As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Costumes

• Options
    TangoTango Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    You can do it like this - using the 'url' tags. Check the 'You can use BBCode in your post' link just down below for more info :)

Also, in regard to what you have in the OP right now, orange tips on costume weapons don't happen at PAX for the simple reason that if a fake gun is realistic enough to need an orange tip, then it contravenes the second costume weapon rule and hence isn't permitted at PAX in the first place. :) Also, please don't add to or modify the original policy -- it is an official policy, written by me and approved by PAX Organizers, and as such should be reproduced unchanged.

With all that said.. have at it with the costumes!

Tango on
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I erased the part about orange tips. I tried to add it since it is considered federal law from what I understand. Let me know if there is anything else I should change. I just copied it off the east costume forums and tried to add some stuff about deactivating nerf guns since that was allowed from what I have heard and the orange tips and tried to collect it all into one category under weapons. Also let me know if you want the part about contacting you.

Sorry if I have caused more trouble with this than was meant, just trying to compile everything for reference sake and cause I see stuff about weapons with costumes more than anything in the costume forums.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    I just might wear a bubblegum pink maille shirt for a day. For funzies.

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    Kilo147Kilo147 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Well my old idea is now right out, working with old tire retreads, football pads, and so many spikes is just annoying. If I can figure a way to add the tire to a vest and not screw up the look, i'll do it. Maybe.
    myGq4.jpg
    Think these guys, but in blue, and having an [ENFORCER] shirt where the standard deck jersey is. Vest off for on-duty, vest on for off-duty. And a tighter fitting vest, theirs are manual/automatic inflating life jackets for man overboard scenarios. Mine will just be to complete a theme.

and post-apocalyptic, Fallout style.

Kilo147 on
    enforceruserbarprime.png
    PAX '04
    PAX '11

Tango down, Kilo147 out.
  • Options
    appletartappletart Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    I'll be doing KK (FreakAngels) for sure. Kaylee or River (Firefly) almost for sure, hopefully with a Zoe. Mad Moxxi (Borderlands), Merrill or Bethany (DA2) are up for consideration.

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    appletart wrote:
    ...Kaylee or River (Firefly) almost for sure, hopefully with a Zoe...
    Oh, pics must be taken. (m)

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    brandon.lisik@gmail.combrandon.lisik@gmail.com Registered User new member
    edited March 2012
    This is version one, version two has clasps on the front and a new big linen cloth. Version three is a sword case, and handle; though i don't know if i will be able to bring it since it might be a wep. =\
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=494501705730&l=4f5e60ad34

brandon.lisik@gmail.com on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    This is version one, version two has clasps on the front and a new big linen cloth. Version three is a sword case, and handle; though i don't know if i will be able to bring it since it might be a wep. =\
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=494501705730&l=4f5e60ad34

Just a sheath with a handle sticking out of it? No actual sword?

Uhh....that's actually a good question.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Ohyeah21Ohyeah21 Registered User new member
    edited March 2012
    my bad, this was meant for pax east board. nothing to see here, carry on :D

Ohyeah21 on
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    I am being Fiora Cavazza the Courtesan Assassin for AC:Brotherhood. Making the costume by hand! Going to be a tough one, but already getting started.

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    mikozillamikozilla Queen of Ferelden WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'll be doing Merrill's second outfit (post-romance) this year, since I did her original costume last year. :3 Also, attempting to make the Blood Dragon armor from Mass Effect. Never made armor. Might die trying.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The completed costume with full armor, headpiece, and sniper rifle.
    423388_3068538826191_1045176616_32297063_1539913725_n.jpg
    Picture was taken at the ME3 midnight release in town.

The rifle will most likely NOT be traveling with me cause of the weapons policy about nerf and I do not want to ruin the paintjob on it (hand done) by taking it all apart and taking out the innards. Also don't want to be bothered by TSA, packing it, or enforcers at the con. I am currently looking into some other options so that I can still look like I can put up a fight.

Most likely will wear Shep armor the entire weekend since I worked so much on it. Just need to find a case for it all to fit in to so that I can check it for the plane!

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
  • Options
    InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    Sweeeet Nectar! Got the Foreigner Belt ready.
    dMtl0.jpg

The paint I used on Halloween kept schleping off on my shirt; I gave it a cardboard backing but now a clear coat of enamel does the trick. Just in time for Emerald City Comic Con, but I don't know if I'll put speakers and a cheap mp3 player in there for Prime... seems like that would be more annoying than costume-enhancing.

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Options
    JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    The completed costume with full armor, headpiece, and sniper rifle.
    423388_3068538826191_1045176616_32297063_1539913725_n.jpg
    Picture was taken at the ME3 midnight release in town.

The rifle will most likely NOT be traveling with me cause of the weapons policy about nerf and I do not want to ruin the paintjob on it (hand done) by taking it all apart and taking out the innards. Also don't want to be bothered by TSA, packing it, or enforcers at the con. I am currently looking into some other options so that I can still look like I can put up a fight.

Most likely will wear Shep armor the entire weekend since I worked so much on it. Just need to find a case for it all to fit in to so that I can check it for the plane!

That's is pretty f'in awesome!

• Options

Omniblade?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I was actually thinking Omniblade would be my best bet. I am working with a friend this summer to see if we can make some omniblades, and a tali helmet. We will see how it goes!

I should go.
  • Options
    I was actually thinking Omniblade would be my best bet. I am working with a friend this summer to see if we can make some omniblades, and a tali helmet. We will see how it goes!
    I though about doing an omni blade too. But as my cosplays are non-combat uniforms,I'm trying to decide if I want to tackle the task of making an omni tool instead..

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    ComplexityComplexity Registered User regular
    Hey, I want to make a costume of Blitzcrank from League of Legends. I'm sure that those of you who are league players know that Blitzcrank's torso is a gold colored metal ball thing. I'm not sure how to acquire a ball that I can paint gold, and I'm hoping that someone here knows where I can find one. I would prefer not to buy an acrylic ball because they are relatively heavy and cost alot. Arwen suggested that I use an exercise ball, does anyone else have another possible idea?

• Options
    Wow, this thread really fell back there in the lists. >_>

While talking with friends and looking over cosplay pics. I came up with a cool idea, but I'm not sure about the reception of it.
    How readily recognizable would FemShep's "Black Dress" from Mass Effect2 be? I was thinking it could be a really fun one to make and even more fun to cosplay.

Also, anybody got any tips on how to make a Mjolnir Spartan helmet on a budget?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I will be reprising my role as Canadaman for Prime (assuming I go, which is like 70% sure).

I will also be trying out Mario from There Will Be Brawl. If you come up and tell me I'm a plumber, I promise to launch into the monologue.

EDIT: I'm still trying to convince my friends to join in on the cosplay fun, it'd make my costume make more sense for sure.

PayneTrayne on
    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    For a spartan helment, you could use cardboard if you don't want to do the standard fiberglass method. Otherwise, you could do the paper craft helmet and then like reinforce with glue. Hot glue is pretty strong, and cardstock is pretty cheap, from my experience.

• Options
    I'm looking for something that can also be warn at request. Mostly it will be attached to the belt of my fatigues. It was the most requested addition I was asked to incorporate. Any tips on using the 'motorcycle helmet' technique?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    My costume may end up being radically different than what I planned. Ze new gf is a huge steampunk fan and has been looking for an excuse to get something together soooooooo....
    Complexity wrote: »
    For a spartan helment, you could use cardboard if you don't want to do the standard fiberglass method. Otherwise, you could do the paper craft helmet and then like reinforce with glue. Hot glue is pretty strong, and cardstock is pretty cheap, from my experience.

Bondooooooooooooooo. It's da best.
    Any tips on using the 'motorcycle helmet' technique?
    The what?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    The what?

Its something I've seen low budget cosplayers use. A motorcycle helmet that they add pieces and modify to look like a spartan helmet.

I'm on a budget and have zero crafting skills for the major builds.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    Cosplay 1: Spartan Kelly's flight suit.
    391266_2633905930342_1336249895_3058510_1812980487_n.jpg

I remember seeing you in the Bioware area! That was a cool costume!

iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    Haha. Thanks! I am gonna wear it at Prime, but i got requests saying it would've been better if I had a Spartan helmet to go with it.
    *shrugs* We'll see. If I can manage it, it'd be cool. But its not a necessity.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    For a spartan helmet the best way to do it is pepakura files. Once you get those, print, cut, fold. And then bondo the crap out of it and paint. They look great and are not too expensive. If you need then go to http://www.405th.com/ they have all kinds of sources and complete downloads for pepakura files for everything halo.

I should go.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    The what?

Its something I've seen low budget cosplayers use. A motorcycle helmet that they add pieces and modify to look like a spartan helmet.

I'm on a budget and have zero crafting skills for the major builds.

Ah yeah. My big piece of advice with motorcycle helmets is to get them a size or two smaller than your actual size since the actual size assumes you actually want the extra insulation in there. I made that mistake last year which is why my Protoman based Mega Man helmet ended up being kinda comically large and hot as hell to wear. This year I'll be getting a smaller one and pulling the snap in cushioning out of it and also attempting to install a couple of fans in there because yeah...shit's hot yo.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    The problem with Bondo is that it's hard to put directly onto the paper. You would need to first use fiberglass resin, and fiberglass and bondo are not cheap.

• Options
    MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Last year I did Mad Moxxi and only dressed for Saturday. This year I'm considering having multiple. Haven't decided if I'll do Moxxi again. Also considering either EDI or Tali, and my Miraluka Consular Sage.

Melcene on
    melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • Options
    WeeEvil EeveeWeeEvil Eevee TacomaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm considering going as Yachiru from bleach. Not sure though.its the cosplay i have from when i go to Sakura-con but idk. but i also dont really have money to make a new costume.hmm.Any suggestions? Though i would loooove to go as Altair or A halo spartan.Just can't really afford to build any or buy one. So sad.

WeeEvil Eevee on
  • Options
    AtashiAtashi Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I am currently kicking around the idea of making a Kuma mascot suit from Persona 4, since it's my most-played game in the past year.

teddie.jpg

I've never made a mascot suit of any sort before though, so I'm unsure of how good the end product might be. The other concern I have is the difficulty of movement through a crowded con in such a suit. By some quick scaling, the suit will be around 145cm (4'9") tall and 91cm (36") wide, not counting the arms.

Atashi on
    PAX Prime 2013 Cosplays
    Silica - Sword Art Online -Infinity Moment-
    Teddie - Persona 4

Finally retiring Recette. It's been a good run.
  • Options
    WeeEvil EeveeWeeEvil Eevee TacomaRegistered User regular
    Atashi wrote: »
    I am currently kicking around the idea of making a Kuma mascot suit from Persona 4, since it's my most-played game in the past year.

teddie.jpg

I've never made a mascot suit of any sort before though, so I'm unsure of how good the end product might be. The other concern I have is the difficulty of movement through a crowded con in such a suit. By some quick scaling, the suit will be around 145cm (4'9") tall and 91cm (36") wide, not counting the arms.

That sounds and looks so awesome. But from what i have heard of the Pax, it gets even more crowded then the Convention i normally go to and that is pretty dang crowded.I've seen those going around in Mascot cosplay and they tend to have a bit of a hard time getting around.So i would think that that cosplay would be very hard to get around in at Pax, BUT if you are very determined with this cosplay and wont mind the crowd and the possible getting hot in the cosplay then by all means i would say go for it.

• Options
    I won't need a fan for the helmet. Mostly it'll be worn on my utility belt, and only donned on for pics as requested.

Spartan helmet aside, back to my other question. Would Shep's black dress from Mass Effect be easily recognizable?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered User regular
    I think that depends on which genderShep you play! But I think there's a certain value to 'for those who know' as well as 'easily recognizable' -- just look at the Slender Man cosplayer this last East :)

• Options
    :p
    That would be FemShep. haha.

It'll be a tricky build. Should it be leather, pleather, pr just polyester fabric?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    I would say use leather or pleather for the dress. Not polyester. The whole point of the dress is to be super fancy and expensive looking for the party so I think polyester might take away from that feel unless you are very careful about your choice in fabric. Plus the original looks like leather.

It would be recognizable for anyone who is a fan and played with Kasumi. Others might think you are out to a fancy date. Like Tango said it would be a matter of those who know.

I should go.
  • Options
    tea_birdtea_bird Tequila Se'lai Registered User regular
    I'm planning on doing Tali from Mass Effect.

Considering it will be my first cosplay ever, it may or may not turn out.

Twitter: @tea_bird
  • Options
    Safir-HimeSafir-Hime SeattleRegistered User new member
    edited April 2012
    I'm planning on Commander Shepard for PAX Prime as well and am looking to set up a Mass Effect meet

I'm hoping I will have a Tali, Joker, and possibly Kaidan, Jacob, and Garrus.

Looking for more!!

@KellyShepard087 I wouldn't suggest pleather for the dress mainly because of how it will look if anyone takes any flash pictures. Polyester might end up being to hot against your skin, along with Pleather. I'd say your best bet would actually be a special occassion fabric like satin, but without using the satin weave side of the fabric.

Or if you can make it out of leather (maybe even couch pleather since its not so shiny) would be the best.

To help make the costume for identifiable, maybe carry a data pad?

I'll be making my heavy pistol out of EVA foam, I imagine it should look toyish enough to pass for a prop at PAX, it will not be functional. But who knows, they probably won't accept it. If not I'll just keep it at my hotel *shrugs*

I'll be making my omni tool/blade out of orange acrylic.

Mass Effect Pax Prime cosplay group page- http://www.facebook.com/groups/259099300853141/

@WeeEvil_Eevee - one off the top of my head might be a Windwaker Link, his outfit is pretty simple. Maybe an Umbreon? Or a Scout from TF2, plenty of awesome cosplays that can be on the easier side to complete. Altair or a Spartan without money? Quite a bit harder to do DX

I might have Connor from AC3 done by PAX as well, not sure though. I'm using historically accurate materials to make it so its a bit more time consuming.

Safir-Hime on
  • Options
    sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    Initialdor wrote: »
    Sweeeet Nectar! Got the Foreigner Belt ready.
    dMtl0.jpg

The paint I used on Halloween kept schleping off on my shirt; I gave it a cardboard backing but now a clear coat of enamel does the trick. Just in time for Emerald City Comic Con, but I don't know if I'll put speakers and a cheap mp3 player in there for Prime... seems like that would be more annoying than costume-enhancing.
    NO DO THAT IT WOULD BE AMAZING. especially if you could get a game of connect 4 and some how make it into a hat

I AM THE VAMPIRE
This discussion has been closed.