As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft2] CLOSING TIME!! GO TO THE NEW THREAD!!

• FuegograndeFuegogrande Registered User regular
    narwhal wrote: »
    Okay, what is with you people. Regardless of your country or age, y'all say "fair enough." I've never heard anyone say this up until like a month ago and suddenly it's a thing.

And it's not anyone else, just PA people.

Fair enough,

340522-1.png
    get your own starcraft 2 signature at sc2sig.com

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the Zerg stop droning."-Name redacted
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    tense game mkp vs puma

great casting team :D

where?

and is it over?

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/IronSquid

that game just ended. puma up 1-0

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ImpyrockerImpyrocker Registered User regular
    MC is playin terran now. Its... pretty amusing.

1345301-1.png
    Quasi ignis
    Flamma inferno
    Igne cutis
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I will never not think that Pew-mah is the silliest word that any british person has ever said.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Oh, the colors are backwards, I was so confused.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    so weird, they were correct last game

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm getting the sense that I should stop playing Zerg, because I'm really bad at figuring out what my opponent is doing and then building the thing that counters that.

On top of just being bad at spending money and scouting and stuff.

Houn on
    I loved the 'taste of your own medicine' aspect of that last game.

• ImpyrockerImpyrocker Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm getting the sense that I should stop playing Zerg, because I'm really bad at figuring out what my opponent is doing and then building the thing that counters that.

Zerg are actually the least, 'He's building this, so I need to build this' race. For instance, in each different matchup, there is a much more standard set of units that you'll build as zerg.

Instead of deciding what unit to build, its often more a matter of, "How much of this unit should I build?"

1345301-1.png
    Quasi ignis
    Flamma inferno
    Igne cutis
    Impyrocker wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »

Zerg are actually the least, 'He's building this, so I need to build this' race. For instance, in each different matchup, there is a much more standard set of units that you'll build as zerg.

Instead of deciding what unit to build, its often more a matter of, "How much of this unit should I build?"

Wait wait, what? Not sure that is right. In ZvT the standards are ling/bling/muta or ling/infestor but if the terran goes mech you need roaches. You have to scout that to know what to do, and the terran decides what the zerg's build is. Against protoss many zerg use roach only or roach/hydra to clear out gateway units, but if they have robo tech you have to have spire tech because blink stalker colossus will wreck roaches alone (and absolutely crush any hydras). Terran on the other hand can get away with marine tank in TvZ and TvT. Instead of reacting to what the zerg does terran force the zerg to react. With protoss the zerg has to be constantly aware of where the protoss is in his tech so he can make sure he is ready for it. +1 zealot stomps on zerglings so you have to have roaches, several colossi wreck roaches so you have to have corruptors, etc. With ZvZ it is just a matter of reacting to when they get things like roaches so you aren't engaging a mass or roaches with ling/bling and getting stomped, or seeing they have mutas so you can make sure to have infestors up to fungal them.

tl;dr

Zerg is based around reacting to what the other player is doing more so than terran at least, I don't know enough about how protoss handles multiple matchups to say much about them, but to say they are the least is incorrect. At least, that's how I see it.

340522-1.png

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the Zerg stop droning."-Name redacted
  • RedOneRedOne Registered User regular
    everyone knows that zerg is the one true skill master race anyway and all other races are broken or OP

1495255-1.png?1331518337
    If Zergs knew what was going on 100% of the time I don't think they could ever lose. Thank god for walls and guys with guns.

Yilias wrote: »
    If Zergs knew what was going on 100% of the time I don't think they could ever lose. Thank god for walls and guys with guns.

"No amount of creativity will get a drone past a wall-in or an overlord past a marine." - Greg "IdrA" Fields

340522-1.png

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Seriously. If I was going to maphack, I would play Zerg because there would be absolutely no way to lose no matter what, ever.

So... yes, stop playing Zerg until my mechanics and game sense improve, or no, keep playing Zerg to improve your mechanics and game sense?

• SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Seriously. If I was going to maphack, I would play Zerg because there would be absolutely no way to lose no matter what, ever.

No amount of creativity will ensure you inject on time every time.

Knowing a bunch of units are coming won't help you if you have no larvae ;)

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Keep playing Zerg if you enjoy playing Zerg. Play another race if you enjoy them more.

Seguer wrote: »

No amount of creativity will ensure you inject on time every time.

Knowing a bunch of units are coming won't help you if you have no larvae ;)

yes but i am a supergrandmaster

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    As far as money goes how much do the players make for streaming? With LoL that seems to be the main income stream for most of the pro players.

Neaden wrote: »
    As far as money goes how much do the players make for streaming? With LoL that seems to be the main income stream for most of the pro players.

“For JTV streams, I'm pretty sure the figure is 0.2 cents per ad per viewer ($0.002/ad/viewer)” - Destiny

340522-1.png

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Eh. I agree that zerg would be the strongest if both players map hacked.

If you can tailor your cheese to exactly what your enemy is doing and they can't do the same, though, protoss is the choice of anti-champions. Deezer, CombatEx, etc.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    So for someone who maintains 500 viewers constantly, everytime they show an advert they get $1

Given most streamers show an average of 2 ads between games, thats essentially $2 per game they play even if they are a relatively successful one.

Thats not very much money. Even for the players who get 4k viewers or more like Tyler or Destiny, they're making $8 per ad.

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So basically $16 - $24 per hour for the most successful pastries.

So for someone who maintains 500 viewers constantly, everytime they show an advert they get $1

Given most streamers show an average of 2 ads between games, thats essentially $2 per game they play even if they are a relatively successful one.

Thats not very much money. Even for the players who get 4k viewers or more like Tyler or Destiny, they're making $8 per ad.

Also, people with adblock plus or similar addons blocking the adds aren't counted toward their income.

340522-1.png

Also, people with adblock plus or similar addons blocking the adds aren't counted toward their income.

Those people disgust me. Fucking assholes.

Those people disgust me. Fucking assholes.

Well fuck me.

340522-1.png

$1 per ad per 500 viewers.

Assumption - most players play 2 ads per game - once at the beginning when they hit queue, once at the end of a game while they are checking their internet stuff between games.

Figure an average of 3 games per hour (15-20 minutes per game, 5-10 mins spent checking internet/not playing). Thats $6 per hour per 500 viewers.

Assumption - 6 hours a day of streaming (even the most active streamers don't really go above this.
    Assumption - 6 day streaming work week.

That provides a monthly income of $864 per 500 viewers, for a total yearly income (before tax) of $10,368 per 500 viewers.

tl;dr
    Around 10,000 per year before tax per 500 viewers, assuming 6 hours a day and 6 days a week, with 2 ads per game.

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Doesn't sound too bad for supplemental income that doubles as practice.

A quick look at the TL stream list shows

Destiny at 4k viewers
    Catz at 1.4k
    Maj0r at ~500
    oGsJookto at ~300

edited March 2012
    Czb0D.png
    (Destiny's ad revenue for March 2011, when he was with JTV)

KUQCe.jpg
    (Destiny's ad revenue from own3Dtv, New Years)

own3D has a NDA on revenue and Destiny's stream was taken down for showing this while he was drunk.

Fuegogrande on
    340522-1.png

Wow, that means Destiny makes 80k a year.

So assuming Own3d's figures are similar to twitch.tv (and they probably are fairly similar), Destiny could be making close to $80,000 a year before tax.

better than most high school teachers who also went to a university for their degrees

welp

1495255-1.png?1331518337
    Well yeah, but you can become a high school teacher far more easily than you can become a top Starcraft player with 4k viewers.

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Also a high school teacher can keeping teaching once rsi out arthritis set in

Well yeah, but you can become a high school teacher far more easily than you can become a top Starcraft player with 4k viewers.

Perhaps, but if you were to take all the hours that is put into 4-6 years of university and devote it to practicing a game like SC2 or whatever, I imagine you could achieve pro-level.

I mean

that is a LOT of starcraft

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I believe own3D.tv's payouts are slightly more than twitch, or, they have offered more to particular streamers in order to get them to use their service over a competitor's

Hrm. Guess I'll keep my day job.

RedOne wrote: »

Perhaps, but if you were to take all the hours that is put into 4-6 years of university and devote it to practicing a game like SC2 or whatever, I imagine you could achieve pro-level.

I mean

that is a LOT of starcraft

True, but then there's no guarantee you'll make the 4k viewers.

forGG streams too, and I've never seen him above 800 viewers. Compare that with Destiny who I've never seen below 2k in the last year, and you can easily see its not about pure skill. forGG would leave Destiny for dead when it comes to raw ability and skill, but doesn't have the same attraction on stream (personality-wise).

Its hard to put yourself in the shoes of someone who has chosen to make a career out of progaming. yeah, they do have a pretty good job - 80,000 a year is pretty good money for what is essentially playing a game. But when you have to take the game as seriously as you do to be pro, you lose something in the transition from an amateur. When I play Starcraft I enjoy it. If I don't feel like playing on a given day, I just don't play and I do something else like another game, or watch TV, or whatever. When a progamer wakes up and doesn't feel like playing, too bad. He has a tournament to practise for, probably, and he may have a team who will be very upset with him if they know he's taking a day off practise for no good reason.