As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. ALL OF IT. DON'T ARGUE ABOUT DLC

• Trimble87Trimble87 Registered User regular
    Questions on mid game citadel content (spoilers!)
    Questions regarding when cerberus attacks the citadel and you find Ashe guard the Council/Udina. I am playing a 95% paragon which is my natural play style, but when Udina pulls his pistol on the Asari councilor I had to pull the renegade trigger and shoot him in the face. Just curious what happens in the cutscene if you don't shoot him yourself?

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Anyone give the Black Widow sniper rifle a go? just curious before I plunk down what is so far a considerable amount of credits.

Black Widow was the god king of sniper rifles in ME2. I assume its pretty much the same for ME3.

I mean, It better be for 200,000 fricken credits...

That was just the normal Widow.

The Black Widow is all that, but it fires three times before reloading instead of once.

• relgrelg Registered User new member
    Sorry if this was mentioned in a previous post, but the search function doesn't show anything talking about it.

Is it explained how the reapers just magically got back to the galaxy?
    I thought the only way back from dark space was by using the citadel as a relay. That was the whole point of ME1 since Sovereign stayed behind to open the relay when it was time again for the reapers to do their cleansing. Now they just show up and start blowing stuff up with out much explanation as to how. (I'm only a few hours in)

Is this ever explained?

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Out of interest, does the DLC character, or indeed the main game, ever explain the Collectors?
    Given what we know about Reapers from the ending, why were the Collectors even made? What purpose do they serve?
    They explain that in ME2.
    They're protheans. The reapers harvest races to use as their foot soldiers to harvest other races.
    Ending spoiler included
    I think you're massively missing my point.

There are no 'foot soldiers' left over from the hundreds of other cycles the Reapers have performed their ethnic cleansing upon. So what was it about the last cycle that made Catalyst decide he needed a Collector base as a failsafe?

The Human Reaper is somewhat explained from ME2, in that Catalyst basically says "yup, I ascend a species into a Reaper", but what isn't explained is why the Collectors even exist this cycle. Catalyst has an already functioning harvesting method.

The other big joke about the ending is how Catalyst is all "well, now you've reached the final stage I guess I can't be The Guy any more. It's your turn to be The Guy, Shepard". wut.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    relg wrote: »
    Sorry if this was mentioned in a previous post, but the search function doesn't show anything talking about it.

I thought the only way back from dark space was by using the citadel as a relay. That was the whole point of ME1 since Sovereign stayed behind to open the relay when it was time again for the reapers to do their cleansing. Now they just show up and start blowing stuff up with out much explanation as to how. (I'm only a few hours in)

Is this ever explained?

The value of the Citadel is as more than a relay, they can use it to control the relay network, it is naturally the hub for galactic civilization enabling them to cut off the head in one fell swoop and gather all the information on the civilization of the current cycle. It would have been a completely crippling surprise attack, as opposed to a mostly crippling less surprising attack. They can still get to the galaxy by conventional ftl, it just took them between 2 and 3 years to do so. See Arrival DLC, Shepard was able to delay them by a few months.
    By destroying the first relay they were going to reach

wilting on
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The idea was that by preventing them from taking the quick relay shortcut you delayed the invasion by a number of years. Not that it was impossible for them to get back, they just had to actually make the trip the old fashioned way.

Edit: and as above, the citadel itself was basically a trap. Make a nice convenient place for all the galactic civilizations to come hang out at so you can pop in on top of them and cut the heads off their leadership first thing.

akajaybay on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So I just finished ME3.

I'll say one thing: that was a god damn amazing ride. I shed tears at a number sections...(with pretty much a perfect paragon playthrough):
    Mordin was the worst one for that. You knew it was coming but when he actually dies...
    Legion, Thane...

And now it's over. And I feel like I need a hug.
    I haven't even hit the "post escapist" come down phase yet (which may not happen, because at the moment I'm just not wanting it to be "real" in the universe), I'm just feeling depressed about the ending. I figured Shepard more or less fell back in love Liara when she returned on Mars, and with everything they did together (seriously, BioWare stacked the deck for her heavily IMO)...but I wasn't planning on dying. After all that, and the good byes...I really really wanted to survive it - as myself - somehow, and have him retire with her - or go into seclusion or whatever. That part has left me feeling all emotionally drained and sad. Which I guess works, really, because everyone else was dying during the whole war, and what is war without loss and sacrifice.

But it sucks. I'm sad now, and I have the "field of dreams" music echoing in my head.

Probably the most emotionally impacting game I've ever played.

Re: ending and my choices
    I think everyone got kind of screwed. Whatever the Catalyst was, it didn't really offer us "fair" choices - and there were no survivable ones for Shepard, and only 1 survivable one for everyone else in the galaxy. And either way, the Mass Relays are destroyed...thus ending galactic civilization as we know it (though that pretty much happened anyway).

Although what the fuck happened with the Normandy and Joker however? What was going on there?

Re: Themes
    This game was amazingly better then it's trailers had any right to be. Like, BioWare really went gloves off all the fuck out to portray what a Reaper invasion was like for the galaxy. For a war of chaos and desperation, it was excellent. The reapers were horrific and unyielding, and scary.

I like that they basically played us with the advertising - take back Earth...because when you get to Palaven you realize how seriously wrong things have just become.

EDIT: Also, Insanity difficulty makes the Reapers truly fucking terrifying. Like, holy god are the firefights tough (yet still awesome because they didn't go with giving everything secondary defense layers and stuff).

electricitylikesme on
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    relg wrote: »

Is this ever explained?
    From what I understand in ME2 they pretty much just had to fly the slow way which took them substantially longer than their shortcut to the Citadel but their coming was still inevitable. Disabling the relay on the Citadel only delayed them and ruined their element of surprise.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Could we have a thread dedicated to Multi? There is lots of info to share and teams to be formed.

I second this. If possible. If not, meh.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Trimble87 wrote: »
    Questions on mid game citadel content (spoilers!)
    Questions regarding when cerberus attacks the citadel and you find Ashe guard the Council/Udina. I am playing a 95% paragon which is my natural play style, but when Udina pulls his pistol on the Asari councilor I had to pull the renegade trigger and shoot him in the face. Just curious what happens in the cutscene if you don't shoot him yourself?
    I think Ash/Kay just does it for you.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Regarding the DLC:
    Is it just me or from a gameplay-standpoint, does he kind of suck? His abilities don't seem all that great. I'm still not super-clear on what that special one does (Shadow something? I forget the name). I guess it's a dot?

From a story standpoint he's pretty awesome though. I can see what some people might have been upset at not getting him for that reason. Though he seems to be (at least so far) kind of poorly implemented into the rest of the story. I brought him on a mission and got virtually no dialog out of him. Kind of wishing I had not brought him since everyone else seems to have lots of interesting things to say.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Regarding the DLC:
    Is it just me or from a gameplay-standpoint, does he kind of suck? His abilities don't seem all that great. I'm still not super-clear on what that special one does (Shadow something? I forget the name). I guess it's a dot?

From a story standpoint he's pretty awesome though. I can see what some people might have been upset at not getting him for that reason. Though he seems to be (at least so far) kind of poorly implemented into the rest of the story. I brought him on a mission and got virtually no dialog out of him. Kind of wishing I had not brought him since everyone else seems to have lots of interesting things to say.

Minor DLC spoilers:
    He might not be all that use, but damn do I love melting mans with that gun.

• Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Out of interest, does the DLC character, or indeed the main game, ever explain the Collectors?
    Given what we know about Reapers from the ending, why were the Collectors even made? What purpose do they serve?
    They explain that in ME2.
    They're protheans. The reapers harvest races to use as their foot soldiers to harvest other races.
    Ending spoiler included
    I think you're massively missing my point.

There are no 'foot soldiers' left over from the hundreds of other cycles the Reapers have performed their ethnic cleansing upon. So what was it about the last cycle that made Catalyst decide he needed a Collector base as a failsafe?

The Human Reaper is somewhat explained from ME2, in that Catalyst basically says "yup, I ascend a species into a Reaper", but what isn't explained is why the Collectors even exist this cycle. Catalyst has an already functioning harvesting method.

The other big joke about the ending is how Catalyst is all "well, now you've reached the final stage I guess I can't be The Guy any more. It's your turn to be The Guy, Shepard". wut.
    I think it was more that they were the remnants of the husks left from the last cycle. I mean for all we know that's why they make husks in the first place, as the workers who'll help build reapers. The collectors were just brought back online after sovereign fell since they no longer had any reapers in the galaxy to help jump start the next apocalypse.

this is all speculation because...well, it was never covered anywhere.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    jesus h jones, the graal spike thrower is the rolls-royce of shotguns

• Trimble87Trimble87 Registered User regular
    Without naming any names, does anyone else have a problem in their first run through of hitting on every member of the opposite sex?

Playing through me2 again because I lost my save I liked going in with a plan and not having my shep be a semi-whore. In fact playing my renegade femshep again I didn't romance anyone in the first two games. But in the new one I can't resist my temptation to try and sex up urrthang :/

wilting wrote: »
    Regarding the DLC:

Minor DLC spoilers:

Yes, it's a pretty cool gun. But I'm a Vanguard so it's not super-useful for me :P

Side note - I bought two upgrades to my shotgun last night and then IMMEDIATELY found the Eviscerator right after -_- *sigh*

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Regarding the DLC:

From a gameplay standpoint, at least as a Vanguard, he's pretty powerful. He's got several abilities that I can detonate, he can equip the particle beam, which means he can trash heavily armored and shielded targets, and he's rather tough. So I can basically leave him on autopilot while I rocket around, charging stuff, and maybe occasionally ordering him to hit some target with a biotic ability so I can detonate it.

Your mileage may vary, depending on your character class and play style.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    First thing I did once I had control of the Normandy was do the DLC mission.
    I was not disappointed.

Edit: although..whose fucking idea was it to put the identity of the squadmate on the leaflet that has the DLC code on it?
    I mean..seriously. Thanks for the spoilers, EA.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    So my first run of mass 1 was vet, mass 2 was hardcore.

Should i do mass 3 on insanity? I've done it on prior playthroughs.. seriously pondering it but ifs its ridiculous like mass 1 i might save it for a second playthrough..

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    Regarding the DLC:

Minor DLC spoilers:
    if you're an adept then that ability is pretty op.
    It can trigger a biotic detonation once per fresh target, doesn't get consumed and only needs to be applied once in spread out fights.
    also, because it can stick to atlases, turrets and shielded people, you effectively have no weakness as an adept. everything can be warp bombed.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    jesus h jones, the graal spike thrower is the rolls-royce of shotguns

Oh god yes. Charge it up, and you win everything ever.

• SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    How far into the game, roughly hours wise, until you run into the DLC character?

Edit: and is the DLC good? I'm deciding on whether or not to get it.

SkyTurnsRed on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    How far into the game, roughly hours wise, until you run into the DLC character?

You can get him the moment you have control over the Normandy.
    Depending on how fast you play, that's like 1 hour?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »

You can get him the moment you have control over the Normandy.
    Depending on how fast you play, that's like 1 hour? Maybe 2?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    For the Widow discussion earlier, the Black Widow is in my opinion the best sniper rifle in the game. Well I didn't try the fully automatic one because that is so contrary to my brain's opinion of how I should play the infiltrator class. The Widow does more per shot damage, but the reload time is so ungodly long. Enemies also seem 1) more numerous and 2) more mobile in this game. I think there's less time dilation in this game too, so for me at least it's been pretty difficult to get reliable headshots on certain things anyways. I was carrying the BW when I recovered the original Widow and swapped them out, and it was bleeeegh feeling by comparison.

The BW can also shoot off one more round under benefit of cloak it seems, and really it seems like it takes a double tap to kill certain things anyways, regular Widow or not. The double tap is also really nice in situations where you need to hit someone behind cover and you can't see their head (since it seems like they nerfed hitting the tops of peoples heads for instant murder). A shot to the body to pull them out of cover and then another shot kills most things on hardcore. Lastly, the Black Widow + Armor Piercing Ammo is a brute murdering machine. Seriously. I think the N7 gun you get with the Collector's Edition could be arguably as good, but mostly because of the overall bigger reserve ammo pool. The Black Widow is heavier than the Valiant, so it kind of reduces your sidearm option to a lightened SMG if you want to keep your cooldowns insanely low like I do.

ChaosHat on
    edited March 2012

You can go get him pretty much as soon as you get the Normandy.

As for how good it is, yeah, it's pretty good. The character is pretty interesting from a story perspective and is worth it for that. The gun you get is also pretty cool. I would say the new mission is so-so. Nothing really spectacular about it honestly - it reminded me a little of some of the generic N7 missions from ME2 where you'd go to some random building and just fight a bunch of mercs. There are a few cool touches (and some actually pretty great cutscenes) but overall I'd say it's somewhat forgettable from a gameplay perspective.

Edit: You also get some new squadmate outfits out of it which is pretty cool. I don't know which ones you get because I have the CE which ALSO gives new outfits, so I have like three or four for everyone I guess. It's not a big deal but it's another "nice to have" feature-add to the whole package.

Warlock82 on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    People playing on harder difficulties, good fucking luck on those several final fights. Damn those were hard. On the default difficulty too.

edited March 2012
    Speaking of the DLC - squadmate spoilers (not related to DLC squadmate):
    I brought Liara (you have to) and EDI. Got a great interaction between the two...

EDI: "So Liara, have you ever found any dinosaur bones?"
    Liara: "No, that would be paleontology... I only study ancient civilizations..... and I just realized you're joking."
    EDI: "No, I'm not joking. A joke has a specific structure it has to follow..... I'm just messing with you"

<3 EDI

Warlock82 on
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    For the Widow discussion earlier, the Black Widow is in my opinion the best sniper rifle in the game.

Indra is the best sniper rifle. Indraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (this being a representation of what its like to shoot the Indra.)

• mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    So, regarding the Citadel: Volus Ambassador quest
    Am I boned if I don't have Zaeed or is there still a way in?

steam_sig.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    More good dialogue:

EDI: Jack was always trying to insert unauthorized additions into my reports to Cerberus. Most of them involved inappropriate usage of the word 'cockpit'.

• ajlisowskiajlisowski Registered User regular
    Question, how does the game handle not using a previous save in regards to level? I started like 20+, does everyone start at a higher level?

• SilexSilex Registered User regular
    Speaking of the DLC - squadmate spoilers (not related to DLC squadmate):
    I brought Liara (you have to) and EDI. Got a great interaction between the two...

EDI: "So Liara, have you ever found any dinosaur bones?"
    Liara: "No, that would be paleontology... I only study ancient civilizations..... and I just realized you're joking."
    EDI: "No, I'm not joking. A joke has a specific structure it has to follow..... I'm just messing with you"

<3 EDI
    I brought Vega on that one. The conversation is essentially the same except that when Liara says she realized he's joking, Vega responds: "Actually, I just really like dinosaurs.

• DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    I did not have Zaeed; he and I parted ways in ME2 after his story mission. If you want to know what happens, click the spoiler at your own peril
    You get into the room, and he's shot. He dies before help gets there.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Using the Indra as an infiltrator makes you a weakass punk.

Just sayin'

• mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    I did not have Zaeed; he and I parted ways in ME2 after his story mission. If you want to know what happens, click the spoiler at your own peril
    You get into the room, and he's shot. He dies before help gets there.
    hmmm....I can't get in the room though, after going to his office I go to one door which says it's not the right one, and the other one is just red and won't let me interact with it. Is my quest bugged or is there a step I'm missing?

steam_sig.png
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Using the Indra as an infiltrator makes you a weakass punk.

Just sayin'

The Garrus avatar lends gravitas to this post. I read it in his voice.

• Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    First thing I did once I had control of the Normandy was do the DLC mission.
    I was not disappointed.

Edit: although..whose fucking idea was it to put the identity of the squadmate on the leaflet that has the DLC code on it?
    I mean..seriously. Thanks for the spoilers, EA.

Yeah, I got burned by this too. Pissed me off mightily.

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So uhh, if my effective military strength bar is completely full and green (6220 total, 3110 useable)...am I done with war assets? Would having a higher readiness rating do anything more or would it have simply gotten me to this point faster?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    So, let us discuss DLC. Namely, how much of it is there, and how do I obtain it?

This discussion has been closed.