As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    In pub games offense is often uncoordinated. In those cases, a set of deployable defenses can be pretty effective, as long as they're powered.

As a defender, I sure do like having that radar also, when I can't rely on my teammates (again, pubs) to help me cover all incoming routes.

Maybe not critical, but having the gen is far from useless. I wouldn't devote more than one defender to it though, except perhaps for the initial rush.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'm glad you agree that one person can effectively defend the generator.

Against one person, sure. I disagree that defending the generator is currently effective though. You can defend it in some cases, I just don't really get why you would.

Because claymores, turrets (light and base), mines, motion sensors, force fields and radar are awesome, mostly.

• OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    Well, I took some hints from the thread here, and I've definitely improved my game, or at least adjusted it to this version of Tribes. Also, I broke down and got gold to unlock the thumper for the tech, and the doombringer class, and that has helped immeasurably. Trying to defend a generator with a pea shooter wasn't going well, and trying to defend a flag with mines or a chain gun was hard too. Now it's a bit better, but it feels a little wrong to have to buy it. I'm pretty new to free to play situations. It doesn't upset me really, but it bugs me a little. I would almost go so far to say that barring sick skills and significant time investment, the free part of the game is more of a demo, and it leaves you wishing for certain weapons and abilities, and hey, it's so much easier if you buy it!

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    I enjoy using a Brute with shield pack for generator defense.

Works really well!!!!

I switch to Raider with the jammer pack to detect stealthy infiltrators though

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Just built a new computer and this game is at the top of my list now.

Haven't played it in months, looking forward to seeing what's changed.

edited March 2012
    Well, I took some hints from the thread here, and I've definitely improved my game, or at least adjusted it to this version of Tribes. Also, I broke down and got gold to unlock the thumper for the tech, and the doombringer class, and that has helped immeasurably. Trying to defend a generator with a pea shooter wasn't going well, and trying to defend a flag with mines or a chain gun was hard too. Now it's a bit better, but it feels a little wrong to have to buy it. I'm pretty new to free to play situations. It doesn't upset me really, but it bugs me a little. I would almost go so far to say that barring sick skills and significant time investment, the free part of the game is more of a demo, and it leaves you wishing for certain weapons and abilities, and hey, it's so much easier if you buy it!

Kinda depends. The starting gear for a SLD is great for flag/base defense or light offense (distract/clear), starting gear for PTH is great for capping, and starting gear for JUG is great for assaulting a base. If you want to do something outside of these roles then yes, you will have to wait or pay, but the free stuff you start with is very effective in the correct places. I guess it is kind of like a demo, but free players can be perfectly effective in certain roles after very little play and without having to buy anything. Overall I find it to be pretty reasonable.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Enig wrote: »

Kinda depends. The starting gear for a SLD is great for flag/base defense or light offense (distract/clear), starting gear for PTH is great for capping, and starting gear for JUG is great for assaulting a base. If you want to do something outside of these roles then yes, you will have to wait or pay, but the free stuff you start with is very effective in the correct places. I guess it is kind of like a demo, but free players can be perfectly effective in certain roles after very little play and without having to buy anything. Overall I find it to be pretty reasonable.

I mean really, you can't complain that you're not getting enough content with a free game. If they gave you all you wanted, why would you ever pay? As it is, many, many players are going to be only too happy to wait and never pay a dime. For those that want to pay and support the game? Decent rewards. It's not like my spinfuser hits harder than yours ever will because I paid for the game. You'll get there too, but you chose to go the free route. And that's going to take longer.

Otherwise, the game wouldn't exist. I think they've hit a much better balance here than SMNC, to be honest. I don't feel the need to pay a red cent in SMNC. They're going to have a tough time come launch. I'm usually the first to justify plopping down money for games like this. $30 for a pack that gets me a 30 day boost and enough gold to unlock most the stuff I want? Sounds good to me. I can't get more than a couple characters and a few skins for that in SMNC.

On the one hand, a lot of people will pay just to support the game. On the other hand, why not make it so that your paying players feel like they got something worthwhile with their purchase? I'm also of the belief that the devs can effectively just ignore any complaints about pricing that also contain, in the same paragraph, a rant about how they don't want to spend money on anything.

As an aside, I'd really like to see some new/better vehicles. Even an unlock system associated with it. The grav cycle is hilariously easy to deal with. The tank is ridiculously cumbersome and can be soloed by someone who knows how to conserve energy for flying, and the shrike is completely inconsistent.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    Havoc will be coming at some point, but they haven't said when, as far as I know.

uDN9x.jpg

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Enig wrote: »

I mean really, you can't complain that you're not getting enough content with a free game. If they gave you all you wanted, why would you ever pay? As it is, many, many players are going to be only too happy to wait and never pay a dime. For those that want to pay and support the game? Decent rewards. It's not like my spinfuser hits harder than yours ever will because I paid for the game. You'll get there too, but you chose to go the free route. And that's going to take longer.

Otherwise, the game wouldn't exist. I think they've hit a much better balance here than SMNC, to be honest. I don't feel the need to pay a red cent in SMNC. They're going to have a tough time come launch. I'm usually the first to justify plopping down money for games like this. $30 for a pack that gets me a 30 day boost and enough gold to unlock most the stuff I want? Sounds good to me. I can't get more than a couple characters and a few skins for that in SMNC.

On the one hand, a lot of people will pay just to support the game. On the other hand, why not make it so that your paying players feel like they got something worthwhile with their purchase? I'm also of the belief that the devs can effectively just ignore any complaints about pricing that also contain, in the same paragraph, a rant about how they don't want to spend money on anything.

As an aside, I'd really like to see some new/better vehicles. Even an unlock system associated with it. The grav cycle is hilariously easy to deal with. The tank is ridiculously cumbersome and can be soloed by someone who knows how to conserve energy for flying, and the shrike is completely inconsistent.

I'm quite happy to pay money for Tribes (I just did), it just feels sort of funny this way, like when someone tricks you because they know your tendencies so well and it's for your own good anyway.

It's something like "Free Tribes? Heck yes!" -> "This is as much fun as I remember it, but I wish I had mines!" -> "That was money well spent, now I like this game even better!"

It's a different order of operations from just deciding you want to play the new Tribes game and then buying it.

My personal Tribes:Ascend wishlist:

1. Defend and Destroy
    2. Generator powered shields on base turrets
    3. The ELF gun

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    Enig wrote:
    Havoc will be coming at some point, but they haven't said when, as far as I know.

I would assume it would be released when they actually design a map where it would even be useful. Could you imagine using this thing in the CTF maps they have now! lol

Got to play last night

new class system is weird... disappointed that spinfusor unlock for medium armor is so damn expensive

servers seem a tad on the laggy side

shrikes are WAY easier to control than they were two months ago, and are pretty fun now

• A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    With maps being so small and clustered, I hardly see a need for a transport.

Typically, the transport is used because the map is so gigantic that it makes going across as a fatty very difficult.

In order for that thing to be useful, they need to stop making these boring, small maps.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Agreed, I think one of the primary things they need to work on is making the game feel more epic. As in, bigger maps and more complex layouts.

• SheebsSheebs FloridaRegistered User regular
    Has there been anymore word on Private User Servers yet? It's what I've been looking forward to the most since I started playing at the beginning of November.

Being able to play pro ladders with some friends sounds like great fun without the current whitelisting system. 8->

They really do need bigger maps

I think that would help the game a lot.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    They really do need bigger maps

I think that would help the game a lot.
    And bigger jetpack fuel reservoirs to go with it. Maps alone would be a great addition though.

I thought they tried a bigger map with Temple and it didn't work? I didn't play a whole lot when it first came out and never got to seriously try it out.

Is that the one with the bridges?

The one with the bridges has some great skiing routes and even though its not "huge", it does require some more travel because you can't come up the gut like Katabatic

I'd like to see remakes of

Tombstone
    Snowblind
    Rapture
    Scarabrea

then I think I can rest in peace with those maps on a rotation

The one with the bridges has some great skiing routes and even though its not "huge", it does require some more travel because you can't come up the gut like Katabatic

Tombstone
    Snowblind
    Rapture
    Scarabrea

The one with the giant aqueducts is Arx Nova iirc.

Temple Ruins is (was?) this map.

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    All I want is Scarabrea (proper, AKA Havoc required).

Snowblind could be good, as well, if they keep the valley bases defensible.

Raindance too. Heck, Crossfire bases are already nearly Raindance, just set them lower, further apart in the desert with some more interesting elevations other than "BIG HILL" and "Little Rolling Hill".

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Sheebs wrote: »

Tombstone
    Snowblind
    Rapture
    Scarabrea

The one with the giant aqueducts is Arx Nova iirc.

Temple Ruins is (was?) this map.

That video is a terrific example of why they really need to go easy on the ski routes sometimes. It's all well and good to keep the game frenetic, but when you can basically fly in and out of a base with almost zero chance at being stopped once you have the flag, that's a problem. Even if you're an expert, you're not going to catch that guy.

I still don't know why theres no broadside or blastside.

that map with the two floating ships is basically already blastside

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I agree with the need for bigger maps, would make alot of things more fun. However maps aside, I want that transport! It looks awesome. /vehiclenut

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    A terrible bastardization of blastside maybe.

That video is a terrific example of why they really need to go easy on the ski routes sometimes. It's all well and good to keep the game frenetic, but when you can basically fly in and out of a base with almost zero chance at being stopped once you have the flag, that's a problem. Even if you're an expert, you're not going to catch that guy.

You might have a chance if you use the Thrust pack and selective nitron boosting as PTH but yeah I have to agree. Maybe as a Sniper you could also stop a capper but good luck if he's going that fast, ha ha.

that route is a little extreme but still quite defeat-able by teamwork

If stars have to align to counter it, it's not balanced.

SniperGuy wrote: »
    A terrible bastardization of blastside maybe.

A Bastardside, if you will.

And yeah, a proper Broadside goes on my list as well. Probably third behind Scarabrea and Snowblind.

If stars have to align to counter it, it's not balanced.

I wouldn't call a stationed doombringer and a vigilant LD "stars aligning"

Sure, if he's going in by himself, and you know he's coming, and from which direction.

Now imagine a normal game scenario where there are two or three guys coming in right around the same time, and fusers popping your turrets from 30 miles out, and people chasing mediums, etc. Not very likely you're going to get this guy.

Then imagine a slightly worse situation where he had a single inf buddy letting him know the gen is about to go down, or a soldier buddy flinging fuser discs at the flag letting him know the def is going down. Then you're pretty much hosed unless you have haxxor johnny sniper getting extremely lucky.

he's not going that fast

i repeatedly find myself smitten by how little people recall how brutal and unfair capping advantages were in previous tribes games given the proper conditions

the only thing about that route that is unfair is that is exit vector is pointing directly at his own flag stand

which also makes him easy prey for snipers

I'm with Jascon here, it's a good flag route, to be certain, but it is certainly not unstoppable by any means.

Capping on rollercoaster in 11 seconds without touching the ground is unfair

this guy is skating the whole time on pretty easily identifiable landmarks that he has no choice but to take or lose his speed

one engineer could ruin his day

edited March 2012
    Nobody said it was impossible. It's just demonstrating what some people view as a 'problem' with the game right now. 10 second super highways between bases that are 3 miles apart, for the one class that can go 300, with the only chance being some hyper reflex sniper getting lucky doesn't leave much room for varied gameplay or strategy. It's also not much fun for the 13 other people on the team who's job isn't going fast or capping.

Maybe they just need to add another game type with a little more strategy than "kill the other dood" (deathmatch) and "be a pathfinder and score" (ctf). Or if you're not a pathfinder, CTF is "be on the team with the guy(s) that can cap the bestest".

I mean I don't cap, I'm a terrible pathfinder. I mostly play soldier and stick around the base and try to snag a capper or heavy and playing mid-defense. It's sometimes fun, but pretty much pointless. It's basically two different games in ctf. Those that score caps, and everyone else that just kind of tries to find a job for themselves that feels like it matters.

Boogdud on
    I dunno, I usually play with friends on vent and that certainly colors my experience but I almost never play pathfinder and feel like I contribute a ton. One of my friends plays doombringer, one plays sniper, one plays pathfinder as a chaser, I play tech unless another one of our friends is on, or I play soldier. We put up a hell of a flag defense (I go soldier to kill enemies that get wise and try to shell our base). We usually rely on the other people on our team to do all the capping.

Having a good sniper is certainly a cornerstone of good defense, but I feel like this has always been true in tribes.

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    It has been.

A lot of people dont seem to get that its not very hard to stop a lot of the cap routes by yourself. Station yourself on a hill with a missile launcher and the enemy team has to pick another route, or deal with you. fly around in a shrike and enjoy smacking around those pathfinders as they are in their routes is another solid way to play defense.

Defense in this game is very proactive, you gotta not only defend the flag but defend the ways to get the flag. A few mines, forcefields and other defensive deployables can make it even tougher for a fast pathfinder to grab the flag. Mines are good because thats going to force him to fire a disk at the flagstand, which if you didnt see him coming will alert you to his run.

I think whats partially broken about flag running is the two things about regening health and those low damage impact nitrons that just get your route going at crazy speeds. If i grab the flag at 278 KM and boost myself to 320, gl ever catching me. Disk jumping and skiing should be the only 2 ways to boost your speed, those gernades are just crazy.

Draygo wrote: »
    A lot of people dont seem to get that its not very hard to stop a lot of the cap routes by yourself. Station yourself on a hill with a missile launcher and the enemy team has to pick another route, or deal with you. fly around in a shrike and enjoy smacking around those pathfinders as they are in their routes is another solid way to play defense.

Where they will then go use one of the 16 other viable-but-not-optimal flag routes and you get to spend the entire round sitting there, doing nothing. Or of course they could just kill you, since a pathfinder can easily out-duel most solo Heavies since Speed+Regen beats Higher Health 9 times out of 10.

Shrikes are useful, but extremely easy to counter and very difficult to be good in.
    Defense in this game is very proactive, you gotta not only defend the flag but defend the ways to get the flag. A few mines, forcefields and other defensive deployables can make it even tougher for a fast pathfinder to grab the flag. Mines are good because thats going to force him to fire a disk at the flagstand, which if you didnt see him coming will alert you to his run.

And what good, exactly, is being "Alerted to his run" going to do you if you can do nothing to stop him? Since it only takes 1 MAYBE 2 disks to destroy an entire flag defense, assuming it's the same single capper and not one of his 6 buddy flag cappers all trying at the same time from separate directions, you have less than a second between the disk and the capper grabbing the flag. Are you supposed to shoot him? Anything that will kill him takes longer to fire/explode than that. Are you supposed to chase him? Even if you have his direction you will never catch him on 75% of the routes.

Besides, a Tac Strike, the more common flag defense clearer, will kill the defenders too, so the point is mostly moot.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

Where they will then go use one of the 16 other viable-but-not-optimal flag routes and you get to spend the entire round sitting there, doing nothing. Or of course they could just kill you, since a pathfinder can easily out-duel most solo Heavies since Speed+Regen beats Higher Health 9 times out of 10.

Shrikes are useful, but extremely easy to counter and very difficult to be good in.

Yea, a light shouldn't ever beat a chaingunner doombringer. This is even more true if the doom has potential energy (he knows he is going to be fighting midfield). Midfield juggernauts are even harder to kill as a light.

The entire point is to shut down the optimal high speed routes. If you can shut down one or two sides, your heavy on flag only has to worry about high speed on one side, and slow routes. If the heavy on flag is decent, they won't get the flag off the stand at all, with single flag runners.

And what good, exactly, is being "Alerted to his run" going to do you if you can do nothing to stop him? Since it only takes 1 MAYBE 2 disks to destroy an entire flag defense, assuming it's the same single capper and not one of his 6 buddy flag cappers all trying at the same time from separate directions, you have less than a second between the disk and the capper grabbing the flag. Are you supposed to shoot him? Anything that will kill him takes longer to fire/explode than that. Are you supposed to chase him? Even if you have his direction you will never catch him on 75% of the routes.

Besides, a Tac Strike, the more common flag defense clearer, will kill the defenders too, so the point is mostly moot.

You can spread out your mines/claymores so it takes 3+ disks to clear them all. A solo flag runner doesn't have the time to clear them. Not only that, but you still have the heavy on flag. I get the feeling you have never run into a competent heavy on flag. If he knows you are coming, you won't get away with the flag. A good doombringer is going to kill the light on the way in (most likely right before he hits the flag stand). If he gets away with the flag, you have your chasers chase him. The runner will be at low health so he can't boost... your sniper should be able to kill him with a single shot.

If 6+ runners go at the flag stand at the same time, well, you need around 6 defenders to stop them. I like to have a Brute/soldier off the flag, but close enough he can hit the stand, right as someone grabs the flag. Half the time the runners are not at full health coming in, and they die immediately. The other half, they get knocked off their route and have 100 health or less... again, easy pickings for your sniper. *If* they attack with enough people (at the same time), keep every defender busy then they deserve to get the flag. You better hope you have a good offense and force a standoff.

I do think tac strikes should be more expensive, they get a little silly later in the game. That said, if you see the tac strike coming, you have plenty of time to get away. It shouldn't kill the HOF, but even if it does, it won't get the heavy off the flag (the brute/soldier), your sniper, or your chasers.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    I should add that playing with a small group of people that can communicate (most of the time there are 3 of us) makes a massive difference. If you are joining games solo, you are going to have a much harder time defending. Most of the time, randoms won't defend the base unless there are other people dedicated to defense.

This discussion has been closed.