As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2012 BYOC Info/FAQ - Post-Event Feedback starts on page 14

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Krissta wrote: »
    taumeson wrote: »
    Hi everybody.

We're going to be removing a set of tables to make room for the admin area so we're going to cap BYOC at 330. We currently have approximately 315 signed up (not all paid yet, slackers).

So we have 15 or so slots still available as of 14:49 (GMT + 5) 2012/03/02

Eep! I'm guessing if I just signed up and paid that I'll be ok? :\

If you've already signed up, paid, and have your Confirmation email, stating such, you're all set. =)

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Vapok wrote: »
    Krissta wrote: »
    taumeson wrote: »
    Hi everybody.

We're going to be removing a set of tables to make room for the admin area so we're going to cap BYOC at 330. We currently have approximately 315 signed up (not all paid yet, slackers).

So we have 15 or so slots still available as of 14:49 (GMT + 5) 2012/03/02

Eep! I'm guessing if I just signed up and paid that I'll be ok? :\

If you've already signed up, paid, and have your Confirmation email, stating such, you're all set. =)

:D Huzzah! Thanks!

Ln5yLL7.png
  • tratnulatratnula Registered User new member
    edited March 2012
    Hrm, i want to partake in lan activities.. they seem very fun. The problem being, i don't have a lanbox to bring with me to pax east. Do people typically share their space (i could help pay the fees), or can you rent a computer/monitor for the event?

edit: just re read the part where only the person with the BYOC pass can get in, so this leaves me with the question of renting a lan pc.

tratnula on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    tratnula wrote: »
    Hrm, i want to partake in lan activities.. they seem very fun. The problem being, i don't have a lanbox to bring with me to pax east. Do people typically share their space (i could help pay the fees), or can you rent a computer/monitor for the event?

edit: just re read the part where only the person with the BYOC pass can get in, so this leaves me with the question of renting a lan pc.

There are not boxes to rent provided by the con. You might be able to work something out with another attendee though.

edited March 2012

Hi Tratnula,

BYOC is just that, "Bring Your Own Computer." So, unfortunately, we don't have or provide computers that people can rent for the purposes of the BYOC room. Having said that, LAN Activities are abound at PAX, and the PC Freeplay Area will have a very large number of gaming computers available that you can use free of charge for a set period of time. Many of the same games that might be happening in the BYOC area are definitely happening in the PC Freeplay area. So, while we don't allow badge sharing for BYOC, and we don't "rent" computers for the purposes of BYOC, there will be a plethora of LAN activities that you'll be able to participate in located in our PC Freeplay area.

Looking forward to seeing you at PAX! I hope I was abe to answer your questions.

-Vapok

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    btw we will have group seating up within a week or so

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    What time can we arrive before pax actually starts to setup our towers and monitors on friday?
    And how many prizes will there be and what will they be?

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
    edited March 2012
    Jonoseel wrote: »
    What time can we arrive before pax actually starts to setup our towers and monitors on friday?
    And how many prizes will there be and what will they be?

Friday morning check-in will start at 8:00AM. You'll be able to queue up probably a bit earlier, but we'll start Check-In on Friday at 8AM.

As for the prizes, well, I can't answer that. =)

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • tratnulatratnula Registered User new member
    Vapok wrote: »

Hi Tratnula,

BYOC is just that, "Bring Your Own Computer." So, unfortunately, we don't have or provide computers that people can rent for the purposes of the BYOC room. Having said that, LAN Activities are abound at PAX, and the PC Freeplay Area will have a very large number of gaming computers available that you can use free of charge for a set period of time. Many of the same games that might be happening in the BYOC area are definitely happening in the PC Freeplay area. So, while we don't allow badge sharing for BYOC, and we don't "rent" computers for the purposes of BYOC, there will be a plethora of LAN activities that you'll be able to participate in located in our PC Freeplay area.

Looking forward to seeing you at PAX! I hope I was abe to answer your questions.

-Vapok

Thanks!!! That answered my question :D. I was worried I'd miss out on some awesome LAN opportunities (this is my first PAX).

• [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2012
    Mod is starting to come together, slowly. The concept is a 40-inch longboard skateboard with oversized trucks and wheels. Center of deck pops up as 19" widescreen monitor, components below the deck. Components have been purchased, assembled, and OS installed. Destroyed a printer and 20 dollars worth of labels for the artwork so far.Wood fabrication underway, then sand, prime, paint, decals, clearcoat, assemble. Spoilerized the images below: (Edit: apparently this forum doesn't let you put images in the spoiler tags?)

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Mod is starting to come together, slowly. The concept is a 40-inch longboard skateboard with oversized trucks and wheels. Center of deck pops up as 19" widescreen monitor, components below the deck. Components have been purchased, assembled, and OS installed. Destroyed a printer and 20 dollars worth of labels for the artwork so far.Wood fabrication underway, then sand, prime, paint, decals, clearcoat, assemble. Spoilerized the images below: (Edit: apparently this forum doesn't let you put images in the spoiler tags?)

Just an FYI, if you bring that, BigRed is going to have to ride it.

7B14287.png
  • [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That could be a problem. I'm trying to build it to support a 60 pound kid, but I don't want anyone to scuff the finish, and I don't want to break the monitor via flexing the deck!

After dragging around a 225 pound steamer trunk last year, I had to do something more... nimble.

p3HkbcM.png
  • kookiekat02kookiekat02 Registered User regular
    Hi! Stupid question from me! I see that you can bring in a small cooler (lunchbox size) of snacks and drinks, but I also saw reference to being able to bring in a backpack. Would I get in trouble if there is food and drink in the backpack that will sit at my spot? Iḿ the kind of girl that tends to haul snacks and other random stuff to share with people...Hopefully not as stupid a question as I think ;-)

edited March 2012
    Hi! Stupid question from me! I see that you can bring in a small cooler (lunchbox size) of snacks and drinks, but I also saw reference to being able to bring in a backpack. Would I get in trouble if there is food and drink in the backpack that will sit at my spot? Iḿ the kind of girl that tends to haul snacks and other random stuff to share with people...Hopefully not as stupid a question as I think ;-)

No, that's not a problem as far as I know as long as you're observing the rule about no ice, and not taking up any space outside your allotted area. Nobody is going to care what's in your backpack.

zerzhul on
    edited March 2012

Though, all food must be shared with Teh Vapok. Only then will I allow it. ;-)

Just kidding! Lunch boxes and backpacks with munchies is fine. What we don't allow are actual coolers (the kind the doesn't fit into your backpack), but doesn't sound like this is an issue for you. =)

Also, as Zerzhul mentioned, ICE is no bueno. (That's "No Good" in Spanish). =) If you want to keep stuffs cold or cool I recommend those reusable blocks that you can freeze and refreeze.

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • kookiekat02kookiekat02 Registered User regular
    Thanks guys! Good to know!

That could be a problem. I'm trying to build it to support a 60 pound kid, but I don't want anyone to scuff the finish, and I don't want to break the monitor via flexing the deck!

After dragging around a 225 pound steamer trunk last year, I had to do something more... nimble.

lol

Next year do an RC Car case mod so you can drive it in.

BigRed wrote: »

lol

Next year do an RC Car case mod so you can drive it in.

This must happen.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2012
    Even better, do an RC helicopter casemod out of a high-end laptop (for battery power)

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• SnipethewolfSnipethewolf Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Even better, do an RC helicopter casemod out of a high-end laptop (for battery power)

I might have to steal this idea for Prime.

Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I might have to steal this idea for Prime.

Have at it! You think I haven't done the math? It's possible, but the components for something powerful enough to raise its computing *and* battery weight are extremely cost-prohibitive without outside funding, not to mention the safety factor. Or should I say, the complete lack of safety in flying a compu-copter around hundreds of sleep deprived BYOCers.

p3HkbcM.png
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Have at it! You think I haven't done the math? It's possible, but the components for something powerful enough to raise its computing *and* battery weight are extremely cost-prohibitive without outside funding, not to mention the safety factor. Or should I say, the complete lack of safety in flying a compu-copter around hundreds of sleep deprived BYOCers.
    Not suprisingly, the safety factor graph is almost a perfect inversion of the fun factor graph.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

Khadour wrote: »
    Not suprisingly, the safety factor graph is almost a perfect inversion of the fun factor graph.

Story of my life.

• TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    Hope I won't get judged too hard for having a storebought with upgrades. Love this thing- plays everything.

The only case related project I have coming up is to clean out my case and organize + tie all the different output wires that I had to stuff inside.

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
    Hope I won't get judged too hard for having a storebought with upgrades. Love this thing- plays everything.

The only case related project I have coming up is to clean out my case and organize + tie all the different output wires that I had to stuff inside.

Naw its cool. A lot of my spare gaming machines are OEM rigs that I got for cheap with upgraded components.

BigRed wrote: »

Naw its cool. A lot of my spare gaming machines are OEM rigs that I got for cheap with upgraded components.

Indeed, kick-ass watercooling setups, custom paint, neat lighting are fairly common but not universal, and true ground-up customs usually number only a dozen or less... at least at the last two PAX Easts.

p3HkbcM.png
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Plus it's kinda fun to have the object of your opponent's digital subjugation housed in a boring looking HP/Dell/IBM tower case.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    so with pax just a little over 3 weeks away, can we expect the tournament schedule to be posted soon?

thr4sher wrote: »
    so with pax just a little over 3 weeks away, can we expect the tournament schedule to be posted soon?

Thats not a BYOC question since PC tournaments don't have anything to do with BYOC.

• Tichinde925Tichinde925 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Me and a couple others will be playing some UT2004 @ BYOC!

We are keeping this game alive!

Our vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Zv3eqWT1Q

Tichinde925 on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Me and a couple others will be playing some UT2004 @ BYOC!

We are keeping this game alive!
    Carball ftw

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • mpizzimpizzi Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    dup post sorry

mpizzi on
    Hello, I see conflicting stories here about what is allowed and what is not.
    Some places I see a cooler is allowed like a small igloo, as long as there is no liquids and doesn't have wheels on it. Is this correct?
    I would also like to clarify a small dolly / or cart to lug in the equipment vs making a ton of trips from the car, I read that it is allowed and other places state due to unions we can not use a 2 wheel dolly or cart can you correct this please.

I also reserved 2 spots for the BYOPC and my buddy reserved one for space so we can use our 28in monitors, We should be allotted 3 outlets each since we have 3 total spots between us, so I can plug in my G19 Keyboard correct?

I know i heard BF3 is going to be played, If anyone is looking for a single person to join in a tourney let me know.
    - Handle on BF3 is Unrealized1977

mpizzi wrote: »
    Hello, I see conflicting stories here about what is allowed and what is not.
    Some places I see a cooler is allowed like a small igloo, as long as there is no liquids and doesn't have wheels on it. Is this correct?

Correct, you are allowed a small lunch sized cooler that doesnt have water ice.

I would also like to clarify a small dolly / or cart to lug in the equipment vs making a ton of trips from the car, I read that it is allowed and other places state due to unions we can not use a 2 wheel dolly or cart can you correct this please.

You are allowed to use a 4 wheeled cart on the expo floor only, otherwise 2 wheeled handtruck/dolly is fine everywhere else.

I also reserved 2 spots for the BYOPC and my buddy reserved one for space so we can use our 28in monitors, We should be allotted 3 outlets each since we have 3 total spots between us, so I can plug in my G19 Keyboard correct?

That should be fine, be sure you guys sit on the same power circuit though, if you have questions where you can sit so you are on the same circuit ask me or my staff at the event.

We just dont know what the circuit layout will be until its actually setup :)

• scosner56scosner56 Registered User regular
    Hey guys I have a bit of an odd that was probably answered but looking through this thread I did not seem to find a definite answer. A buddy of mine and I have bought and paid for our tickets to the BYOC...sweet I know. Anyways....We're driving from Western Maryland to Boston and are most likely driving the whole time in Boston since we have a hotel that is a bit of a ways from the BCEC, about 30 mins to be kind of exact, I was wondering if this: http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Personal-Hand-Truck/dp/B000HVVSDU would be acceptable to bring into the BYOC and if there will be a place to store it or of I should just run it back to the car. There was something else too...but I've forgotten...add me on Twitter or Steam if you want I have a good bit of games that could use some love....it's @scosner56 for twitter and scosner56 for Steam. See you at PAX!

Honestly I was looking at one of these to bring into the expo center for our computers only.
    http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Flatform-Wheeled-Truck/dp/B002TITK8O/ref=pd_sim_sg_1
    You said that was cool right?

Any idea if we want to part @ the expo what time we should leave and get there by to actually get onsite parking?

Will be interesting, im mostly playing battlefield 3, I hope that you have a metro server running w/no smaw/rpg and 320... otherwise it just becomes a frag fest.

scosner56 wrote: »
    Hey guys I have a bit of an odd that was probably answered but looking through this thread I did not seem to find a definite answer. A buddy of mine and I have bought and paid for our tickets to the BYOC...sweet I know. Anyways....We're driving from Western Maryland to Boston and are most likely driving the whole time in Boston since we have a hotel that is a bit of a ways from the BCEC, about 30 mins to be kind of exact, I was wondering if this: http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Personal-Hand-Truck/dp/B000HVVSDU would be acceptable to bring into the BYOC and if there will be a place to store it or of I should just run it back to the car. There was something else too...but I've forgotten...add me on Twitter or Steam if you want I have a good bit of games that could use some love....it's @scosner56 for twitter and scosner56 for Steam. See you at PAX!

There wont be space to store the cart in BYOC that isn't your seat. Id suggest putting it back in your car.

That cart is fine for anywhere in the BCEC (2 wheels is legit)

Honestly I was looking at one of these to bring into the expo center for our computers only.
    http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Flatform-Wheeled-Truck/dp/B002TITK8O/ref=pd_sim_sg_1
    You said that was cool right?

Any idea if we want to part @ the expo what time we should leave and get there by to actually get onsite parking?

Will be interesting, im mostly playing battlefield 3, I hope that you have a metro server running w/no smaw/rpg and 320... otherwise it just becomes a frag fest.

that cart is only legit if you are using the loading dock and keeping it on floor 0 (expo hall). You will not be allowed to use that cart on any other floor.

That is my only purpose is to use it on floor zero for the lan party, i dont plan on using it anywhere else but there.
    Im assuming that is cool right?