As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    am0n wrote: »
    Besides the quests... is there anything to do, group wise, for lower levels? My monk is almost level 7, but not sure if my only choice is doing the story until max. level or if there is stuff in between.

Prophecies, Factions or Nightfall?

Nightfall.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    My monk is level 10!

fuck gendered marketing
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    am0n wrote:
    Besides the quests... is there anything to do, group wise, for lower levels? My monk is almost level 7, but not sure if my only choice is doing the story until max. level or if there is stuff in between.

Nightfall.

Lev11 so far and found that the easiest way to level is to just try and explore the whole map around a point where a quest you can handle takes you. You're bound to run into enough other quests to get you a few levels. Non-quest leveling is sparse, although you get enough exp from killing lev10 mobs, especially when you take the bounty buffs from Sunspears standing next to resurrection spots.

edited March 2012
    Aldo wrote: »
    am0n wrote:

Nightfall.

Lev11 so far and found that the easiest way to level is to just try and explore the whole map around a point where a quest you can handle takes you. You're bound to run into enough other quests to get you a few levels. Non-quest leveling is sparse, although you get enough exp from killing lev10 mobs, especially when you take the bounty buffs from Sunspears standing next to resurrection spots.

Not really looking for a better way to level, but I do appreciate the suggestion. I'm looking for what is available at lower levels in the way of group content; dungeons, world events, something like that.

am0n on
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    am0n wrote:

Nightfall.

Not really looking for a better way to level, but I do appreciate the suggestion. I'm looking for what is available at lower levels in the way of group content; dungeons, world events, something like that.

Not much, in all honesty. Guild Wars as designed is very much about rocketing you to max level in as short a time as possible. It would not be incorrect to view leveling from one to twenty as a tutorial of sorts. You can group up with people to do the quests, if you like, or the missions, but frankly most people tend to roll on their own with heroes. Especially in Nightfall.

Entriech wrote: »
    am0n wrote:

Nightfall.

Not much, in all honesty. Guild Wars as designed is very much about rocketing you to max level in as short a time as possible. It would not be incorrect to view leveling from one to twenty as a tutorial of sorts. You can group up with people to do the quests, if you like, or the missions, but frankly most people tend to roll on their own with heroes. Especially in Nightfall.

Okay, thanks. Is there a good bit of group content once you get to max. level?

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Pretty much everything is meant to be done as a group. Heroes are in to replace people so you don't have to find 8 players for everything you want to do... but if you *want* to do that, you're welcome to.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Guild Wars leveling/power growth is... different compared to other MMO's. Most challenges assume that everyone is level 20 and has some of the best gear in the game in terms of basic stats, because there isn't an incremental power creep to gear. The difference between hard content and normal content is whether you need to have optimized your gear and skills to be as synergistic as possible, or whether you can just roll with the high end gear you found on the ground.

What is this I don't even.
    Entriech wrote: »
    am0n wrote:

Nightfall.

Okay, thanks. Is there a good bit of group content once you get to max. level?

What Swashbuckler said is right, and there was a point in time where heroes didn't even exist, and all you had to make do with in order to fill groups were the pre-configured henchmen. That being said, almost every bit of hard mode/late game content benefits the more people you have, just in terms of having independent people able to accomplish individual tasks.

I just looked, and I'd originally thought Lucky Weekend meant double Balth and Gladiator, but apparently that was only in 2007. Unfortunate.

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
  • TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Nice. I like how you get comments on your progress where the reward box is.

My favorite so far is 50's:

450px-HoM_Points.png

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    if only I had heaping piles of cash ingame :p

Note to self: clean out inventory before Vanquishing, nothing like leaving blues/purples on the ground!

On a related note, for those that have been playing the game for ages, what's your general salvaging strategy? I've been IDing everything (don't feel like constantly trying to shop them to people buying un-ided golds), but generally I've been straight up selling the purples (since their runes are all worthless), and focusing on runes for golds/blues. Given the price the items get from the merchants when they're ID'd it seems like I come out a little better than if I salvage for mats then sell those. Would salvaging down to the mats for basically everything be a better id? Bear in mind I *really* am not keen on sitting in Kam spamming WTS for inscriptions/hilts/etc.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Salvage things that will salvage into Iron, Granite, Dust or Feathers. All the other crafting materials aren't worth it, but you can sell a stack of 250 iron for at least 7k and it's not very hard to get that much.

UnID golds can be easy to sell but you need to sell them at 7 for 5k or no one will take the time to buy them. Selling your UnID golds will probably get you more cash than lucking out on 15^50 or +30 inscriptions

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Merch everything and spend/waste no time trying to find people.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So I was reading about GW 2 and was reminiscing about playing GW at launch waaay back when. If I wanted to pick up the expansions and such and start back up, how feasible is that at this point? Is GW2 coming out soon enough that it'd even be worth it? Will I just get mega stomped by everyone and everything?

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So I was reading about GW 2 and was reminiscing about playing GW at launch waaay back when. If I wanted to pick up the expansions and such and start back up, how feasible is that at this point? Is GW2 coming out soon enough that it'd even be worth it? Will I just get mega stomped by everyone and everything?

Well, unlike at launch, Guild Wars is actually a good game now. I was surprised to learn this.

If you're playing for HoM, whether you get stomped in pvp is largely irrelevant. There are heroes now, which replace those horrid henchmen, for pve. So running pve by yourself is far less frustrating.

Whether its "too late" depends on how much you plan to play. As far as I know, the HoM isn't shutting down with GW 2, though, so even if the game comes out soon (it won't), you can get last minute play in and go back to get more rewards as you see fit. 30 points isn't really that hard to get.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • RookRook Registered User regular
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    I've come to the conclusion that Rangers beat Rits at being SoGM spirit spammer heroes. With four spirits (Pain, Anguish, Shadowsong, and Disenchantment) and Volley using a zealous bow, a 9+4 Expertise/9+1 Marksmanship/12 Communing split gives them the ability to just crap spirits out left and right, which I've found more than makes up for the weaker spirits.

edited March 2012
    Edit: Doublepost

Darklyre on
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    But if you use Rt heroes you can easily give them restoration skills making them spirit spammer/healer hybrids. Which in turn frees you up to use additional offensive heroes.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    A ranger spirit spammer with 7 or 8 spirits and 16 expertise works great, actually.

What is a "ranger spirit spammer with 16 expertise?" And an Rt hero?

does anyone know at what level it is possible to change your 2nd job from the one you originally pick to a different one?

Darklyre wrote: »
    I've come to the conclusion that Rangers beat Rits at being SoGM spirit spammer heroes. With four spirits (Pain, Anguish, Shadowsong, and Disenchantment) and Volley using a zealous bow, a 9+4 Expertise/9+1 Marksmanship/12 Communing split gives them the ability to just crap spirits out left and right, which I've found more than makes up for the weaker spirits.

Hmmmmm. I've been trying to find a build that wasn't terrible for my Ranger. I've been trying to do an R/D, but I think all the builds seem to be from before the Dervish changes.

http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Build:R/D_PvE_Scythe_Ranger

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    does anyone know at what level it is possible to change your 2nd job from the one you originally pick to a different one?

depends on what game you are in

in prophecies, beat Augury Rock in the desert
    in factions, beat uh..is it Nahpui Quarter? the one with the celestial monsters at any rate
    in nightfall I believe it is the primary quest in sunspear sanctuary where you need to have an annoyingly high sunspear rank, before you ever go to vabbi

then just go to the great temple of balthazar and find the profession changer, he does it for 500g a pop

it's unlocking them, not a one time switch, so you can switch back and forth for free forever after

depends on what game you are in

in prophecies, beat Augury Rock in the desert
    in factions, beat uh..is it Nahpui Quarter? the one with the celestial monsters at any rate
    in nightfall I believe it is the primary quest in sunspear sanctuary where you need to have an annoyingly high sunspear rank, before you ever go to vabbi

then just go to the great temple of balthazar and find the profession changer, he does it for 500g a pop

it's unlocking them, not a one time switch, so you can switch back and forth for free forever after
    Sweet, thanks.

Yes, Sunspear ranks are becoming my bane. And after you unlock the right rank for your next quest it turns out not be very interesting at all. :(

Hmmmmm. I've been trying to find a build that wasn't terrible for my Ranger. I've been trying to do an R/D, but I think all the builds seem to be from before the Dervish changes.

http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Build:R/D_PvE_Scythe_Ranger

On my ranger I ended up using an R/A enraged lunge dagger build. Basically this http://www.gwpvx.com/Build:R/A_Dagger_Pet_Ranger

It seemed to work pretty well.

Well, unlike at launch, Guild Wars is actually a good game now. I was surprised to learn this.

If you're playing for HoM, whether you get stomped in pvp is largely irrelevant. There are heroes now, which replace those horrid henchmen, for pve. So running pve by yourself is far less frustrating.

Whether its "too late" depends on how much you plan to play. As far as I know, the HoM isn't shutting down with GW 2, though, so even if the game comes out soon (it won't), you can get last minute play in and go back to get more rewards as you see fit. 30 points isn't really that hard to get.

What's the cheapest way to get back in if I own the original?

What's the cheapest way to get back in if I own the original?
    If you're just interested in the Hall of Monuments? Purchase the Eye of the North expansion. If you just want to play again? Log in to your old account. If you don't remember your login info, but still have your CD key, you can contact support and get your details.

Cobalt60 wrote: »
    But if you use Rt heroes you can easily give them restoration skills making them spirit spammer/healer hybrids. Which in turn frees you up to use additional offensive heroes.

The main problem with SoGM/Resto hybrids is that you have to split between Communing and Restoration...neither of which have energy management skills. Channeling/Resto hybrids work great because Channeling has Spirit Siphon, but considering how energy-hungry Communing spirits are, you pretty much need a battery on your team to fuel them, which takes up a slot on your team. BiP is great but it's annoying how fragile they are.

Plus, without getting into mercs, you only have two Rt heroes. With three Rt builds I want to include (SoGM, SoS/Resto, and ST Shelter), I either have to get rid of one build entirely or make one using a non-Rt hero. I figure the Ranger SoGM build works just fine at being an SoGM spammer, and thus I have ST Shelter AND SoS available.

edited March 2012

The main problem with SoGM/Resto hybrids is that you have to split between Communing and Restoration...neither of which have energy management skills. Channeling/Resto hybrids work great because Channeling has Spirit Siphon, but considering how energy-hungry Communing spirits are, you pretty much need a battery on your team to fuel them, which takes up a slot on your team. BiP is great but it's annoying how fragile they are.

Plus, without getting into mercs, you only have two Rt heroes. With three Rt builds I want to include (SoGM, SoS/Resto, and ST Shelter), I either have to get rid of one build entirely or make one using a non-Rt hero. I figure the Ranger SoGM build works just fine at being an SoGM spammer, and thus I have ST Shelter AND SoS available.

There's three Rts now - Xandra, Razah, and Zei Ri, though unfortunately you have to beat Winds of Change on hard to get Zei Ri... would be nice if you could unlock him via normal mode or some other means.

steejee on
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    steejee wrote: »

There's three Rts now - Xandra, Razah, and Zei Ri, though unfortunately you have to beat Winds of Change on hard to get Zei Ri... would be nice if you could unlock him via normal mode or some other means.

Oh snap everything I said earlier is now invalid.

Time to beat me some WoC.

..shit I don't remember my character's name. That's a helluva security question right there. Hrm.

..shit I don't remember my character's name. That's a helluva security question right there. Hrm.

Contact support. They'll ask you a few questions about the account (I just described my character's class and what campaign I had) and they'll get you one eventually.

edited March 2012

Contact support. They'll ask you a few questions about the account (I just described my character's class and what campaign I had) and they'll get you one eventually.

Do they have a number? The live chat is apparently closed on weekends. edit: But damn, their email support is fast!

SniperGuy on
    Alright woooo I'm in the game. I have a level 20 warrior apparently that I vaguely remember being my main way back when. Now to figure out what I can actually do with him at this point, or if I should just get Eye of the North.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Is your aim to get HoM rewards?

If so, Nightfall if you haven't done it already to get a good base of heroes, then EotN for more heroes. You can create a decent 100 Blades set-up (OQATEVKXRywYwYHsvgvywarAjDA) and stroll through most PvE with that and heroes.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I started playing as an Elementalist today, hoping to kill time waiting for the sequel. I've played them before, but only for a few quests or so. Never understood why I stopped playing them all of a sudden, they're a lot of fun.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321

Do they have a number? The live chat is apparently closed on weekends. edit: But damn, their email support is fast!
    Alright woooo I'm in the game. I have a level 20 warrior apparently that I vaguely remember being my main way back when. Now to figure out what I can actually do with him at this point, or if I should just get Eye of the North.

Just looking at your post time and content, you can see why I love Arenanet and NCSoft's customer support so much. My account was hacked a few years ago and got Dhuum-banned. Within an hour of me emailing them they'd gotten everything unlocked, reset my password, reset my NCSoft password, etc.

As for your questions regarding campaigns, I'd say get the trilogy on Steam or something (I got it on sale for super cheap) and buy EotN from Half Price Books for like $10. That'll get you everything.