As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Metastasis, a [mini-Phalla] - Game Over. Mafia Victory.

MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Critical Failures
Metastasis, a [mini-Phalla]

This is an experimental mini-Phalla for up to 30 players. I am running this game to get an idea of how powerful a particular game mechanic is in order to properly balance an upcoming main. As a result, I have little idea how this will play out. I have run some simulations to try to balance the teams but there are surely strategies and abuses I am not considering that could make the village significantly more powerful than I expect. Because I am running this Phalla to estimate power, I am going to request that you cc me on all PMs between players. This isn’t a rule, but will help me immensely, and will thereby help you if you plan on playing in my Majora’s Mask phalla. As always, also include me in any proboards created. This is a rule.

Confused? Click here for an explanation of what Phalla is, then !sign up by posting in bold lime green or some other bright color to declare you intentions. All the standard rules listed there apply here. The most important are:
  1. No communication (about this game) between living players and dead players.
  2. No using screenshots or other methods to attempt to verify information as being given by the host or other players.
  3. No speaking in code or languages unknown to all participants (apparently mods get in a huff about this).
  4. Do not add people to conversations. Proboards are a kind of exception to this rule, so recognize that if you accept an invitation to a proboard, your conversations could be shown to future entrants.
While this may not be the most newbie-friendly game, I encourage people of all experiences to join, especially if you don’t mind being a bit confused.

So what can you expect from this game? We will be following Rose, a 40-something woman battling leukemia. The cancer (mafia) will be attempting to metastasize by converting a critical mass of Rac1 proteins. Most villagers will be playing the role of white blood cells which have an unusual ability detailed below. In addition, both white blood cells and cancer cells regenerate every 3 days. At the end of every 3-day period, all dead white blood cells and cancer cells will be brought back into the game (those that die on days 3, 6, etc. will be shown to have died but will experience no down time). As a result, the roles of players eligible to be regenerated will not be revealed on death. Temporarily dead players must follow all the rules of the dead regarding communication, and must also not speak to other dead players regarding the game.

Every day you must vote in bold red for someone to be eliminated. Failure to vote will result in a mark of inactivus. It is not yet determined how many marks are required for removal/replacement, but it will not be large (maximum 2), and it will be strictly observed. Players voted out of the game are eliminated and not eligible for regeneration.

The default villager role PM is that of a white blood cell, and will not actually be sent out. It’s in the spoiler tag.
You are a: White Blood Cell

Each day, you may choose one player to attack. Barring any interference, both you and target will die if and only if that player is a cancer cell. Never fear, though, as you will regenerate on days that are multiples of 3. Your role is not revealed on death (though it is revealed if eliminated via other means).

Victory Condition Eliminate all cancer cells before it can metastasize.

Common questions and clarifications:
Q: Thralls, millers, conversions?
A: No, no, Rac1 proteins may be converted

Q: Order of actions?
A: Vote -> Disruptive actions -> White Blood Cell attacks -> Cancer Cell attacks and other active abilities -> Regeneration

Q: Any neutrals or other weird roles?
A: No neutrals. Some roles may be weird in implementation but nothing more than a retread of well established roles, barring the obvious experimental mechanic.

Q: How does the village win?
A: All cancer cells must be dead at some point in time (this can even be in the period between attacks and regeneration on mod 3 days).

Q: Is there a limit to the number of regenerations? Isn't this game going to go on forever?
A: No, and no.

Q: Will a white blood cell attacking a converted rac1 protein cell kill it?
A: Yes

Q: Will the village win if all initial cancer cells are dead regardless of rac1 conversions?
A: No.

Q: If multiple white cells attack a cancer cell do they all die?
A: Yes.

Q: Are the dead valid targets for the vote?
A: Yes.

Q: Are Rac1 proteins village-aligned?
A: At the start of the game, yes.

Q: Do cancerous RAC Proteins die forever when attacked by WBCs?
A: Yes. Cancerous Rac1 proteins die to white blood cell attacks just like any other cancerous cell. Rac1 proteins are not eligible for regeneration.

In case you did not read it above: Please include me in PMs of all conversations, especially those that discuss the use of the white blood cell mechanic. Feel free to ask any clarifying questions in bold dark orange. I may respond to questions in the inferior regular orange, but do not press your luck. Vote closes at 8:00 PM EST each day (1:00 AM GMT).

Player list:
  1. Gaslight
  2. ObiFett
  3. Capfalcon
  4. stever777
  5. SLyM
  6. I needed a name to post.
  7. Assuran
  8. sportzboytjw
  9. Cayrus Taya
  10. The Anonymous
  11. jdarksun
  12. Nirya
  13. romanqwerty
  14. Cythraul
  15. Bedlam, Rac1 Protein
  16. Langly, Cancerous cell
  17. Retaba
  18. REG Rysk
  19. kime
  20. Void Slayer, Rac1 Protein
  21. Smoove Operator, White Blood Cell
  22. SeGaTai, Cancerous Rac1 Protein
  23. JABMonkey
  24. tzeentchling
  25. Phyphor
  26. KetBra
  27. Baidol
  28. Anialos
  29. Shabooty
  30. Vertroue

Narrations:
Prologue
Chapter 1: Diagnosis
Chapter 2: Tumult
Chapter 3: Self-Destruction

MrTLicious on

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Guinea Pig #1 reporting for duty!
    This post was never written in red for some inexplicable stupid reason, certainly not so close to St. Patrick's Day, no sir...

Gaslight on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    !sign up

ObiFett on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I'm making a note here, HUGE SUCCESS

I hope.

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    signy

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    for science

liEt3nH.png
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    !Look at me still talking while there is science to do

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    OFC

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Sign me up!

...but first, will there be cake and/or grief counselling?

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Not until after the battle.
    That may be a lie.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Can't wait to have the whole mafia from the last mini grudge me forever!

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »

The best thing is that they can kill you multiple times! Probably!

Capfalcon wrote: »

The best thing is that they can kill you multiple times! Probably!

I can't wait to be a white blood cell and be voted out each round.

Actually wait. Does the vote winner die for good? I would assume so but who knows.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Put me down for this clinical trial.

romanqwerty on
    edited March 2012
    Does the vote winner die for good? I would assume so but who knows.
    MrTLicious wrote:
    Players voted out of the game are eliminated and not eligible for regeneration.

Capfalcon on
    Well screw you reading is hard.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    I'm HIV, the SK!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Signup

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    hope I don't get the placebo

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Needle goes where!?

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    This seems interesting, and my finals are done! MOAR!

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Interesting...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    Nice Osmosis Jones avatar, Void

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    SIgnup-I here new things are hip and edgy

PSN SeGaTai
  • JABMonkeyJABMonkey Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    Perfect timing! Sign up!

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I'll give it a try. So we can either vote the mafia off, or I guess the white blood cells can kill all the mafia at once? ie if all the cancer cells are killed before they can regen in 3 days, village win?

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Can't kill me permanently for the box now!

edited March 2012
    If all the cancer cells are killed before they can regen in 3 days, village win?

Correct. If all the cancer cells are dead at any point in time, the village wins.

Also, order of actions modified to be slightly more precise.

MrTLicious on
    edited March 2012
    Ah, I didn't think about how this might affect the Box.

Similar to Fight Club Phalla (I think it was that one), Phyphor, you may make your box an official thing if you'd like. Otherwise, you will need to disable it during the periods that you are temporarily dead.

MrTLicious on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Sign me up!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Wow only 5 more till max. That is kind of nuts for one day.

Do you still regenerate after being voted out?

Is there a time limit if everyone keeps regenerating? Or a limit to the number of regenerations?

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Let's break out some old-school cancer treatment with cis-platin

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    Does the vote winner die for good? I would assume so but who knows.
    MrTLicious wrote:
    Players voted out of the game are eliminated and not eligible for regeneration.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Ah, I didn't think about how this might affect the Box.

Similar to Fight Club Phalla (I think it was that one), Phyphor, you may make your box an official thing if you'd like. Otherwise, you will need to disable it during the periods that you are temporarily dead.

I'll do that. Easier to just keep it active. I like easy

edited March 2012
    Bedlam wrote: »

Is there a time limit if everyone keeps regenerating? Or a limit to the number of regenerations?

Sorry I didn't answer this earlier when Nirya asked. Capfalcon is right, you do not regenerate after being voted out.

There is no limit on regenerations. While this may make it seem like the game will go on forever (as mine are wont to do), the mechanics and mafia win condition are such that they are sure to win after a relatively short period of time if not stopped. I anticipate that this shouldn't go much over 6 days, if it even reaches that. There's a reasonable probability that it will be very short, indeed.

MrTLicious on
    The village eats itself to death on Day 1.

Baidol wrote: »
    The village eats itself to death on Day 1.

Everyone eat the person below you and hope there aren't two mafias in a row!