As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    goddamn, this must be the 50th time i've died at
    this insane battle at grissom, where jack and co are above.. since starting the game i've only died 3-5 times that i can remember

If it's the part I think you're talking about,
    If you ambush that Cerberus Engineer proper-like, that's just before that room, you can board the Atlas and lolmech that entire encounter.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Achire wrote: »
    It's a great game. But I would wait to hear if there's going to be a Director's Cut, Broken Steel or End of Evangelion type thing to address the issues with the ending before playing. If they fixed the ending, I'd rather not even know what it originally was. But that's just me. On the other hand, everything up to the ending is really great. It is a game that is worth $60, moreso if you import a character.

If you're gonna use Evangelion as an example, then does that mean that we're going to get to see it split up and re-told across several parts, but even better and more coherently than the original series? (Rebuild of Evangelion)

I would buy the shit out of Mass Effect 1 redone with the Mass Effect 3 engine.

Like, this wouldn't even be on the table as a question.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    this insane battle at grissom, where jack and co are above.. since starting the game i've only died 3-5 times that i can remember

If you ambush that Cerberus Engineer proper-like, that's just before that room, you can board the Atlas and lolmech that entire encounter.
    Yeah I saw that and was just "hahah!" *adrenaline rush*

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular

i took out the atlas first, i did that first wave after 30 times dying, the its the wave at the other side now, turrets, turrets everywhere.

It's a great game. But I would wait to hear if there's going to be a Director's Cut, Broken Steel or End of Evangelion type thing to address the issues with the ending before playing. If they fixed the ending, I'd rather not even know what it originally was. But that's just me. On the other hand, everything up to the ending is really great. It is a game that is worth $60, moreso if you import a character.

If you're gonna use Evangelion as an example, then does that mean that we're going to get to see it split up and re-told across several parts, but even better and more coherently than the original series? (Rebuild of Evangelion)

i was talking to someone earlier and they talked how much better me1 combat was and how the cover system was much better. no joke.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

i took out the atlas first, i did that first wave after 30 times dying, the its the wave at the other side now, turrets, turrets everywhere.

No no.
    There's a room just before that, with a single engineer and an empty Atlas. If you kill that engineer before he can board the Atlas, you can pilot it and beast through that entire encounter.

No no.
    There's a room just before that, with a single engineer and an empty Atlas. If you kill that engineer before he can board the Atlas, you can pilot it and beast through that entire encounter.
    WHAT. oh man.. damnit. i totally missed that.. ugghhhh now i have to debate between ignoring my no-reload no matter the cost first run approach to spending the next 50 hours dealing with this.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Urgh, the Graal Spike Thrower shoots so quickly and does tonnes of damage, but not having the max +200% cooldown is really bugging me.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular

Yep. Ton of ways I can see the ME2/ME3 improvements being back-implemented into a Mass Effect 1 remake.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    OH GOD BEST PARAGON ACTION EVER.
    Sealing Wrex's handshake on Tuchanka then watching him storm off into the Rachni, fucking awesome.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I feel like the SMG in this game is the true backup/secondary weapon, instead of the heavy pistol. There are two reasons for this:

First, the SMG gets the weight reduction attachment. Now when you think of a backup weapon, you think of something small and light and compact. The weight reduction means that the SMG is a natural addition to the rest of your arsenal, without burdening you with much of an increase in power cooldowns. When you need some additional firepower that won't require much of a tradeoff, a weight reduced SMG fits the bill.

The second reason is the heatsink attachment. This is the attachment that gives a 30-45% chance of retaining your heatsink when you fire a shot. Basically, it grants a whole lot more ammo. You can obviously see why this would be handy for a backup weapon. Usually, you'll only need to pull out a backup weapon when you've expended all the ammo of your primary weapons... your assault rifles and sniper rifles. So now you're down to your SMG, and luckily enough this attachment means you'll have a plentiful supply of ammo to help you last through the rest of the fight.

It's too bad, but they really made the SMG too good, to the point where I don't see any real reason to ever take a pistol.

Delta Assault on
    did it finally, and man what an awesome reward
    got to meet up with david, the guy i saved from overlord, that made everything worth it.

man the dialouge this time around is really great.

I feel like the SMG in this game is the true backup/secondary weapon, instead of the heavy pistol. There are two reasons for this:

First, the SMG gets the weight reduction attachment. Now when you think of a backup weapon, you think of something small and light and compact. The weight reduction means that the SMG is a natural addition to the rest of your arsenal, without burdening you with much of an increase in power cooldowns. When you need some additional firepower that won't require much of a tradeoff, a weight reduced SMG fits the bill.

The second reason is the heatsink attachment. This is the attachment that gives a 30-45% chance of retaining your heatsink when you fire a shot. Basically, it grants a whole lot more ammo. You can obviously see why this would be handy for a backup weapon. Usually, you'll only need to pull out a backup weapon when you've expended all the ammo of your primary weapons... your assault rifles and sniper rifles. So now you're down to your SMG, and luckily enough this attachment means you'll have a plentiful supply of ammo to help you last through the rest of the fight.

It's too bad, but they really made the SMG too good, to the point where I don't see any real reason to ever take a pistol.

That's because the pistols are incredible primary weapons, especially in multi and for CD-reliant classes :P

ladi.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I'm wondering if any future DLC missions are going to improve the Galactic Readiness percentage in addition to any weapons/story stuff.

newSig.jpg
    I also don't like how they changed special weapons. In ME2, you could carry them along with you. Now, they're just in your hands and you either use them or drop them. Shepard apparently doesn't have any room on his back for them anymore.

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Sealing Wrex's handshake on Tuchanka then watching him storm off into the Rachni, fucking awesome.

I think the best paragon choice in the game, not necessarily an interrupt was:
    Purposely missing the shot when shooting the breeze with Garrus high above the Presidium.

He's the best friend. What a great moment.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    pistols are retardedly good, especially the paladin

rock a penetration and caliber mod and just headshot chumps like its a sniper rifle, or kill guardians through their shields and nemeses through their cover

obF2Wuw.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I run an Engineer in multi with an Avenger with stability and now a scope. Thing is AWESOME.
    Until I run out of ammo...

At least I've little cool down to spam Incinerate.

newSig.jpg
    They should've allowed the spare ammo attachment for all weapon classes. It's strange to have more ammo for your sniper rifle then for your assault rifle...

soo.. about someone you meet at grissom
    is that all i get with jack? i romanced her.. and shes gone? thought she might hang around on the normandy or something..

You must be using the wrong sniper.

ladi.png
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Mutliplayer is really good, but could need improvements in my opinion:

It doesn't really feel like a warzone, more like a small secluded area attacked by cerberus troops every now and then. I'd say, there needs to be more ambient war noise and graphics, like in certain single playe levels, and assault troops should drop in at all times, about 7-10 at a time. When a new wave begins, only more troops and "bosses" show up. On higher difficulties, there'll always be 7-10 assault troops and 2 centurions at all times.

The objective missions aren't bad, but could need some twists.

For the download mission: Get to the terminal and start the upload. Upload speed depends on the player count in the radius, as it does now. However, there's no time limit. The more data you download in that wave, the more credits you get. Also, the radius starts out smaller than it does now. However, it groes steadily, speed depending on the player count in the radius. When an enemy (or certain enemies, like Engineers) enter the radius, it stops to grow. Too many enemies and it shrinks. This encourages you to hold the territory as best as you can, and by allowing a bigger radius you aren't limited to a small area like now.

For activate/disable objectives, it's simple. Reaper indoctrination devices don't just pop up. They're carried in by Engineers, protected heavily by other troops. If you manage to kill the carrier before he sets it up, you're already good. If he sets it down but doesn't activate it, other Engineers can still activate it, unless you destroy it. Enemy devices have different effects: Indoctrination devices have negative effects, like less weapon damage, higher power recharge speed etc. Weapon triggers allow bombardement of the map unless disabled. You can avoid it by seeking shelter.

Friendly objectives have to be picked up from the shuttle at the starting area, then carried to the destination and avtivated. Communication devices, for example, reveal enemy positions through walls.

Since this makes the game quite more difficult, you could lower the boss enemy count on higher difficulties a bit.

Last: The credits you get at the end of the match are determined by objective bonuses but also other things like: Score, enemies killed, revives, headshots and other medals. They should also be affected by the unknown location and unknown enemy bonuses.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I think the best paragon choice in the game, not necessarily an interrupt was:
    Purposely missing the shot when shooting the breeze with Garrus high above the Presidium.

He's the best friend. What a great moment.

I took the Renegade choice there
    I don't let my friends win because that just cheapens everything. Friends in a competition will give their best out of respect and love for their friends.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    soo.. about someone you meet at grissom
    is that all i get with jack? i romanced her.. and shes gone? thought she might hang around on the normandy or something..
    She's got kids to take care of, but hang in there!

Extreaminatus on
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Mass Effect 2 Crew:
    I was kinda disappointed that Jack was the only one that looked different. Everyone else was exactly the same, right down to their clothing.

Oh yeah, just realized...
    Where was Katsumi? Everybody else showed up in the course of the campaign, but... never saw hide nor hair of Katsumi.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Where was Katsumi? Everybody else showed up in the course of the campaign, but... never saw hide nor hair of Katsumi.
    quest on the citadel given by a salarian spectre

edited March 2012
    Elendil wrote: »
    quest on the citadel given by a salarian spectre
    Hmmm. There was one Salarian agent I worked with. He ended up dying. We were trying to stop a Hanar ambassador.

Didn't see Katsumi anywhere.

Delta Assault on
    RT800 wrote: »
    Mass Effect 2 Crew:
    I was kinda disappointed that Jack was the only one that looked different. Everyone else was exactly the same, right down to their clothing.

Miranda had a different appearance, and a slightly different outfit. So too did Jacob. Mainly to remove the Cerberus insignias and colour scheme.

edited March 2012
    The two saddest moments in the campaign for me:
    1) When Mordin died. I yelled out "Nooooo!" God, that was heartbreaking to watch. I'd already seen Grunt seemingly sacrifice himself and miraculously survive somehow, so I thought the same would happen with Mordin. Nope. Didn't happen. He didn't make it out. That was crushing.

2) When I found out Kelly Chambers died. That was just cold, BioWare. Right between the eyes? Goddamnit, she didn't deserve that. That warm, loving flower Kelly. She didn't deserve that at all. And really, how was I to know that the right dialogue was to convince her to go incognito? =(

Delta Assault on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Quick question: Are there a finite amount of credits available in the game? I mean, do I have to worry about being thrifty?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Drez wrote: »
    Quick question: Are there a finite amount of credits available in the game? I mean, do I have to worry about being thrifty?

Yes credits are finite, but unless you want all 3 Spectre weapons (they're not that great, not really worth saving for), you can pretty much upgrade every weapon you would want to use to full and buy every mod with no problem.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    no

I finished the game with 8 weapons upgraded to max, all the fish and aquariums, and I still had like 500 k

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Holy shit!
    With everyone getting off the ship after the crash, who's going to feed my damn fish?!

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Is the point of no return (I imagine there is one) well documented?

Plan to make a save just before it, run through the ending then do multiplayer to 100% and go back through it again.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, Hackett will make it very explicit before the point of no return comes.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    edited March 2012
    There's one thing I didn't have a problem with in the ending:
    The after credits coda where you see Buzz Aldrin talking to a boy. Now this, I was fine with. I hear a lot of people are upset by this little scene, but I don't see a problem with it. Yes, it does somewhat suggest that the entire story from ME1 to now has been an inaccurate retelling by this old man, but I don't think it makes it concrete. I could just as well choose to interpret it as saying that the entire story of Shepard happened just as I played it, and then, many many years later, this old man has retold it to his grandson, with some changes that we never see. I think the main message of this coda is just that Shepard's story lived on after his death and influenced the future denizens of the universe, which makes sense as he's now become a legend. Even if I have problems with the rest of the ending, I don't see anything wrong with this. Shepard's story is certainly legendary and worthy of homeric retellings.

And really, how can you get upset at a scene that ends with the line, "And every life is a special story of its own?" That's just a beautiful sentiment.

Delta Assault on
    There's one thing I didn't have a problem with in the ending:
    The after credits coda where you see Buzz Aldrin talking to a boy. Now this, I was fine with. I hear a lot of people are upset by this little scene, but I don't see a problem with it. Yes, it does somewhat suggest that the entire story from ME1 to now has been an inaccurate retelling by this old man, but I don't think it makes it concrete. I could just as well choose to interpret it as saying that the entire story of Shepard happened just as I played it, and then, many many years later, this old man has retold it to his grandson, with some changes that we never see. I think the main message of this coda is just that Shepard's story lived on after his death and influenced the future denizens of the universe, which makes sense as he's now become a legend. Even if I have problems with the rest of the ending, I don't see anything wrong with this. Shepard's story is certainly legendary and worthy of homeric retellings.

And really, how can you get upset at a scene that ends with the line, "And every life is a special story of its own?" That's just a beautiful sentiment.

In my opinion that's the worst part.

ENDING spoilers
    It introduces an unreliable narrator for no reason whatsoever. It invalidates more than it enhances.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's...
    Pretentious and cheesy. And it's unearned sentimentality. But, as problems with the ending goes, the Stargazer epilogue is hardly at the top of the list. Also the Christ imagery ("The Shepherd!") is so heavy-handed and unsubtle in that scene it's basically comedy.

Professor Phobos on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    OK thanks (regarding the credits).

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.