As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre/Post PAX Maryland Meetup

• adastraadastra Registered User regular
    Another day of awesome gaming - thanks, everyone!

It seems like Dream Wizards just can't get their act together. It all worked out just fine in the end, but I am going to look around for another possible venue in the Rockville area. If we look beyond game stores, I think we may find other places (like libraries or community centers) that would have a quiet space with tables for us to play. Next month is easy - Games and Stuff seems a lot friendly and better organized, they have a good space for us to play, and they have dozens of playtest copies of games in their lending libraries for when we discover that we've got two copies of Puerto Rico and want to play something different (;-)). But I would love to find some other options around the area that are good for gaming, maybe we'll have some other possibilities before May.

Also, let's talk more about games before next time - I heard some interest in Ticket to Ride and Pandemic, and we could bring some things next time that people are interested in playing. If we're at G'n'S, we also have their library to draw from.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    There is interest, and Exodus got into another epic horror and missed out on Battlestar Galactica again. :(

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    adastra wrote:
    Another day of awesome gaming - thanks, everyone!

It seems like Dream Wizards just can't get their act together. It all worked out just fine in the end, but I am going to look around for another possible venue in the Rockville area. If we look beyond game stores, I think we may find other places (like libraries or community centers) that would have a quiet space with tables for us to play.

I'm poking around myself as well, but everything I've been able to find has been up more towards Baltimore. The Family Game Store in Savage Mill looks promising, but it's only slightly closer to the Rockville people than G&S. I might check it out anyways though just to see. It occurs to me I've been there before and it used to be a pretty nice place, if a bit small, but they've expanded to a two story setup with a gaming room upstairs like G&S from what I can tell from the internet. Might be worth checking out as a potential location.

1tLJUH2O.png
    gespo89 wrote:
    I'm poking around myself as well, but everything I've been able to find has been up more towards Baltimore. The Family Game Store in Savage Mill looks promising, but it's only slightly closer to the Rockville people than G&S. I might check it out anyways though just to see. It occurs to me I've been there before and it used to be a pretty nice place, if a bit small, but they've expanded to a two story setup with a gaming room upstairs like G&S from what I can tell from the internet. Might be worth checking out as a potential location.

shadowfae also recommended the Savage Mill store. But I think a non-game place like a library may open up our options quite a bit. The upshot is that we wouldn't be competing with other game activities or noise. The downside is that it wouldn't be a place full of... games. ;-)

Out of curiosity, where all are people coming from? I don't have a good feel for where everyone is - I know that of the 12 folks there today, we had one from Towson, one from NoVA, three from College Park. and two from Laurel. But I don't know where the rest of the group commutes from! That would help me figure out some good places to look into other options. I don't mind doing some legwork.

edited February 2012
    adastra wrote:
    gespo89 wrote:

shadowfae also recommended the Savage Mill store. But I think a non-game place like a library may open up our options quite a bit. The upshot is that we wouldn't be competing with other game activities or noise. The downside is that it wouldn't be a place full of... games. ;-)

Out of curiosity, where all are people coming from? I don't have a good feel for where everyone is - I know that of the 12 folks there today, we had one from Towson, one from NoVA, three from College Park. and two from Laurel. But I don't know where the rest of the group commutes from! That would help me figure out some good places to look into other options. I don't mind doing some legwork.

I'm not ruling out other venues besides gamestores. That just happens to be the one that came to mind.

In addition to what you said, I'm from Columbia, and we've got 3 from Rockville. (Plus a 4th in Rockville that came to our first meetup but we haven't heard from in a good while though). We also had a couple people on the other side of Baltimore express interest if we ever did something a bit more in that direction, but we haven't heard from them in a good bit either.

In short, we're all over the place.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'd like to personally apologize for the incident with the owner of Dream Wizards, as I said to gespo shortly after, I expected a similar response no matter where we sat in the store. I've thought it over, and I can't say I ever want to bring a meet-up back there, it's left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Luckily we will plan our next meet at Games and Stuff, and after that is PAX East, so we have some time to look for a new venue in the Rockville area. I have sent a message over to Beyond Comics to inquire about the space at their new location. I also think the Rockville library would be a good choice, on their website they list 2 meeting rooms available, but charge a rate of $15-$20 per hour. I will call and inquire if they have any space that would be available for free. We could also consider meeting at someone's home in the area, I know I wouldn't mind hosting once in a while, though I currently only have 1 8person table.

So far as I know, we have people coming from NoVA, College Park, Germantown, Rockville, and the Baltimore area.
    zepherin wrote:
    ...and Exodus got into another epic horror and missed out on Battlestar Galactica again. :(

Hah, the games I run of Arkham seem to go for days, lol, which is strange since everyone always says we should be dead already. I am 90% sure we played properly this time through, with the exception of a few rule slips here and there on engaging monsters. I think it's a symptom of finally figuring out the game though, knowing how all the shops and stuff work, actually buying a blessing makes for mad monster pwnage, lol.

Exodus1 on
    The Art of Gaming (March): OK, so, what day is everyone planning on attending the exhibition at the American Art Museum? Looks like Saturday will include the panel discussions and Sunday is more activities/live art/music. I'm thinking I actually want to go both days (March 16th and 17th). Let me know and I'll make a list of who's going each day so we can meet up!

http://americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/archive/2012/games/gamefest/

Exodus1 wrote:
    The Art of Gaming (March): OK, so, what day is everyone planning on attending the exhibition at the American Art Museum? Looks like Saturday will include the panel discussions and Sunday is more activities/live art/music. I'm thinking I actually want to go both days (March 16th and 17th). Let me know and I'll make a list of who's going each day so we can meet up!

Well, unless I'm reading the schedule wrong, it looks like everything on Saturday has everything that Sunday does, with a couple additional things on top, so I'll probably be going Saturday.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Saturday does seem like the best day. The only difference that really stood out to me was an additional chiptunes concert Sunday morning.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • fyeahckingfyeahcking Registered User regular
    I'd probably be down to go that Saturday, too.

gespo89 wrote:
    Exodus1 wrote:

Well, unless I'm reading the schedule wrong, it looks like everything on Saturday has everything that Sunday does, with a couple additional things on top, so I'll probably be going Saturday.

Hah, no I read the schedule wrong, thought Friday was Saturday etc., would have liked to attend the Nolan Bushnell panel, but seems it's sold out anyhow =P.

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Not sure that I will be going but if I do it will be Saturday because the It's All in the Design panel interests me, but that is only an hour and it's a long haul for an hour long panel.

Exodus1 wrote:
    Hah, no I read the schedule wrong, thought Friday was Saturday etc., would have liked to attend the Nolan Bushnell panel, but seems it's sold out anyhow =P.
    Shit, I wish I could go on Friday! Maybe we could just go to watch Tron! :3

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    I'll prolly go on down on Saturday because parking in that area on a week day is a heinous bitch goddess.

edited February 2012
    zepherin wrote:
    I'll prolly go on down on Saturday because parking in that area on a week day is a heinous bitch goddess.
    I must be reading this wrong. It almost sounds like you actually want to park your car in DC instead of just taking the metro.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
    edited February 2012
    gespo89 wrote:
    zepherin wrote:
    I must be reading this wrong. It almost sounds like you actually want to park your car in DC instead of just taking the metro.
    Pishaw, it's faster on the weekend. I've gone to national mall a bunch on the weekend and there are a few tricks, but it's just about finding a place to park. I prefer federal buildings. They are pretty much vacated except for security on the weekends.

zepherin on
    Exodus1 wrote:
    Shit, I wish I could go on Friday! Maybe we could just go to watch Tron! :3

I was thinking the same thing, haha.

zepherin wrote:
    gespo89 wrote:
    zepherin wrote:
    Pishaw, it's faster on the weekend. I've gone to national mall a bunch on the weekend and there are a few tricks, but it's just about finding a place to park. I prefer federal buildings. They are pretty much vacated except for security on the weekends.

With Metro constantly being down for service on the weekends lately, Zepherin might be right, lol.

I'll suck it up for Metro. I hate driving in DC :(
    haaaaaaaaate

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    I'll suck it up for Metro. I hate driving in DC :(
    haaaaaaaaate
    I do it every day, it's not so bad if your not there during rush hour.

• HuskyDorkHuskyDork Registered User regular
    American Museum of Art just announced that Hideo Kojima will be there for GameFest at noon on that Saturday (March 17th). Free registration will open here tomorrow at 1pm.

I'm definitely in for that Saturday, I'll also be heading down on Friday afternoon to catch the second discussion panel with Ken Levine.

LQckybu.png
    I'd also like to check out what Labyrinths in DC has to offer - their website mentions a gaming space available (for a small fee per person or per table) and they are very Metro accessible.

I certainly wouldn't mind chipping in towards a space if it's a dollar or two per person - that would be worth it for me.

That place actually looks kind of awesome and they do neat stuff. I may go there anyways. Unfortunate that they do their more interesting things on weekdays but tis the nature of things.

That works well for me! I usually have a weekday or two off :)

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    edited March 2012
    So, for our normal tabletop meet-up, I propose Sunday, March 11th at 11am at Games and Stuff, let me know who can go!

For the GameFest! meet-up, I say we can all meet at the Smithsonian (in the front/lobby area?) on Saturday March 17th, between 10:30-11:00am in time for any events of interest. Post if you're going and I'll make a list!

I will personally be taking the metro, and if anyone would like to join me at the Shady Grove stop, just let me know! Also post if people need to coordinate rides etc.

P.S. Since so many have joined G+, I made us a page where I'll update our events, feel free to share things on the page as well, and use it for communication at events. MD PAX Meetup G+

Exodus1 on
    I'll be attending both events.

As for getting to DC, I'll probably be taking the green line in from Greenbelt probably, or maybe the orange from Cheverly depending on where I'm coming from at the time.

1tLJUH2O.png
    I hope to make the March 11 meet-up and at the moment it appears I can.

Not heading to GameFest for a couple reasons but I hope those of you who do have a good time.

For now I'm attending both.

Exodus1 wrote: »
    So, for our normal tabletop meet-up, I propose Sunday, March 11th at 11am at Games and Stuff, let me know who can go!

I think some (if not all) of our group will be there.

adastra wrote: »

I think some (if not all) of our group will be there.
    That's cause you roll deep.

I may be bringing a plus 1.

Can't wait to play some games on Sunday, here's the roster so far.

Exodus
    Murdoc
    Taboo
    Zeph +1
    Gespo
    Adastra +Crew

Don't forget to tell Adastra if there's any games you'd like them to bring! Also, check out the Google+ page I set up for us MD PAX Meetup

I posted another possible outing for us, at least I think it'd be cool.

Astro Boy and the God of Comics:

"Onstage drawing meets the ’60s dream of the future in this story of Japanese cartoonist Osamu Tezuka and his most famous creation: Astro Boy, a crime-fighting robot."

http://www.studiotheatre.org/calendar/view.aspx?id=2932

I should be there Sunday if I remember correctly it's games and stuff right?

• danielofthekingsdanielofthekings Silver Spring, MarylandRegistered User regular

I work in DC, and am totally going on the Friday 16th when I get out of work. I really want to check out the Future of Gaming Panel. and I will probably be there again either the 17th or 18th. I have been waiting for this for a while now!

I'm off work at 5 on that Friday. I would totally be down for getting my TRON on. Who's with me?!

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    edited March 2012
    I work early, and am usually home by 3:00 or so, so I've got loads of time. I'd probably be up for a trip on Friday for Tron if people are interested.

Gah, totally forgot to get a ticket for the Kojima on Saturday. D'oh.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
    Dag, I forgot about that too!
    WE SHOULD ALL TOTALLY HAVE A SLEEP OVER AND PLAY GAMES ALL NIGHT /girl moment

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    edited March 2012
    Okay, any special game requests before tomorrow morning? The store has a pretty epic library as well, but our games are also on offer. We even updated the spreadsheet.

adastra on
    edited March 2012
    Since I'm not seeing Sentient6 on that list, Battlestar Galctica. Maybe one of the more exotic forms of dominion, we seem to always catch a round of 2 or dominion each time, best we need to kill 30 minutes games ever.

I'll bring Talisman again.

zepherin on
    edited March 2012
    Looking forward to an actual full game of Talisman. I'll have the usual stuff tomorrow, might need to pick up Super Dungeon Explore soon though, looks fun. See you all at 11:00 tomorrow, (or 12:00 for those of you who forget to fix your clocks =P ).

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
    edited March 2012
    I'm off work at 5 on that Friday. I would totally be down for getting my TRON on. Who's with me?!
    If peeps are going, I'm def in, I get out at 5 as well, could be at Shady Grove by like 5:30 (what time does the movie start, like 8?)

I should be there Sunday if I remember correctly it's games and stuff right?
    Yes Games and Stuff, at 11am tomorrow people!

I'll be bringing Arkham Horror and Munchkin as usual, but I'm up for whatever new ish we may have.

I work in DC, and am totally going on the Friday 16th when I get out of work. I really want to check out the Future of Gaming Panel. and I will probably be there again either the 17th or 18th. I have been waiting for this for a while now!

Sweet dude, if you're there on Sat, you'll def have to catch up with us.

Exodus1 on
    Well, our group has been decimated by something that's going around... I'm not sure who, if anyone, is up to gaming today. Feverish delirium may sound like the right state of mind for Arkham Horror, but in practice may not be the right choice.
    D: