you’re packing something much stronger. Laser stronger. Your kill is unblockable, so make it count.
    Power: Multiplication.
    The Devil has also imbued you with a much stouter constitution than mere monsters. It takes 3 hits to kill you, allowing you to take punishment in ways others may not suspect. You may also use one of your lives in an attempt to guard someone. If the guard is successful, you will take the hit for them and lose one of your extra lives, but if no one attacks the person you are guarding, you will retain all of your lives. The vote will kill you regardless of how many lives you have remaining.

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Yay Village! Though I would note that my votes for Langly and for Bedlam were right on the money throughout. I was wrong about Mr.T/Obi though, I admit. And stupid vig! I totally wasn't mafia and you should have known that! :P

Wow... hardcore SK role!

Walkerdog on MTGO
    so mad at the mafia ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok not really

you guys are the worst

Dang... all the specials/mafia were nuts... I was just a pawn!

Walkerdog on MTGO
    Wow, a pre-masoned village in a mini? We never stood a chance...

Here is a copy of the spreadsheet I was using throughout the game to keep track of everything:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Agkm7Cvu_oJGdGdpMVNzLVdMSU1CakMydDFPX0FUM0E&pli=1#gid=0

I have to say, both groups really kept to the theme of the game, which is failure. The mafia had a really good day one play, but after that, it all kind of went downhill. They left Kay around too long, which really hurt once the village seers started hitting. But they assumed Kay was just a mason (wrong) and then just bought that MrT was a neutral without even bothering to seer him.

Meanwhile, over in village special land, originally they were spread out to where they only knew one other person. Lucky for them, between kime calling his kill, Kay becoming verified by Taya's early death, and corvidae getting a seer off on MrT, they suddenly were all together. Even then, they were mostly taking shots in the dark and refused to act on information until Kay basically said "fuck it" and went after Cyth. It went all downhill for the mafia from there.

Finally, I'm wondering how differently the game would have gone had Langly not been killed in a hilarious way on the first day. Having another vig running around killing both sides would have been fun and definitely changed the game up.

I think a larger game with this theme would definitely be possible, since I did leave out a ton of other characters (horsemen of the apocalypse, bosses, etc) plus items that could have made for an incredibly fun game.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for playing and making my first time running a game as easy as possible!

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    edited March 2012
    Thanks running my first Phalla experience. I didn't do anything, but it was fun to be a part of!

ObiFett on
    ObiFett wrote: »

<3

Actually, that was me :P

I wanted you to experience everything in your first Phalla.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Herding cats is quite frustrating.

Also keeping stuff secret from the network boards because OH GOD can be stressful. But it worked out.

Making a point of being 'just a mason' was central to my ploy, as was telling any mafia suspects that 'I just can't figure this out :(:(:(' while setting up the vigbombs. We got a REALLY lucky seering on day 1 too.

But yeah. Managed to finger a few badguys through vote-analysis and gut feelings, and Ahava-wisdom. Then it sort of wrapped itself up. You have no idea how much I was wanting to scream at people the day after I died, and that plan to reveal to Bedlam and beg for Isaac's identity cropped up.

Great fun, though! And the game it's based on is awesome and you should all buy it. It's cheap!

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Oh.

Well, I probably deserved it since I was after you so much. ;-)

Thanks for giving me the full tour!

:D

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah Im disapointed that we underestimated Kay. Since I thoght he was just a mason and didnt know anyone else, then he wouldnt be able to sift through our cover roles as easily since everyone would be sending in roles. HAving the specials be sins didnt help things either since if we tried to claim to be special it would have looked fishy.

Definetly GRUDGE!ing MrT though. I felt bad for him being a "neutral" and having a special VC other than just survival and wanted to help from the start, so it never occured to any of us that he was full of shit.

Killing Langly was great though. He had two vote manipulation abilities andgot lucky that he fell within three votes. Of course doing that on day 1 scared everyone into bandwagons so we couldnt do it twice :S

Additionally: I definetly could have told you that multple masons are overpowered :rotate: They are in fact more powerfull than seers as long as they see it coming and can make an announcment in the witching hour.

Bedlam on
    Mafia proboards should be unlocked:

http://tearswillsetusfree.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general

Literally 45% of the posts are mine and things got real quiet when we started dropping off. So its less discusion and more Bedlam's insane ramblings.

I think I spent half of the time running this game just ready to yell at people. Obi I kinda forgave since it was his first time, but the mafia definitely had a chance if they just played smarter. Not killing Kay right away and not verifying MrT's story really did them in.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    If I remember right, there was one entire page on the Day 3(?) topic that was just Bedlam talking to himself. :lol:

Nirya wrote: »
    I think I spent half of the time running this game just ready to yell at people. Obi I kinda forgave since it was his first time, but the mafia definitely had a chance if they just played smarter. Not killing Kay right away and not verifying MrT's story really did them in.

Explain, please.

Because I need to learn.

Also I was surprised the mafia didn't make more of an attempt at the Devil room. If any special got it, it would have increased their power (mafia would have gotten a Battery while village would have just had the power increase), but it would kill anyone who tried it twice. I guess in smaller games, there's less of a need to test that out.

t70pctuqq2uv.png

<3
    Defiently wasnt me since I traded Cyth for his odd day kill and Smoove died unexpectedly with the even day kill. We didnt have a group kill.

<3
    Defiently wasnt me since I traded Cyth for his odd day kill and Smoove died unexpectedly with the even day kill. We didnt have a group kill.

Yeah, that was my bad, I assumed Mafia always had a group kill.

And yes Nirya, I think this game/theme is deep enough could easily be blown up into a main with a few tweaks (like for god's sake don't mason-pair all the village specials AND have them inherit their partner's powers on death. I mean seriously)

<3

Yeah, this was meant to kinda balance the groups while making you think about your items. In a bigger game, I would have given you guys a group kill as well.

t70pctuqq2uv.png