As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition] Triple Skulls is where it's at!

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Vamp teams seem kind of bad. Never actually played one myself but it's basically human linemen and some decent players who are a massive liability at the start of every turn.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Bloodlust isn't that bad, mind you it can and will screw you when you least expect it but its mitigated as long as your not rolling 4+ vampires.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    But then you're just playing a team of human linemen. 3 str 4 agi 4 players isn't that good considering. THey should really have made them more vampire counts style with some undead positionals to pick.

Also off for a bite should be useable on enemy team players (with some restrictions, like undead). Basically, instead of auto feeding on a thrall you should have the option to throw a block which, if successful, counts as well and you can proceed as normal. But if the block doesn't get a knockdown it fails.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Yeah, its one of those teams that needs an update exactly like the Norse update a couple years ago.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• DudemanXDudemanX Riverhead, NYRegistered User regular
    If there's anyone out there who still wants a copy of the game and don't want to spend $40 hit me up. I have an extra copy from xmas that I bought when it was like $15-$20 that I'm willing to work out a deal for.

Steam: DudemanX3
    Discord: Dudeman#9279 - Battle.net: Dudeman#1385
    Twitch: CrashTestJonny - XBox: CrshTstJonny
    Nintendo Switch: SW-4469-1892-0302
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Yea, I have a copy as well that I'm holding on to for a special occasion. Might I suggest next time it's on sale everyone pick up an extra copy!

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Next season or bowl I want in.

• Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, Vamps, Ogres, Goblins and Halflings aren't really meant to be balanced. They're "challenge teams" or, less charitably, "joke teams". Lots of fun, and you can win a few games here and there, but not designed to be competitive. Of course that doesn't mean that some or all of them couldn't be redesigned to be competitive, but that's not what GW was shooting for when they were introduced (and halflings will always be a joke team <3).

Edit: aaaand now I see that I'm playing Goblins first thing. I may have set myself up for some humiliation there. :/

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Vamps, Ogres, Goblins and Halflings aren't really meant to be balanced. They're "challenge teams" or, less charitably, "joke teams". Lots of fun, and you can win a few games here and there, but not designed to be competitive. Of course that doesn't mean that some or all of them couldn't be redesigned to be competitive, but that's not what GW was shooting for when they were introduced (and halflings will always be a joke team <3).

Edit: aaaand now I see that I'm playing Goblins first thing. I may have set myself up for some humiliation there. :/
    The burning you feel? It is shame.

Please, call me ebo.
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    ebotastic wrote: »

The burning you feel? It is shame.

Huh, doctor said that it was.. a different thing than that.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    @Docshifty

When do you want to get together to beat me at this game?

I'm going to be out of town Monday-Thursday since my job is sending me out of town for something that's not in my job description.

The best times for me this week are Thursday evening (3P-5p)/Friday/Saturday (7a-9a, or 3p-5p), or any time Sunday (the 18th).

• papercuts6papercuts6 Registered User regular
    Well it looks like the first match-up of the season was between the Asgard Arctic Cats and the notorious Dark Elf team: Knife in your Back. The game started off on a disastrous note for the elves, when their assassin went down with a multiple-rib fracture which will likely keep him out for the next match. Shortly thereafter, the Norsemen culminated a strong running drive with a touchdown. The Arctic Cats spent the remainder of the first half hammering bewildered elves into the deck (the match was played on a local merchant ship that was docked at the time). Somehow during the melee, the nords scored again, but at this point everyone was so drunk and riled up that no one can quite remember how they did it. The second half started off with the Cats kicking it off to one of their own berserkers who promptly dropped the ball. This would set the tone for the rest of the game, as the Norsemen were too drunk, and elves were too shell-shocked to hold on to the ball. After a great deal of fumbling around at midfield, a dark-elf linesman finally snatched-up the ball and fled madly toward the end zone. The match ended shortly thereafter, with the nords drinking, singing, and throwing wild punches while the Knives tried to stay as far away from the early celebration as they could. After the last body was dragged off the field, the score stood 2-1 in the Arctic Cats favor, while the Knives licked their wounds and muttered curses and promises of revenge, as dark-elves are wont to do.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    papercuts6 wrote: »
    snip

Validated

50433.png?1708759015
  • Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    Team Buttercup 0 - 2 Goblin Engineering Inc.

In their opening clash of the season, the Goblins trounced the Necromantics much more than the scoreline suggests.

The match immediately demonstrated how it was going to pan out for the Buttercups, with an immediate fumble by Eleanor the Werewolf granting an 1 move turnover to the goblins. They did not waste this opportunity, building a solid mass of mobs down their left flank, during which they pushed off Sammy the Wight to get his head kicked in by the baying crowd. Morzlak, the Gobbo pogoist collects the ball and attempts a daring vault over Eleanor to set off down the touchline, only for Eleanor to jump and catch his pogo between her teeth. Dave the zombie collects the ball, surviving all off 2 paces as he dashes to safety, recieving a chainsaw in the back from Wattrap (I think that was his name, can't read my writing...). As the gobbos pour down the left, knocking out wolves, zombies and ghouls with aplomb, Morzlak lets his team down again, dropping a straightforward pass. Just as the crowd begins calling for his head, he miraculously picks up the fumble, and joins the safety of the halfformed cage. Eleanor, realising that there was only Benny the Wight left in defense against 5 or 6 goblins, attempts a mad last-chance dash down the touchline to take out morzlak from behind. Sadly, her deft feet abandoned her when they were needed most, and she ended up collapsed in a pool of her own matted fur and blood. The gobbos knew they had it, and over the remainder of the half consilidated their position, pushing the valient Benny further and further back until he too was off-field. Morzlak then scores with the final play of the half, making the score 0-1 at halftime.

The second half continued on from the first for the Necros. Despite getting the advantage at their kick-off, Whitney had overkicked the ball destroying any momentum they hoped to build. The ball was returned into play to Hideplate the Troll. The half played out with the goblins consolidating their advantage over the Necros, using the obvious weakness in the Necro right. Sammy the Wight impressively manages to injure Gutgit the Troll, which leads to a period of both teams destroying and fouling each other, a passage that results in the Necros having 4 men and werewomen standing against 8 or 9 goblins, helped by the referee sending off two Necros, yet ignoring the MASSIVE CHAINSAW WIELDING GOBLIN. Hideplate hands the ball to Wattrap, who happily wanders over to the now-clear bottom-left corner of the pitch, and scores in the goblins' last turn. Recieving the kickoff with only 5 players, the Necros give up on the ball, and instead attempt to injure one of the trolls, but fail in the action, and the final whistle blows.

Good game @KafkaAU, enjoyed it throroughly, even if the dice wasn't really with either of us. I think I only had 1 reroll of 6 come off well for me, think it may have been much the same for you. A real comedy of errors.

steam_sig.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Le sigh...
    Playing Draeven right now. And by playing I mean getting screwed.
    First turn, two thralls badly hurt two linemen, so I'm down 2 players all match.
    I get skull, reroll, skull blocks, can't make a dodge to save my life, and then my ogre blocks, gets both down, fails loner for a reroll, and KOs himself on the first block of my turn after the kickoff from Draeven's score...

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    holy crap, guess the vampires are having a "blessed" match.

steam_sig.png
    though the amazing ogre catch, and run ..followed by me caging him in quite nicely, he then blocks..with a move guy and then dodges out of the tackle zone and GFI 2 times to score, good game t hough in that 2nd half.

Regular League match played, blood bank bandits win 3 - 2.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Yeah, game over vamps winning over humans 3-2. The second half was slightly more entertaining.
    Vamps failed a total of 3 bloodlust rolls, and 2 got rerolled. So only one thrall all game got a KO (and it was turn 14 or something stupid).
    By far the play of the century was my first score. He was all in my backfield and had abandoned the line to stay away from my ogre. So my thrower stands up, picks up the ball in a tackle zone, moves forward and launches a successful pass to my ogre. Ogre runs half the distance to the goal. Draeven's turn he gets two thralls behind the ogre and blitzes with a vamp (2d, pushes). Then closes the ogre in with another thrall on the outside corner. On my turn, I blitz with the ogre into the thrall, blowing my final reroll on bone head, and push him to one side, not even down. Then the ogre dodges into a tackle zone, then dodges again out of the tackle zone, makes two GFIs and scores!
    My second score I was pretty well surrounded at midfield again, my lineman dodges into a TZ, dodges out of the TZ, makes a perfect pass to a blitzer who runs two spaces from scoring and I have another blitzer follow him up field to try and stop a blitz against him. Vamp turn, thrall on my screener, vamp on my screener with hypnotic gaze (so much for my tackle zone...). He has a vamp in my tackle zone at midfield who needs to dodge and make one GFI to successfully blitz my ball carrier. He falls on his face on his first move.

This was basically the game of what shouldn't, did and what should never could. Any 4+ or 5+ was almost a sure thing. Any 2+ was bound to be double 1s (if you even had a reroll left).
    Oh yeah, and after my final turn score there is a pitch invasion that lays out his entire line, he has one thrall and 3 vamps in the backfield standing. A little late...

So, Extension League friends, anyone planning on playing their games this week? :)
    The current week arbitrarily ends tomorrow night (PST), but please say something if you're talking with your opponent and you can get your game played early in the coming week and we can probably hold out a couple extra days.
    But you have to say something! Otherwise we'll never know.

me and my opponent haven't found a time yet, ill send him a message later on and see what hes is doing tomorrow.

Games have been Validated for Regular League

50433.png?1708759015
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    If anyone wants an Open league game, find me on steam

• ElinElin Registered User regular
    So, Extension League friends, anyone planning on playing their games this week? :)
    The current week arbitrarily ends tomorrow night (PST), but please say something if you're talking with your opponent and you can get your game played early in the coming week and we can probably hold out a couple extra days.
    But you have to say something! Otherwise we'll never know.

I dunno, I PM'd Gabriel_Pitt but he hasn't gotten back to me. To be fair I PM'd him this afternoon, I've been busy.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    Bigity is out of town for Spring break for the week, so we wont beable to get our game in, I think he said to me "Your so good, you would of beat me by 2 goals anyways, right " so how bout you give me a 2 goal win and we can call it good :P

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm trying to meet up with Elin this evening to get our game in.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Drae and I might get a game in tonight, but it's nowhere near certain. Our schedules didnt mesh up during the week and now like he said I'm on vacation.

edited March 2012
    EXTENDED LEAGUE

Thanks for your responses, guys. For now, I'll put off rolling over until tomorrow evening. Hopefully those of you who are trying can get your games in tonight.

I still haven't heard from @Aibyn, @Darkewolfe, @Bizazedo and @Mvickers. Could any of you please post and/or PM me to let me know if there are just unavoidable scheduling conflicts or if you and your opponent are working something out. If you're in negotiations and can get the game played in the next couple evenings then I can extend. If you really can't get anything together until next weekend at the earliest, I'll probably roll the week before then.

edit: <3 just for Banzai.

Custom Special on
    If everyone could do me a kind favor and preface their game talking posts with the League their discussing? (Regular, Extended, Speed, Open) It would make my life a tad easier knowing what I need to do and what I can ignore.

Thank you,
    The Management

50433.png?1708759015
  • OddllamaOddllama eBay plastic space robot A+ buyer OhioRegistered User regular
    Sorry for my lack of digging, but would someone mind giving a brief overview of the leagues 'round these parts? (Do I see four?)

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Regular League - Fixed schedule, 28 teams, 7 divisions, just started up (day 1 this week), each day takes 1 week.

Extended League - Fixed schedule, 10? teams, about to finish their cup, each day takes 1 week?

Speed League - Fixed schedule, 6? teams, each day takes 3 days.

Open league - No schedule, no limit on teams, play anyone whenever, except don't keep playing the same person straight away.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Regular league game begun - New York Giant Ratz vs. The Elitist Beer Barons. Live tweeting as always at twitter.com/coachpalington.

SrUxdlb.jpg
    I totally missed meeting up with Gabriel today. My bad completely, I'm moving soon and I was cleaning/packing and totally forgot.

I'll poke at Aibyn, he's just been really busy with school, work, and packing for the move.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    Elin wrote: »
    I totally missed meeting up with Gabriel today. My bad completely, I'm moving soon and I was cleaning/packing and totally forgot.

I'll poke at Aibyn, he's just been really busy with school, work, and packing for the move.

Ditto.

"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
    Ok, looks like Gabriel and I are rescheduled for Tuesday.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Regular League

Okay, 0-4. The score doesn't tell the whole story though.

A rat team with 10 members on the field second half vs. a norse team with 5 members on the field second half tells the rest of it.

Here are some excerpts from the twitter feed:
    Alright guys, it's you two on the way to the end zone. Get this without getting knocked out by rats and you can have some #ale #nuffle
    Druid Fluid, I gave you two jobs, and you failed at both. #headinhands #whynufflewhy
    Tricky rats, they give me a false sense of security by letting me knock one out, so they can just pile on the last few members of the team
    This is the part in the sports movie where the scrappy underdog team beats the hell out of the big drunk strong guys. #suckstobeonthisside

Anyway, you get the idea. I miss my yhetee...

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • DudemanXDudemanX Riverhead, NYRegistered User regular
    The score might have been a bit worse actually had I not extended my drive to start the second half by running my thrower down the field to score instead of making a quick throwing play. Nuffle took pity on the Ratz after the crushing defeat we took from the Norse on Wednesday in the Extended league. In my game against Custom it was like my Runners were Dodgeless Agi 2 players and his Block just tore me apart. Tonight's game was the exact opposite. The way we were rolling it was like Lord Palington's Block wasn't even there. I rolled almost entirely POW! and Def Stumble the entire game and just took him apart. Meanwhile my Runners danced circles around whatever few players he had standing.

I'd feel worse about the beat down if that last game with CS weren't so fresh in my memory but right now I just feel vindicated. Pallington still has most of his players for next week so he'll bounce back like I did.

Steam: DudemanX3
    Discord: Dudeman#9279 - Battle.net: Dudeman#1385
    Twitch: CrashTestJonny - XBox: CrshTstJonny
    Nintendo Switch: SW-4469-1892-0302
    Something I forgot to mention that I worked out in my game against Kafka, if you transfer money into your petty cash it increases your team value.

So that means for any underdogs, any money you transfer into petty cash is wasted as you would have got free cash from being a lower TV anyway. I thought I could transfer an extra 30k in to pump up my inducement money to 100k to get 2 bribes, which is not the case.

Also that means that the team with the higher TV, if you transfer money into petty cash, your opponent will also get the same amount of money you transfer in, except for free.

steam_sig.png
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Rami wrote:
    Vamp teams seem kind of bad. Never actually played one myself but it's basically human linemen and some decent players who are a massive liability at the start of every turn.

Vamp teams are bad - they are a third tier comedy team. The main issue with making them competitive is they break a fundamental rule in that they have players with both strength and agility > 3. That's such a huge thing that the drawbacks have to be immense.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    Yep, you can skill them to be ball busters, because at 4 agil, they have all the ball handling skills covered.

steam_sig.png
    well, i was messing up a human team pretty good with him, so Meh. I didn't really play them thinking I was gonna win alot.