As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Lemming wrote: »
    Inter_d wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    ENDING SPOILERS
    1) So just stick around and blow up new synthetic species.
    2a) So, presumably, would synthesis. If they can MAGICALLY synthesize every organic bit of life in the galaxy, getting indoctrination to stop people from building robots doesn't seem all that difficult.
    3a) That's not really existing is it?
    3b) Heh.
    1) I think the whole point is that organics cannot continue to progress without synthetics. Catalyst even says something to the effect of "synthetics are a part of you now. Can you imagine life without them?". Bottom line, organics will always end up creating synthetics, because that's the only way to progress past a certain point. Also you need to remember that the Reapers did not magically come into existence. If they weren't harvesting billions of years worth of civilizations, they would not be as powerful as they are. Presumably that means if they just went into perpetual war with synthetics without wiping out their creators eventually they'd lose due to not being able to harvest anymore.

2) The Reapers can't synthesize every organic. They have one part of the puzzle, the Citadel. Organics created the second part, the Crucible, over thousands of galactic cycles. Shepard's cycle is the first time both parts are completed, which allows synthesis to happen.

3a) This is why we oppose Catalyst. He is preserving life at any cost using the Reapers, but to us it's not preservation at all. Hence the entire conflict. Once again, Catalyst only had one part of the puzzle. To him, there was no other solution until organics completed the Crucible.
    Actually for all we know the crucible was just another part of the catalyst's system. Sure, we think it's a device created by organics throughout the cycles but we never get an explanation as to what it does or is supposed to do. It's just a blueprint that...apparently requires the first AI to utilize.

Not to mention catalyst completely ignores that the geth and EDI are fighting alongside their creators and organics in the first time ever.

We get absolutely no closure on any thing except that at least we know humanity is kicking years later thanks to a cameo by the original moonwalker himself.
    The Prothean AI found on Thessia straight ups says the Crucible is created by organics, so I dunno what you're talking about. There is no "we think". The game tells us this is the case. Nobody sits down and explains what it's supposed to do, sure. But we fired the thing off. The result was synthesis, or control, or destruction. It produced the energy required for these galaxy-spanning reactions to occur.

And the rest of your post is speculation. There have been thousands of cycles. How do you know synthetics have never aided organics in the resistance against the Reapers? The only cycle we have any insight into is the Protheans. One of thousands. The point is that on an unlimited timeline, Catalyst believes or has determined that synthetics inevitably surpass and rebel against organics. Sure, EDI and the Geth aid us now, but a million years down the road, a new synthetic race will eventually kill us off.

I agree with you that the game needed more closure, but I think that fundamentally the Synthesis ending makes perfect sense. As I said before, the other two endings shouldn't even be there in my opinion.

Continued ending discussion:
    I'm not convinced the Crucible is created by organics. They said the design had been passed on for a long time, so there's no real evidence that it wasn't seeded by the Catalyst earlier on, and then just developed further by organics until it was done. I don't know what the repercussions of that would be, but whatever.

I'm also not convinced that the Catalyst is even right. He says that Shepard will die if he goes with the Reaper destruct-o option, but if you have enough special war points, then Shepard doesn't die. There's a good chance, I think, that at least some of the Geth could survive, especially the ones that get integrated into Quarian suits.
    Maybe that's the whole point then. If your line of thinking is correct, Catalyst knew that synthesis was theoretically possible and would solve the problem but couldn't devote the resources to solving the problem himself. Maybe because he needed to focus all his effort in continually wiping out organics, or maybe that half of the problem isn't solvable by a machine. Whatever his reasons for not doing it himself, he seeds it to organics and bides his time with his Reaper stop-gap solution until Shepard's cycle finishes it.

For the second part personally I'll defer to the judgement of an aeons-old super AI who has seen history repeat itself thousands of times on a galactic scale. I trust Catalyst's judgement in that regard. Maybe he is wrong and organics and synthetics could possibly coexist without sythesis, but we don't have much proof of that other than EDI and the Geth, while he's seen an endless amount of cycles to prove otherwise.
    And I would be perfectly fine believing the aeons-old super AI if it was actually brought up that we brokered a peace between our cycle's synthetics and organics but it isn't.

Hell, it's not even brought up that the geth and the quarians had achieved a symbiosis and we're working on rehabilitating the entire species for the old homeworld and aiding in reconstruction. If it truly was inevitable that they would go back to war I would have at least wanted a passing mention by the catalyst.

Edit: ugh, this is a horrible totp.

Inter_d on
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm late to the party, I just recently got the original Mass Effect. I have a question: Is it possible to make a cutom Shepard that DOESN'T look like a failed abortion? Also, which class for a first playthrough?

vanguard, all the way through to 3.

and eh.. in mass 1 it takes awhile to get the hang of a decent shep face, its easier in mass 2 but you have to start from scratch again if you want to alter it (unless you screenshot the face sliders and match em up and then tinker, thats what i did in my last run)

oh and you might want to actually do that since once you get to 3 importing your face is going to bug out if you havent tried to change it in 2, might be fixed by the time you get there though.

This is why I hate slider options in character generators. I have the kinda personality that has to get them JUST RIGHT. Thanks though.

• DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Man, every storyline quest in this game is so awesome.

Genophage:
    Running around under the reaper causing havoc while fighting Brute after Brute was utterly unlike anything I hav ever experienced in a video game.

Also: Mordin was my favorite :(

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    DVG wrote: »

Genophage:
    Running around under the reaper causing havoc while fighting Brute after Brute was utterly unlike anything I hav ever experienced in a video game.

He had to it!
    Someone else would have gotten it wrong.

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I have a problem. My game is crashing during a cutscene. Slight spoilers maybe?
    I'm on Eden Prime. I'm going to wake up this sleeping dude, but as soon as the cutscene where Shepard sees the recording play out finishes and the camera pans back, the game hangs for a second then crashes to the desktop. Help? D:

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I only tried the Argus in the firing range, but man I hated its slow refire and slow burst and huge climb.

On bonus powers, the greatest of all tragedies: adrenaline rush evolution only allows an offensive power, meaning not Marksman, so my dream of slow-mo sniper Revenant has been crushed. Then I spent a long time deciding which of the two to level for now, since I don't actually have the Rev on this character yet. I'm just happy to find that bonuses are universal, so my soldier who sacrificed Ashley due to redundancies can still get it as a bonus power because my other Shep has her alive.
    I'm late to the party, I just recently got the original Mass Effect. I have a question: Is it possible to make a cutom Shepard that DOESN'T look like a failed abortion? Also, which class for a first playthrough?

@Gigazombie Cybermage, ME1? I'd vote adept. Soft in the beginning when your cooldowns are massive, but by the end you can spam your power bar and have your first power recharged by the time you get to the end, and have everyone up on the ceiling during that time. Biotics are way different in ME1 than the later games, so you should check them out while they're in god mode. Also, the pistol is the strongest weapon in the game when using its weapon skill.

Also watch out, this thread is going to constantly spoiler anything that isn't ME3. You should probably just stay out, only dropping in to ask questions (like if you get the Therum black lava texture bug) and ignoring all the posts except responses that notify you with the @ thing.

Also also, http://www.masseffect2faces.com/ -- there's a ME2->ME1 face code converter there once you find one you like.

For ME1 you should just pick soldier, set it to casual, and blare through the combat as fast as possible. It gets MUCH better in ME2.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    So Im thinking of getting this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180836327046&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:AU:1123#ht_2531wt_1396

only im a bit concerned about it being the 'NTSC-J' version despite it also listing it as 'region free'

Ive got a PAL console and I order new games from Hong Kong pretty regularly and they're always fine just wondering if NTSC-J 'version' means it will only run on Japanese consoles.

• flapjackflapjack Registered User regular
    Quick Cortez question.
    So, as a male Shepard, I can either just ignore him in the club or talk to him and tell him that I'm more into the ladies to keep going with my ME1/2 relationship, right?

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I know we joke about it...but ME3 has pretty much solidified that Shepard is Space Jesus.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Soldier is super boring in ME1 and the only thing you gain as that class is survivability. Go casual, sure, but biotics are bonkers fun in ME1.

s7Imn5J.png
    flapjack wrote: »
    Quick Cortez question.
    So, as a male Shepard, I can either just ignore him in the club or talk to him and tell him that I'm more into the ladies to keep going with my ME1/2 relationship, right?
    Yup.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So I'm 11 hours in, which means I'm about half way through the game. Cool.

Playing on hard core. There are still a bunch of guns I don't have: specifically, the ones I care about are the Phalanx, Hand Cannon, and Paladin.

Also, in multiplayer I have the shittiest weapons. They may have upped the unlock rate for aliens (I've gotten turian sentinel twice now) but I would really like a decent assault rifle.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Is it possible to do an ME2 run where everyone except Shep dies?

• DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Also grunt:
    When he stumbled out covered in blood and said "Anyone got something to eat?" I lost it.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • BerkshireBerkshire Earth Federal Forces MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    So multiplayer...Banshees are terrifying. When we finally took one down tonight after being wrecked by them over and over again (all still low-level characters) there was audible cheering from the three of us. When it came time to extract on Firebase White, there were two brutes and another banshee bearing down on us. The brutes went down and we knocked her barrier off, but then she was all up in our business in the LZ. Fortunately, right before she downed my buddy, she took a blast from my disciple and it put her down, then the dropship showed up just in time.

Seriously, those things are terrifying. No wonder that asari commando in Huerta Memorial is so addled.

"And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    GT: FootlongKaPow
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Is it possible to do an ME2 run where everyone except Shep dies?

nope

need two squadmates to survive otherwise Shepard dies too

• BerkshireBerkshire Earth Federal Forces MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    @SniperGuy: IIRC, you need to have at least two squadmates survive or Shep doesn't.

"And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    GT: FootlongKaPow
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Thing I hate most about the ending
    Your choices for the last 3 games

MEANINGLESS

None of it makes a goddamn bit of difference. You do all that, and oh here's 3 fucking buttons pick your ending. It soured me so much on human revolution I haven't touched it since, why the fuck would Bioware repeat that

And maybe it's just me but seriously why couldn't we get a single "shepard wins the day" ending?

I wanted to see Shepard and Liara sitting around playing with a little blue child while a city gets rebuilt in the background or something for at least one of the endings. I mean after the devastation of the story there's no sunshine and lollipops ending, but the entire game was dark and depressing, the endings we got were silly, stupid, and depressing in that order

Yes I wanted one of the endings to be this god damnit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB9FltZf_70

Seeing a picture of society rebuilding and ending on an optimistic note

override367 on
  • Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    DVG wrote: »

Genophage:

He had to it!
    Someone else would have gotten it wrong.
    I tried to fight it so hard but I cried.

Had to take a break, watch something funny on youtube and then go back to playing.

...and still had to fight back tears as I kept thinking of Mordin. He was a good guy.

Thankfully, Kai leng switched me from mourning to full on rage mode. I'm hard pressed to think of anyone I wanted more dead than that guy.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I honestly dislike the increased unlock for aliens.

Keep me from getting any decent guns. Well...I've gotten a few but I would like a few more.

MEANINGLESS

None of it makes a goddamn bit of difference. You do all that, and oh here's 3 fucking buttons pick your ending.

It soured me so much on human revolution I haven't touched it since, why the fuck would Bioware repeat that

You know I really don't understand this.
    At the end of the day the choices you make are the choices you make. Saying something is meaningless because things didn't turn out the way you wanted them to is pretty silly, imo.

I mean I've read the ending and I know that Shepard is going to bite it for the most part. Yet I don't think that somehow invalidates the conversations I have with squadmates about what we're going to do once everything is over.

The choices you made at the time were in the best interests of the galaxy simple as that.

That being said I have a much different perspective on these kinds of games than other people.

Dragkonias on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I just heavy melee'd a brute to death.

I need new pants.

edited March 2012
    Pfft, I got two atlas melee kills last multiplayer game i played

(in that, I charged and heavy meleed when they were at one armor, but charge->backflip->nova is the best way to take out brutes, banshees, and atlases as a vangod)

override367 on
    edited March 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Keep me from getting any decent guns. Well...I've gotten a few but I would like a few more.

MEANINGLESS

None of it makes a goddamn bit of difference. You do all that, and oh here's 3 fucking buttons pick your ending.

It soured me so much on human revolution I haven't touched it since, why the fuck would Bioware repeat that

At the end of the day the choices you make are the choices you make. Saying something is meaningless because things didn't turn out the way you wanted them to is pretty silly, imo.

I mean I've read the ending and I know that Shepard is going to bite it for the most part. Yet I don't think that somehow invalidates the conversations I have with squadmates about what we're going to do once everything is over.

The choices you made at the time were in the best interests of the galaxy simple as that.

That being said I have a much different perspective on these kinds of games than other people.
    I'm saying the choices I made were meaningless because they had no effect on the outcome, the game just told us "here are the endings, pick one" and we get nothing beyond that

What happened with the quarians, most of their population is on Rannoc, how are they doing?
    Since the Salarians are mostly intact, are they now the dominant power in the galaxy?
    How long until the races were in contact with each other again?
    WHY DID THE NORMANDY CRASH, AND WHERE THE HELL IS THAT PLANET AT?!

Yeah lets spend 100 hours on our character and making choices then get hit by a bus and fade to black, that's a satisfying conclusion

override367 on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    i'm having a sound bug in multiplayer i'm trying to figure out a. if anyone else has seen it and b. wtf the sound even is. It sounds like kind of a very loud pulsating..i dunno, stereotypical electric current/shield regenerating noise, it's so loud I need to turn off the sound when playing multiplayer, but if i die, and spectate other people, it stops. Anyone have any ideas?

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Late game spoilers and DLC squadmate spoiler
    Tali being drunk was amazingly funny, but she keeps talking like Miranda died in that last mission, when she totally did not.

Also, going down to engineering and hearing her drunk dial the Prothean was probably one of my favorite overheard conversations ever.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

MEANINGLESS

I'm saying the choices I made were meaningless because they had no effect on the outcome, the game just told us "here are the endings, pick one" and we get nothing beyond that

What happened with the quarians, most of their population is on Rannoc, how are they doing?
    Since the Salarians are mostly intact, are they now the dominant power in the galaxy?

Yeah lets spend 100 hours on our character and making choices then get hit by a bus and fade to black, that's a satisfying conclusion
    I really have to agree with Override on this one. I finished it last night and, damn, I was disappointed. Nothing on how the survivors are coping with mass relays being destroyed or how Ashley (assumed pregnant because telling Shepard, "I love you," is how Shepard spreads his seed), Tali, bro-Garrus or anyone else is doing afterward.

It really was, "Here, we have made you attatched to this main character over three games, countless decisions and now, at the end, we're just going to have you press a button to get an ending." And I mean, I guess it's implied that people didn't make it back into space with the ending I got, but it kind of made me feel like crap for investing so much time.

I suppose what I'm trying to say, is that it could have been done better.

Compainion spoilers?
    Walking in on Garrus and Tali in the main battery and seeing them being all hug-y and embarassed made me chorttle.

Can't wait to see Ash's face when my renegade Shepard tells her that him and Tali are a thing in my next run.

Extreaminatus on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Oh god, this is it guys. I'm launching the final, final assault.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

edited March 2012

MEANINGLESS

Have you ever thought that the reason those things are
    uncertain because they are uncertain?

I think people underestimate just what the ending means. At the end of ME3 for better or for worse you have pretty much stopped thr Reapers. You have stopped a race of sentient beings who have been guiding the galaxy by their plans for millions of years now.

And that's why I think the end of ME3 is great. Because for the first time in those years the universe is finally free of Reapers. Which while refreshing also leaves a sense of uncertainty. Remember that the galaxy has been dependent on Reaper tech to the point where they never bothered to understand, that's gone and with it a future with many possibilities.

Also, problem I have with those questions is that yeah they would be nice to know but at the end of the day those aren't things that need to be answered immediately.

Mass Effect has always been Shepard's story and his/her quest to stop the Reapers. That's it. All that other stuff about the Krogans, Quarians, etc while nice were just there to help paint the universe.

And ME3 does end Shepard's story(which is actually why the special ending annoys me). And even though Shepard's story ends the story of the universe is still ongoing it doesn't have a definite conclusion. If anything the destruction of the Reapers just opens more mysteries.

As for what will come of Shepard's actions who knows, and I believe that's the point. Many things could happen.

I don't know I think people are so used to having things spelled out for them that they can't appreciate an open ending.

Dragkonias on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So when do we start getting new pistols? So far I have the default and a rapid fire one I think came with the N7 kit. I miss my Carnifex hand cannon badly

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    edited March 2012
    ME3 ending question:
    What's "the special ending" in broad terms?

Extreaminatus on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    Khildith wrote: »
    Late game spoilers and DLC squadmate spoiler
    Tali being drunk was amazingly funny, but she keeps talking like Miranda died in that last mission, when she totally did not.

Also, going down to engineering and hearing her drunk dial the Prothean was probably one of my favorite overheard conversations ever.
    I'm pretty sure Tali was upset over how Miranda spent her life defying her father, while Tali spent her life trying to be what her dad wanted her to be.

Ending spoilers
    Basically you get a teaser that Shepard might not be dead.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Oh my fucking God. I can't fucking stop laughing.

*final mission spoilers*
    GARRUS AND TALI SITTING IN A TREE, K-I-S-S-I-N-G.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    So i finished it. Ill need time to digest.

I will say Quarians are assholes. Just the biggest ones ever.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    So, the ending...
    I just shut my Xbox off right at the end. I was already disappointed at how they handled TIM (indoctrination again?), but after that what the hell. Now I don't even want to finish the game. I just don't care anymore. I'm just going to pretend we got to Earth, kicked Reaper ass, then partied on the Normandy all night long.

MEANINGLESS

I think people underestimate just what the ending means. At the end of ME3 for better or for worse you have pretty much stopped thr Reapers. You have stopped a race of sentient beings who have been guiding the galaxy by their plans for millions of years now.

And that's why I think the end of ME3 is great. Because for the first time in those years the universe is finally free of Reapers. Which while refreshing also leaves a sense of uncertainty. Remember that the galaxy has been dependent on Reaper tech to the point where they never bothered to understand, that's gone and with it a future with many possibilities.

Also, problem I have with those questions is that yeah they would be nice to know but at the end of the day those aren't things that need to be answered immediately.

Mass Effect has always been Shepard's story and his/her quest to stop the Reapers. That's it. All that other stuff about the Krogans, Quarians, etc while nice were just there to help paint the universe.

And ME3 does end Shepard's story(which is actually why the special ending annoys me). And even though Shepard's story ends the story of the universe is still ongoing it doesn't have a definite conclusion. If anything the destruction of the Reapers just opens more mysteries.

As for what will come of Shepard's actions who knows, and I believe that's the point. Many things could happen.

I don't know I think people are so used to having things spelled out for them that they can't appreciate an open ending.
    End spoilers
    But that's the point. That's why people are
    upset. An open ending isn't an ending. We're attached to far more than just Shep and we don't get to see the outcomes of any of those other decisions. Some of those stories are just as important as the reapers and we don't get to see any conclusions for them. It's terribly unsatisfying. If the last episode of Star Wars was Empire Strikes Back people would be pissed. Vader defeats son and friends, goes to rule the galaxy. You wanted to find out what happened to Han/Lando/Luke/Chewie/Droids and friends? Sorry, the story was about Vader. This may be a terrible analogy.

• KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Starting what I think is the last mission. See you on the other side.

Khildith on
    Oh my fucking God. I can't fucking stop laughing.

*final mission spoilers*
    GARRUS AND TALI SITTING IN A TREE, K-I-S-S-I-N-G.

That was a really nice touch, I felt.

Mid-game Garrus quote:
    "I'm Garrus Vakarian and this is my favorite spot on The Citadel," made me have to go outside for a breather.

• jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular

Ending spoilers
    Basically you get a teaser that Shepard might not be dead.

woah woah woah

Can you elaborate?

edited March 2012
    SniperGuy wrote: »

MEANINGLESS

End spoilers
    But that's the point. That's why people are
    upset. An open ending isn't an ending. We're attached to far more than just Shep and we don't get to see the outcomes of any of those other decisions. Some of those stories are just as important as the reapers and we don't get to see any conclusions for them. It's terribly unsatisfying. If the last episode of Star Wars was Empire Strikes Back people would be pissed. Vader defeats son and friends, goes to rule the galaxy. You wanted to find out what happened to Han/Lando/Luke/Chewie/Droids and friends? Sorry, the story was about Vader. This may be a terrible analogy.

And that's something I think people generally need to start getting over. As someone who has been apart of ME since the beginning I can tell you...
    that the things that keep people talking about the series are the indefinites. People discussing Quarians vs. Geth, the Genophage, even aspects of certain characters. We discussed those things because there were no definite answers. And because of this you could get many different interpretations of the same situation because of how people looked at them.

Even ME3 is like that. Take for instance the Krogan/Turian conflict or the Geth/Quarian conflict. Even though you can "solve" both of those they are both left very open.

Like I helped saved the Krogan but even then I understand the risk that it poses(the game itself even does this, supporting both sides so there isn't a "right"). I mean I can place hope in Wrex and Eve and hope they do the right thing, or maybe even then the same mistakes will be repeated over.

Who knows? And that's why it is fun to debate those things.

If the game just spells it out for you then you lose that.

Dragkonias on
This discussion has been closed.