As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    dsplaisted wrote: »
    I could use some help with two citadel quests:
    I'm supposed to go to a terminal to get information on a Hanar diplomat. I've read comments that this quest is slightly bugged. Where is the second terminal I have to go to?

Aria wants me to get support from 3 mercenary gangs for fighting the Reapers. One of them (I think the Eclipse one) was locked up in C-Sec. I talked to Bailey and he said she was crazy, so I went to talk to her. I decided not to release her, but now it seems like the quest is stuck. I can't interact with the terminal at the C-Sec station to talk with the merc leader again, or interact with the C-Sec officer who was there. Talking to Bailey or Aria doesn't give me any more options. Is this quest now at a dead end?

Keep looking around the Citadel on both counts
    And don't stick to just that level on the Citadel, all levels must be considered.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    ENDING SPOILERS
    1) Because the organic life would just rebuild the synthetic eventually, or something so like it it would make no difference.
    2) Because they're dicks who believe themselves to be the supreme life forms.
    2a) Because Indroctination, even a little bit, fucks you up yo. It involves nanites 'n shit.
    3)/3a) They are preserved. They continue to exist in a new form. "Salvation through Destruction", remember?
    3b) Yep.
    4) Because Shepard can make a choice. Because the Catalyst cannot stop Shepard.
    4a) Because every species improved upon the Crucible until it finally could work.
    5) Organic processors, presumably. Organic circutry, specialized organs, who knows?
    6) The Normandy crashes in every single game, it's just how shit gets done.
    1) So just stick around and blow up new synthetic species.
    2a) So, presumably, would synthesis. If they can MAGICALLY synthesize every organic bit of life in the galaxy, getting indoctrination to stop people from building robots doesn't seem all that difficult.
    3a) That's not really existing is it?
    3b) Heh.
    But the Reapers are synthetic too. So if they just cruise around screaming FUCK DA ROBOTS,and whipping up doods into an anti robot frenzy, some species is going to try to kill them. And as you know, the Reapers can be killed.

I liked the ending a lot, but I fully expect a lot of bitching about it. Hopefully it won't be on the level of DAII, though, because people act like that game dateraped their hamster on live television.

Too late

SHITCOCKS IN WHORESAUCE

I am too late.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Also...look at your map.

The map is actually good in this game and it will tell you where you need to go most of the time.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    This is such a great game, the combat is very tight and fun... but MAN the presentation and attention to detail took a huge hit here. My only problems are little, niggling things but they all add up. I attribute all of these issues to the game being rushed out. They clearly cut some corners and I'm experiencing far more noticeable bugs than in both previous games combined only a few hours in.

For instance, in my first conversation with Liara onboard the Normandy, Shepard's head started spinning like he was Beetlejuice, then got stuck looking off to the side. It was really awkward watching Liara talk to Shep with his head cranked 90 degrees to the right.

The UI hurts my eyes. It no longer looks like it's a unique OS or email client... it's now this ugly blue piece of shit. They literally just slapped in a hand drawn picture of a computer and overlayed text on it. In ME2 there were scanlines, little transparency effects and aesthetic information that made everything you interacted with actually look the part. It honestly looks like computers in Mass Effect downgraded their OSes at large. :lol:

Avina used to look like an actual hologram and was transparent... now she has a hideous pink/purple hue, looks like someone ripped the skin off an Asari and embedded microchips into her skin. A nitpick, but having played all the games, this stood out to me. She looks way worse than she did in ME1.

The graphical effects on powers is really heavy handed now. Where in previous games my biotic powers were subtle transparent bubbles, they're now a glowing purple orb. Then again, they move so fast now you can barely notice... but that brings me to another point.

Powers don't have the same weight to them anymore. They used to sail gracefully through the air and you could feel their impact. Now the speed at which they hit a target doesn't correlate to the distance the enemy is pushed. It seems random at best.

So yeah, I have more but it'll run on for too long. Lots of little issues but many of them are immersion ruiners. I wish they hadn't rushed this game as much as they did. If you've played all three, the problems with presentation and visual polish really stand out. None of the reviews I've read really called Bioware out on this though.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I don't mind that the powers come out faster.

I would rather stuff die quicker.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Agreed: more biotic explosions for me and my team.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I like the simpler UI, personally. It doesn't look as future-y, but it's a lot easier to read

the main thing bugging me so far is that somehow, they found a way to add two more loading walls to the normandy.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    rushed out? they worked on it the same amount of time they had to work on mass 2, actually i think they got an extra couple months hence the delay.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Man, thing that annoyed me is that I miss more detailed codex entries.

But when I found out that the map tells you pretty much where you have to go I didn't mind as much.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SickwithJusticeSickwithJustice Registered User regular

ENDING SPOILERS
    2a) So, presumably, would synthesis. If they can MAGICALLY synthesize every organic bit of life in the galaxy, getting indoctrination to stop people from building robots doesn't seem all that difficult.
    3b) Heh.
    1) I think the whole point is that organics cannot continue to progress without synthetics. Catalyst even says something to the effect of "synthetics are a part of you now. Can you imagine life without them?". Bottom line, organics will always end up creating synthetics, because that's the only way to progress past a certain point. Also you need to remember that the Reapers did not magically come into existence. If they weren't harvesting billions of years worth of civilizations, they would not be as powerful as they are. Presumably that means if they just went into perpetual war with synthetics without wiping out their creators eventually they'd lose due to not being able to harvest anymore.

2) The Reapers can't synthesize every organic. They have one part of the puzzle, the Citadel. Organics created the second part, the Crucible, over thousands of galactic cycles. Shepard's cycle is the first time both parts are completed, which allows synthesis to happen.

3a) This is why we oppose Catalyst. He is preserving life at any cost using the Reapers, but to us it's not preservation at all. Hence the entire conflict. Once again, Catalyst only had one part of the puzzle. To him, there was no other solution until organics completed the Crucible.

• Options
    edited March 2012

The reduced cooldown is fantastic, don't get me wrong, I love firing off biotic abilities like a boss... the speed at which the powers go through the air just doesn't "feel" right anymore. I blame my animation education and background for letting me see through the veil.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    As an Xbox player, does the pop-up upon loading about Origin/EA account mean anything to me? I pressed okay, but it hasn't forced me to register anything. Is it one of those automatic registrations? Does it know my BioWare social account?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Thought I'd share with you my Xpadder profile for using an Xbox 360 controller. This controller takes some of the concepts from a GAF loadout while also featuring a few extra tweaks on my end. In my opinion, this is the closest possible experience to playing with native controller support (note: turn off mouse smoothing and set sensitivity to 35%): http://www.2shared.com/file/pgKdKN34/Mass_Effect_3.html

Now I have a question: After completing the Mars mission, all of my characters reset to level 1, losing all the perks and progress from the beginning of the game (which put everyone at 30+).

Is this intentional? I don't particularly mind as it keeps things from being too easy, but I already miss some of my powers.

In light of my earlier blog rant, so far Vega isn't terrible. He seems to be a meathead character, but it looks like he'll at least be a fleshed-out meathead.

But Jessica Chobit's character....man, people were not kidding. Her model is the most unrealistic I've seen in the entire trilogy. Just about every part of her looks off...the droopy cleavage, the down syndrome face, the ass that stretches a mile long....

Again, I continue to wonder who she was made to cater to.

• Options
    ...My powers didn't reset...

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    My ex-wife just picked up the PC version at the mall for me...can't wait to head home from work!

I find it interesting that buying the PC version at a store basically just nets you an Origin DL code...

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm going to play a hella lot of multiplayer when I get home from work in about an hour. Please send invites my way when I log into Origin! I'm still pretty low level right now because it didnt save some of my games.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    I like the simpler UI, personally. It doesn't look as future-y, but it's a lot easier to read

the main thing bugging me so far is that somehow, they found a way to add two more loading walls to the normandy.

I can't help but think this was a choice made for this exact reason. Pretty sure ME2 was one of those games that was difficult to read on an SDTV. It's a shame if that's the reason for the change really. What gamer doesn't have an HDTV these days?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I want a 360 patch to allow splitscreen Multiplayer. This is my one, fervent wish right now.

And I know it will never happen. :(

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    ENDING SPOILERS
    3b) Heh.
    1) I think the whole point is that organics cannot continue to progress without synthetics. Catalyst even says something to the effect of "synthetics are a part of you now. Can you imagine life without them?". Bottom line, organics will always end up creating synthetics, because that's the only way to progress past a certain point. Also you need to remember that the Reapers did not magically come into existence. If they weren't harvesting billions of years worth of civilizations, they would not be as powerful as they are. Presumably that means if they just went into perpetual war with synthetics without wiping out their creators eventually they'd lose due to not being able to harvest anymore.

2) The Reapers can't synthesize every organic. They have one part of the puzzle, the Citadel. Organics created the second part, the Crucible, over thousands of galactic cycles. Shepard's cycle is the first time both parts are completed, which allows synthesis to happen.

3a) This is why we oppose Catalyst. He is preserving life at any cost using the Reapers, but to us it's not preservation at all. Hence the entire conflict. Once again, Catalyst only had one part of the puzzle. To him, there was no other solution until organics completed the Crucible.
    Actually for all we know the crucible was just another part of the catalyst's system. Sure, we think it's a device created by organics throughout the cycles but we never get an explanation as to what it does or is supposed to do. It's just a blueprint that...apparently requires the first AI to utilize.

Not to mention catalyst completely ignores that the geth and EDI are fighting alongside their creators and organics in the first time ever.

We get absolutely no closure on any thing except that at least we know humanity is kicking years later thanks to a cameo by the original moonwalker himself.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

Hmm. Do the enemies scale with the level boost you start with? If not, then maybe I'll stick to the balanced level I'm at now.

• Options

Hmm. Do the enemies scale with the level boost you start with? If not, then maybe I'll stick to the balanced level I'm at now.

I believe enemies scale but the way the game is balanced is much better this time around so you won't notice as much

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Man, just linked up with a certain large fleet and argh

that mission is murder for vanguards. So many areas where it just was not registering my charges. Had to switch to my damn SMG and still ran out of ammo. :(
    And...I kind of want to help Legion here

but given that a simple signal took them over, it's like the Rachni all over again, and I almost reloaded a save to kill off the queen.

I'm still pretty sure it's a mistake to leave her alive....

...but don't tell me! I want to find out for myself.

So many choices though!

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh man this is hilarious.
    Ending Spoiler:
    Reading posts by people who haven't completed the game being conflicted about the choices they're making throughout the series, as if any of them will matter in the end.

Hoz on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Some ending discussion (obviously spoilers):
    So I was thinking about how fucked the aliens are because the Mass Relays are down. It's not actually that bad. According to the Codex, the Reapers travel at about 30 light years per day, and that this is about twice as fast as Council ships. The Milky Way is, according to Wikipedia, 100,000 - 120,000 light years wide. 100,000 light years, traveling at a speed of 100,000 light years per day, only takes about 9 years to travel, so double that if they can't somehow use the Reaper corpses to develop faster engines. Of course, you still need fuel, and 9 years is a long time for ships that don't grow their own food, but if they spent some time preparing on Earth for the journey, and made stops on planets in star systems they know have Element Zero, and assuming the Quarians help out the Turians with food from their liveships, everyone would be able to make it back to their homeworlds within their lifetimes.

Lemming on
  • Options
    Inter_d wrote: »
    ENDING SPOILERS
    3b) Heh.

Actually for all we know the crucible was just another part of the catalyst's system. Sure, we think it's a device created by organics throughout the cycles but we never get an explanation as to what it does or is supposed to do. It's just a blueprint that...apparently requires the first AI to utilize.

Not to mention catalyst completely ignores that the geth and EDI are fighting alongside their creators and organics in the first time ever.

We get absolutely no closure on any thing except that at least we know humanity is kicking years later thanks to a cameo by the original moonwalker himself.
    The Prothean AI found on Thessia straight ups says the Crucible is created by organics, so I dunno what you're talking about. There is no "we think". The game tells us this is the case. Nobody sits down and explains what it's supposed to do, sure. But we fired the thing off. The result was synthesis, or control, or destruction. It produced the energy required for these galaxy-spanning reactions to occur.

And the rest of your post is speculation. There have been thousands of cycles. How do you know synthetics have never aided organics in the resistance against the Reapers? The only cycle we have any insight into is the Protheans. One of thousands. The point is that on an unlimited timeline, Catalyst believes or has determined that synthetics inevitably surpass and rebel against organics. Sure, EDI and the Geth aid us now, but a million years down the road, a new synthetic race will eventually kill us off.

I agree with you that the game needed more closure, but I think that fundamentally the Synthesis ending makes perfect sense. As I said before, the other two endings shouldn't even be there in my opinion.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Codex spoiler for a mid-game battle. Fucking rad as hell.
    The "Miracle at Palaven." I was wondering what commiting the Krogan to help there would accomplish, quite a fucking lot. The Reaper's proclivity to take slaves bit them in the ass as Krogan commandos busted inside and planted fusion bombs *INSIDE* Reaper destroyers, maybe a few Sovereign class ships too.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    ENDING SPOILERS
    3b) Heh.

The Prothean AI found on Thessia straight ups says the Crucible is created by organics, so I dunno what you're talking about. There is no "we think". The game tells us this is the case. Nobody sits down and explains what it's supposed to do, sure. But we fired the thing off. The result was synthesis, or control, or destruction. It produced the energy required for these galaxy-spanning reactions to occur.

And the rest of your post is speculation. There have been thousands of cycles. How do you know synthetics have never aided organics in the resistance against the Reapers? The only cycle we have any insight into is the Protheans. One of thousands. The point is that on an unlimited timeline, Catalyst believes or has determined that synthetics inevitably surpass and rebel against organics. Sure, EDI and the Geth aid us now, but a million years down the road, a new synthetic race will eventually kill us off.

I agree with you that the game needed more closure, but I think that fundamentally the Synthesis ending makes perfect sense. As I said before, the other two endings shouldn't even be there in my opinion.

Continued ending discussion:
    I'm not convinced the Crucible is created by organics. They said the design had been passed on for a long time, so there's no real evidence that it wasn't seeded by the Catalyst earlier on, and then just developed further by organics until it was done. I don't know what the repercussions of that would be, but whatever.

I'm also not convinced that the Catalyst is even right. He says that Shepard will die if he goes with the Reaper destruct-o option, but if you have enough special war points, then Shepard doesn't die. There's a good chance, I think, that at least some of the Geth could survive, especially the ones that get integrated into Quarian suits.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So I didn't play the multiplayer during the demo period, and haven't played it yet.

Is there a PA Group Tag for 360 players, or should I just hop on with randoms and hope for the best?

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Codex spoiler for a mid-game battle. Fucking rad as hell.
    The "Miracle at Palaven." I was wondering what commiting the Krogan to help there would accomplish, quite a fucking lot. The Reaper's proclivity to take slaves bit them in the ass as Krogan commandos busted inside and planted fusion bombs *INSIDE* Reaper destroyers, maybe a few Sovereign class ships too.
    Damn, looks like I need to start reading the Codex. What category was that in?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    People who queue for multiplayer and then want to spend 8 years before readying up are literally worse than Ashley.

MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    last mission (?) questions
    am i missing something? defending the thanix missile launchers seems really really difficult, there are four banshees and like a dozen turian husks and sometimes the reaper just one shots me randomly

what am I doing wrong

• Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm playing on Hardcore and is it just me... or is taking cover virtually pointless?

I mean, seems like no matter where I get behind cover I still get shot while I'm IN cover, or have grenades raining down on me.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    No, it really is incredibly difficult. I don't know why they ramped the difficulty up for this fight.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    am i missing something? defending the thanix missile launchers seems really really difficult, there are four banshees and like a dozen turian husks and sometimes the reaper just one shots me randomly

what am I doing wrong
    It is hard because you gotta blow up that Reaper man and they're trying to stop you! But seriously, it's definitely super hard. Try to get the Reaper to shoot the banshees with his laser.

Also this battle is the (ending spoilers)
    boss of the game, there is no Reaper babby to kill, just a hardcore hard-as-fuck fight. Go get 'em!

Lemming on
  • Options
    No, it really is incredibly difficult. I don't know why they ramped the difficulty up for this fight.

Ending spoilers:
    It's the boss fight dude, it should be hard. I thought it was awesome, it was actually pretty hard and I needed to use some strategy, even on my "ChargeNovaChargeNovaChargeNovaChargeNovaChargeNova" Shepard.

• Options
    Lemming wrote: »

what am I doing wrong
    It is hard because you gotta blow up that Reaper man and they're trying to stop you! But seriously, it's definitely super hard. Try to get the Reaper to shoot the banshees with his laser.

boss of the game, there is no Reaper babby to kill, just a hardcore hard-as-fuck fight. Go get 'em!
    That's not the boss at all. You and I know who the real boss was. We just fight him Deus Ex style.

• Options
    ENDING SPOILERS
    3b) Heh.

Continued ending discussion:
    I'm not convinced the Crucible is created by organics. They said the design had been passed on for a long time, so there's no real evidence that it wasn't seeded by the Catalyst earlier on, and then just developed further by organics until it was done. I don't know what the repercussions of that would be, but whatever.

I'm also not convinced that the Catalyst is even right. He says that Shepard will die if he goes with the Reaper destruct-o option, but if you have enough special war points, then Shepard doesn't die. There's a good chance, I think, that at least some of the Geth could survive, especially the ones that get integrated into Quarian suits.
    Maybe that's the whole point then. If your line of thinking is correct, Catalyst knew that synthesis was theoretically possible and would solve the problem but couldn't devote the resources to solving the problem himself. Maybe because he needed to focus all his effort in continually wiping out organics, or maybe that half of the problem isn't solvable by a machine. Whatever his reasons for not doing it himself, he seeds it to organics and bides his time with his Reaper stop-gap solution until Shepard's cycle finishes it.

For the second part personally I'll defer to the judgement of an aeons-old super AI who has seen history repeat itself thousands of times on a galactic scale. I trust Catalyst's judgement in that regard. Maybe he is wrong and organics and synthetics could possibly coexist without sythesis, but we don't have much proof of that other than EDI and the Geth, while he's seen an endless amount of cycles to prove otherwise.

• Options

what am I doing wrong

That's not the boss at all. You and I know who the real boss was. We just fight him Deus Ex style.
    Yeah well it's the video game boss fight. My Shepard is 2/2 for villain suicide, by the way!

• Options

what am I doing wrong

Yeah well it's the video game boss fight. My Shepard is 2/2 for villain suicide, by the way!

Nice!
    I didn't have enough paragon to get him to off himself, so I had to do it Roland Deschain style and shot that motherfucker. NG+ will give me chance to rectify that.

• Options
    ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    Someone tell me what I gain/loose by keeping the base in the second game.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.