As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

heckelsheckels Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
I just saw that if you pre-order this from gamestop you get a "penny arcade" weapon skin...I've never seen a thread about a ghost recon game on here and wondered if there was a fan base?

heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
heckels on

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Anything that isn't Ghost Recon 1 can eat all the dicks. :3

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Third person camera to first person gunplay. Awkward.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Ha!

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    And the expanions. Those don't have to gnaw schlong, right?

• Options
    So you guys don't like it?

heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Eh, it's not so much people don't like it, but more that there's nothing really to go by the game yet, except that it's going to be another modern* warfare shooter in a sea of shooters. And TOGSolid's post is more of a comment on how the series has actually progressed. I mean, there was actually a time where when you picked up a game with the Tom Clancy brand on it, it meant you were about to play something with at least some semblance of authenticity and groundedness without Baysplosions going off every other mag change. It was truly craaaaaaazy times, man.

*Yeah, I'm aware it's technically supposed to be near-future with hypothetical gadgets and weapons and shit, but it's modern enough.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Looks fun. I'm more interested in the multi than the singleplayer, which looks like it's a little on-rails if a lot of the promo material is anything to go by. A little more freedom in the levels and scenarios would be nice.

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    I'm sure it will be fun, but it makes me miss the Ghost Recon of old more than anything. Hell, I even liked Advanced Warfighter, but every game Tom Clancy game since then hasn't really had anything new to offer. Except maybe EndWar, but that was basically World in Conflict with voice commands.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Sooooo I don't see a thread for Ghost Recon Online anywhere.

I'm in the beta and I think it's pretty rad. Anyone else in?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yep, they definitely significantly decreased the recoil of automatic fire, which removes the need for trigger discipline,
    but also some of the fun tactical part of maneuvering within eyeshot but not gunshot.

that said, since being in cover means you can easily dispatch anyone that wanders into your field of view without exposing yourself, getting behind them reliably results in an all you can shotgun buffet.

rRootagea on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Eh, it's not so much people don't like it, but more that there's nothing really to go by the game yet, except that it's going to be another modern* warfare shooter in a sea of shooters. And TOGSolid's post is more of a comment on how the series has actually progressed. I mean, there was actually a time where when you picked up a game with the Tom Clancy brand on it, it meant you were about to play something with at least some semblance of authenticity and groundedness without Baysplosions going off every other mag change. It was truly craaaaaaazy times, man.

*Yeah, I'm aware it's technically supposed to be near-future with hypothetical gadgets and weapons and shit, but it's modern enough.

I miss the planning and setup of the original Ghost Recon. And I remember jumping online trying to play the MP whilst drinking and getting destroyed by people I never saw.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'm actually pretty stoked about this. Of course, I have no sentimental attachment to what the series used to be, and I'm one of the weirdos who really enjoyed Splinter Cell: Conviction, and I also get a hard-on for co-op games.

I'm also only 65% sure this game will ever come out.

• Options
    I'm in the same boat as you dirty...we are the minority...

heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Yup.

Very surprised at how much I like it. Style. Good animation. Playability. I like the third/first person hybrid. Needs some work, but hey... BETA!

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

I miss the planning and setup of the original Ghost Recon. And I remember jumping online trying to play the MP whilst drinking and getting destroyed by people I never saw.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Every time a new shooter with the Red Storm logo pops out from Ubisoft's frothy loins, my immediate reaction is to find out if Rainbow Six 3 is still compatible with the hardware I'm using.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm gonna pick this up for the 360.

I wonder if there is a weapon list available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cih7QOlGxyo

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    So i just recived a ps3 beta key for this. What is it and why should i download it?

If you can't convince me then I may pass it on.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Sheep wrote: »

Yup.

Very surprised at how much I like it. Style. Good animation. Playability. I like the third/first person hybrid. Needs some work, but hey... BETA!

I played the beta a bit too. Seemed fun as far as shooters go. Didn't get to try out a lot of the abilities but the shield power seemed crazy powerful. Once activated I could run in a group of enemies like a madman and shotgun them allwhile they desperately tried to break through my shield.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Louie wrote: »
    So i just recived a ps3 beta key for this. What is it and why should i download it?

If you can't convince me then I may pass it on.

It is sort of a access to the multiplayer beta. I think you got it with Splinter Cell: Conviction.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    EDIT: I'm the goose, I read "pass it on" as "pass on it". Totally changes the tone of the message.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I guess he meant he may pass the key to someone else if it doesn't interest him.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    JMT_AOTPJMT_AOTP Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So you can download the beta now to get it preloaded. leaked codes are going out for both ps3 and 360. just waiting for it to go live.

JMT_AOTP on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I got a code for this in my email today randomly from some forum I must have signed up for but never posted on. Hooray! I'm on 360 and looking forward to it, I hope it's like GRAW but I imagine it won't be....

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    I got a code for this in my email today randomly from some forum I must have signed up for but never posted on. Hooray! I'm on 360 and looking forward to it, I hope it's like GRAW but I imagine it won't be....

I have a feeling like GR:FS is gonna be like Counterstrike with that Warcraft 3 AMX mod on.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I don't have time to play this. Anyone want my ps3 beta code?

Edit:gifted

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    Louie is a dude. The duderest of dudes.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That MP trailer looks pretty good. Is this not an FPS anymore?

Was it ever an FPS?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Gave away 2 of my extra keys. Here's the third one in case anyone wants it (360):
    W3DCW-WT2FX-XW2J2-4JXF4-4GG7Z

The only Ghost Recon game I've played before was the launch 360 title, which I liked. Didn't particularly care about the previous ones.

Also, anyone with a copy of Splinter Cell Conviction can download the beta through the disc.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote: »
    Also, anyone with a copy of Splinter Cell Conviction can download the beta through the disc.

Neat. I might take a look at it sometime. This also reminds me I haven't done that co-op DLC for Conviction yet.

• Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    I played this a bit over the weekend. I'm a big fan of shooters that require you to act tactically with your squad, and so far this feels like that.

I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I loved the first GRAW, so if this can live up to that, I'll probably end up picking it up. Yeah, the series has certainly got more "arcadey" than the original Ghost Recon's, but I think they did a really good job in the first GRAW of mixing the need to look at a situation tactically, with the mindless-fun of a more arcadey shooter. There were plenty of scenarios you couldn't just Call of Duty your way through. This same formula worked pretty well in R6: Vegas too. Which not-to-ironically R6 purists also hated, but I loved.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    phishstikphishstik Registered User regular
    Loved the first Ghost Recon on PC cause it was pretty much a simulator. Then it went to shit.

I will give this one a try though, the co-op trailers/playthroughs look good.

Looking at this gameplay footage, I think they should just rename it Ghost in the Shell simply because WE NEED THAT instead!

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The thing I hated about Ghost Recon was the goddamn auto-locking hitscan enemies ala Rainbow Six. It's not realistic, it's just a pain in the ass. One or two bullets can kill? Fine, great, love it. But an enemy squad in the process of being ambushed from Ghosts on two sides from the high ground AND in the prone position should not be able to wipe our your team in fifteen seconds. And yes, this happened every time I tried to get 'tactical'. I beat the game by save scumming and did not feel good about it.

• Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    The mp beta feels more like Metal Gear Online than any GR game I've played.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Nailed it. I was trying to think of what was so familiar about it. I didn't play nearly enough MGS4 MGO, but yeah, you're right.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    For anyone else that has the BLD-3 unlocked, does it actually seem to do anything when you use it? Because most people I've theoretically hit with it just tend to shoot me in the face like nothing happened.

• Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    Zenitram wrote: »
    I'm sure it will be fun, but it makes me miss the Ghost Recon of old more than anything. Hell, I even liked Advanced Warfighter, but every game Tom Clancy game since then hasn't really had anything new to offer. Except maybe EndWar, but that was basically World in Conflict with voice commands.

STEAL YOUR MANS with Jack Bauer.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Just throwing out there that I LOVED EndWar. And Tom Clancy's games are ones that I never consciously set out to get, or even buy at release generally, but when I went to get Splinter Cell out to get into this beta, I noticed on my shelf I have like every Tom Clancy release.

Way to go, Ubi.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular

Yes! Dead on.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Just throwing out there that I LOVED EndWar. And Tom Clancy's games are ones that I never consciously set out to get, or even buy at release generally, but when I went to get Splinter Cell out to get into this beta, I noticed on my shelf I have like every Tom Clancy release.

Way to go, Ubi.

I too own almost every single Tom Clancy release, but I never buy them full price. Most of the games I own are on Steam and I got them for around 3 bucks apiece during a sale. I'll probably wait a year or two and get Future Soldier when its like 20 bucks.

The only GR game I bought at full price was the first one, and that's because it was a lot more like the older Rainbow Six games, which I loved.