As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    You could always use pins too, have one coming out of their food...

Best typo ever.

Also, I wasn't judging that guy on his list, just his attitude towards a game with someone who doesn't know the rules properly.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Conversely, though, were I able to crack those four land raiders, that's half his list, right there. Then I just need to get three sqauds of devastators and thier priest giving them FNP, and Mephiston. Oh, and the two small tac squads.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    KublaKhan wrote: »
    I put together the new Tervigon kit last night, really nice kit, it's appropriately... gross. Best thing is, I put my Trygon behind it afterward and it easily blocks 50% LOS from about a 70 degree cone in front. Not going to be using that much beyond the first turn, but it's nice to have as an option. Looking forward to putting together my foot tyrant, but not sure how to organize the LW/BS between him and the guards, I should probably bust out the magnets.

The problem is, even on the first turn, you're hiding a frontline brawler behind a backline supporter which is going to actually be the primary target rather than the brawler.

If anyone sees a Trygon hiding behind a Tervigon, they're going to thank the Tyranid player, take the Tervigon kill and deprive you of FNP, more Termagants, and an S5 large template all coming from the scoring monstrous creature and deal with the Trygon later.

Regarding Shrikes, I really wish they gave Primes wing and Ravener tail options. If you could attach a Prime to a Shrike or Ravener squad, I think we'd see those squads used a bit more. A Prime would add some needed resilience to the unit.

You are probably totally right about my bad hiding decision, I've been waiting for the Tervigons for so long I've taken to using a completely horde/mid nid army and I have little idea how to use MCs. That being said, showing up with 172 models to a game in a area where the meta game is completely about how much you can min/max your SW transports always result in ridiculous games, I need to learn how to use those MCs.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I wasn't trying to be snarky, just that target priorities alone means the Tervigon will be public enemy number 1 from the start of the game. It's a really good support unit - especially for a horde army!

If you are running that many models, I assume a lot are Termagants? Yeah, Tervigons are a huge force multiplier for Termagants. Having it keep up with the battle line (though appropriately shielded by terrain) and a few Termagants from each squad conga-lined back towards it to keep them all within 6" (you only need 1 Termagant from a squad within 6" to give the whole unit the benefits) grants your huge Termagant blob counter attack and, if you give the Tervigon adrenal glands and toxin sacs, those as well.

For more hilarity, if you stick a Venomthrope behind the Tervigon, and make sure the conga lines reach 6" of the Venomthrope, they all get a 5+ cover save and anyone trying to assault them takes dangerous terrain tests. The Venomthrope can easily completely hide behind a Tervigon as well. Unfortuntely, everyone knows this, because it's one of the best synergy examples in the Tyranid book, and Tervigons and Venomthropes are targetted as soon as possible.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Problem with conga lining is they only get the benefits from the Tervigon if they are within 6" after assault moves. Really shitty.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    What point level does his fit these 4 land raiders into?

• Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote: »

It sounded like there were beaucoup devastators and Mephiston, too. I'm wondering what was in the land raiders.

• Options
    Sharp101 wrote: »

2000 points. It really leaves him with little room for anything else. But I can't bust 'em, and Mephiston wrecks my shit.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    4 Raiders - 1000pts
    Mephiston - 250?
    Devs - 200?

That leaves what, 550 for two Assault squads?

Crazy.

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    mepeston, 4 5 man assault squads with fist and a melta in LR redeemers w/EA and multimelta, 2 5man dev squads with 4 missiles is 1970 points

The redeemers taken that way are only 230 because of the assault squad discount. 10 points more expensive a piece to make them crusaders w/EA and melta, 230 again for godhammers with EA.

My last guard list had 9 melta guns, 9 twin linked lascannons and 9 plasmaguns, plus a squad with 10 meltabombs (edit: plus a manticore, go S10 large blasts!), Would kinda like to fight that list.

Ogotai on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Right. He had two Redeemers and two Land Raiders. Three 5 man Dev squads, with one lascannon and three missile launchers each. Mephiston. I think that's what he had today. Usually he takes Death Company and two stormravens instead of the 4 land raiders and the dev squads.

Oh, and the two smallest tac squads he can.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Damn is that what this game is now? entirely mechanized?

• Options
    either had to have had zero upgrades on the assault squads, or no extra armor on the the tanks and 1-2 upgrades on the assaults. Thats the only way that fits in 2k.

I like to know what he thinks hes going to do with that list at a tourny, some really common armies can destroy it. DE, mech IG, some necrons, even some eldar list i've played. Though he may get lucky with matchups and get paired with a bunch of grey knights (who have huge problems with land raiders in most list), and adepticon will probably have a shit ton of GK players.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I don't think he had any assault squads. He uses Mephiston and the Death Company for that. And like I said, he usually plays two redeemers and two stormravens. I hate stormravens now.

However, when he gets through with sniper school and goes back to Chicago, I will most likely not get to play as much.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I meant in the 4 land raider list, there is no way that stuff fits in 2k points with out taking the landraiders as transports for assault squads to get discounts. And dedicated transports is the only way to get the land raiders in the BA book, unless he did something silly like take two of them as transports for the devs technically and two minimal troops of some type for the other two.

• Options
    Oh, yeah, he took at least two of them as dedicated transports for something or other.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Damn is that what this game is now? entirely mechanized?

Yeah, pretty much.

Well, for most 'above average players' anyways. The REALLY good players have balanced, flexible lists, for the most part.

• Options
    So crazy list idea for using some of my stuff as Elysians plus the vultures im looking at getting.

3 vultures- 2 rocket pods and 6 HK missiles each (can try to alpha some transports, then go infantry hunting, or could swap to 4 rocket pods for the same cost)
    3 vendettas

lord commisar-power weapon and homing beacon (reroll scatter for DS within 12inch)
    vet squad with 3 melta
    2 vet squads with 3 plasma

platoon
    -PCS w/vox, plasma gun, plasma pistol
    -3 infantry squads with flamers and PW sarges, 1 with vox and commisar w/pw
    -heavy weapon squad with 3 missiles
    -2 special weapon squads with 3 meltas.

Fun things, all the infantry can deepstrike if needed, or deploy or send 3 units to ride the vendettas if needed. Probably wont work as well as I would hope, but alot of stuff is going to die one way or another. Going to try out the vultures as heavy support for my armored company list (proxying with the vendettas) this weekend and see how they work.

• Options
    Anyone up for some Vassal in the next 30 minutes or so?

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I'd be down.

• Options
    Meet me in the main channel

• Options
    Gotta have some demo packs for antics if you're deep striking or vendetta'ing.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Meet me in the main channel

Will do. I'm at work, so I may have to go dark sometimes if I get a page.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    [Edit] Looks like the server just reset. I'm the only man on now. hah.

TraceofToxin on
  • Options
    ToT vs. Extreaminatus.

The bugs have an easy meal tonight, children!

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    saluksic wrote:
    Holy balls, those are sweet Necrons. Are those yours, Dayspring?

Nope, just found them on my travels.
    There are some cool conversions and the neon/glowinthedark paint is interesting, but the actual paint jobs look a bit rubbish

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh, yeah, he took at least two of them as dedicated transports for something or other.

All of them are Dedicated Transports. BA can't take them otherwise.

Mephiston
    3x Devs w/ 1x LasC, 3xML
    2x LRR
    2x LR
    2x naked Tactical squad

That list is 1845. At 2k, you could flesh out the tacticals, or add some upgrades to the LRs. There are much cheaper, and cost efficient ways to get 4 LRs into a BA list, but I guess he just liked Devs? :P

EDIT: See, this is a much better BA LR Spam list at 2k :P
    2000 Pts - Blood Angels Roster

HQ: Mephiston, Lord of Death (1#, 250 pts)
    . . 1 Mephiston, Lord of Death, 250 pts ((C:BA, pg. 47); Unit Type: Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Artificer Armour; Psychic Hood; Force Sword; Plasma Pistol; And They Shall Know No Fear; Fleet; Psyker; Transfixing Gaze; The Sanguine Sword; Unleash Rage; Wings of Sanguinius)

Heavy Support: Devastator Squad (6#, 385 pts)
    . . 4 Devastator Squad, 385 pts ((C:BA, pg. 26); Unit Type: Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Bolt Pistol x4; Lascannon x1; Missile Launcher x3; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; The Red Thirst)
    . . . . 1 Sergeant ((C:BA, pg. 26); Unit Type: Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Signum; Bolt Pistol; Bolter; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; The Red Thirst)
    . . . . 1 Land Raider Redeemer ((C:BA, pg. 37); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Transport Capacity: 12 models; Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 0; Frag Assault Launchers; Smoke Launchers; 2x Flamestorm Cannons; Twin-Linked Assault Cannon; Assault Vehicle; Deep Strike; Power of the Machine Spirit)

Troops: Assault Squad (7#, 333 pts)
    . . 4 Assault Squad, 333 pts ((C:BA, pg. 25); Unit Type: Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Remove Jump Packs; Bolt Pistol x4; Chainsword x4; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Descent of Angels; The Red Thirst)
    . . . . 1 Assault Marine with Meltagun ((C:BA, pg. 25); Unit Type: Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Remove Jump Packs; Chainsword; Meltagun; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Descent of Angels; The Red Thirst)
    . . . . 1 Sergeant ((C:BA, pg. 25); Unit Type: Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Remove Jump Packs; Bolt Pistol; Close Combat Weapon; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Descent of Angels; The Red Thirst)
    . . . . 1 Land Raider Redeemer ((C:BA, pg. 37); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Transport Capacity: 12 models; Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 0; Frag Assault Launchers; Smoke Launchers; 2x Flamestorm Cannons; Twin-Linked Assault Cannon; Assault Vehicle; Deep Strike; Power of the Machine Spirit)

Troops: Assault Squad (7#, 333 pts)
    . . 4 Assault Squad, 333 pts ((C:BA, pg. 25); Unit Type: Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Remove Jump Packs; Bolt Pistol x4; Chainsword x4; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Descent of Angels; The Red Thirst)
    . . . . 1 Assault Marine with Meltagun ((C:BA, pg. 25); Unit Type: Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Remove Jump Packs; Chainsword; Meltagun; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Descent of Angels; The Red Thirst)
    . . . . 1 Sergeant ((C:BA, pg. 25); Unit Type: Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Remove Jump Packs; Bolt Pistol; Close Combat Weapon; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Descent of Angels; The Red Thirst)

Troops: Assault Squad (7#, 343 pts)
    . . 4 Assault Squad, 343 pts ((C:BA, pg. 25); Unit Type: Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Remove Jump Packs; Bolt Pistol x4; Chainsword x4; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Descent of Angels; The Red Thirst)
    . . . . 1 Land Raider ((C:BA, pg. 37); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Transport Capacity: 10 models; Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 0; Smoke Launchers; 2x Twin Linked Lascannons; Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter; Assault Vehicle; Deep Strike; Power of the Machine Spirit)

Troops: Assault Squad (7#, 343 pts)
    . . 4 Assault Squad, 343 pts ((C:BA, pg. 25); Unit Type: Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Remove Jump Packs; Bolt Pistol x4; Chainsword x4; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Descent of Angels; The Red Thirst)
    . . . . 1 Land Raider ((C:BA, pg. 37); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Transport Capacity: 10 models; Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 0; Smoke Launchers; 2x Twin Linked Lascannons; Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter; Assault Vehicle; Deep Strike; Power of the Machine Spirit)

Total Roster Cost: 1987

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    FIVE!?

• Options
    Well yeah. Mephiston needs his own, of course

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    He normally doesn't use devastators. He was just playing around with that list.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Herein lies the story of Extreaminatus being brutally violated at the hands of the dice gods.

Pretty standard deployment on both sides. I managed 12" on the top squad, bottom squad is just hiding in the terrain. Looked to me like he wanted to use the defilers down one side and the rhinos up the other.

deploy1.jpg

By the end of the first turn I had made one Defiler useless and wiped out one troop. Despite all my efforts to reduce my attacks (Taking my casualties from the front, conga lining, etc.) he rolled terribly and I rolled like some sort of magical wildabeast. Left me with my weiner dangling in the wind!

turn1aassault.jpg

At the end of his turn he managed to kill 4 Genestealers. He would not roll above average, often rolling 10-20% below average, while I was making 8/10 saves on a 4+. It was pretty bad. Things began to look grim.

turn1bshoot.jpg

Another turn and another round of Hive Guard wrecking shop and Genestealers being ridiculous. I'm not accustomed to rolling hot, so was completely overshooting my expectations on combats. He continued to roll poorly but managed to keep a few mans alive through the round.

turn2aassault.jpg

After his Chosen came in on the wrong side and his lord/raptors stayed in reserve, Extream's morale was at an all time low. In combat his power weapons picked up the pace, doing 4 wounds out of 6 attacks, and standing out as the single set of dice he rolled above the average the entire game. It managed to pull him a draw in combat, but by this point the game was pretty much over. We agreed to call it on the account of rigged dice.

turn2bassault.jpg

Post game thoughts - I've never faced a Slaanesh army before, and was not impressed by the sonic blasters. At 5 points a head they're really not efficient. The Ap3 template, however, is fantastic and definitely would've been brutal if I hadn't rolled FNP like that shit was my job. I can imagine the damage it'd do to MEQ. I've never been a fan of Defilers, and facing them off against Hive Guard is, in my experience, never a good matchup. Even with a more reserved deployment and launching battlecannons long range, I'm not confident with their ability to really do much damage.

Sadly, the dice turned what could've been a good game into a route. I made at least 75% of my 4+ saves, and he couldn't hit 50% on a 4+ if he'd had a reroll. Overall we both had fun, a bunch of other folks watching the game enjoyed talking with us, and it was generally a good spirited game. I look forward to playing Extreme again, as he was a good sport despite whatever Deity it is he pissed off spitting in his eyes the whole game.

TraceofToxin on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Vassal has the worst D6 roller. I don't understand it.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    It's just an RNG. It's usually pretty good but every now and then it can be pretty bad. Much like real dice.

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've been playing this game for years now and i've never seen dice like that. But who knows. It just seems more streaky than normal dice.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    altmann wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been playing this game for years now and i've never seen dice like that. But who knows. It just seems more streaky than normal dice.

I suppose. I think it's just easier to see the streaks because of the presentation of the numbers.

• Options
    I think the Vassal dice RNG'er is poorly coded to the point where its streaky as fuck for one person. I think I've played Altmann 4 or 5 times with it, and everytime one of us rolls like we sold our soul to the devil, and the other one has dice that have 1's on 5 sides.

I think if we play again, we're just going to roll dice on our desks, because I know I can trust him to be honest. Fucking Vassal dice ftl

• Options
    Lol rolling on the table for Vassal games.

Check it: today is Friday, it's the start of my Spring Break, it's gorgeous outside, my brother is coming in from out of town, I got my Scibor miniature in the mail, and my computer is finally getting up and running. It is a damn fine day.

• Options
    That game was super silly, but I still had some fun with it. I'm so used to Vassal bending me over with the dice that I just kind of expect it to happen (unless I'm playing my DE vs. Eldercat. Then I make like, 20 5+ saves on my Raiders).

As for the sonic blasters, paying 5 points for an assault 2/heavy 3 bolter is pleasing to my delicate sensibilities. If I could bring myself to drop my Chosen Marines and bring more Noise Mans, maybe with a blastmaster, it could work better. I dunno.

Also, I have 300 points to spend since I'm never bringing defilers to another match (they have never served me well). Suggestions? 3 dakkaPreds? 3 Dreads? 2 x2 Oblits?

• Options
    Dreads are pretty solid if you're intelligent with your firefrenzies. Oblits are flexible and really shine when Icons are present. AC/LC preds are great for AT.

Depends on what you want.

• Options
    AT, mostly. The noise marines, lord/raptors (or princes or whatever) can take care of infantry. Also, if I aim to only spend 200, I can pick up a summoned greater daemon, which seems like it could be fun (but kinda costly since I have to kill a squad leader/HQ).

This discussion has been closed.