As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steamed Hams' Sketch Dump

hamshams Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Artist's Corner
Hey everyone. I've been lurking since around 2005 and once posted for a very short while under "acousticrooster." Like everyone else who posts here, I'd also like to get better at drawing. However, I never push myself to try and put in the effort required. I thought that by coming out from hiding and posting here regularly you all might be able to help me. You could say I'm shy and that communication is a challenge for me. But here goes...

I need to start drawing from life more and pay much more attention to proportions. I have a tendency to begin working on detail before I have the entire image drawn out. Color is also something that I have not spent a lot of time using. Any suggestions on how I can improve overall would be greatly appreciated. Here is what I've been doing recently:

Sketchbook (Mostly drawn from Anatomy for the Artist.):

sketch1-2.jpg

sketch3-1.jpg

sketch4.jpg

sketch5-1.jpg

sketch6-1.jpg

sketch8-1.jpg

sketch9-1.jpg

sketch10-1.jpg

sketch11-1.jpg

Ink Brush:

catskull.png

deadbird.png

lonelylife.png

oliviaotter.png

sye2.jpg

I recently went out and finally bought a tablet so lately I've been trying to get the hang of using it:

landscape.jpg

landscapes.jpg

turtletankcolor.jpg

james2.png

Misc:

gypsything.png

dragonheaddude.png

alexpilgrim.png

dayslikeknives.png

hams on

• Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Scott Pilgrim...mmmmmmmmmmmmm...

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Hahah that was for a friend and her boyfriend. She's a real-life Ramona Flowers. Your art rules by the way.

hams on
  • Options
    EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    shield*

(I like your pictures though)

((also, is your name a Simpsons reference?))

Esiotrot on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yikes! That's embarrassing. Thanks!

hams on
  • Options
    MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is some really nice art. Keep up the great work, can't wait to see more.
    (love that mecha turtle)

Mabelma on
    Have some time, check out my blog
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Psychotic blastoise?
    And yessss Scottt Pilgrimm

m3nace on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    m3nace wrote: »
    Psychotic blastoise?
    And yessss Scottt Pilgrimm

The pokemon turtle is awesome. If you do a series of those they'd be very very likely to be picked up by reddit or whatever i think. (Geekologie.com also seems to eat this kind of stuff up)

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    AT first with all of the bones and insects it was like looking into my own sketchbook, haha.
    Your tablet drawings look really good; I love those little thumbnails.
    Are 19 and 20 tattoo flash?

lyrium on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I really like #18, I hope you don't mind if I use it a while as a desktop background.

Thanks. :P

ninjai on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    BUMP. After seeing your sketch a foreigner pic i want to see more stuff!!! please?

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    damn it naked zerg made me think there was more sweet sweet steamed hams in here, and you call them steamed hams despite the fact they are obviously grilled

• Options
    Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    There is much awesome here. Love the wasp skull thing. Everything is so clean.

But seriously where's the new stuff. =p

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Options
    oops, i had forgotten all about this thread!

thanks everyone! :-)

@lyrium - i want to say that i recall seeing some of your skeletal studies and thinking the same thing! yes, 19 and 20 were my initial attempts at flash art in preparation for my friend who is very into tattoo stuff.

@farbekrieg - ;-) :^:

unfortunately i don't have much to share in terms of final works. it seems that i can never motivate myself enough to make the transition from only doing sketches. but here are two silly sketches i did recently:

greyhoundnixon.png

karapossum.png