As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    grissom again..
    is that ..fucking.. micheal cain on the intercom? or a very good impersonator.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Woman of Steel, man of kleenex?

Careful, you're dating yourself (and me).

But yes, that story was exactly what I had in mind.

If you think about it, Larry Niven is the spiritual father of the Tali-sweat nerd, except gayer. He was obsessing over Superman's sperm in 1971.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    "FUCKING ADEPTS SUCK JESUS CHRIST"
    *pick Asari Adept just for laughs*

Oh sweet jesus this class is the avatar of the apocalypse. It does everything the other two adept variants fail miserably at. Having a spam power that actually does solid damage is fucking mindblowing. Stasis doesn't seem too useful though since the cooldown lasts for a year. All I need is Warp and Throw all day every day though.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    As you get the level cranked up, stasis's cooldown gets reasonably short.

And since it immobilizes those jerks for your snipers to take out, it's pretty handy!

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Ending thoughts:
    Why is it so bad that the best result you can hope for in the face of galactic annihilation is the salvation of at least some of the living, with the ability to rebuild from scratch?

I was dreading the ending based on the posts, and now that I got it the idea of the cycle resetting WITHOUT everyone dying this time doesn't seem so bad at all.

No matter what, the cycle continues. The variable is how much life is destroyed along the way. Having the cycle start again WITHOUT everyone dying seems a perfectly acceptable end for an ultimately human soldier.

So again, what exactly is the issue?

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Oh sweet jesus this class is the avatar of the apocalypse. It does everything the other two adept variants fail miserably at. Having a spam power that actually does solid damage is fucking mindblowing. Stasis doesn't seem too useful though since the cooldown lasts for a year. All I need is Warp and Throw all day every day though.

O_o Stasis is like a 2.5 second cooldown!

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    htm wrote: »

If you think about it, Larry Niven is the spiritual father of the Tali-sweat nerd, except gayer. He was obsessing over Superman's sperm in 1971.

Larry Niven is the king of "what if".

His Known Space is just what if piled upon what if. :p

• Options
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Ending thoughts:
    Why is it so bad that the best result you can hope for in the face of galactic annihilation is the salvation of at least some of the living, with the ability to rebuild from scratch?

I was dreading the ending based on the posts, and now that I got it the idea of the cycle resetting WITHOUT everyone dying this time doesn't seem so bad at all.

No matter what, the cycle continues. The variable is how much life is destroyed along the way. Having the cycle start again WITHOUT everyone dying seems a perfectly acceptable end for an ultimately human soldier.

The ending is more about breaking the cycle, actually.

I'll let the people that have a problem with the ending talk about their problems with it; I liked it, despite the continuity issues.

And I'm off to bed. Good night mass effect thread!

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Shen wrote: »

Slooooooooow. You know what else has a two point five second cool down? Space Hitler. Also communism. One point three second conc shots representing in the house of lords, yo.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »

Larry Niven is the king of "what if".

His Known Space is just what if piled upon what if. :p

I haven't read all of his stuff. Ringworld convinced me he shouldn't be allowed to write without the help of Pournelle (and for fuck's sake, Pournelle should never have been allowed to put words to paper without Niven present). Together or alone, though, they're pretty suspect. I mean... revanchist militaristic and/or neo-monarchist trappings are perfectly fine things to put in SF novels, but... their books always left me with the impression that they actually believed in that shit.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ending thoughts:

The issue is...
    The Synthesis ending is contrived deus ex machina space magic out of left field that doesn't make sense. The Normandy crash landing cutscene makes absolutely no sense. The Catalyst's characterization and motivations are, well, dumb- a simplistic take on a concept the series itself explored in much more satisfactory depth. The Stargazer coda is hokey and out of place.

Most importantly, it's all unnecessary. It ends on a kludged "wider context" note in a series that thrived on a gripping narrative, setting and most importantly characters. The ending is Shepherd next to Anderson, told he/she done good and that Surrogate Father Figure is proud of him/her, maybe bleeding out, maybe not, war over. That's the emotional and narrative thread that closes the series. Not some nonsense about the McGuffin. The nice thing about the Crucible was that it was just the McGuffin; an excuse to drive the plot. We didn't need to know anything more about it. The ending as it stands is the Maltese Falcon explaining to Sam Spade that human greed will always cause corruption, but if he sacrifices himself as Jesus Noir Detective, the Falcon will use its reality editing powers to merge the corrupt-with-the-non-corrupt, and no more film noir crime stories will take place.

A satisfactory ending could have featured the destruction of the Relay network*, and Control/Destruction have fewer problems than the tacked-on Synthesis, but the real problem is that none of it was necessary to end the game and it distracts from the real emotional core of the finale. That distraction kills the well-deserved momentum and investment three games had built up at the absolutely worst time to kill that.

I mean, we can discuss the actual particulars of the plot and holes and whether or not the ending makes sense until the end of time, but it's all kind of irrelevant. The real problem is that as a narrative decision, the ending is, well, wrong. It gives closure to an irrelevancy, adds mystery where there needed to be resolution, kills mystery where the unknown would have been powerful, and undermines what the game did such a great job at establishing.

*Though, like many, I like the setting and would have preferred it remain reasonably intact. A post-Reaper War ME4 with the galaxy rebuilding would have been grand.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Vanguard:
    Out of ammo always. Charge and explode. Repeat.

YES

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

Not on the Asari Adept it does. It's over 4 seconds even with 200% cooldown.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The worst thing about the endings:
    Joker. He is the biggest bro, flies into the Collector base and shoots some dudes to rescue you, all that jazz. And then in ME3 for whatever reason, he takes the Normandy on some weird trip away from Earth. No reason given. No explanation. He just takes it for a ride into FTL. It's the dumbest fucking shit. Hell, it's as dumb as the squadmates you took with you suddenly appearing on the Normandy.

If you like the endings,you are indoctrinated.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Of all the characters in the entire goddamn series that would flee and retreat like cowards, Joker is the last person who would do that. He's shown twice now that you can count on him in a tight situation. It's a complete detraction for his character. He'd fly into the gates of hell for Shepard.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    Ending thoughts:

The issue is...
    The Synthesis ending is contrived deus ex machina space magic out of left field that doesn't make sense. The Normandy crash landing cutscene makes absolutely no sense. The Catalyst's characterization and motivations are, well, dumb- a simplistic take on a concept the series itself explored in much more satisfactory depth. The Stargazer coda is hokey and out of place.

Most importantly, it's all unnecessary. It ends on a kludged "wider context" note in a series that thrived on a gripping narrative, setting and most importantly characters. The ending is Shepherd next to Anderson, told he/she done good and that Surrogate Father Figure is proud of him/her, maybe bleeding out, maybe not, war over. That's the emotional and narrative thread that closes the series. Not some nonsense about the McGuffin. The nice thing about the Crucible was that it was just the McGuffin; an excuse to drive the plot. We didn't need to know anything more about it. The ending as it stands is the Maltese Falcon explaining to Sam Spade that human greed will always cause corruption, but if he sacrifices himself as Jesus Noir Detective, the Falcon will use its reality editing powers to merge the corrupt-with-the-non-corrupt, and no more film noir crime stories will take place.

A satisfactory ending could have featured the destruction of the Relay network*, and Control/Destruction have fewer problems than the tacked-on Synthesis, but the real problem is that none of it was necessary to end the game and it distracts from the real emotional core of the finale. That distraction kills the well-deserved momentum and investment three games had built up at the absolutely worst time to kill that.

I mean, we can discuss the actual particulars of the plot and holes and whether or not the ending makes sense until the end of time, but it's all kind of irrelevant. The real problem is that as a narrative decision, the ending is, well, wrong. It gives closure to an irrelevancy, adds mystery where there needed to be resolution, kills mystery where the unknown would have been powerful, and undermines what the game did such a great job at establishing.

*Though, like many, I like the setting and would have preferred it remain reasonably intact. A post-Reaper War ME4 with the galaxy rebuilding would have been grand.
    Thanks for writing that, I've been trying to mentally piece things together the last half a day and this is pretty much what I've been trying to form.

The ending has been eating me away more and more. Truly it's been a brilliant character-driven series, and then everything becomes so adament in the last 5 minutes to change direction completely. First 99% of ME3 I was in heaven, and then the ending has just left me feeling hollow - all those characters I got to know... well it felt like it was for nothing. To keep an open mind, I might have liked the ending more if it went into any real detail of what happened afterwards - it's insanely short for what is a massive choice.

Or, if I can don my tin-foil hat for a moment, perhaps some epic-level trolling from Bioware.

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    the more of this thread I skim while not owning the game, the more anxious I feel about the idea of throwing down cash. I really liked ME2, like most sane gamers, but while I wouldn't regard myself as a story connoisseur, the sheer volume of bickering going on here about a major aspect of the story that's been built up to over 3 whole games is kind of intimidating.

should I wait for a price drop?

Torgairon on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    It's not really bickering. More like most people agreeing that BioWare shit the bed.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Game is ballin' out of control in every regard so far, I'm 20 hours in.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Not on the Asari Adept it does. It's over 4 seconds even with 200% cooldown.

What weapon are you using? Sniper Rifles will launch your cooldowns like a Mass Relay if you equip them for some reason.

• Options
    holy fucking shit this fight in
    grissom
    is insanely hard and im on hardcore.

i wonder if i will have to do this when i do my insantiy playthrough because
    i got jack killed in me2.
    ?

• Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    So, this thread is moving faster than I can keep up, so I don't know if anyone else has caught this, but...

Ending:
    Doesn't EDI only survive in the Synthesis ending? Since all of her major processors are on the Normandy, and the Normandy gets wrecked, she'd become a shadow of her former self if even that.

Eva's body is supposed to be only controllable if it remains within range of Normandy since EDI is the Normandy. There's two conversations in-game regarding this: one once EDI gains Eva's body and one in Engineering between the Chief Engineer and Daniels & Donnelly.

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »
    the more of this thread I skim while not owning the game, the more anxious I feel about the idea of throwing down cash. I really liked ME2, like most sane gamers, but while I wouldn't regard myself as a story connoisseur, the sheer volume of bickering going on here about a major aspect of the story that's been built up to over 3 whole games is kind of intimidating.

As someone who doesn't like the ending in the slightest, I'd say buy it.

This game is good, it will grip you, it will make you feel. No matter how many of us say that the end is crap or good, this game needs to be experienced.

• Options

The game is hilariously awesome, has some pretty damn funny dialogue, great setpieces and if you import your previous saves you get a LOT of cameos and other cool stuff.
    It's definitely the best game in the trilogy.
    It just has a fucking piss poor ending.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Klyka wrote: »

The game is hilariously awesome, has some pretty damn funny dialogue, great setpieces and if you import your previous saves you get a LOT of cameos and other cool stuff.
    It's definitely the best game in the trilogy.
    It just has a fucking piss poor ending.

Also, Blasto 6 DLC. It must be done. It must.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    i bet the ending is awesome, so awesome its passed beyond comprehension. it has to be with all this whining, i bet the hate is just like the battlestar galatica ending, theres a similar kind of ranting going on about it, so it must be good.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Of all the characters in the entire goddamn series that would flee and retreat like cowards, Joker is the last person who would do that. He's shown twice now that you can count on him in a tight situation. It's a complete detraction for his character. He's fly into the gates of hell for Shepard.

Wait, what? If this happens, maybe put it in spoiler tags?

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    i bet the ending is awesome, so awesome its passed beyond comprehension. it has to be with all this whining, i bet the hate is just like the battlestar galatica ending, theres a similar kind of ranting going on about it, so it must be good.
    Let's say this was star wars, and it turned out that Jek Porkins was the emperor after all, and the only choices luke had was to turn to the dark side, to kill the emperor but also kill all droids everywhere, or to become the death star.

...Wait, that doesn't make any sense. Well, neither does this game's ending.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    i just think its crazy how many people have already finished it

im almost 30 hours in and ive been playing way too much. just got priority: thessia

• Options
    Oh, so it was a spoiler. Thanks a fucking bunch.

• Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    It's a great game. But I would wait to hear if there's going to be a Director's Cut, Broken Steel or End of Evangelion type thing to address the issues with the ending before playing. If they fixed the ending, I'd rather not even know what it originally was. But that's just me. On the other hand, everything up to the ending is really great. It is a game that is worth $60, moreso if you import a character.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Oh, so it was a spoiler. Thanks a fucking bunch.

It doesn't happen in any way like Scarab wrote it.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote: »

im almost 30 hours in and ive been playing way too much. just got priority: thessia

yeah its insane, i read on one forum that guy finished in 25 hours and claimed to have done everything on hardcore and im like whaa, he must of seriously skipped a shit load of stuff (and it looks like a lot is missable if you are not paying attention) he cant of explored or talked with crew or anything.

im only 15 hours in and ive still got a ton of side quests to finish and after that im going to priority: sur'kesh.

• Options
    Achire wrote: »
    It's a great game. But I would wait to hear if there's going to be a Director's Cut, Broken Steel or End of Evangelion type thing to address the issues with the ending before playing. If they fixed the ending, I'd rather not even know what it originally was. But that's just me. On the other hand, everything up to the ending is really great. It is a game that is worth $60, moreso if you import a character.

If you're gonna use Evangelion as an example, then does that mean that we're going to get to see it split up and re-told across several parts, but even better and more coherently than the original series? (Rebuild of Evangelion)

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    They have an out with the 'it was all indoctrination' thing. But that's almost more annoying.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Seriously, could you please spoiler tag this shit. Hints, vague allusions to and oblique comments about the ending are still bloody spoilers.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »

yeah its insane, i read on one forum that guy finished in 25 hours and claimed to have done everything on hardcore and im like whaa, he must of seriously skipped a shit load of stuff (and it looks like a lot is missable if you are not paying attention) he cant of explored or talked with crew or anything.

im only 15 hours in and ive still got a ton of side quests to finish and after that im going to priority: sur'kesh.

I must have missed at least 4 sidequests and im playing on hardcore. i think im at least 10 hours away from finishing, probably more, so anyone who says they finished in 25 hours on hc must have blazed through missions while skipping most of the sidequests and not bothering to talk to people and hang out.

I've felt inundated with stuff to do and people to talk to. almost every time i go to a different level in the normandy some new dynamic conversation is happening between liara and garrus or james and cortez or whoever else. They did an outstanding job this time at making the ship feel like genuine place - no one just stands around anymore. I love it. That was one of my main gripes with ME2, everyone was just waiting for you to talk to them. Not the case this time at all. Best ME game ever. I still miss the mako though.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Unprotected spoilers in this thread are now under Tarkin Doctrine. I don't care if you edit in spoiler tags after the fact.

• Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    Just finished. Spoilered impressions kept short by the slightly embarrassing fact that there is now light coming through my window and I have yet to sleep.
    Man, just finished this game. Finally starting to read through this thread and spoilers, etc. Same feeling as many others, the games was epic until that stupid elevator kicked on. Won't repeat what everyone else has said in depth, but the game is just so incredibly character driven that such a wide scale ending with no individual attention to the characters that made the game special is just a complete let down. Even still shots with narratives in the back would have done the trick.

Won't even start on the space magic. Kind of just repressing everything after Anderson passes.

That said, the experience was entirely worth it just for the character interaction. Very few narratives (books, games, movies, etc.) have gotten me so invested in such a wide range of characters. Reading through these spoilers, it practically broke my heart when I read someone posting about Tali committing suicide. The universe would be a darker place without Tali and her Emergency Induction Port or otherwise adorable rambling.

And Mordin. My buddy called me and we were carefully touching base on our ME3 experience so far. We realized Tuchanka was safe to talk about, which then led to a mutual moment of silence for a Scientist Sullarian who will be missed. Gonna be humming that song for the next month.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    goddamn, this must be the 50th time i've died at
    this insane battle at grissom, where jack and co are above.. since starting the game i've only died 3-5 times that i can remember

This discussion has been closed.